Start by marking “The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  42 reviews
"Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing." --Jimmy Wales

With more than 2,000,000 individual articles on everything from Aa! (a Japanese pop group) to Zzyzx, California, written by an army of volunteer contributors, Wikipedia is the #8 site on the World Wide Web. Created (and
Published (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wikipedia Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wikipedia Revolution

Marty Acks
This was a could-not-put-down book for me that I read in 2-3 days (very fast for me). I was fascinated by the saga of how Wikipedia came about and how they assembled a virtual an army of volunteers to create a user-built encyclopedia of over 4 million articles. While the book is written by an insider it was not a puff piece. It covered some of the interesting challenges they faced with personal, creative, legal, ethical, and commercialization battles along the way. The book is largely chronologi ...more
Paige
Andrew Lih writes for the non-techie, giving a clear overview of how Wikipedia works and how it got started. If you want to focus on the mechanics of Wikipedia - how edit wars are resolved and how vandalism is deterred - you could start reading about halfway through the book. However, I found the early chapters intriguing since they explore the origins of collaborative online culture including Usenets and HyperCard of the early 1980’s and even the “online culture” of amateur radio in the 1960s. ...more
Krishna Kumar
Perhaps, this was one book that should never have come out in dead-tree format, because you might as well create the chapters in Wikipedia or another website. On the other hand, people still do like to read books and as long as the market exists, why not? And books sometimes can provide you a linear, chronological narration of events and present a better summary than information online.

Andrew Lih narrates the history of Wikipedia. He also explains how the various decisions relating to the admini
lisa
I borrowed this book from the library because the title caught my eye, and I've always been interested in Wikipedia. I thought it was a good overview of how Wikipedia came to be, the decisions that the people involved made, and how those decisions still affect it today. I think Lih was unbiased in his telling, seeming to follow the Wikipedia model.
Joseph Young
Sep 07, 2010 Joseph Young rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wikipedia editors
Interesting at first, but mostly self-indulgent. Wish they had chosen an audio speaker actually familiar with some technical terms. Each of the times he used the pronunciation Sigh-sop for SysOp I cringed a little. The spelling out of ASCII was equally absurd.

Rotua Damanik
Anton
Terjemahan judul buku ini kurang tepat, Kisah Sukses Wikipedia. Padahal, judul aslinya Wikipedia Revolution. Keduanya beda jauh. Kalau dalam bahasa Indonesia terkesan buku ini berisi tulisan tentang bisnis. Padahal, isinya lebih banyak tentang bagaimana perjalanan Wikipedia bisa menjadi salah satu ensiklopedia terpenting di dunia saat ini.

Buku setebal 287 halaman ini menceritakan Wikipedia mulai dari sejarah, partisipasi warga, internasionalisasi Wikipedia, hingga kontroversi Wikipedia sebagai e
Robin Hartanto

Ditulis oleh seorang Wikipedian yang juga cendekiawan di bidang media dan jurnalisme baru, Kisah Sukses Wikipedia membentangkan berbagai cerita dalam membangun Wikipedia, ensiklopedia gratis dan terpopuler di dunia.

Uniknya, kisah ini bukan hanya milik Jimmy Wales, sang pendiri Wikipedia. Berangkat dari gagasan Ward Cunningham yang mendirikan Wikiwikiweb, website yang memungkinkan pengunjungnya untuk menyunting halaman-halaman di dalamnya, Jimmy Wales membangun Wikipedia bersama ribuan orang di d
Joe
Andrew Lih's book provides a history of Wikipedia for the years leading up to the book's publication date in 2009. Most of the book discusses issues with the partitioning that naturally occurs in a rapidly growing company, and reasons why prominent Wikipedians such as Larry Sanger left the organization. Lih occasionally brings up a small anecdote, such as the Spanish Fork (when cofounder Sanger mentioned the possibility of adding advertisements, and most of the volunteers left the Wikipedia proj ...more
Jean-claude
Anyone with an interest in the Open Anything movement will find this history of Wikipedia useful and interesting. It will encourage people with ideas and passion to get out there and experiment. Although a truly successful project demonstrating the power of crowdsourcing, it highlights the constant struggle by the founders and participant at all levels - ranging from the technical to legal, social and ethical realms. The importance of timing and luck is also made clear. In another ten years proj ...more
Adam Wiggins
A well-rounded look at the early history and culture of Wikipedia.

