Start by marking “What's Left of Us” as Want to Read:
What's Left of Us

What's Left of Us

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In this harrowing, astounding memoir, Richard Farrell chronicles a life of desperation, violence, lies and the pure oblivion of heroin. A gritty, hauntingly written tale of a descent into hell and a slow, uncertain climb out of it, What's Left Of Us is a true story of redemption: of how low a man can get, and how hard he must fight to escape a shattered life...
Published July 1st 2009 by Citadel

To ask other readers questions about What's Left of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Left of Us

Trainspotting by Irvine WelshRequiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.Junky by William S. BurroughsScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisTweak by Nic Sheff
Addicts
131st out of 163 books — 352 voters
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsCottonmouth Kisses by Clint CatalystFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonProzac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
Drug Memoir A List
139th out of 145 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian Bradbury
Truly inspirational.

There are only a handful of books that I have ever read that I thought were so encapsulating that I didn't want to put it down until I was done; This is now one of them. The amazing descriptive wording paints a perfect portrait without being left to make assumptions or try to fill in the blanks. I love this. Not enough writers truly embrace this technique. The flow is also remarkable considering that the author moves so quickly from the past to present day and back and forth
Joan
Read to non fiction books this week Both of them were really really great. This book is about a guy with everything who unfortunately becomes a drug addict. It is just really compelling. I say this is a must read or listen to.
Lori Wilson
Wow, I really loved this memoir! This guy starts out as a heroin addict about to call it quits. He goes to rehab and we find out the horrors of his life with his father!! Excellent!
sinta nisfuanna
Pe eR dari Gagasmedia
---

Kenangan dapat menjadi sesuatu yang indah, tapi tak pelak juga dapat menyuguhkan trauma yang berujung keterpurukan. Kisah tentang kenangan yang ingin dilupakan, kalimat di sampul depan buku What’s Left of Us ini mengingatkan saya dengan film eternal sunshine, yang bercerita tentang sepasang kekasih yang memotong sekaligus menghapus kenangan satu sama lain. Namun, ternyata di tengah proses penghapusan si laki-laki malah ingin mengembalikan seluruh akan kekasihnya.

Satu pel
Anne Ruthmann
A real life story about drug addiction and recovery in the 1980s Lowell, MA.
In some ways this seems like a real life response to the Million Little Pieces story which blew up on Oprah. However, since I haven't read that book, I can only speculate, but the author does allude to the notion. It's a fast read- I finished on a weekend day and I consider myself to be a slow reader. I read it to gain insights on the New Englander's perception of Lowell- where I live- and what it was that created such
Erika Cormier
Excellent portrait chronicling a difficult on and off struggle through active addiction and sobriety. Living in an area I'm familiar with, Lowell, MA, and being surrounded by temptation everywhere I can understand why it was so difficult to do what he wanted to do in order to gain his family back, but also why he just couldn't get there. The "pact" with the other couple people was hard to read, but eye-opening and I have felt the same way as an addict. That is a sitation nobody realizes we go th ...more
Ian Nadeau
Brutally honest memoir of addiction, but one that reads like a page-turner (which is impressive considering the difficult subject matter). Originally, I picked up the book b/c my family comes from Lowell (the book's setting) and, with The Fighter movie on the horizon, I was interested in the "High on Crack Street" producer (for the Dickie Eklund connection).

