Start by marking “A Man Called Outlaw” as Want to Read:
A Man Called Outlaw

A Man Called Outlaw

All his life, Shane Lassiter had revered the man who stood in place of the father he had never known. Nathaniel Wilcock had taken Shane into his own home, loved him as a son, and placed within his grasp one of the largest ranches in the Wyoming Territory.

But Shane had heard the stories. He knew the whispers about the fugitive gunman who stood against Wilcock during the lan
Published October 1st 2007 by Penforasword Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Man Called Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man Called Outlaw

Elisabeth
Apr 12, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
A Man Called Outlaw is something refreshing: a recent book that readers of classic-style Westerns will enjoy. There's plenty of action, but there's also substance. It reminded me somewhat of a Louis L'Amour novel, but with deeper internal conflict, higher mental and spiritual stakes for the characters.

The novel shifts back and forth between two storylines, set thirty years apart. In the 1880s story, Shane Lassiter finds himself in a crisis of conscience over whether to remain loyal to Nathaniel
Brenna H.
Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this story. But "mixed" pretty much describes it: bitter mixed with sweet.

The layout of the novel was...shall I say irksome at times, because it kept going back and forth between two times, two stories. It seemed like every time I was getting into the problems of one set of characters, I'd be forced back to the others...and then I'd get into those characters and then be ripped back to the others again. (And so on and so forth.) Some characters overlapped both ti
David Kubicek
Jul 30, 2010 David Kubicek rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like westerns.
I won't say too much about the plot of A Man Called Outlaw. To do so might give away too much information, and I hate giving spoilers.

This novel tells two stories, thirty years apart, and switches back and forth between them--a few chapters in 1887, then a few chapters in 1858-9, then back to 1887 again. In the end the story-lines merge, and loose ends are tied up.

I hope that's not giving away too much. But it's obvious from the beginning that there are two stories going on. I even guessed the
Margaret Metz
Dec 17, 2010 Margaret Metz rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I waited a long time to get it and was really happy to finally get a chance to read it.

At first I was a little disoriented by the back & forth in time bit, but that quickly went away. I couldn't seem to read fast enough to figure out what was going to happen. I wanted to reach in and shake Shane a couple times. If that isn't a sure sign of good writing, I don't know what is. ;o)

I wished the book had gone on for another couple chapters. This is one I can see myself re-readi
Clare Farrelly
Nov 25, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-book copy of this in exchange for my honest thoughts, and all views below are my own true feelings about this book.

K.M. Weiland is just about the best crafter of characters ever, the only problem with that is that she then puts them through everything possible and hurts them all so badly and not only in physical ways, oh no I mean serious emotional struggles. All the writing just connects you to the characters and draws you body and soul into the story.

The only thing I did n
Naomi Musch
Apr 16, 2011 Naomi Musch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans / western lovers
A Man Called Outlaw is the story of Shane Lassiter, a cowboy who's grown up in the home of Judge Nathaniel Wilcox as the son Wilcox never had. Shane's love and admirationof the judge stands him to inherit the largest ranch in Wyoming Territory. But his whole life Shane has heard stories about the gunman who'd stood against Wilcox during the land wars. To the folks of Hangtree, that vigilante was a hero, but to Wilcox, he was nothing but a murderer who'd died an outlaw's death.

Then Shane finds
Kym McNabney
How do we come to read a book? A suggestion from a friend? Happen to come across it on the internet? Spotted it on the shelf at the store? However one comes to purchasing a book and reading it is not as important as the outcome. Just the same, here is how I came to read A MAN CALLED OUTLAW by KM WEILAND.

I happened upon A MAN CALLED OUTLAW due to reading a non-fiction by KM WEILAND. My thinking was if she is able to give great advice on writing a novel, it is worth seeing if she can produce the
Rich Weatherly
Dec 03, 2011 Rich Weatherly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A Man Called Outlaw features struggling settlers in the Wyoming Territory as they attempt to counter aggression by a narcissistic robber baron. Be sure to read the book description for a good synopsis and I see no need to repeat it.

The plot line alternates between the late 1850s and the late 1880s. By reading from the earlier period the reader gains insight into a mystery. The early period also contributes to the reader's understanding of the plot and character development.

In many ways, the mai
Randy Tramp
Feb 18, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it it was amazing
The Story
Major and Judge Nathaniel Wilcock would do anything to get what he wanted and the man desired the entire river valley. In the Old West where the law was determined by the strongest, Judge Wilcock was the most powerful and the most feared. Only a few would go up against him. This is the story about those few that against great odds, challenged the authority of injustice. The book goes back and forth between two dates: 1858 and 1887.
My Thoughts
The lawlessness of the Old West blazed a tra
Glynis Smy
Aug 15, 2011 Glynis Smy rated it really liked it
A Man called outlaw by K M Weiland is not normally a genre I read. Historical westerns are new to me and the author's sample and book cover caught my attention.

Set in the 1800's the story has a classic feel. There are two stories in one set thirty years apart. Strong male characters battle the elements of the cattle ranch life and personal conflicts between them add a touch of tension.

