Start by marking “It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)” as Want to Read:
It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)

It's Not Summer Without You (Summer #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  52,048 ratings  ·  2,305 reviews
Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?

It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.

But when Jeremiah calls sayin...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Summer Without You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Summer Without You

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
34th out of 1,373 books — 8,145 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
39th out of 832 books — 6,197 voters

More lists with this book...

Nic
For helpful visuals of Conrad and Jeremiah: http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

Favourite Quote: "I stared at him. Did he really say that? Did he remember? The way he looked back at me, one eyebrow raised, I knew he did. And this time, I was the one to look away.
Because I remembered. I remembered everything."

Don't you love it when the second book in a series is way better than the first? That is the case with It's Not Summer Without You. I enjoyed The Summer I Turned Pretty but sometimes f...more
kari
Apr 21, 2011 kari rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, ya
Jessie
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I'm really surprised I actually liked this, Belly's still immature, but she didn't bother me as much. Plus, something actually happened in this book, I'm addicted here. (view spoiler) It's also nice to see more of Jeremiah, since he was this really bland character in The Summer I Turned Pretty.

CONRAD <3

On to We'll Always Have Summer! Woohoo!
Regan
Man.... So many ups and downs. I feel so attached to everyone, and I feel like they are real people dealing with real struggles. It's a nice change.
Hershey  (Wants to be Magneto)
A splendid summer read

Cousins Beach was Belly's home. It was the only place she ever thought of. Every summer she visits the Cousins Beach but this time things have changed. Susannah, her mother's best friend had passed away and summer at Cousins Beach was no more. Why? Because Susannah was the only person who linked all of them together. Without her, it wouldn't be a perfect summer.

Belly has grown in this book. She's no more pouting and throwing tantrums. I liked Belly much better in this b...more
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
May 11, 2011 Aly (Fantasy4eva) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who haven't fallen in love with a book for a long time.
It would seem Cousins Beach, where Belly, Conrad, Jeremiah, Susannah and Belly's mother spent every summer to date isn’t done with them quite yet.

Belly is grieving two losses, one being her mothers best friend Susannah who was a mother figure to her, and Conrad who never really called back or initiated any interest after she left. Worse still, her mother seems to be in a world of her own, a world that Belly isn’t a part of. With her best friend forcing her to move on, and her mother ignoring her...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Aug 04, 2011 Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody!
Recommended to Tanja (Tanychy) by: Zemira Warner
I know i'm boring with this "You have to read this book" .. but you really have to! :)
Kasia S.
This is book two in the Summer series so if you haven't read the first "The Summer I turned Pretty" then stop and turn around, go back and do yourself a favor and read the book that has started it all. Okay, now I feel like I can continue...I was deeply impressed how the whole plot grew beyond the original story line, it was impossible to put down and I read it in one afternoon. The second ultimate beach read, one with a bit of autumn and serious coolness to it, chilled my soul with luxuriously...more
Courtney
Tiffany
This summer book is nostalgic. It speaks to your heart of hearts. But it's tough in that "life goes on" kind of way. Summer doesn't last forever. Moments fade into memories. Jenny Han communicates that in a really heartbreaking sort of way.

