Start by marking “Driven (Northern Waste, #1)” as Want to Read:
Driven (Northern Waste, #1)

Driven (Northern Waste #1)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,081 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
ROAD WARRIOR
Raina Bowen knows she can handle herself just fine against anything the harsh Northern Waste throws at her. Until it throws her an enigmatic stranger called Wizard. First, she has to haul him out of a brawl he can't hope to win. And next, her libido is shooting into overdrive at the feel of his hard body pressed against hers on the back of her snowscooter. But
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Driven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driven

new_user
Everyone compares Eve Kenin's Driven to Mad Max, and I see it. Her world's barren, dog-eat-dog, and Raina Bowen's a road warrior racing the clock to deliver a package and fighting against black-gummed, post-apocalyptic savages sponsored by government and bad business.

Sounds good, huh?

I enjoyed unfolding the rules of the Northern Wastes, but Kenin's delivery leaves something to be desired. Her narration's cumbersome and lacking immediacy in part because of meta-cognition like this: "Shaking her h
Beanbag Love
May 25, 2014 Beanbag Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book because of Book Bub's sale alerts and thought the blurb looked pretty good. So, so happy that happened!

Raina Bowen drives a high-tech big rig through the post-apocalyptic Siberian wastelands. The New Government Order is supposed to secure a safe and peaceful existence even in this crummy, frozen region, but cronyism has actually secured a ridiculous amount of power to one man. The man who wants to torture Raina to death.

Raina meets Wizard when she "saves" him from her nemesis's
Felicia
Aug 21, 2010 Felicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaginal-sf
Oh romance-sci-fi, you are so erratic. There were many things derivative of every Sci-fi movie ever in this book: Mad Max and Terminator being the biggest.

Yes, I still read it (and it was enjoyable in a clunky kinda way), yes the hero is a dude named "Wizard", yes, I think the lady on the plane next to me glanced at my Kindle when the words "thick c$#$" were at the top of the page, and it was uncomfortable after that. Sigh.

I think this is a first book by the author and will try the next book in
Willow
I love the world for this book. Ice truckers fighting it out in a frozen wasteland is such a cool idea. I thought the romance was sweet. The characters are pretty cool, and the dialogue was well done. The prose wasn’t sappy or flowery and the love scenes erotic.

I’ve read some reviews that say this book is like Mad Max and I suppose with the ice truckers and pirates there is some similarity. Actually, there are lots of little tidbits and homage that made me think of other SciFi movies and televi
Mara
Feb 13, 2013 Mara rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, futuristic
I didn't know what Driven was about when I downloaded it. I thought it might be some futuristic UF or the similar. I did not expect what I found.

The book has a great idea, if not at all new. A world after the apocalypse with the rich dominating with lies and strength (mafia-like) and the rest of the population fighting for survival. Well, this is the idea only, as what we get is much, much less. There's close to no world-building, but thank God no info-dump. At least the back-story is woven in
Melanie
Recommended by: LovLivLife Reviews (Chasity)

Thank you Chasity - without you having put this on my radar, I would have been deprived of this thoroughly entertaining futuristic romance!

Wow! I really loved this book. Set in a dystopic future after two nuclear wars where Earth's northern hemisphere is crippled by nuclear winter, we meet Raina Bowen, a tough, solitary ice trucker. A contestant in an ice trucking race to deliver goods to a northern outpost, she's arranged to meet a enigmatic mercenar
Snarktastic Sonja
This was the last in the series of paranormal romances that I managed to pick up back to back. Even though this is arguably more sci-fi than paranormal – it is still romance. HEAVILY romance. It starts off all gung-ho – gal in race to win multi-million dollar prize. And said gal has to save guy from his own stupidity. Based on the first few pages available in the sample, it felt as if it will be an action packed science fiction adventure romance. That feeling quickly faded as I moved forward in ...more
Maqluba
I think I was looking for more...everything here was very shallow, and I didn't really connect with the characters on a deep level.

It's not a bad read but after you've read a bunch of these types of books (view spoiler) then you need something new. The set up for this one was interesting until about a quarter of the way in the heroine started to get sappy and/or horny all the time and I lost interest in her. I also think the hero didn't sound rob
♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity)
Absolutely fantastic read!!!!!!

IMG_3884

I took Driven with me on my hike to read while taking a small break and I almost didn't want to stop to come back down the mountain! Taken on Ko'olau Summit Trail (KST) between Mariner's Ridge and Kamehame, O'ahu, Hawai'i.

My official review of books one and two, combined:

These books are from my personal shelf and boy am I pleased with my selections!

Eve Kenin a.k.a. Eve Silver is a highly talented writer. I've read her paranormal series and now this sci-fi series a
Carolyn F.
I kept putting off reading this book until the day it was due and realize I shouldn't have. The cover made me think it would read like a comic book, which it did a little but was a whole lot more.

This is a post-apocalyptic book after two nuclear wars happen and the top half of the world is a winter "Waste" land. Raina is a truck driver waiting for a man named Wizard to give her a pass so that she'll be able to maybe win a trucking race. Things don't go as planned and Wizard ends up catching a r
Linda
I first read DRIVEN when it came out in 2007 but I wasn't writing reviews for books back then. I shelved it as a 'keeper' and five years later I decided to read it again. Eve Silver wrote this SHOMI love story along with its sequel HIDDEN under the alias Eve Kenin after writing a couple of historical romances with some bite. She is currently publishing The Otherkin/Sins books at the present time.

I would venture to guess that this short series was aimed at the 18 and up crowd but it you enjoy fut
Sandra
This was actually really good. While I enjoyed the first half, I was prepared to give it 3 stars. But something happened around the middle of the book, and the characters became more real to me. Raina and Wizard are both multi-dimensional characters with a lot of issues, and while these caused the usual turmoil they didn't become aggravating to read about because they were very real and raw. I teared up when Raina found out what Wizard had done because, while I understood his actions and didn't ...more
Cindy
Sep 03, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Good read, action plot. Futuristic ice truckers in a post-apocalypse world... It has likable characters [with a twist in Wizard's case] and a page turning plot.

The 'frozen wastelands' make a great read for those hot and sticky summer months. Threads are placed for future books. Read in order.

Driven (2007)
Hidden (2008)

Note: Pen name for Eve Silver
Min
May 23, 2015 Min rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Raina started out with such promise. Unfortunately, she quickly lost all her badass cred when she almost immediately begins obsessing over Wizard, to the point where she's acting (apparently) so far out of character that she makes very poor decisions. And the endless thinking about how hot he is or how much she lusts after him - it got old really fast. So I skimmed. A lot.
The world itself was interesting. Unfortunately, that is the most positive thing I can say about the book. The writing style
MandyM
Re-reading this excellent book for the Sci-fi Romance group's September Book of the Month. I love this story, action packed, great romance, won plenty of awards in 2007!
Albert Yates
What an exceptional story.

Yes, this story is great and I rated it 3 stars, why? The romance, I'm really not a fan of romance novels and having a few detailed sex scenes in this story really turned me off.

Otherwise the story of Raina and Wizard as they drove their truck across a frozen Wilderness, learning about how their pasts have impacted one another's lives without ever knowing each other, was exceptional. The action sequences were well thought out and would have been on par with something
Claire
Glad to see I'm not the only one who liked this! Sure, it's not going to win any "high literature" awards, but it was a fun and fast read. To me, this is what you would get if you mixed Ice Road Truckers and Mad Max (and yes I'm really excited for the new movie, and not only because TOM HARDY). Slightly over-the-top, full of out-sized personalities and cliches, but a fun summer popcorn flick.

I agree that even the revised edition I read could have used some more editing. There was a LOT of inter
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Driven is the reason why I downloaded the Kindle app onto my phone. I couldn't find the book anywhere and was dying to reading. Dying.

Alot of people compared it to Mad Max and I love me some Mad Max.

Raina Bowen is a long haul truck driver who lives in a post apocalyptic world. There was a situation and it involved things that were nuclear. The world's run by big business that calls itself the New Government Something Or Other. What else, what else...? Oh. There's alot of ice and snow.

Okay, so
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Driven by Eve Silver

A post-apocalyptic, trans-Siberian trucker tale in the Northern Waste. Huh?
A dark futuristic, hard-life, survivor romance.

Raina Bowen survives and travels on her own. It's her choice. It's what she knows. "She doesn't need anyone." Then she rescues Wizard from a group of truckers intending to beat him. So now they are traveling together in her long-haul truck. They go back to the truck stop to help the rag-tag band of kids living there. And eventually find that the really nas
Danielle
Jan 12, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Claire
Oct 13, 2011 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Driven is a Science Fiction Romance book written by Eve Kenin, which is set in a post apocalyptic world where there has been two nuclear wars. The world is run by a corrupt Government and a bad guy called Duncan Blane. Extreme temperatures exist with the Northern part of the Earth a frozen waste land. Nothing grows there and it is dark most of the day, the only way people can survive is by getting goods transported in by truckers. One of those truckers is a woman called Raina Bowen and she is in ...more
Janice (Janicu)
Aug 23, 2008 Janice (Janicu) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, wow, this book exceeded my expectations. The writer portrays a futuristic landscape - post nuclear with extreme climate changes, governed by a corrupt New Government Organization and by big business (headed by bad guy Duncan Bane). There are two extremely interesting protagonists. Raina Bowen is in hiding from Duncan Bane, and determined to win the 50 million interdollars awarded in to the first trucker to deliver their cargo to Gladow Station. Wizard is the contact she was supposed to meet ...more
Kim
Sep 01, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction, romance, manga
This book is part of Dorchester Publishing's new SHOMI line, a line of romance books geared towards younger readers, with spiffy manga style covers and futuristic plot lines. After reading ,Driven, I am curious to check out the other books from this line. Driven is the story of Raina Kenin, who drives a rig in the Northern Wastes of Siberia, and Wizard, from whom she arranges to purchase a trucker's license, giving her the upper hand in a race to Gladow. Of course, Wizard is Not What He Seems, a ...more
gert
Nov 15, 2010 gert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is one of those books that i finished, then promptly purchased the next one in the series. (ebooks - awesome, but bad for someone with no self-control). finished the series, then promptly purchased another book, same author (different pen name), different series....

and i'll continue to go through them all until i'm done.

i loved this book. i don't just like my heroines spunky, i like them truly bad-ass. and i like my heroes to be just a tad less then smooth and gentlemanly. this book paid ou
Leslie
Oct 09, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this title because it sounded like a really solid sci-fi romance. I wasn't wrong. Eve Kenin's bleak (and really cold!) post-apocalyptic world is full of danger and just plain nasty bad guys.

Luckily, Raina is a plucky and tough heroine who can take care of herself and the cargo she is hauling in her rig. Wizard is another tough guy with a personality seemingly as cold as the frigid weather that surrounds him. Both have pasts that will eventually affect their future.

Truck stops in the
Katyana
May 24, 2015 Katyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Fun, fast read that I really enjoyed.

I'd quibble a bit about the ending - it pulled together too neatly, and Raina forgave a lot of stuff so easily that, I think, it really undercut the seriousness of the situation and of the betrayal.

I understand that she'd have gotten there. I just would have found it more believable if it had taken more time, and if there was some groveling, because honestly, the betrayal was shitty.

But it's a quibble, because I did enjoy the heck out of it, and will definit
Scott
May 06, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was... I can't even get this out...

This was like something whipped up in a romance novel blend-o-meter. Pretty much every tired trope is trotted out here. Female protagonist that feels she has something to prove, male protagonist who is good at everything which results in the female protagonist feeling like she has even more to prove. Oh, and they're both ridiculously attractive and want each other immediately on meeting.

This thing comes down to a wannabe Firefly. While I initially tho
Anna Neal
This book was Max Mad in the tundra with a capable female protagonist. I read the whole thing and enjoyed the action scenes but I probably wouldn't recommend this one. The male lead's name was Wizard...
I'm not sure how that name got tied down but it pulled me out of the book every time. The protagonist, Raina's inner thoughts were also relentless and repetitive. If we took all her thoughts about her past from the book it would be a short book, but a better book. Also almost every person in the w
Jody Wallace
An enjoyable post-apocalypic action-adventure with a mostly capable heroine. This isn't a spoiler because it happens at the beginning of the book but my least favorite part was how it got started -- with the otherwise savvy heroine doing something stupid. I wish the author could have had the wordcount to do more in depth worldbuilding, like some historical background of how the world came to be the way it was, but I suspect that's the genre restraint more than the author.
Jenn
May 05, 2015 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this for the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club, May 2015.

First off, I read this as part of an 8 book bundle called Women of the Apocalypse. It was on sale for only $.99 and cheaper than just getting the book I wanted. Can I tell you that I hated reading it this way? Especially since I really just wanted it to be over and I had NO idea where I was at in it since all 8 books were smooshed together in one big file. Blech.

This is something I never would have picked up on my own. The premise was fine,
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Driven Casting 27 120 Jun 02, 2015 05:34PM
  • Wired
  • Twist
  • Finders Keepers
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Alternity
  • Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1)
  • Collision (Colliding Worlds Trilogy, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Beyond the Rain (Realms Beyond, #1)
  • Assassins in Love (Assassins Guild, #1)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Phenomenal Girl 5 (Elite Hands of Justice, #1)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Wanderlust (Sirantha Jax, #2)
Bestselling, award-winning author Eve Silver writes dark contemporary paranormals and historical suspense. As Eve Kenin she writes speculative romance. Her work has garnered starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and Library Journal, Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Awards, and was listed by Library Journal among its Best Books 2007.

Eve holds two post-secondary degrees. She is an instructor of h
More about Eve Kenin...

Northern Waste (2 books)
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)