My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5)
read book

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers 0.5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  6,826 ratings  ·  682 reviews
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patie...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
44th out of 446 books — 892 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
88th out of 1,210 books — 392 voters

More lists with this book...

E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Really, really good start to a series. Luv it.

description

Review 11/06/2011

The Plot - It's original, really original. Kaylee has a secret that no one knows. When she is near someone that is going to die she screams. Not just an 'I broke my foot scream' but a really, really 'tear up your throat scream'.

The Characters - This is a short story, so I couldn't know much of them. Nevertheless, it was enough to know that Keilee is a teen with some really dark secret and has to hide or else she'll be in deep shit....more
Heidi
My Soul to Steal

Four stars: A gripping prequel that will leave you screaming for more!

Kaylee and her best friend, Emma, chatter excitedly as they peruse the packed mall. Happily, they shop, making plans for the big homecoming dance. Without warning Kaylee begins to tremble and sweat as panic and fear assault her senses. Deep inside she can feel the scream beginning to swell, building and pushing to break free to pierce the air. Desperate, Kaylee gasps for Emma to help her. Quickly, the two girls...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Another lazy weekend review. I had but a few stolen minutes to read tonight, so instead of only making a couple chapters of headway on a long book, I figured I'd squeeze in a freebie short.

It's been a while since I've read book 1 of this series, so I thought using the prequel as a refresher course might be a good idea. Eh, not really. I thought this was an okay read, but I don't think it was absolutely necessary either.

I'd say skip this and go right to book 1, then come back and read the preque...more
Becca
Prequels have a very specific job - give you, as the reader, just enough of a taste of a series that you'll pull the bills out of your pocket to purchase the full book. So often, I've been unable to connect with the MC or its premise. Not so with this book! Rachel pulled me into the plot within four pages and created a real sense of empathy with Kaylee.

Goodreads summary: "It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaug...more
Danielle Smiley
This was a really well done short story. Even as a stand-alone story, without the rest of the series, this was so worth the read. This prequel is about Kaylee having an "episode" and ending up in a mental health ward. It's really intense, but has it's humorous moments. Kaylee meets a girl Lydia, whom I can't tell you much about without giving too much away. Lydia is my favorite in this story. This is definitely a great way to start the series.
Annie Brewer
This was a relatively quick read. A prequel if you will to the Soul Screamer books. It was a damn good one too. I can already tell I am going to devour this series. It was pretty intense and I kept turning page after page to see what happens next. Wow and what an intriguing concept this was. A different take on the paranormal world. I can't wait to delve into the next 5 books!!!!
Kayleigh {K-Books}
My Soul to Lose Review on K-Books

After having this series for a long time I finally decided to pick it up and start it. I did read the first book in this series, My Soul to Take, last year but never got around to reading the others so decided to start it again from the prequel.

Kaylee is having a normal day shopping at the Mall with her best friend Emma. But then she feels the dreaded feeling that causes her to scream uncontrollably. Waking up in a mental hospital, Kaylee knows that she is not cr...more
Nicola
My Soul To Lose is a prequel novella to Rachel Vincent's popular series, Soul Screamers, which I have yet to read! While I think it probably isn't absolutely necessary to read this novella before the rest of the series, I found it to be a lovely introduction to the world and characters. It left me with a huge urge to read the first book which hopefully I'll get to do really soon! Sometimes novellas can be lacking in substance or feel like they were cut short but this one certainly wasn't.

The sto...more
Colleen Houck
Loved this short sneak peek. Since this is my first taste of the series, I'm craving a lot more. Need to know what everything means! Moving immediately on to the next book.
The Flooze
Having never read anything from Vincent before, I was pleasantly surprised by the prequel to her Soul Screamers series. The writing was tight, the character of Kaylee felt very real, and the terror of her "panic attacks" was so well described, I felt my own throat closing uncomfortably. For an introduction to a new UF universe, it did its job of peaking my interest--I'll seek out the book.
Joana

Interesting start to the series. :D

Carina
My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
When I decided to join the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge to finally start this series, I thought it would be a good idea to read the novellas and novels in the right order and start with My Soul to Lose. I definitely didn't regret this decision, because this little novella was a perfect introduction into the series.

