Start by marking “Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)” as Want to Read:
Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)

Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures #3)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,421 ratings  ·  120 reviews
"People" magazine named Eloisa James' novel Midnight Pleasures "Page Turner of the Week" and raved "Romance writing does not get much better than this." Now the acclaimed author returns with another sumptuous tale of passion and misadventure in Regency England....
Gabrielle Jerningham cherishes the portrait of her betrothed, the perfect Peter Dewland...until she meets his
Published April 30th 2002 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanting Pleasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanting Pleasures

Ridley
This was my first Eloisa James and I must admit that it doesn't make me want to try a second one of her books. It wasn't badly written, well not too badly, but the book's bra straps were totally showing.

Erskine Dewland's viscount father has arranged for Quill, as Erskine is nicknamed, to marry Gabrielle Jerningham, the daughter of a duke's younger son who has been living in India as a missionary. However, Quill's riding accident a few years back left him with a bum leg and migraines - acute thre
Jenn
Love it. Just read the back cover (which is mostly all I do with romance novels - usually - but when it says that the hero has an injury that causes him headaches from "rhythmic motion" - how can you NOT read this book?).
Lois
Delight. Marred only by the fact that no satisfying conversation takes place in the end about how Quill does for his wife what he abhorred his wife doing for him.
♥ Melody
My very first Eloisa book I read and I really loved it. Really charming story. Really surprised me how much fun it was reading this. There's so much heart, love, passion and angst all in one. I love Quill. He broke my heart. I believe this is the most angst-filled series Eloisa has written. Caught me by surprise completely. The story was both really funny witty and heartbreaking at the same time. Gabby is not your typical heroine. She's different when compared to other heroine's I've read in oth ...more
Celina
Like all books in the Pleasures series, it had lovable characters. Quill and Gabby could not be more opposite. He's the silent and brooding type while Gabby is the chatterbox and cheerful type.

Well, I gotta say, Eloisa James did put a part where one of them was dying... but... still. (view spoiler) I wished there was more of Quill's romantic, desperate pleas for Gabby.

I have a favorite scene here, though.
(vi
Jill
This was by far the best of the series. I think it is probably because when the potential for misunderstanding comes up, i.e. the husband saying something ridiculous, instead of getting her feelings hurt and staying silent for weeks on end, Gabby totally calls him on it. I loved it--she wouldn't really let him be too much of an idiot, which made this book a lot of fun. I also loved her quirky character and loved that Quill loved her for it. I'm also a sucker for when the "lady of the house" make ...more
Jenny Rebecca
Awwwww! For some reason this is one of my favorite of Eloisa's. Next to the first one in this series. I love how much Quil fights his desire. Good stuff.
Becca
Possibly my favorite romance of all times...full of flawed people who just make you want to laugh your way into love!
Gwyneth
This is my first novel by James, and despite reading the mixed reviews other readers have given, I do have to admit that I enjoyed the book very much. It works pretty well for a standalone novel, considering there's no background information needed prior to reading it unlike some series.

Her writing style is easy to follow and simple. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the pages for the large part. The plot wasn't extremely inspired or special, and follows the typical double brother falling in lo
Gricel
Shipped off to England to meet her betrothed, Gabby leaves India in the company of young Miss Phoebe and Prince Kasi Rao. A talented storyteller, Gabby keeps the children busy aboard the vessel with tales of India and her dreams for a happy marriage. But all is not well in England. Gabby has been promised to Peter Dewland, who most assuredly does not look forward to marriage with a backward girl from India. While Peter agonizes over his filial responsibilities, his brother Quill struggles to ove ...more
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Hayyyyaaaaaa..... segini ajah deh...
suwer.. cape baca nya.. keliyengan liat tokoh bejibun dalam 1 buku...

bagi gw.. masih bagusan ... Potent Pleasures (Pleasures, #1) by Eloisa James disini Quill nya manis banget... (I want a Bad Boy!!)

Daan... Selalu ada 'Ambang Kematian' di semua cerita Pleasure Series...

Actually, Mrs. James made a great story in every book.. but, don't know why.. I didn't get some emotion here...

==PecintaPriaNakalBersaksiDisini...Gw ga menemukan 'Pria Nakal' disini==
Quinn
Even if you didn't know this was an early Eloisa novel, you could tell if you had read a few of her recent novels as I have. Her signature and beloved whimsy isn't as prevalent here, but it rears up every now and again to the delight of readers!

Pros:

-The dream sequence was neat! I hadn't encountered anything like it so far in a novel.

-A character of questionable sexuality. Again, not something I see frequently.

-Lady Sylvia! I won't be forgetting her anytime soon. Too bad the story didn't allow
Jessica
I don't actually have a "romance" shelf, so we'll just go with a combo of chicklit and historical fiction . . .

Anyway. This book is hysterically funny, in a truly charming way. Quill, the oldest son, knows he will never sire an heir to his family's estate, because an injury has made it impossible for him. No, it's not what you're thinking! Wait for it . . . "Repetitive, rhythmic exercise" causes him to having blinding headaches. (Take a minute to giggle.) His younger brother, a true dandy, has
steph
This is probably more of a 3.5 stars but since I liked this one the best out of the trilogy, I'm bumping it up to 4.