The writing is amateurish, but that seems almost appropriate for the subject matter. And I liked that it was written by an insider whose passion for the community shines through.
Zekai Huang
A really nice book about wiki history.
Claudette
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I'm no programmer. I loved all the wiki-words I learned and I was continually amazed by the clever and gigantic ideas that have brough Wikipedia to where it is today. In this age of fast-paced innovation I realized this "history" of Wikipedia is indeed just that because of what its founders and volunteers have accomplished in only a decade. Also it's worth mentioning that about three years before Wikipedia's launch there weren't even SEARCH ENGINES yet. Can yo ...more
Widijanto Judono
menarik dibaca pada bab-bab awal..termasuk sedikit tulisan mengenai si manusia eksentrik pengagas gerakan Free and Open Source Software, Richard Stallman (RMS). Lewat buku ini juga pembaca akan tahu keterkaitan antara gerakan Free and Open Source Software dengan Wikipedia itu spt apa. Jika selama ini orang akan mengeryitkan dahi jika mendengar GNU, Linux, Opensource, maka tidak jika ditanya tentang Wikipedia. Padahal filosofi yang dianut Wikipedia adalah filosofi Free and Open Source Software
Mitzi Moore
While fascinating, the story of Wikipedia is not going to be the next blockbuster movie (see: The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, 2010). Somehow the epic revert battle over Gdansk/Danzig isn't quite the same as casual college acquaintances suing each other for billions. Still, this book is one that I will remember. I'm sure I will bring up these stories and thrill/annoy my friends for years to come.
Brian Weaver
A really fascinating read that I would recommend to anyone who's interested in Wikipedia. I read this book primarily for professional purposes. However, it was easy to read and provided a lot of useful information about the history of, controversy over, and the technology at work in Wikipedia. Actually, if you use Wikipedia at all, I would recommend reading this book.
JC
Really interesting look into how Wikipedia came to be and some of the major obstacles that stood in its way. Also really interesting were some of the technical details about how the wiki backend was modified to handle new features. It's pretty crazy how much traffic the site really does get. I'd highly recommend this to anyone that uses Wikipedia.
Tom
sounded like a fascinating study--well maybe not fascinating but interesting. it turns out be a detailed history of the development of the wiki idea as well as wikipedia itself.
i'm about a third of the way through the book--since i'm reading it on my kindle it's hard to know the page number.
i also got a copy for the school library here.
Julie
Jul 28, 2010 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peggy
Shelves: non-fic
An interesting historical perspective of the personalities and principles behind Wikipedia. Lih makes a clear argument for why Wikipedia is NOT the World's Greatest Encyclopedia however hard it might be trying. Fascinating information on foreign language Wikis.
Bob Lake
This is an interesting review of the history of wikipedia, but one that is padded with a lot of tables, transcripts, etc.

Told by a semi-insider, it chronicles the leaps and missteps involved in making wikipedia the phenomenon it is today.

Scott
Finished this this weekend and found it quite fascinating. We all, by now, take Wikipedia for granted but it took loads of work and volunters to make it so... and to get it to have the credibility it now has. This book explores all of that.
Bill
Possibly a 2 star "It was ok" rating is a bit positive. I was slightly more than 1/2 through when I found myself thinking that I would rather be reading a Wikipedia page on foot fungus, it was at that point I decided I was done with this book.
Phil
If you're a web developer (Marissa!!!) you'll proabably love it. For the avearge person curious about how Wikipedia works, it's too much information, especially about it's early competitors.

Seems well researched. Writing's a bit dry.
Peter McCracken
OK. Not bad.

I did like the comparison of Sanger's mgmt of the early wikipedia/nupedia with Wales'. There's definitely a lesson in there for those trying to herd the 2.0 cats, and keep them interested and contributing.
Deborah
It was interesting. I liked the beginning the most, as I got closer to the end I knew more of the information and more of it was out of date.

The text ends at the top of page 229, the rest is notes and an index.
Behzad
Except some pronunciation mistakes in the audio book, probably because narrator was not familiar with some of computer science terms, this book is a good overview of one of the most ambitious internet projects
Ken
I "read" the audiobook edition. Interesting, though it goes too deeply into specific examples in detail of entries and arguments. It was unabridged, but I would have enjoyed an abridged version more.
gramakri
An interesting and fascinating story of world's greatest encyclopedia !
Recommended for all internet users.
Read my review at http://bookwormsrecos.blogspot.in/201...
Paddy
A reasonably good summary of Wikipedia's evolution, but doesn't offer much novel analysis. I could be biased due to being familiar with a lot of this material beforehand.
John
Quick informative read on the history of wikis and wikipedia that also touches on many web content developments in the last decade in an approachable way.
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Who Controls the Internet?: Illusions of a Borderless World
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It
  • Click: What Millions of People Do Online and Why It Matters
  • Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Future of the Internet and How to Stop It
  • Amazon.com: Get Big Fast
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education