Start by marking “Move!” as Want to Read:
Move!

Move!

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Animals move! Follow them as they swing, dance, float, leap, and slide from page to page, then learn why these animals move the way they do, from the jumping spider who dances to impress and then floats away on a thread of silk, to the roadrunner who flies, but not too far, and would rather run to catch its prey.

Illustrated in eye-popping cut- and torn-paper collages by Ca
Published April 24th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Move!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Move!

Melissa Stewart
May 24, 2010 Melissa Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Steve Jenkin's book are amazing, but this is my favorite. Readers will be intrigued by his wonderful cut-paper collages and fascinated by his clever layout. Using page turns to their full advantage, Jenkins shows us two animals that move in a particular way and two movements for each featured animal. Young children will fall in love with this title.

Cemeread
Jun 20, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-non-fiction
This book can be used on two levels. The spreads show two animals with how they are moving in large print (walk). It also tells something about how each is moving in this way, but for the animal on the right side the sentence continues on the next page with a second way the animals moves, tying it in to the word and now new animal. An example, a gibbon is shown ,"...or walks on two back legs. A jacana walks on floating lily pads..." On the next spread, left side, "... then dives in to catch a fi ...more
Brooke Bradford
Nov 15, 2015 Brooke Bradford rated it really liked it
Annotation: How do different animals move? Some animals Swing, Walk, Dive, Swim, Leap, Slither, Climb, Fly, Run, Dance, Float, Slide, and Waddle. The Gibbon can swing, and walk. The Jacana walks, and dives. The Blue Whale dives and swims. The Armadillo swims and leaps. The crocodile leaps and slithers. The snake slithers and climbs. The praying mantis climbs and flies. The roadrunner flies and runs. The arctic hare runs and dances. The jumping spider dances and floats. The polar bear floats and ...more
Calihan Scott
May 08, 2015 Calihan Scott rated it really liked it
* Personal Reaction: I thought this book was really fun. It is a great book about how animals move. The illustrations go perfectly with the book. There is a great use of colors and texture in each picture. It is a great beginning to read book for children. There is a simple sentence on each page.
* Read Aloud: This book would be perfect for preschool to first grade children. This book could be used for an animal or movement unit.
* Independent Read: This could be a really fun book for students to
Bonnie
May 05, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I recently realized how many great books Steve Jenkins has published--unbeknownst to me I own more than 20 in my library already! Upon realizing that I've been doing a mini author study with my second and third graders, and I'm using "Move" to introduce his work. It's a fun read aloud, and his paper art is evident in most of the pictures. His website features a video of how how makes his books, focusing on "Move", so it's a good choice that way, too. I would love to do a collaborative project wi ...more
Molly Decker
Mar 22, 2016 Molly Decker rated it really liked it
This was my first Steve Jenkins book and I'm sure it will be the first of many! I absolutely loved the layout of the book with the illustrations. They were realistic and very eye catching. I really enjoyed that two different animals are shown using the same movement and also how it shows how the same movement can differ between animals.

Move! would be a great informational / nonfiction Read Aloud for grades K-1. Move! could be used for an animal or a movement lesson plan. Students can also learn
Ruth Ann
Sep 02, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
As always, the cut paper collages by Steve Jenkins are fabulous - dimensional, realistic and full of movement! But my favorite part of this book is how it is laid out. I like that two different animals are shown illustrating the same movement but also that each animal is depicted moving in two ways.

I was completely enchanted with the roadrunner and the dancing rabbits. I have witnessed both in their natural habitats and Jenkins has captured the essence of these animals in the "wild". After readi
Linda
It’s a book new to me by this team, a “gallop” through actions done by many animals. I imagine using this for descriptions in stories, a lesson in verbs. Jenkins uses clever wording to move from animal to animal. For example, a spider “dances to impress”, and then “floats away on a thread of silk.” But the next animal connects, to “float”, a polar bear floating in the sea. There is additional information about each animal at the back, and the illustrations are the usual lovely collages.
Emily
Apr 09, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cut paper illustrations like I do.
Summary: Animals are shown doing different two different actions; snakes slither and snakes climb.

Review: I love cut paper designs, and these are especially spectacular. The illustrations provide the texture and dimension of the animal they portray in different movements. I really enjoyed the way that the animals were were shown in two movements connecting them with another very different animal who moves the same way. The pictures make the book for me, but the text is more than adequate. I enj
Taylor Horvat
Feb 23, 2015 Taylor Horvat rated it really liked it
Kids would love this book about the different ways that animals move. The illustrations are unique and 3D looking, using different textures and colors to look realistic, and the way the words are placed on the page are appealing to the eye.