The second book in the Summer trilogy has a lot of back-and-forthing. Belly flips from pining over Conrad to hating him in the flip of a heartbeat. Jenny Han also writes some of the book in Jeremy's POV, which is pretty much my favorite part. He's sweet and tr...more
Jenny
This series is killing it. Nothing light or fluffy, just heavy duty emotional confusion!
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I loved the first book in this series, The Summer I Turned Pretty. It was awesome. But It's Not Summer Without You is better.
The summers that Belly has looked forward to for the whole of her life will never be the same again. This summer, Belly is facing a boring summer at her own home with Taylor. So when she gets the phone call saying that Conrad has disappeared, she jumps at the chance to find him and see the Fisher boys again. But she has a choice to make. Conrad, or no Conrad?
I love Jenny H...more
I Eat Words
Oh god. I loved this book. I was dying to find out what happened at the end of the first one. I was anxious to see how Jenny Han would tell the next story, and I wasn't disappointed! For those of you who've read the first book, you're probably already familiar with Han's writing style. I love how she skips from the present story, and then she goes back to the past. The creative part is the way she ties every event together. In the first book, it was more about showing two families relationship,...more
Rita Silva
Camilla
I started this book one afternoon, and finished that very night. There was so much heartache and emotion that made this book very captivating and quite addicting. I couldn't get over at how much more real the characters seemed after reading this. It seems like Jenny Han slowly takes layers off the characters that reveal more and more about their thoughts, emotions and feelings with each book. I thought I loved this series after I read the first book, but now I know that I really, really love thi...more
Carla
To put it simply......I have a girl crush on Jenny Han. I really do. And yet I still can't describe the reasons why I love this series so very much. Jenny totally avoids the second books slump and delivers another painfully accurate portrayl of how it feels to be a teenager in a head vs heart dilemma, with the twist of the two boys being brothers. GASP! I love brother love drama!

I don't know how you can't read these books and NOT become so incredibly invested in what happens to these characters....more
Jamie-leigh Haughn
A great second book to this wonderful summertime trilogy!

I've got to say, Jenny Han does contemporary right! These books are so easy to get lost into and you just can't put them down! I love watching the different relationships between characters develop and change. I love how these books incorporate both fun and pain, happiness and sadness, love and loss. This book had a bit more sadness in it than the first instalment, I really felt for all of the characters in their time of loss. I just feel...more
Raeleen Lemay

I wasn't a huge fan of this one... Belly was WAY more annoying and childish, and it was a chore to read about her. However, the ending was good and I feel like the last book will be better because she seems like she's finally done lusting after Conrad, which was part of what made her so annoying.
Kristy
After reading this I STILL:
dislike the name Belly
think Conrad is an ass
and
pull for Jeremiah!

This book feels a lot deeper than it's predecessor. I liked it, but it annoy's the crap out of me at the same time. I missed Susanna! Belly's Mother drove me insane... it's like the parents in these books are so clueless, but then when the author needs a hero they pull her brain out of no-man's land.
Conrad was frustrating to me; Can he please make up his mind already. Quit stringing Belly along. Seriously...more
Amanda
WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!!!!!! How could this book end that way!!! Jenny Han..you cruel cruel person!! Sweet cheese and rice I need book 3 NOW!!!!!!!! Seriously...this was the mother of all cliffhangers!!!! OMG!!!!!!

Ok now that i've gotten that out...I'll get to my review. Right after my heartbeat slows down a bit. If it ever slows down! OMG talk about an emotional rollercoaster!! This book had be balling tears...my heart like literally shattered at least three times! I was on his side, I was on her sid...more
Hannah
God this series has gotten under my skin quickly. It's a little immature, mostly because of how Belly acts (she is 16, so I'll forgive her. I actually like her... And want to have serious words with her at the same time!)

Holy drama at the end there, and that 'a few years later' bit... Wtf! I cried in this book, an just lost my shit in other places, it really hit me in the feels at so many points.... I don't know how to put what I'm feeling into words but I can't wait to start the next one.
Nina
Što reći? Oduševila me, također se nalazi na polici favorita! Istog trena prelazim na sljedeću jer kraj kakav nam je Jenny dala.. moram priznati da mi je drago da nisam morala dugo čekati da pređem na treću knjigu!
Uzeći sve u obzir i prvu i drugu i dio treće knjige koji sam pročitala (kojih pedeset stranica), stvarno bih voljela da na kraju Belly bude s Conradom! Držim fige da mi se želja ostvari!!
Danielle Choffrey
It is a known fact that I did not care for the first book. I wasn't able to connect with Belly. The way she would string along all the guys in her life irritated me beyond belief. Not only that but she came across as self centered and childish. I don't think she changed much from the first book.