While we don't get to know many characters, reading this was a good way to get to know the main character Kaylee and witness how she strug...more
Lady Jaye
*You can download/read this novella/novellita(?) free on goodreads*

Ms. Vincent is a first-time author for me, and I'm really glad I got this book. I like the cover a lot too. It's a really short piece - only about 53 pages, and what a 53 pages it was!

I was completely intrigued the entire time I was reading it.

Kaylee knows she can't scream because something bad will happen. The one time she does scream, it's so horrific she ends up in a psychiatric facility. One inmate there seems to know what...more
Sarah Marie
My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent, narrated by Amanda Ronconi

Prequel to the Soul Screamers series

Kaylee Cavanaugh was supposed to just have a normal day shopping at the mall, but a panic attack took over and she couldn’t stop screaming. When she wakes up, she finds herself in a psych hospital. As she tries to convince everyone she is fine, another patient seems to be curious about who she is. My first audiobook! I would say it was a success. I didn’t love My Soul to Lose but I really en

Rose
"My Soul to Lose" is the prequel novella to Rachel Vincent's "Soul Screamers" series. I haven't read the series to date, but I have to say that it's a wonderful, eerie introduction that piqued my curiosity and interest in the series. The story centers around Kaylee Cavenaugh, a young woman afflicted with an odd series of panic attacks. Unfortunately, after a panic incident in the middle of the mall (and seeing shadows closing in over a boy in a wheelchair), Kaylee ends up in a mental institution...more
Jannat Bhat ( Obsessive Compulsive Reader)
That's some way to start a series. It was so damn intriguing. I sure can say that I did like it but then I have so many questions and it left me wanting more. In this short prequel, we meet Kaylee Cavanaugh and her best friend Emma. Kaylee was a very normal teenager, she has a best friend and of course teenage dilemmas. Talk about plotting revenge with the help of the best friend. Everything was fine until she had this weird feeling. Her panic attack started happening and she started seeing this...more
Andrea
I am re-reading the Soul Screamers series as part of the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge, hosted by the awesome Rachel at Fiktshun. I recently read the entire series, including the novellas and, I believe, all of the short stories found in various anthologies. But this reading challenge was too good to pass up.

My first introduction to the Soul Screamers series was an audiobook of My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #1) that I found free on Audible. I loved it and quickly downloaded My Soul to Tak...more
Inspired Kathy
My Soul to Lose is a short Prequel to My Soul to Take.

I'm actually glad I read My Soul to Take first. This could have been a prologue to that book but I liked not knowing what was in this book when I read My Soul to Take. I think you can honestly go either way, read this first or the book first but I would recommend reading My Soul to Take first.

There is really nothing more I can say that won't be a spoiler. A must read for Soul Screamers fans.

Rating: 4 Stars - Great Book

Content: language, innue...more
AH
Nice, short story setting up Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series. I enjoyed this story and will definitely be reading the rest of the series. I loved the heroine Kaylee and how she struggled to deal with her ability to sense impending death.

She has a rather wry sense of humor and when her aunt sends her some clothes to the mental health institute, Kaylee puts on the clothes. Later, she notices that the sweatsuit is made of a sparkly material. She comments to herself: "Great. I'm psychotic an...more
Kelley Anne
This was a great short story! It's the prequal to a new series by one of my favorite authors. I'll admit that before I read it I thought that I probably wouldn't be interested. But I found that not only was I pulled in by the story, now I can't wait for the first book to be released. For those interested, you can download a free copy off of Vincent's website. I got a copy of the audiobook for free off of audible.com. This seems to be the start of a great new series!
Shirley
Well, this started the series off with a bang. There is no possible way to not continue reading once you get a taste of what Rachel Vincent inevitably has in store for readers in the Soul Screamers Series.

Kaylee is a character that you automatically sympathize with. The scenario is set and you have no choice but to keep reading. This is a really quick read and easy to finish in one sitting. You get to know just a couple of the characters, but that’s enough. The author leaves you with just the ri...more
Rola
www.xoreads.blogspot.ca for more reviews ! :D

For a novella, this was fricken amazing. How weird is it that on page 19, i was on the edge of my seat, flipping like a maniac?
I got a copy of this in the Soul Screamers Volume 1, but i have decided to review each one of the books seperately. But after finishing My soul to lose , i was SO excited to get started with the actual first book in the series, its just so damn good. The concept is amazing & a breathe of fresh air to YA.
I really loved Ly...more
My Soul to Lose is a prequel novella for the Soul Screamers series that can be read for free on Rachel Vincent's website. I'm a massive fan of Rachel's adult Shifters series so have been looking forward to starting this new series for a long time now and I can tell you now it doesn't disappoint - I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the books!

