Move!

Move!

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Animals move! Follow them as they swing, dance, float, leap, and slide from page to page, then learn why these animals move the way they do, from the jumping spider who dances to impress and then floats away on a thread of silk, to the roadrunner who flies, but not too far, and would rather run to catch its prey.

Illustrated in eye-popping cut- and torn-paper collages by Ca...more
Published April 24th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
59th out of 285 books — 122 voters
Animal Mothers by Atsushi KomoriWhose Nose and Toes? by John ButlerHave You Heard the Nesting Bird? by Rita GrayThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyAll the World by Liz Garton Scanlon
Montessori 0-3 Classroom
35th out of 79 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Cemeread
This book can be used on two levels. The spreads show two animals with how they are moving in large print (walk). It also tells something about how each is moving in this way, but for the animal on the right side the sentence continues on the next page with a second way the animals moves, tying it in to the word and now new animal. An example, a gibbon is shown ,"...or walks on two back legs. A jacana walks on floating lily pads..." On the next spread, left side, "... then dives in to catch a fi...more
Emily
Apr 09, 2008 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cut paper illustrations like I do.
Summary: Animals are shown doing different two different actions; snakes slither and snakes climb.

Review: I love cut paper designs, and these are especially spectacular. The illustrations provide the texture and dimension of the animal they portray in different movements. I really enjoyed the way that the animals were were shown in two movements connecting them with another very different animal who moves the same way. The pictures make the book for me, but the text is more than adequate. I enj...more
Becky
This book presents a series of animals and names two ways each animal moves, skillfully linking each animal to the next with the second manner of movement.

For example, a snake slithers, but when you turn the page you find that the snake can also climb. On the opposite side of the spread, you learn that a praying mantis can climb. Turn the page and you find that the praying mantis can also fly. On the opposite side of the page, you learn that a roadrunner can fly. Turn the page and you learn that...more
Meg McGregor
The favorite book I read this entire week to Lexi!

I like how the animals literally seem to leap, fly, walk, glide, etc. off the page.

Zatika
Another awesome collage from Steve Jenkins. How on earth did he do that?
babyhippoface
A crocodile leaps and slithers, a jumping spider dances and floats, and a penguin slides and waddles. The latest offering from husband-wife team of Steve Jenkins and Robin Page focuses on action verbs and animal movement. The cut-and-torn paper illustrations are wonderfully detailed and texture-rich, making this an excellent addition to classroom units on action verbs. More details about each featured animal are given at book’s end, which opens up possibilities in animal units as well.
Matthew
This book about animal movement is simple and informative. The text moves across the page is many interesting, unexpected ways that I'm sure a child would find engaging. The last few pages contain further information about each of the different species that are found on the pages before. I learned a lot from the last pages and a reader that wanted to know more about a perticular animal would be sure to find the information he or she wanted there.
Pamela
A quick, fun, and educational book for young readers. Each page explores another way of moving: swim, leap, climb, slither and more each illustrated with simple, but wonderful illustrations of different animals showing how they move. (ie: a penguin waddles, an armadillo swims) My three year old can't get enough of it, and I think it would be a great book for any beginning reader as the action words are connected to memorable movement.
Melissa Stewart
All of Steve Jenkin's book are amazing, but this is my favorite. Readers will be intrigued by his wonderful cut-paper collages and fascinated by his clever layout. Using page turns to their full advantage, Jenkins shows us two animals that move in a particular way and two movements for each featured animal. Young children will fall in love with this title.

Milo P.
Dec 23, 2012 Milo P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Library find
I didn't mind looking through the book with my Mama. But, she was the one who would pull this book from the stack. She loved the pictures. She would point out the textures in the illustrations. She kept asking Papa how he thought the artist made the pictures. I just wanted to get through it so that we could read the next book. But, I did like the bunny picture.
Maren
Parents beware: If you read this book with your child, you're likely to get a good workout from it, as your child may insist on you helping her to swing like a monkey, fly like a bird, and slide like a penguin amongst other things. That has been my experience, anyway. Luckily it's a library book and will eventually have to be returned.:-)
Naomi
An interesting book about how animals move. It is not incredibly detailed. It shows how there are many different types of movement and how many animals do more than one and move like each other. At the end there is move information about all the various animals mentioned in the book.
Brenda Cregor
No story, just an EXCELLENT way to introduce verbs to children.
Our class chant is: " A verb! A verb! An action word!"
This book depicts this part of speech perfectly.
It also has great prepositionaly phrases.
Wolf Trap Institute For Early Learning Through the Arts
For dance and movement story boxes; energy quality, body awareness, speed and tempo, spatial awareness, gross motor skills,
sequencing and recall; addressing kinesthetic, visual and musical learning styles.
Move! is the features 'making of' video on Steve Jenkins' website. My students especially liked the camera trick at the end. Totally recommended -- my second graders loved this book!
Heidi
ABC book about each animal, no story like, very simple to read. Different animals made it interesting. Loved the illustrations. More explanations about each animal at the end of the book.
Jen
Aug 07, 2011 Jen added it
Shelves: children-s-books
about motion in nature. text is set off by one motion word. good illustrations. another reminder that, mostly, simpler is better when it comes to children's lit.
Lori
Loved it. Great illustrations. Great verbs. Loved that each animal moved two ways...leading to the way the next animal moved.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Steve Jenkins' illustrations make this book. My only complaint is that, among all the different ways animals move, they forgot hop.
Bri Zabriskie
Praying Mantises can fly!?! Oh, I'm so creeped out! :)

This book is simple but I think great for toddler-age audiences.
Ashley Massa
Picture Book 33
Such a great nonfiction picture book! I loved how informative this was, yet such fun pictures.
Peacegal
Jenkin's stunning papercut animals leap from the page. Not much of a story, but lots of action here!
Marilyn
Animals move all these different ways, can you? Eric Carle-esque illustrations. Fun.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Simple look at all the difference words that describe how animals move.
Megan
A lovely easy read non-fiction. Great for animals and for verbs.
Rebecca
I like the text layout in this book
Mckinley
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Rain
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Who Hops?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Dancing Feet!
  • The Bear Who Shared
Sisters and Brothers: Sibling Relationships in the Animal World How to Clean a Hippopotamus: A Look at Unusual Animal Partnerships Animals in Flight Weather Forecasting How The Fox Got Its Pointed Nose