Start by marking “Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)” as Want to Read:
Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)

Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,640 ratings  ·  135 reviews
People magazine named Eloisa James' novel Midnight Pleasures “Page Turner of the Week” and raved “Romance writing does not get much better than this.” Now the acclaimed author returns with another sumptuous tale of passion and misadventure in Regency England....

Gabrielle Jerningham cherishes the portrait of her betrothed, the perfect Peter Dewland...until she meets his com
Published April 30th 2002 by Dell (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanting Pleasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanting Pleasures

This was my first Eloisa James and I must admit that it doesn't make me want to try a second one of her books. It wasn't badly written, well not too badly, but the book's bra straps were totally showing.

Erskine Dewland's viscount father has arranged for Quill, as Erskine is nicknamed, to marry Gabrielle Jerningham, the daughter of a duke's younger son who has been living in India as a missionary. However, Quill's riding accident a few years back left him with a bum leg and migraines - acute thre
Historic Romance Disappointing

This is my third Eloisa James novel. After loving the first two, I found this one oddly disjointed. It starts with great promise, a likeable heroine with a vivid imagination and two lovely children in her care. But the children don't stay in the story for long, I wish they did, and the heroine loses her sense of humor not much later.

The nature of their marital conflict leaves the bulk of this novel fairly tense, as Gabby tells her newly bereaved mother-in-law,

♥ Melody
My very first Eloisa book I read and I really loved it. Really charming story. Really surprised me how much fun it was reading this. There's so much heart, love, passion and angst all in one. I love Quill. He broke my heart. I believe this is the most angst-filled series Eloisa has written. Caught me by surprise completely. The story was both really funny witty and heartbreaking at the same time. Gabby is not your typical heroine. She's different when compared to other heroine's I've read in oth ...more
Like all books in the Pleasures series, it had lovable characters. Quill and Gabby could not be more opposite. He's the silent and brooding type while Gabby is the chatterbox and cheerful type.

Well, I gotta say, Eloisa James did put a part where one of them was dying... but... still. (view spoiler) I wished there was more of Quill's romantic, desperate pleas for Gabby.

I have a favorite scene here, though.
Love it. Just read the back cover (which is mostly all I do with romance novels - usually - but when it says that the hero has an injury that causes him headaches from "rhythmic motion" - how can you NOT read this book?).
Delight. Marred only by the fact that no satisfying conversation takes place in the end about how Quill does for his wife what he abhorred his wife doing for him.
This was by far the best of the series. I think it is probably because when the potential for misunderstanding comes up, i.e. the husband saying something ridiculous, instead of getting her feelings hurt and staying silent for weeks on end, Gabby totally calls him on it. I loved it--she wouldn't really let him be too much of an idiot, which made this book a lot of fun. I also loved her quirky character and loved that Quill loved her for it. I'm also a sucker for when the "lady of the house" make ...more
Jenny Rebecca
Awwwww! For some reason this is one of my favorite of Eloisa's. Next to the first one in this series. I love how much Quil fights his desire. Good stuff.
Possibly my favorite romance of all times...full of flawed people who just make you want to laugh your way into love!
This is my first novel by James, and despite reading the mixed reviews other readers have given, I do have to admit that I enjoyed the book very much. It works pretty well for a standalone novel, considering there's no background information needed prior to reading it unlike some series.

Her writing style is easy to follow and simple. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the pages for the large part. The plot wasn't extremely inspired or special, and follows the typical double brother falling in lo
Shipped off to England to meet her betrothed, Gabby leaves India in the company of young Miss Phoebe and Prince Kasi Rao. A talented storyteller, Gabby keeps the children busy aboard the vessel with tales of India and her dreams for a happy marriage. But all is not well in England. Gabby has been promised to Peter Dewland, who most assuredly does not look forward to marriage with a backward girl from India. While Peter agonizes over his filial responsibilities, his brother Quill struggles to ove ...more
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Hayyyyaaaaaa..... segini ajah deh...
suwer.. cape baca nya.. keliyengan liat tokoh bejibun dalam 1 buku...

bagi gw.. masih bagusan ... Potent Pleasures (Pleasures, #1) by Eloisa James disini Quill nya manis banget... (I want a Bad Boy!!)

Daan... Selalu ada 'Ambang Kematian' di semua cerita Pleasure Series...

Actually, Mrs. James made a great story in every book.. but, don't know why.. I didn't get some emotion here...

==PecintaPriaNakalBersaksiDisini...Gw ga menemukan 'Pria Nakal' disini==
Even if you didn't know this was an early Eloisa novel, you could tell if you had read a few of her recent novels as I have. Her signature and beloved whimsy isn't as prevalent here, but it rears up every now and again to the delight of readers!

-The dream sequence was neat! I hadn't encountered anything like it so far in a novel.

-A character of questionable sexuality. Again, not something I see frequently.

-Lady Sylvia! I won't be forgetting her anytime soon. Too bad the story didn't allow
I don't actually have a "romance" shelf, so we'll just go with a combo of chicklit and historical fiction . . .

Anyway. This book is hysterically funny, in a truly charming way. Quill, the oldest son, knows he will never sire an heir to his family's estate, because an injury has made it impossible for him. No, it's not what you're thinking! Wait for it . . . "Repetitive, rhythmic exercise" causes him to having blinding headaches. (Take a minute to giggle.) His younger brother, a true dandy, has
This is probably more of a 3.5 stars but since I liked this one the best out of the trilogy, I'm bumping it up to 4.

Loved the fact that unlike the first two, there was no jealousy or exes in the wings this time (Peter doesn't really count). Really enjoyed Quill and his interactions with Gabby and the way they flirted and dealt with his "problem" at times really cracked me up. The other plot lines - with the little Indian prince and then with Lucien Both and little Phoebe's Aunt Emily was really
mungkin dari seri pleasures aku paling suka yang ini lalu tentang Charlotte (seri 1) lalu yang seri kedua.
untuk seri ini aku kasih 3.5 bintang.

aku suka banget dengan Quill. dan aku benar-benar ketawa saat dia menghapal puisi-puisi untuk 'memikat' hati heroine-nya yang juga menahan tawa saat mendengar Quill mengucapkannya padanya (love that scene!)
diperlukan satu lolongan untuk menyadarkannya. "Quill, kau harus melepaskanku! aku mendapatkan reaksi sangat aneh terhadap obat Sudhakar... aku merasa
Meh, again. 2.5 stars? A weak 3?

I need to take a healthy, long-ish break from romance, I think, because I'm finding the common tropes more eye-roll-worthy than comforting. This particular book had a formula I anticipated enjoying, but so many pivotal moments were rushed and I never felt any real concern for the characters. I'm all about Dem Health Issues and the resulting hurt/comfort and eventual, inevitable cure, but it would be nice to linger a bit longer in uncertainty. From the start, it's
So he can't have sex because he suffered an injury that leaves him with a horrible three day headache after horse riding and apparently, woman riding. Which, really, I didn't much care about because his personality was comparable to drift wood and who wants someone as boring as that to procreate and have little baby drift woods? And the heroine, remarkably dumb and naive...seriously. Though, she does have something that makes up for it--remarkably large breasts. Really James? You can do better. ...more
I am not sure that I would characterise this novel as an ‘Enchanting Pleasure’ but more of a ‘Prolonged Torture.’ Perhaps ‘Torture’ is a tad too strong, maybe ‘Anguish’ is more suitable. Either way, my sense of relief when I turned the final page was swift and all-consuming. I feel annoyed that I have a negative view of this novel, because I have read other Eloisa James novels which I have given such high ratings, so felt all the more disappointed with this novel.

In general I would say that th
This is, by my standards, a 2.5

I found this James' novel to ebb and flow. There were great swaths of story where I just felt bored to tears- specifically the exposition, where Peter, Quill, and Gabby's characters were set up as well as Lucien and Emily's story which had no relevancy for me.

