Start by marking “Y Is for Yowl!: A Scary Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Y Is for Yowl!: A Scary Alphabet

Y Is for Yowl!: A Scary Alphabet

These arent your baby sisters ABC books! Alphabet Fun titles use high interest topics like pirates and pom poms to promote letter recognition for emergent readers. Fun facts on each subject provide satisfying content for kids who want to know about cool stuff!
Published July 1st 2009 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about Y Is for Yowl!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y Is for Yowl!

Kristina
Aug 31, 2011 Kristina rated it did not like it
I think kids who are of an age where they are learning the alphabet, this book was too scary. M for Monster, Z for Zombie, T for Troll, and the worst by far K for Knife Thrower (exactly what are we trying to teach preschool kids here??). And the use of photographs instead of cartoon drawings made it just that much worse. If your older kids like spooky Halloween type stuff and are willing to sit through an alphabet book, great. Poor combo of topics (alphabet/scary) by the author/publisher, I ...more
Catherine
Aug 07, 2013 Catherine rated it did not like it
As the title states, this is a scary alphabet book. I think it would appeal to middle graders (grades 3-5), especially boys. It includes Aliens, Cobwebs, Insects and Zombies. If I included it in my Fourth garde classroom I would expect some complaints from sqeamish students, and possibly parents. For some other classrooms, it might work. To it's credit, it includes a glossary.
Traci Bold
Apr 02, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Definitely a creepy picture book to get you thinking about everything spooky. Fun read especially for Halloween time or around campfire.

Written and illustrated by Laura Purdie Salas. Published by Capstone Press.

#alphabet #spooky #creepy
Meghan
Feb 01, 2010 Meghan rated it did not like it
The text is much too sophisticated for an ABC book reader and the photographs are lame and amateurish. Not recommended.
Inara
Apr 07, 2015 Inara rated it did not like it
From Inara's mom: This is way too scary for an alphabet book for young children. We only skimmed it. I was not trying to give Inara nightmares, as described on for letter N.
Kyra Harwell
Kyra Harwell rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Jazmyn
Jazmyn rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Alfajirikali
Apr 14, 2010 Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Possibly too scary for the under three set. (Atom said he liked it.)
Alexis Mitchell
Alexis Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Megan McMinn
Megan McMinn rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Ethan H
Ethan H rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Plumcake
Plumcake rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2010
Little
Little rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2013
Sheryl
Sheryl added it
Jan 08, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Cristina Gonzalez
Cristina Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 120 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a mentor for hire (MentorsForRent.com), a cupcake an
More about Laura Purdie Salas...