I would use this book in a preschool-1st grade classroom for a read aloud on a lesson plan with animals or movement in general. Students can learn about action through the simple verbs in this book, and they will also enjoy the realistic illustrations.
Becky
Jan 29, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: children-and-ya
This book presents a series of animals and names two ways each animal moves, skillfully linking each animal to the next with the second manner of movement.

For example, a snake slithers, but when you turn the page you find that the snake can also climb. On the opposite side of the spread, you learn that a praying mantis can climb. Turn the page and you find that the praying mantis can also fly. On the opposite side of the page, you learn that a roadrunner can fly. Turn the page and you learn that
Diana Thomsen
Mar 09, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
While this wasn't as well received by the kiddos as I had hoped (They were really hyper today!), but the parents and I all enjoyed it. And since it was the lead-in book to a "Get Moving!" storytime, I can't really complaint that they were super active! :)
Heather
May 25, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction, nature
As always Steve Jenkins is amazing. This book appeals to my almost three year old but it could also work well as a review for what a verb is for my 1st/2nd grader. Every large bold word on each page is an action.
Destiny
Mar 26, 2015 Destiny rated it it was amazing
Great book for preschool. Used the pictures and first letters to predict the movement word. Then demonstrated our own movements afterwards.
Meg McGregor
Jun 19, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
The favorite book I read this entire week to Lexi!

I like how the animals literally seem to leap, fly, walk, glide, etc. off the page.

Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
AWESOME job of movement through collage art and string action verb from one animal example to another. GREAT technique!
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Joanna
Mar 15, 2016 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Fun! Cameron really enjoyed talking about all of the ways he moves his body after finishing this inventive collection of action words brought to life in large format illustrations.
Liz Todd
Feb 20, 2015 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
Fun nonfiction read aloud! Love the art, love the format of the text from page to page.
Sue Poduska
Mar 04, 2015 Sue Poduska rated it really liked it
Graphic look at the different ways animals move. Plenty of back material.
Clacie
Feb 02, 2015 Clacie rated it it was ok
Meh. It was ok. Jesse has brought home better books from the library.
Zatika
Jun 10, 2014 Zatika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-bcbkk
Another awesome collage from Steve Jenkins. How on earth did he do that?
Natasha
Sep 02, 2015 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Good action book and short pages for babies.
Karen
This is a great mentor text for Grammar--Verbs!
Jill
Feb 26, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
Great for toddlers.
babyhippoface
A crocodile leaps and slithers, a jumping spider dances and floats, and a penguin slides and waddles. The latest offering from husband-wife team of Steve Jenkins and Robin Page focuses on action verbs and animal movement. The cut-and-torn paper illustrations are wonderfully detailed and texture-rich, making this an excellent addition to classroom units on action verbs. More details about each featured animal are given at book’s end, which opens up possibilities in animal units as well.
Matthew
Jun 26, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
This book about animal movement is simple and informative. The text moves across the page is many interesting, unexpected ways that I'm sure a child would find engaging. The last few pages contain further information about each of the different species that are found on the pages before. I learned a lot from the last pages and a reader that wanted to know more about a perticular animal would be sure to find the information he or she wanted there.
Pamela
Dec 29, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A quick, fun, and educational book for young readers. Each page explores another way of moving: swim, leap, climb, slither and more each illustrated with simple, but wonderful illustrations of different animals showing how they move. (ie: a penguin waddles, an armadillo swims) My three year old can't get enough of it, and I think it would be a great book for any beginning reader as the action words are connected to memorable movement.
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 Milo rated it liked it
Recommended to Milo by: Library find
I didn't mind looking through the book with my Mama. But, she was the one who would pull this book from the stack. She loved the pictures. She would point out the textures in the illustrations. She kept asking Papa how he thought the artist made the pictures. I just wanted to get through it so that we could read the next book. But, I did like the bunny picture.
Maren
Apr 14, 2012 Maren rated it really liked it
Parents beware: If you read this book with your child, you're likely to get a good workout from it, as your child may insist on you helping her to swing like a monkey, fly like a bird, and slide like a penguin amongst other things. That has been my experience, anyway. Luckily it's a library book and will eventually have to be returned.:-)
  • Time to Eat
  • Jump!
  • Hello, Day!
  • If You're Hoppy
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Hello Baby!
  • This Little Chick
  • I Can Help
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying