Start by marking “Irish Tweed (Nuala Anne McGrail, #12)” as Want to Read:
Irish Tweed (Nuala Anne McGrail, #12)

Irish Tweed (Nuala Anne McGrail #12)

Countless readers have been delighted by Father Andrew M. Greeley's bestselling tales of Nuala Anne McGrail, a fey, Irish-speaking woman blessed with the gift of second sight, and her husband and accomplice, Dermot Michael Coyne.

In Irish Tweed, Nuala Anne and her daughter have taken up karate to fight off schoolyard bullies who are harassing the family, while their incredi
Published December 29th 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Tweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Tweed

John Hanscom
Jan 14, 2010 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Greeley writes the same book over and over - but they are so much fun!
Catherine
Not having read the first 12 editions, I found this one hard to understand. I did like the little bit of history, and the characters were quite interesting. Perhaps I should read more of Greeleys work before passing judgement.
Joan
Jul 10, 2010 Joan rated it liked it
I've read Andrew Greeley's books steadily since my 21st birthday - when a friend insisted that I spend the birthday money she sent me on 'The Cardinal Sins'. They can be counted on to be a reasonable story in the 'campfire' or 'dark and stormy night' tradition. Interesting characters, good and evil clearly identified, a little bit of history about Ireland and Chicago, social commentary, romance and frequently a mystery are the common elements to many of his books. After reading his books I'm oft ...more
R.J. Murphy
Sep 08, 2011 R.J. Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greeley's 12th and probably final Nuala Anne McGrail novel. It was nice to visit with the Coyne family again: Chicago's Dermot Michael Coyne, Irish Nuala Anne McGrail Coyne, their four kids and two Irish wolfhounds. The kids are getting older and Nula is finally over the insecurities that she wasted so much time with in the earlier books. As with all of the Nuala novels there is a modern story intertwined with a historical mystery. This time the historical mystery was more of a fairytale about a ...more
Colleen
I concurFamine of 1875 ( with Mr. Love. Nuala & Dermosdt's Deaksdfkwerkjbsdgsdgstory is suddenly & unbelievably finished up, very little development. I'm happy he deals with the theme of bullying and standing up for truth through them, though. The historical story within the story is nugget-laden and well worth the read, as anything is that Father Greeley puts out. I suspect this was hurriedly finished up due to his accident. Wish him well in his recovery and hope the world who doesn't y ...more
Rachel
Dec 25, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Pat
Jun 14, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book on many levels. The characters are feisty and fun, and I learned a little about Irish American 'dialect' . It's a little distracting to remember that the author is a priest when reading about the romantic sex life of the main characters, but what do I know? I was raised Lutheran. Sad to think this is the author's last book as he died on the day I was reading it. I'll certainly read others in the series.
Mascanlon
The newest Nuala Anne McGrail story from Andrew Greeley. I have always loved his stories whether set n my hometown Chicago or in Ireland the land of my fore bearers. His plotting is always far fetched but his adult characters are such vivid examples of adult's in a joyful, passionate relationship and a church that truly believes in the love of God that I never care. Woven in is a tale of a young Irish immigrant in the late nineteenth century who lands in Chicago.
Dave
Mar 12, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
I liked the writing style of a story within the story. The inner story of 19th century Ireland migration to USA and American medical practices captivated my intersts more so than the outer story of modern day typical struggles of a family, where at times I found the dialog style of writing hard to follow. But overall a very good read.
Ann
Mar 09, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another mystery involving Nuala Anne and her spear carrier Dermot. Andrew Greeley keeps using the same story line over and over, mystery from long ago, evil, crazy woman with male counterpoint for Nuala to do battle with. The book is a quick read, but if you've read any of the other Nuala Anne mysteries, you know how the story flows.
Spencer St Clair
Jun 17, 2013 Spencer St Clair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-reading of this, the final Nuala-Anne tale. It was far from my favorite, but still 4 stars. There were several reviews (this was their first Greeley book in each case) who said that there wasn't much character development of Nuala-Anne and Dermott.. well, that happened in the first 11 books. Why would anyone start a series with #12? This is my 25th Greeley book!
Geno
Jan 09, 2013 Geno rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by this author. I was disappointed and somewhat confused by the characters and storyline. I really did not understand what was going on in several parts of the book. There was no development of the characters and I felt the book was a lot of rambling. The book is described as somewhat of a mystery which is really not the case. Bizarre.
Carol
Jun 06, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I chose this because I usually enjoy reading about Ireland or its people, and also, I was hoping to find a new series to delve into. I did not find this to be a particularly well-written book. (I forgot, I wonder if he ended sentences in prepositions, too? :) I don't think I will follow this series.
Janetlmccarthy
Feb 25, 2009 Janetlmccarthy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky me! First to read this brand new copy as I was number one on the wait list at my local library. I recently [Decemebr 2008 / January 2009:] read all of the other books in the Nuala Anne series so I am looking forward to learning something new in this one. DId I mention that they all teach a bit of history? An added bonus!
Kathryn
This is a typical Nuala Anne book. I'm conflicted on whether I liked the convergence of stories better in this one, or not - I do think the connection between the various mysteries was more clear in this one, but I'm not sure if I like that.
May 01, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on the "What's New" bookshelf at the library, not realizing there were previous books in the series. If I had read the other books before, maybe I would have understood and enjoyed this more.
Joan
Apr 06, 2009 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one didn't meet my expectation. The plot was pretty unrealistic and there wasn't much mystery. Seemed to have been written in a hurry; even Dermot and Nuala Anne weren't fully developed characters. Hope the next one (if there is a next one) is more like the previous books in this series.
Linda Watkins
Apr 09, 2014 Linda Watkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Andrew Greeley! I am sad this is his last Nula Ann book! If you have liked others in this series, you'll like this one too!
Susan Reed
Oct 15, 2015 Susan Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vacation, fiction
fun, easy read
Tinannie
Couldn't sleep...a calm way to celebrate St. Paddy....I don't know how he turns out so many...feel good book....I have an Irish native pastor so I enjoyed the language....
Michele
Jul 08, 2009 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I keep telling myself I won't read any more of these - the characters are so annoying! And here I am...
Carolyn
Mar 29, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it
I always enjoy the connection of past history and present time in this series. The school plot in this one is somewhat unbelievable but an enjoyable read
Joyce McKune
Jun 29, 2010 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bullies on the school yard. Rebels torch the Southport house.
Patricia Mick
May 08, 2015 Patricia Mick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love these books !so sad that this was the last nualu anne book
Lanee
E Book
Robin
May 21, 2009 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the Greeley books in this series. This one was a bit light on history, but always enjoy hearing about the family.
Shannon
Aug 12, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Not one of the better Nuala Anne books - too short :(
Suzanne
Apr 04, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
Always a favorite author...excellent!
Laurie
Laurie rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2008
Rod Peeks
Rod Peeks rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Dead Bore (John Pickett Mysteries, #2)
  • Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • Death of a Second Wife (Dotsy Lamb, #4)
  • Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Sins of the Fathers (Family Tree, #2)
  • Irish Blood
  • Living Witness (Gregor Demarkian, #24)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • Take the Star Road (The Maxwell Saga, #1)
  • Love Mercy (Love Mercy Johnson, #1)
  • The Tale of Oat Cake Crag (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #7)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • A Cruel Deceit (Lieutenant Bak, #6)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • Death Called to the Bar (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #5)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Nuala Anne McGrail (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)
  • Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Nuala Anne McGrail, #5)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Irish Cream (Nuala Anne McGrail, #8)
  • Irish Crystal (Nuala Anne McGrail, #9)
  • Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)