Farrell admits that he decided to write this memoir as a response to the James Frey "A Million Little Pieces" scandal - not so much because
Kristine Mckenna
I think the title really says it all. Although I have never walked in Richard's shoes, I do know hardship. I think after all you have lived through, gritted through, and ultimately survived, what is left? That is What You Are Now and I like to see how others handle really difficult situations. This man was a long time heroin addict, homeless, and tried to kill himself. He had a child, too. I don't judge him or his choices, but am so glad he came out at the other side. It's not as hard as one mig ...more
Leahjoypro
I got this book for free from a bookstore "uncorrected proof" sale and didn't expect much from it, but then found that I couldn't put it down. It was definitely a good story, but although the author kept saying how much he despised liars, and said that the book was 100% true at the end, I had to question some of his stories. I didn't really question the abuse stories, but seriously, every woman he met just LOVED performing oral sex?! That I found a little hard to believe. That being said, still ...more
Betsy Brainerd
This is really an incredible story of how one sexually, physically, and mentally abused boy grew up to be a heroin addict. The book centers on what seems to be his last chance in a rehab clinic (he actually got a decent psychiatrist). You don't know for sure at the end, but apparently, Richard Farrell got over it because he is currently an English prof. at UMass, a screenwriter, and a documentary filmmaker. I never would have guessed he could get beyond the drugs. Don't read it if you are offend ...more
Mahir
I always adore the writing of wrecked people who revived their lives. Their dark pasts always contribute to the depth of their personal journey. Richie Farrell is one of these people. With a witty plot, miraculous storytelling and sufficient dark humor, he turned his burned down messed-up life into a great lesson to everyone who are in struggle fighting alcohol or drugs addiction. An underrated but brilliant piece of work!
Suzy
Highly disturbing in a can't-put-it-down kind of way. Richard Farrell describes his heroin addiction and detox treatment in Lowell, MA with frequent flashbacks to disturbing events in his childhood / young adult life. Would highly recommend this to anyone who has read and liked "A Million Little Pieces", as this appears to be more of "the real deal".
Scotchneat
Richard Farrell got pissed at Frey's "Million Little Pieces" and decided to write his own memoir about drug addiction.

Farrell is a writer by trade, so this is a good read and an honest one. How when you come off the junk your sphincter is an important factor. How you can be simultaneously worry about new boots and plan suicide.

A good read.
Julie Leonard
I really liked this book. I'm always drawn into stories of addiction and those who go through the agonizing journey of breaking the habit. Really good book and I agree with another's review of the novel that it does a good job of not making drug addicts glamorous or cool.
Dena Beck
This was a good memoir about his climb into and out of heroin addiction. If you enjoyed Frey's MILLION LITTLE PIECES, then you'd probably enjoy this one. This is supposed to be more accurate, but they are similar in story and tone. It kept me interested until the end.
Jaden Brulotte
This is a good memoir of a recovering addict; however, I found myself setting it down about halfway through, only to pick it up when I was finished with a more interesting book. It kind of drags through the middle of the story...
Jaimi
When this book was in production, Richard Farrell was one of my instructors in college. He's a genuine open and honest guy, just like he presents in his book. So happy he's had so much success! He really deserves it!
Dion Yulianto
Isinya ttg memoar seorang mantan pecandu, walu ceritanya sangat tebal dan begitu buram, paling tidak--sebagimana kata pelakunya--buku ini adalah memoar yang jujur dari masa lalu yang gelap
Kim
I liked this memoir of a recovering herion addict. The story is shocking but the author writes with such humble realism. He helps you walk in his shoes as you read the book.
Cynthia Anderson
Another telling look into heroin addiction. No, I have never even done heroin, but have a fascination with reading about addiction. This held my interest. I would recommend it.
Cindy Pricilla
ga suka. so, ga selesai bacanya. cuma bertahan sampai bab 2. bacanya yg terjemahannya dari gagas media.
Bree
Picked this up at random and honestly couldn't put it down. Really compelling and sadly beautiful.
Hilary
graphic, sometimes disturbing memories, but told in an intelligent and reflective voice
Shannon Searles
Aug 06, 2010 Shannon Searles is currently reading it
got this book from my sister and have just started it but it is addicting!!!
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
Enjoyed this story....i felt many diffrent emotions as i read this.
Rebecca
Couldn't put it down until it was done, quick read and very good
Rob Johnson
Wow, this was graphic. And the writing wasn't all that great.
Priscilla Huwae
  • Never Enough: The Story of the Cure
  • The Sound of No Hands Clapping
  • Gonville: A Memoir
  • Dari Datuk ke Sakura Emas
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • Confessions of an Art Addict
  • Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer
  • Elliott Smith
  • I Shudder and Other Reactions to Life, Death, and New Jersey
  • Live Through This: A Mother's Memoir of Runaway Daughters and Reclaimed Love
  • Why Is My Mother Getting a Tattoo?: And Other Questions I Wish I Never Had to Ask
  • Sex, Drugs, and Being an Escort
  • For You Mom, Finally
  • All Good Things Die in L.A.
  • Twinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies: 20 Yummy Treats to Wear
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
A Criminal and an Irishman: The Inside Story of the Boston Mob-IRA Connection The Truth About Addiction: Why do kids do drugs? What's Left of Us: A Memoir of Addiction A Criminal and An Irishman: The Inside Story of the Boston Mob - IRA Connection The Art of Software Support