Start by marking “Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)” as Want to Read:
Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)

Changes (The Dresden Files #12)

4.54  ·  Rating Details ·  66,148 Ratings  ·  3,089 Reviews
Vor langer Zeit war Susan Rodriguez Harry Dresdens Geliebte bis seine Feinde sie angriffen. Seither ist sie hin- und hergerissen zwischen ihrer Menschlichkeit und dem Blutdurst des Roten Hofes der Vampire. Dann verschwand Susan nach Südamerika, um gegen ihre dunkle Gabe und die, denen sie sie verdankt, gleichermaßen vorzugehen. Nun hat Arianna Ortega, die Herzogin des ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 438 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Roc (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Changes, please sign up.

Marcus Perhaps the first five-six books and even that wouldn't be advisable if you want to get the most out of the series. Once certain events start gaining…morePerhaps the first five-six books and even that wouldn't be advisable if you want to get the most out of the series. Once certain events start gaining momentum and becoming main story arch, reading Dresden files out of sequence is just foolish.(less)

Dana Stabenow
May 16, 2010 Dana Stabenow rated it it was amazing
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, full disclosure I love the Dresden books. If you have read my reviews of them you know this. This one is no exception and is possibly the best so far.

I can't say much about the book's storyline without spoilers, but there are parts of the story...threads if you will, that have been running through the other volumes more or less underneath other "Main story lines". (These books can really make you rethink the concept of a "fairy godmother" for instance) A lot of these come to culmination h
Kevin Hearne
Jan 26, 2011 Kevin Hearne rated it it was amazing
At first, I wasn't too sure the title was going to work out well. I couldn't think of it without David Bowie stuttering it in my head, and that didn't mix well with Harry Dresden—especially since we see him on the cover turning to face the strange ch-ch-changes. But as I read along, it became clear that this book couldn't possibly be named anything else. Harry has to deal with many changes to his life in this book, and one of the decisions he makes is going to have far-reaching consequences and ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Holy F- balls, this book just made my all-time favorites list.

My heart? Through the ringer. My nerves? Shot. My mind? Blown.

This was me through the entire beautiful, horrible, intense, emotional, perfectly narrated audiobook:

Twists and turns like never before. Get ready for the ride of your life.

And that cliffhanger ending... just gut me now.

Perfection.
Dan Schwent
Mar 05, 2011 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
In the space of a phone call, Harry Dresden learns he has a daughter with Susan Rodriguez and that she's been kidnapped by the Red Court of vampires. The vampires are setting up a bloodline curse that will kill the child and everyone related to her. Meanwhile, the White Council of wizards seems to be buddying up with the Red Court to put an end to the war between the wizards and the vampires. Can Harry save his daughter and stop the bloodline curse?

I have mixed feelings about this one.
Pros: As u
StoryTellerShannon
Harry returns in his 12th novel discovering through his old flame that he has a daughter. Along the way he avoids assassination attempts and hostile supernatural creatures in order to save the child. For those who have enjoyed the most recent two books it's more of the same old same old though I find the style diverting from the original first six or so novels. Harry gets into jam after jam and even though they get bigger and bigger it's gotten to the point where it's getting stale. True, the ...more
Luffy
Jan 13, 2016 Luffy rated it really liked it
Shelves: dresden
I'm feeling quite happy, fresh from reading Changes. Had I read it faster, I would have given it less than 4 stars. So who knows, if I'd read it slower, maybe I'd have rated it a perfect five. But I feel that though I can't ignore the flaws of Dresden's episodic epics, I realize that for a book that provides so much fun, it's okay for part of it to be mindless.
Kevin
Apr 28, 2010 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'll say it again, WOW!! Book 12 of the Dresden Files is the best one yet. I don't even know what I can say without giving it away. READ THIS BOOK!!!!

4/29/30
Okay, time to try to write an actual review. Warning!!!! May contain spoilers.

Harry gets a call from his old girlfriend Susan Rodriguez. "They've taken our little girl." Harry pauses for 5 seconds and then, "Um, what?"

For those who've read about Harry in the past you know this hit him like a nuclear explosion. He's an orphan. He has def
Becky

Yup. That about sums it up. Holy craptoid this book was intense. I know that I said that I found Turn Coat to be predictable, but Changes was anything but. It started off with a Whopper and then added jalapenos and Sriracha and some pickled habaneros and holy shit is this going to be regrettable later. I never knew where this was going to go next, and each time another explosive ingredient was added, my intestines clenched.

And on top of that, this book was surprisingly emotional as well. EVERYTH
Richard
Jun 01, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
7/10

Ch-ch-changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
David Bowie

I merely put this in my review as I couldn't pick this book up without singing this classic song in my head and some of the lyrics are mildly relevant I suppose.

This isn't a review and more ramblings as I can't work out my feelings on this one.

I found this one difficult to rate to be honest, so much happens in this one but I just didn't get totally invested in the story. I think I like the
Emma
Jul 17, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, magic
That was amazing, the best yet. Changes was absolutely the right name for this book. Non stop action from beginning to end. Everything, I mean absolutely EVERYTHING got changed up in this book.
I can't imagine how the next book is going to look
This volume also makes me realise how far Harry Dresden has come as a wizard since we first met him. If I had the time I'd even be tempted to go back and re read the whole series up to now.
This is one of the best urban fantasy series out there.
David Sven
Nov 14, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dresden Fans and Urban fantasy fans
Recommended to David Sven by: Rob
Forget about book cover blurbs including spoilers – this story has the spoiler tied up in it’s one word title - Changes. From the very first sentence we get hit with a jaw dropping revelation that will see Harry propelled into a quest to save the single most important thing in his life. And the lengths he is prepared to go to preserve that which he loves most will see him undergo a metamorphosis that left me in shock. You know how Harry is always fighting the temptation to access powers that wil ...more
Tim The Enchanter
Possibly the Best in the Series- 5 Stars

Wow! What a ride. Once again I am amazed at how Jim Butcher manages to make Harry Dresden more interesting as the series progresses. The name of the book foreshadows the events in the novel and presumably foreshadows changes in future book. This is the most epic of Harry's adventures. Without giving anything away, what Harry manages to do is historic, even by Wizard standards. It will be interesting to see where Butcher takes the series from here. Hone
Jilly
Jul 16, 2015 Jilly rated it it was amazing
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka."

I need vodka for this review! I mean, I wanted some shake-up in this world but What-The-F*ck???? Jim Butcher??? It's like he decided to just burn the whole house down just for the hell of it.

seinfeld george photo: hjDnm2wwQBmJsjWaSmrq_George20Fire_zpsf5418afd.gif
there may be casualties, but I'm willing to let others pay that price...

I mean, sure, it was fun! When isn't it fun to watch things burn? Who doesn't like to throw things from a tall building just to see them sma
Angela
Shandra
Oct 10, 2014 Shandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Initial thoughts (see below for review):

Surprised photo: wow! tumblr_m2wdvcJpye1qmnp5b.gif

WHAT. THE. FUCK!!!!! I couldn't put this down!!! So much happened!!! Wow. Best book in the series so far!!! Review to come.

Review:

Actual rating: A five plus star book!! No story spoilers.

This is going to be a tough one to write. I've been reading this series since 2006. I've obviously slowly picked my way through these books. Sometimes it was because while I was into the series, I wouldn't have the push or desire to pick up the next book. Sometimes it
Rob
Executive Summary: If you've been enjoying yourself to this point in the series, you should really love this book as much as I do. It's definitely the best book of the series so far.

Audio book: James Marsters seems to approach each book like a 1 man show now. He has distinct voices for all the major parts, and even most of the minor ones. It seems like he enjoys reading them as much as I do, and that comes through.

Full Review
I had originally reviewed this book on Living Social's Virtual Booksh
Sumant
Jul 30, 2016 Sumant rated it it was amazing
Change is neither good nor bad, it is what it is. - Don Draper

I really like this line from the Mad Men series, it just summarizes to us that Change is an integral part of our life whether it is good or bad.

But some changes do affect us emotionally,physically and psychologically and same happens with our wizard from Chicago where in his past comes to bite him back literally, and changes all the things which we have come to recognize as Harry Dresden.

I think Butcher has started his end game fro
Beanbag Love
Apr 04, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it it was amazing
Frustrating, disturbing, elegant, overwhelming, heartbreaking, and brilliant.

And that's about it.

Wait. Some things bear repeating. Heartbreaking. Brilliant.

Now that's really it.
Michael *Windrunner*
Well... I see why it is called "Changes"
Deborah Markus
Jun 19, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it really liked it
Public Service Announcement: This book ends on a cliffhanger. Like, a lot. You'll want to have the next book on hand well before you finish, in case the bookstore or library is closed when you turn that last page, forcing you to scream and throw things and maybe lose your security deposit.

Second Public Service Announcement: By "the next book," I mean Ghost Story, not Side Jobs. Ghost Story picks up where Changes leaves off. Side Jobs is a collection of Dresden Files-related short stories and may
Carol.
Enjoyable. Reads like an action film meets PI meets urban fantasy. Still getting beat up, only this time, his bouncing back means making some questionable choices. Still a sucker for the women in his life; thankfully the people around him are able to point out his misconceptions. It's less annoying than in the first books, when it was obvious to everyone, including Dresden, that he was being manipulated, but he was "unable to help it" and would lead him into disasterous situations. This time his ...more
Alex Ristea
Apr 13, 2014 Alex Ristea rated it it was amazing
Everything converges in this book, and I mean everything.

We've always known that Dresden was a powerful wizard, but he usually restricts himself and refuses to go down certain paths. However, with the kidnapping of his daughter, we get to see Harry on a rampage. It is beautiful, in a terrifying sort of way.

Almost all of the characters we've seen in the previous books make an appearance in this one. The plots, secrets, and pacts are perfectly woven together, and this culmination and convergence w
Regina
10/11 Re-read:

If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would. Absolutely fantastic the second time around.

****
OMGGGGGGG???!!!!! Those of you who read it what do you think happened and by who?? So heart breaking .... how Harry was able to save you know who. :( I felt so bad for him and .... her. Review to come!
Valerie
Jul 13, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ian
Shelves: vampires
Harry does it for me. Smart, nerdy, wiseass, with a self destructive desire to do the right thing.
Lightreads
Apr 15, 2010 Lightreads rated it liked it
I have realized that reading this series is a live fire demonstration of that definition of insanity about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

By which I mean that this book is hilariously inept but enragingly compelling, with a gratuitous magical brawl every fifteen pages and towering manpain and the stakes on the battle against ultimate evil, take 12, this time with ultimater!evil cranked up yet higher. So business as usual.

Seriously, I could not put this
Rumana Nasrin
Sep 09, 2016 Rumana Nasrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What should I say about this particular book!! I'm kind of short of words!! Seriously Mr. Butcher!! You'v earned my hatred and unconditional love at a time!! Oh Harry!! Poor soul!! :'(
Gabriel
Dec 01, 2012 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
2012 Re-read
What has changed by rereading all these books in order is the following.

1 - the silly remarks Dresden makes (that I sometimes complained about, at least in comment sections of other people's reviews) has disappeared and lessened.
2 - The reminder paragraphs have also faded into the background.
3 - Overarching themes stand out a little clearer, story lines feel a bit more connected.
4 - This series has tightened up and just gotten better.

I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's aki
David Sarkies
Sep 15, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Dresden fans
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: fantasy
Harry's got a kid
15 September 2015

Okay, this has nothing to do with this book, but I must say that everytime I go on holiday something significant seems to happen. In 2011 I went to Europe and Colonel Gadaffi was ousted as president of Lybia. In 2013 I went to Hong Kong and a new pope was elected. Earlier this year I went to Thailand and suddenly the speaker of the Australian parliament was dumped because she took a tax payer funded helicopter ride to a fundraiser, and now I am in Sydney and su
Nicole
to be or not to be 1 21 Jan 31, 2016 07:36PM
Urban Fantasy ser...: September SRA: CHANGES by Jim Butcher 1 7 Sep 03, 2015 11:46AM
A Million More Pages: 12 - Changes (Dresden Files): Jul 20 53 20 Aug 05, 2015 12:52AM
Goodreads Choice ...: Changes (The Dresden Files #12) - November 2014 9 27 Jan 02, 2015 01:26PM
Dresden Files: very late Changes reread/discussion 2014 19 32 Oct 25, 2014 07:42AM
Progressively more depressing 38 390 Aug 05, 2014 06:35PM
Dresden Files: Swords and Kings 42 157 Jul 31, 2014 04:57PM
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

“Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” 774 likes
“The man once wrote: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Tolkien had that one mostly right.

I stepped forward, let the door bang closed, and snarled, "Fuck subtle.”
284 likes