Loved the fact that unlike the first two, there was no jealousy or exes in the wings this time (Peter doesn't really count). Really enjoyed Quill and his interactions with Gabby and the way they flirted and dealt with his "problem" at times really cracked me up. The other plot lines - with the little Indian prince and then with Lucien Both and little Phoebe's Aunt Emily was really
Red
mungkin dari seri pleasures aku paling suka yang ini lalu tentang Charlotte (seri 1) lalu yang seri kedua.
untuk seri ini aku kasih 3.5 bintang.

aku suka banget dengan Quill. dan aku benar-benar ketawa saat dia menghapal puisi-puisi untuk 'memikat' hati heroine-nya yang juga menahan tawa saat mendengar Quill mengucapkannya padanya (love that scene!)
diperlukan satu lolongan untuk menyadarkannya. "Quill, kau harus melepaskanku! aku mendapatkan reaksi sangat aneh terhadap obat Sudhakar... aku merasa
Vivian
So he can't have sex because he suffered an injury that leaves him with a horrible three day headache after horse riding and apparently, woman riding. Which, really, I didn't much care about because his personality was comparable to drift wood and who wants someone as boring as that to procreate and have little baby drift woods? And the heroine, remarkably dumb and naive...seriously. Though, she does have something that makes up for it--remarkably large breasts. Really James? You can do better. ...more
Kelly
I am not sure that I would characterise this novel as an ‘Enchanting Pleasure’ but more of a ‘Prolonged Torture.’ Perhaps ‘Torture’ is a tad too strong, maybe ‘Anguish’ is more suitable. Either way, my sense of relief when I turned the final page was swift and all-consuming. I feel annoyed that I have a negative view of this novel, because I have read other Eloisa James novels which I have given such high ratings, so felt all the more disappointed with this novel.

In general I would say that th
Jessica
This is, by my standards, a 2.5

I found this James' novel to ebb and flow. There were great swaths of story where I just felt bored to tears- specifically the exposition, where Peter, Quill, and Gabby's characters were set up as well as Lucien and Emily's story which had no relevancy for me.

Other parts had some great momentum. James' really nailed the sexual tension in the book between Quill and Gabby; it had an additional layer of conflict due to Quill's injury. I found that extremely compelling
Lynn Bohler
3rd of the Pleasures trilogy. Gabrielle, or Gabby, is not your typical romantic heroine. She's one of those poor girls who can't do anything right. She's clumsy, uncouth, and has a major wardrobe malfunction at her first ball. She repels her fiance, the pristine and fashionable, Peter, but attracts his brother Quinn. Quinn has health issues that may cause problems in the bedroom.
Gabby is one of my favorite characters.
Jun 30, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: 2007-reads
An extremely weak effort by James, who's clearly phoning in her research. And while calling the denouement of a romance novel silly may almost be redundant given the cliches of the genre, the rushed conclusion here is worthy of particular mockery. (Fabricated Indian poison! Last minute medical crisis to cover lack of resolution of relationship issues!) Disappointing, when her work is usually so stellar.
Marielle
A nice little bodice-ripper. It got a little ruined at the end (view spoiler)
Natalie Wipf
Last book in the series. It was great. I like the fact that Gabby isn't comfortable with sex at first- during those times women weren't raised to embrace it. She's shy about it. Quill is stubborn but it's expected given his condition and all the potions his mom tried to get him to take to cure him. Quite a finish to the book.
I know I'll read these books again down the line.

Barbra
I enjoyed this book and the main character was enchanting. The ending was a little odd, but that is why I read the notes and afterwards by the author to understand where they get their ideas for solutions to problems encountered in the story. The author sewed up all the loose ends by the time the story ended and you were not left hanging wondering what happened to so and so.
Marjorie
Gabrielle Jerningham has been raised by a father who berated her at every turn. She gets a chance to marry a viscount but he is really the second son. The elder son Quill has been badly injured in a horse riding accident and that is whom she falls in love with. Their romance and her struggle to become "proper" is great.

You can't go wrong with Eloisa James.
Joan
Amazing! I really enjoyed this book for the simple reason that the main female character was a strong, speak her mind, take no crap gal! There was no whining and repeated lines. The story was great, lots of little twists and turns that keep you wondering,moved at a nice pace and the other characters were enjoyable to learn about.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Gabby is promised to Peter, but finds herself drawn to Quill from the beginning. Her affections change directions, and she tries to cure Quill of the migraines that have plagued him since his accident six years ago. Passions run high whether they are arguing or loving. Great match, and good read!!
Atunah
Nice conclusion to the trilogy. Funny and fluffy read, just what I wanted. The heroine can get a bit over the top silly at times, heck, the Hero manages to get silly too at the end :)

The Hero has an "ailment" I haven't come across before so points for that and some giggles. :)
Melissa
Best of the series thus far. The historical aspects are quite interesting. Sub-plots, sweetly written, are worth reading rather than my usual skim through. The love story is playful without being overly sexualized and does not rely too heavily on worn-out plot devices.
Heidi
One of her earlier books, this was clearly the best written.of the trilogy. Who doesn't love a spunky, plump and smart heroine who falls in love with a wounded, silent hero? Overall, a really good historical romance with an exotic touch of the East.
Cheryl Tollestrup
I do enjoy Eloisa James. Her characters in this book were very likable. I couldn't quite buy into the concept of migraines devastating a marriage but maybe it's just me. Otherwise it was another nice romantic story to throw myself into!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 10, 2015 07:47AM
  • The Lady Flees Her Lord
  • Courting Claudia
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Lord of Danger
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • A Dangerous Beauty (Widows Club, #1)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • The One That Got Away
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
  • This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2)
  • How to Treat a Lady (Talisman Ring, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James...

Pleasures (3 books)
  • Potent Pleasures (Pleasures, #1)
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) Paris in Love The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)

“I think only someone I loved as much as you could make me behave like such an idiot.” 3 likes
“Gabby seemed to have made up her mind. 'I certainly wish I could help you, Lord Breksby,' she cooed, tilting her head to the side.
Quill watched cynically from the other side of the room as Breksby melted in front of his eyes. At least he wasn't alone in being bowled over by Miss Gabrielle Jerningham. Although he rather thought he, Quill, hadn't been lied to yet. If so, he reminded himself, it was only a matter of time.”
2 likes