Other parts had some great momentum. James' really nailed the sexual tension in the book between Quill and Gabby; it had an additional layer of conflict due to Quill's injury. I found that extremely compelling
Linda Smith
Eloisa James manipulates my emotions is a most delightful way. There were a couple of humorous scenes that caused me to laugh until tears ran down my cheeks. Other parts of the book made me cry for different reasons. And her sex scenes are sizzling hot. Our heroine, Gabby Jerningham, has traveled from India to wed the younger son of a Viscount with whom her father has had business dealings. Gabby is a talkative, opinionated, messy, clumsy, voluptuous woman. She was originally promised to the old ...more
Lynn Bohler
3rd of the Pleasures trilogy. Gabrielle, or Gabby, is not your typical romantic heroine. She's one of those poor girls who can't do anything right. She's clumsy, uncouth, and has a major wardrobe malfunction at her first ball. She repels her fiance, the pristine and fashionable, Peter, but attracts his brother Quinn. Quinn has health issues that may cause problems in the bedroom.
Gabby is one of my favorite characters.
Jun 30, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: 2007-reads
An extremely weak effort by James, who's clearly phoning in her research. And while calling the denouement of a romance novel silly may almost be redundant given the cliches of the genre, the rushed conclusion here is worthy of particular mockery. (Fabricated Indian poison! Last minute medical crisis to cover lack of resolution of relationship issues!) Disappointing, when her work is usually so stellar.
A nice little bodice-ripper. It got a little ruined at the end (view spoiler)
Natalie Wipf
Last book in the series. It was great. I like the fact that Gabby isn't comfortable with sex at first- during those times women weren't raised to embrace it. She's shy about it. Quill is stubborn but it's expected given his condition and all the potions his mom tried to get him to take to cure him. Quite a finish to the book.
I know I'll read these books again down the line.

I enjoyed this book and the main character was enchanting. The ending was a little odd, but that is why I read the notes and afterwards by the author to understand where they get their ideas for solutions to problems encountered in the story. The author sewed up all the loose ends by the time the story ended and you were not left hanging wondering what happened to so and so.
Gabrielle Jerningham has been raised by a father who berated her at every turn. She gets a chance to marry a viscount but he is really the second son. The elder son Quill has been badly injured in a horse riding accident and that is whom she falls in love with. Their romance and her struggle to become "proper" is great.

You can't go wrong with Eloisa James.
Amazing! I really enjoyed this book for the simple reason that the main female character was a strong, speak her mind, take no crap gal! There was no whining and repeated lines. The story was great, lots of little twists and turns that keep you wondering,moved at a nice pace and the other characters were enjoyable to learn about.
Georgie Me
oh good lord

What the he!! is Eloisa James thinking. I have enjoyed several EJ series - Fairy Tales , Essex (not so much all of the Duchess series, but what the heck) but this book? I can't even.

a) the heroine is whiny and an idiot. More than an idiot. She makes choices for other people without daring the think of the consequences and conversations about said choices take pages and pages. We get it; we don't need to be hit over the head with it.

b) the h
It's an Eloisa James book. What more needs be said? This was a non-stop read ( listen) for me. I liked it a lot. The characters were all flawed so it wasn't all sunshine and flowers. I really liked Quill. He's one of my new favorite characters. And I loved Phoebe. I'm sorry she sort of fell out of the picture. I found the story of her "new mother" and Lucien Bosch a bit odd. It was nice but too quick and seemed an unnecessary distraction. Lucien deserved his own book.

Susan Duerden does another
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 10, 2015 07:47AM
  • The Lady Flees Her Lord
  • Courting Claudia
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Lord of Danger
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • A Dangerous Beauty (Widows Club, #1)
  • Just One Kiss
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To Series #1)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Who Will Take This Man? (Regency, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James...

Pleasures (3 books)
  • Potent Pleasures (Pleasures, #1)
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) Paris in Love The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)

“I think only someone I loved as much as you could make me behave like such an idiot.” 3 likes
“Beauty had just squatted under one of the chairs lining the hallway. A small trickle was creeping across the marble floor.
'She's too intelligent to pay mind to me,' Lady Sylvia said blandly. 'All three dogs are French, and they behave just like Frenchmen. Decorative but peevish.”