Start by marking “Irish Tweed: A Nuala Anne McGrail Novel” as Want to Read:
Irish Tweed: A Nuala Anne McGrail Novel

Irish Tweed: A Nuala Anne McGrail Novel (Nuala Anne McGrail #12)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Countless readers have been delighted by Father Andrew M. Greeley’s bestselling tales of Nuala Anne McGrail, a fey, Irish-speaking woman blessed with the gift of second sight, and her husband and accomplice, Dermot Michael Coyne.

In Irish Tweed, Nuala Anne and her daughter have taken up karate to fight off schoolyard bullies who are harassing the family, while their incredi
Published December 29th 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Tweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Tweed

John Hanscom
Andrew Greeley writes the same book over and over - but they are so much fun!
Joan
I've read Andrew Greeley's books steadily since my 21st birthday - when a friend insisted that I spend the birthday money she sent me on 'The Cardinal Sins'. They can be counted on to be a reasonable story in the 'campfire' or 'dark and stormy night' tradition. Interesting characters, good and evil clearly identified, a little bit of history about Ireland and Chicago, social commentary, romance and frequently a mystery are the common elements to many of his books. After reading his books I'm oft ...more
R.J. Murphy
Greeley's 12th and probably final Nuala Anne McGrail novel. It was nice to visit with the Coyne family again: Chicago's Dermot Michael Coyne, Irish Nuala Anne McGrail Coyne, their four kids and two Irish wolfhounds. The kids are getting older and Nula is finally over the insecurities that she wasted so much time with in the earlier books. As with all of the Nuala novels there is a modern story intertwined with a historical mystery. This time the historical mystery was more of a fairytale about a ...more
Colleen
I concurFamine of 1875 ( with Mr. Love. Nuala & Dermosdt's Deaksdfkwerkjbsdgsdgstory is suddenly & unbelievably finished up, very little development. I'm happy he deals with the theme of bullying and standing up for truth through them, though. The historical story within the story is nugget-laden and well worth the read, as anything is that Father Greeley puts out. I suspect this was hurriedly finished up due to his accident. Wish him well in his recovery and hope the world who doesn't y ...more
Rachel
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Linda Watkins
I love Andrew Greeley! I am sad this is his last Nula Ann book! If you have liked others in this series, you'll like this one too!
Mascanlon
The newest Nuala Anne McGrail story from Andrew Greeley. I have always loved his stories whether set n my hometown Chicago or in Ireland the land of my fore bearers. His plotting is always far fetched but his adult characters are such vivid examples of adult's in a joyful, passionate relationship and a church that truly believes in the love of God that I never care. Woven in is a tale of a young Irish immigrant in the late nineteenth century who lands in Chicago.
Pat
I enjoyed this book on many levels. The characters are feisty and fun, and I learned a little about Irish American 'dialect' . It's a little distracting to remember that the author is a priest when reading about the romantic sex life of the main characters, but what do I know? I was raised Lutheran. Sad to think this is the author's last book as he died on the day I was reading it. I'll certainly read others in the series.
Spencer St Clair
This is a re-reading of this, the final Nuala-Anne tale. It was far from my favorite, but still 4 stars. There were several reviews (this was their first Greeley book in each case) who said that there wasn't much character development of Nuala-Anne and Dermott.. well, that happened in the first 11 books. Why would anyone start a series with #12? This is my 25th Greeley book!
Geno
This is my first book by this author. I was disappointed and somewhat confused by the characters and storyline. I really did not understand what was going on in several parts of the book. There was no development of the characters and I felt the book was a lot of rambling. The book is described as somewhat of a mystery which is really not the case. Bizarre.
Janetlmccarthy
Feb 25, 2009 Janetlmccarthy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky me! First to read this brand new copy as I was number one on the wait list at my local library. I recently [Decemebr 2008 / January 2009:] read all of the other books in the Nuala Anne series so I am looking forward to learning something new in this one. DId I mention that they all teach a bit of history? An added bonus!
Ann
Another mystery involving Nuala Anne and her spear carrier Dermot. Andrew Greeley keeps using the same story line over and over, mystery from long ago, evil, crazy woman with male counterpoint for Nuala to do battle with. The book is a quick read, but if you've read any of the other Nuala Anne mysteries, you know how the story flows.
Dave
I liked the writing style of a story within the story. The inner story of 19th century Ireland migration to USA and American medical practices captivated my intersts more so than the outer story of modern day typical struggles of a family, where at times I found the dialog style of writing hard to follow. But overall a very good read.
Carol
I chose this because I usually enjoy reading about Ireland or its people, and also, I was hoping to find a new series to delve into. I did not find this to be a particularly well-written book. (I forgot, I wonder if he ended sentences in prepositions, too? :) I don't think I will follow this series.
Joan
This one didn't meet my expectation. The plot was pretty unrealistic and there wasn't much mystery. Seemed to have been written in a hurry; even Dermot and Nuala Anne weren't fully developed characters. Hope the next one (if there is a next one) is more like the previous books in this series.
Kathryn
This is a typical Nuala Anne book. I'm conflicted on whether I liked the convergence of stories better in this one, or not - I do think the connection between the various mysteries was more clear in this one, but I'm not sure if I like that.
I picked this book up on the "What's New" bookshelf at the library, not realizing there were previous books in the series. If I had read the other books before, maybe I would have understood and enjoyed this more.
Tinannie
Couldn't sleep...a calm way to celebrate St. Paddy....I don't know how he turns out so many...feel good book....I have an Irish native pastor so I enjoyed the language....
Carolyn
I always enjoy the connection of past history and present time in this series. The school plot in this one is somewhat unbelievable but an enjoyable read
Robin
I've read all the Greeley books in this series. This one was a bit light on history, but always enjoy hearing about the family.
Michele
I keep telling myself I won't read any more of these - the characters are so annoying! And here I am...
Joyce McKune
Bullies on the school yard. Rebels torch the Southport house.
Shannon
Not one of the better Nuala Anne books - too short :(
Suzanne
Always a favorite author...excellent!
Kathy Horgan
Too Irish brogue cutesy for me
Angela
Sep 07, 2008 Angela marked it as to-read
pub date 2/17/09
Susan
Jan 05, 2010 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Andrew Greeley fans
Savored what may be the last Nuala novel....I miss our prolific friend, Father Greeley, and ALL his musings, whether fiction or non-fiction....God be with you, dear man.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise
  • Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19)
  • Sins of the Fathers (Family Tree, #2)
  • Living Witness (Gregor Demarkian, #24)
  • City of Dreams (Peter Fallon, #4)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Take the Star Road (The Maxwell Saga, #1)
  • Irish Blood
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • Bone Walker (The Anasazi Mysteries, #3)
  • The Tale of Oat Cake Crag (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #7)
  • Love Mercy
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)
  • Death and the Lit Chick (A St. Just Mystery, #2)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)