Shane Lassiter was raised as a son by Nathaniel Wilcock. A man he had grown to admire. Slowly a story of land wa
Luke Taylor
Jan 25, 2016 Luke Taylor rated it it was amazing
Time comes in a man's life when he needs the spine-stiffening breeze of the American West and its broad valleys of cattle to color his imagination with the simple intricacies of men with dark and dirtied pasts and men bound to stand in honor where none can be found. Time comes when reading one storyline just ain't good enough, and the perfect weaving of two parallel storylines can only satisfy the masterful pacing of an instant classic. Time, then, sadly comes, when then gun-smoke clears and ...more
Molly Evangeline
Mar 27, 2011 Molly Evangeline rated it it was amazing
I finally had a chance to sit down last week and read K. M. Weiland's first book, A Man Called Outlaw. I love a good western. The 1850s-1880s are one of my favorite time periods in history, so I was very excited about the book. I read it in about three days, and didn't want to put it down. I'll say right off that it is one of the very few books that have ever made me cry. It was painfully true to life. I think that is what made it so good. A lot of it wasn't as I anticipated, but the characters ...more
Lynnda Ell
Aug 25, 2010 Lynnda Ell rated it it was amazing
Judge Nathaniel Wilcock was a man with a patient, long view towards getting what he wanted. What he wanted was to own the whole river valley. His greed, cunning, and position allowed him to run the small town and intimidate the people in it.

A story set in the Old West, this man threatened, brutalized or murdered during a span of more than 30 years to own everything, including a boy who considered him as his father but who wasn't.

K.M. Weiland did a stunning job of writing the beginning of the ba
Kay
Dec 17, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
A Man Called Outlaw was an enjoyable summer read. I came across it as I regularly listen to K.M. Weiland's podcast and was interested to read some of her work. I picked up this book because I enjoy westerns.

This story took a little getting used to at the beginning since it deals with two stories being told in parallel, one set about 30 years before the other that sheds light on what the future characters are dealing with. It has all the making of an entertaining western, a corrupt landowner, ou
Janet Sketchley
May 01, 2016 Janet Sketchley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is a well-written western that traces two storylines, 30 years apart, in the same small town dominated by a greedy rancher. In each storyline a key character struggles with integrity, loyalty, and discerning the right thing to do. The characters and setting felt real, so much so that I read in stages, since I could only take so much of the villain. I'm a happy ending person, and I don't know if this one ended happily or not, because it needed another chapter or an epilogue to show us what ...more
Chera DeHoff
Oct 07, 2016 Chera DeHoff rated it it was amazing
There is no doubt that KM Weiland is an amazing author. I am usually not a big historical fiction fan, (but I love a good western) but Weiland took me back to a time and place only recognized through history and tales, and she did so, effortlessly. Amazing characterizations and a plot that thickens and remedies with great emotion. The only flaw I have is with myself. I wish I could have been more disciplined when reading this book. I was taken away from it on several occasions, but was able to ...more
Patricia
Aug 19, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
A book that holds tension well from the beginning and constantly generates intrigue in the reader, who seeks answers to the questions that the story presents him.

The characters are interesting and well-drawn.

The end was satisfactory to me, suitable for the kind of story and the events that took place there.
April Gardner
Nov 28, 2011 April Gardner rated it it was amazing
As soon as I finished K.M. Weilands Behold the Dawn (now my #1 favorite novel)I downloaded A Man Called Outlaw on my Kindle. It took me a bit longer to get into, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. Not quite as good as Behold the Dawn, it still ranks up there in my top 20 favorite reads of all time. Can't wait for the author's next novel to release!
Lydia
Mar 22, 2016 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Dang! The suspense in this book was fantastic, although I feel like maybe a little of the surprise was lost at the end because we all knew who Shane's dad was well before he did. Still, the story wouldn't have worked if it had been set up differently, and I really liked it the way it was. :)
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Daniel Beals
Daniel Beals rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Vikki
Vikki rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Douglas Thompson
Douglas Thompson rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2014
Morné Fouché
Morné Fouché rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Redgriffin
Redgriffin rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Lena Vinson
Lena Vinson rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Jodi
Jodi rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2012
J.S.
J.S. rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Fly Away Home
  • Friendship and Folly (Merriweather Chronicles, #1)
  • Stars in the Night
  • Until That Distant Day
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • The Destiny of One (Destiny Trilogy, #1)
  • Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League
  • A Bride Goes West
  • That's How We Roll: A Hilariously True Tale of Life on the Open Road
  • Red Rain (Unacccepted, #1)
  • For Love or Country (The MacGregor Legacy, #2)
  • Newlyweds of Convenience
  • God's Will
  • Having Decided To Stay
  • Uncompromising: A Heart Claimed By a Radical Love
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1909-1922
  • Mam'zelle Guillotine
  • The Exiles (The Creole #1)
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso. She is the IPPY and NIEA Award-winning and internationally published author of the Amazon bestsellers Outlining Your Novel and Structuring Your Novel, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic, the western A Man Called Outlaw, the medieval epic Behold ...more
More about K.M. Weiland...