I don't want to go into much detail about what happens as it would be very easy to give spoilers for a short story so I'll just say that as a prequ...more
Elena
Es sollte ein schöner Tag im Einkaufszentrum werden: Shoppen und herumalbern mit ihrer besten Freundin Emma. Doch dann bekommt Kaylee Cavanaugh eine Panikattacke und kann nicht mehr aufhören zu schreien. Bis sie in einer psychiatrischen Einheit aufwacht. Wie kann sie die Ärzte davon überzeugen, dass sie bei klarem Verstand ist?

Der Prequel zu der “Soul Screamers”-Serie erzählt die Geschichte von Kaylees Aufenthalt in der Psychiatrie. Ihr Ziel ist es, so schnell wie möglich daraus zu kommen. Schli...more
Alex Bennett
Feb 26, 2012 Alex Bennett marked it as to-read
I’ve been wanting to read the Soul Screamers series for a long time, but for some reason haven’t. Recently, however, I finally picked up My Soul to Lose, a short novella that prequels the events in the first book in the Soul Screamers series, and it was great.

The pace of My Soul to Lose is a little slow for such a short story, but it definitely kept my attention all the way through. I wasn’t sure at all how a story about a girl that screams when people are about to die would keep me hooked, but...more
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
I started this series with the prequel. I don't usually do that, because there isn't always enough information in a prequel to let me get to know the characters and feel for them. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I connected with Kaylee immediately.

Kaylee and her family think she is crazy. She gets these "panic attacks" for seemingly no reason. But there is something fishy going on. If she is able to get away from the area, she can usually calm back down. But one day she can't get away...more
April
I’m not sure when this Novella came out. I think it might have came out after the first book in this series, My Soul to Take. I probably could have read it in that order, but since it says 0.5 I read it first. I’m kinda glad I did!

It’s basically a telling of the hospital incident that’s brought up a few times in MSTT. It’s mentioned, but never really explained.. so I felt like I was part of the loop when reading book one.. “ Oh yeah, I remember when that happened. “

Which is probably part of the...more
Jacquelyn
This little short prequel has got me so excited to start the first book! It was so interesting, eerie, and creepy yet so wonderful and intriguing.

I can't wait to dive further into this series! I have a feeling it is going to be awesome!
Trisha
I thought this was a good and intriguing intro to the series, and it certainly ended on a mysterious note that made me want to read on. I had just read a Rachel Hawkins book before this, so was used to laughing out loud at almost every paragraph, but the humour in this author's work is good too. Maybe just not as apparent.

Anyway, I'm now onto book #1 of the series, so I better leave this here. I will say that I'm actually reading "volume 1", which includes this prequel and also books 1&2, bu...more
Isabel Pedreira
Cuando me compré este libro, lo hice porque algún sexto sentido me dijo que iba a ser diferente a todo lo que había leído hasta el momento. Y, en efecto, lo es.
My Soul To Lose narra cómo Kaylee Cavanaugh acaba encerrada en un centro psiquiátrico, tras sufrir un ataque de pánico en medio del centro comercial, que casi le lleva a abrirse la garganta con las uñas.
Se cuenta cómo fueron las cosas allí para Kaylee y se nos habla de la gente a la que conoce (como cierta chica no muy dada a hablar).
Al p...more
The Free Book Cha...: My Soul to Lose, by Rachel Vincent 2 1 Oct 27, 2012 06:56AM
My Not-So-Secret ...: My Soul To Lose 1 1 Jun 17, 2012 10:26PM
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Stopping Time, Part 1 (Wicked Lovely, #2.5 Part I)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Before (Heven and Hell, #0.5)
  • First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)
  • Primitive
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • Bite Me (Demon Underground, #1)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Dangerous (Darkest Powers, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with...more
More about Rachel Vincent...
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) Stray (Shifters, #1) My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) Pride (Shifters, #3)

“Em didn't truly understand about my panic attacks - no one did. But she'd never pushed me to explain, never tried to ditch me when things got weird, and never once looked at me like I was a freak.” 42 likes
“Kaylee do you know why you are here?"
"Yeah. Because the doors are locked.”
30 likes