This book finds Belly and Jeremiah in search for Conrad. Their search leads them to Cousins Beach. When they find Conrad everyone has decisions to make that will forever change them.

While writing that s...more
Gabby
BOOK REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED @ The YA Bookworm

I am not a very huge fan of the first book,i only gave it a 3 star rating I like the book and everything but i just LIKED it nothing more nothing less. the second book of the series i would have to say that it leveled up on the previous one, the second book is so much better than the first one.

Why did I say so?

the second book of the series is about Belly, not having to spend her summer with the Fishers cause Sussanah just died and the fishers are i...more
Daisy Chain Books
I cracked open It’s Not Summer Without You expecting more tales of Belly’s long, lazy summer days and romantic nights at Cousins Beach with her two favourite boys, Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher. This book though, is quite a departure from The Summer I Turned Pretty. A whole lot of things have changed in Belly’s world, and as for the boys, their lives will never be the same again. All three have had a lot of growing up to do in the year since we last met them. Their lives have been touched by loss,...more
Beatrice
Maria
actually I haven't much to say! this book was definitely as good as the first one maybe even better! it was very sad and funny at the same time and I really couldn't put it down!
I don't know about you but I can't decide which boy is better! bc after book 2 you really get to know Jeremiah and I started to appreciate his good character ( i have to say that conrad was difficult to understand at times ) I would like to see belly in the next book more independent and stronger! she shouldn't be runni...more
~Tina~
3.5 Stars

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
In it's own way it's better then the first, but then I also feel like I wish I didn't read this one since I really liked the first one.
I don't like how it's still all up in the air between the brothers and Belly and I wish Conrad would just say what he means already, and Belly shouldn't be doing stuff if she doesn't mean it. Hearts will be broken, if they aren't already.
All of these characters are confused and torn up one way or another, I like th...more
Bunny ☠
*2.7 stars*

Please, please, please I hope the last book is a good one. If not I will personally punch Belly in the face.
If you've read my review for the first book you would probably remember that I had 2 major problems with it: the writing style and the main character.

This time the writing was ok but Belly was freaking annoying. PUT YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS you idiot and stop acting like a child all the time oh my god.
In the middle of the book I was like "why why why why wHYYYYYYYY". I was scr...more
Christine
"There are moments in life that you wish with all your heart you could take back.Like, just erase from existence.Like,if you could,you'd erase yourself right out of existence too,just to make that moment not exist."This books genre is realistic fiction because falling in love with someone can happen to anyone. This book is an amazing romance book, it has lots of surprises and can make you cry a bit.

The setting of the story is at the Cousins or also called as the Summer house. Jeremiah wanted Bel...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: It's Not Summer Without You / Summer Series by Jenny Han - Restarting November 16th 2014 63 67 Oct 20, 2014 12:00PM
Conrad a jerk? 50 184 Jul 04, 2014 07:30PM
What was your favourite part in this book? 4 48 Jan 07, 2014 03:39PM
The Page Turners: It's Not Summer Without You 2 36 Jul 12, 2013 02:06AM
  • Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door, #1-2)
  • Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3)
  • The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer, #1)
  • Sixteenth Summer
  • How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation (How to Ruin, #3)
  • This Is So Not Happening (He's So/She's So, #3)
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
  • Last Summer (Summer Boys, #4)
  • Twenty Boy Summer
  • Two-Way Street
  • Something Like Fate
The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1) We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3) To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1) The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy: The Summer I Turned Pretty; It's Not Summer Without You; We'll Always Have Summer

“I will never look at you in the same way ever again. I'll never be that girl again. The girl who comes running back every time you push her away, the girl who loves you anyway.” 615 likes
“How do you regret one of the best nights of your entire life? You don't. You remember every word, every look. Even when it hurts, you still remember.” 558 likes