Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)

Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Abbess Helewise is struggling to keep the Abbey going through a brutal winter,and inthe midst of this hardship, her son returns after20 years in desperate need of help. Then a man is found strangled,and thenext day her son flees. Helewise and Josse d’Acquin must now investigate the past—to a time before Helewise took the veil. Were her handsome husband and her enigmatic fa...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2005)

LJ
First Sentence: He had to wait until it was dark and everyone was asleep.

Abbess Helewise has been thinking about her life prior to joining the Abbey. She is surprised, yet concerned, when her son Loefgar, shows up with his wife, who looks pale and ill, and their 14-month son, who is unnaturally shy and won’t speak. It is a relief to have her good friend, Josse d’Acquin, who had come to the Abbey ill but is recovered, on hand.

When a man, who claims his brother was killed by Leofger in a dispute,...more
Spuddie
#8 Hawkenlye Abbey mystery set in 1190's Kent, England featuring Abbess Helewise and Sir Josse d'Acquin, knight of King Richard. The whole country of England seems to be poor and hungry as people give and give to attempt to ransom their captured King Richard. Even staunch supporters such as Sir Josse and the Abbess are much less enthusiastic than they once were, especially the Abbess as her giving and giving makes it harder to feed and help those who are hungry and in need.

Abbess Helewise gets...more
Ruth
c2005. Another enjoyable read from Ms Clare. Especially after a run of some either intense or intensively awful books. A beginning, a middle and an end! Phew - at least there are some authors that still do this. This book manages to add yet another dimension to Abbess Helewise and her relationship with Josse. I would not describe this as the most fiendish plot ever - despite the blurb on the back focussing on the flesh eating pigs! "And, with the removal of the dark lens imposed by the long burd...more
Ksenija
A very weak plot stretched out beyond limits. I guessed the culprit around page 80. On the other side, story telling is quite vivid and that is the only reason why I reached the end of the book. I found it hard to get accustomed to the overly artificial language and florid expressions of the simplest things. This however, improves where the story gets more intense. However, if you are curious about the medieval fiction suspense novels, I suggest to start with Elis Peters's adventures of brother...more
Carole Moran
Interesting, but not gripping, at least to me. From the Hawkenlye Mysteries, this book focuses more on Abbess Helewise's life before coming to the nunnery and less on the mystery, which is somewhat predictable. In spite of that, the Hawkenlye series is very readable. This one takes place in England in 1193.
Karen
An absolutely wonderful book in a rather unfortunately inconsistent series. Well written with marvelous characters and a compelling mystery set in both the time of Abbess Helewise's youth and marriage before she comes to Hawkenlye and the current day, blending both seamlessly.
Jeannen
7th or 8th in the series that I discovered summer of 2006. There have been a couple in the series that I couldn’t get into, but this one has a good tight story.
This book was kindly sent by Gundula. Even if I'm not reading this series in any particular order, I'm enjoying quite a lot the stories with Abbess Helewise.
Ma'lis Wendt
The more Hawkenlye mysteries I read, the better I like the series.
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Rasmus
Rasmus marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Sorshaliz
Sorshaliz marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Ondine
Ondine marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Beka
Beka marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alys Clare is the pen name used by Elizabeth Harris for the Hawkenlye series of historical mysteries.

Alys Clare is the pseudonym of a novelist with some 20 published works to her name. Brought up in the countryside close to where the Hawkenlye Novels are set, she went to school in Tonbridge and later studied archaeology at the University of Kent. She lives for part of the year in Brittany, in a re...more
More about Alys Clare...
Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1) Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2) The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3) The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4) Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)