Start by marking “Taking Care of Business” as Want to Read:
Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business (Dynasties: The Elliotts #2)

From the moment she met Tag Elliott, Renee Williams thought of nothing but how his lips would feel on hers. That and darkened bedrooms and whispered promises. But as a member of Manhattan's wealthiest family, Tag was way out of the social worker's league. Besides, no matter how much she craved him, there was one small matter: She was black and Tag was white.

Renee allowed t
Published February 1st 2006 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Taking Care of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Care of Business

Michele
May 30, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Brenda Jackson in a while and "Taking Care of Business" was a good reintroduction to her work. This is part of a series, and I admit that I didn't read the first book. This is part of "The Elliotts" series that includes several books by different authors.

In "Taking Care of Business," we meet Teagan "Tag" Elliott, magazine publisher, rich, handsome, debonair, and Renee Williams. Renee is the hospital social worker hired to manage Tag's mother Karen's care during her breast cancer t
Faith
Aug 28, 2012 Faith rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
A pretty predictable and meh romance. Considering when this novel was written, the heroine's handwringing over being in an interracial relationship was just implausible to me. I felt like I was reading about an interracial relationship from the 1970s or 1980s as opposed to an IR relationship from the mid 2000s. The romance itself was also predictable and formulaic. I finished it quickly and it held my attention, so I gave it two stars.
Makii
Oct 17, 2014 Makii rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tag la miró muy serio." —Y yo te he dicho ya que me da igual lo que piense mi familia, que no necesito su aprobación; no te escudes en eso —le espetó antes de soltar su mano y ponerse de pie —. No sé qué más decirte, Renee. Lo único que te pido es que no te rindas, que nos mantengamos unidos. Y si alguien intenta decirnos que hay alguna razón por la que no podamos estar juntos, entonces lo miraremos a los ojos y le diremos que se vaya al infierno.
—Tag, no creo que…
—Pongamos nuestro amor a prue
PT
May 16, 2009 PT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynetta
COLOR CODED

Interracial dating has its own battles yet to be overcome. Taking care of business is an introduction to the these battles but does not offer a thorough view into understanding personality formation and environmental influences on the choices individuals make. The premise is good but authenticity that stems from real life experiences is lacking.
Nicole
Feb 02, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A nice, not too heavy, not too light look at a romantic relationship between a rich white man and a middle-class black woman in present-day New York City. I appreciated that not everybody in his family was all "this is awesome!", and that the flack they did encounter didn't come primarily from other black people, as I often see in these books.
Sara
Dec 08, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amé la historia de Tag y Reneé!!! muy tiernis!!
Connie
Apr 25, 2013 Connie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was ok. I was hoping to get more out of Ms. Jackson's writing than what I have on the past. It could have been a fabulous story, but it was SO predictable that it was boring. Yes I want to be with you but we can't because of our skin differences yada, yada, yada. I got a great feel about Renee's character, but Tag was a little flat. We understood that Renee was warm and caring, but I didn't get that like him or hate him vibe from the story. I just wish that Ms. Jackson would offer the r ...more
Shawnette
Suprisingly Disappointing

I love Brenda Jackson, unfortunately this romance novel didn't do it for me. Not the best romance I've read, but it was okay. The characters were not very memorable. The story just didn't grab me. The romance and intimacy lacked it's usual spicy, heat that Mrs. Jackson usually gives us. It just didn't have enough depth to pull you and get you caught up in the main characters. But it was a cute idea, that just fell short between the pages.
Iris
Sep 10, 2012 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this couple and I loved this book. I liked the fact that there was a build up to Renee and Tag's relationship. And yes I can understand Renee reluctance to be in a mixed relationship. Yes it is 2012 but it don't stop fools staring at you, Its only in time that you realise that these people mean nothing in your life. In the end Renee realised that you have to live your life and make yourself happy, would love to read more about this great couple.
Merve Özcan
Apr 05, 2013 Merve Özcan rated it it was ok
I didnt like this book very much. she is black and a working girl he is white and rich. She did care too much about gossip, what will they tell about them that she almost let her love go.
By the way, Gallon made me crazy again, he is the one who let his unsecurities ruin his love and now he gives love advice to his brother. Like he knows much about relationships. Good god. Just wanna kill him.

Aldy
Mar 18, 2012 Aldy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Medio decepcionante, tenía sus breves momentos buenos pero en general fue bastante "estático" el libro. La protagonista resulta detestable, vive negando querer estar con él porque presupone que lo suyo no puede ser ya que ambos son de distinta clase social y color de piel.
Él es demasiaado bueno, le falta esa pizca de incorregible que me suele atraer en los protagonistas masculinos.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Such a sweet story. I wa a bit shocked with the blatant comment made by one person, but other than that she was pretty spot on when it comes to the stares and whispers of interracial couples.

Just wait till they have children. Oy! I could tell YOU stories!

Good, fast, sexy read. I want to read more about this great couple!
Didichan
Loved this book... loved the authors writing but really the issue of race in the story took to much importance.. i mean every other sentence and there it was again .... it turned me off ... were it not for the issue of race i liked the book and it could have being a great read.
Felice Foster
Such a wonderful book. This story proves that love does conquer all.
Donisha
Another romance read. I liked it just not enough to read the series.
Angela
Jan 26, 2013 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read.
brendiare jackson
brendiare jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Maria Clara
Maria Clara marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2016
Dileena Jaggernauth
Dileena Jaggernauth marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Carisa
Carisa marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
ChristineN
ChristineN rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Ms Erica
Ms Erica marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Domonique
Domonique marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Terri Adele
Terri Adele marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Brittany Davis
Brittany Davis rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
QueMstr
QueMstr marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Latessa
Latessa marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
  • The Color of Love
  • Harrier's Healer (The Megalodon Team, #2)
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • Crush
  • Something Real
  • No Commitment Required
  • Choices
  • Romancing the M.D. (Hopewell General)
  • Unfinished Business
  • Living Large
  • Reye's Gold
  • Someone to Love Me
  • J-Pop Love Song
In 1994, Brenda Jackson’s first novel, Tonight and Forever, was released. Since then she has had more than 100 novels and novellas published (the first African-American author to accomplish such a feat) and has over 3 million books in print.

A native of Jacksonville, Florida, Brenda is the first African-American author to have a book published by Harlequin Desire and the first African-American rom
More about Brenda Jackson...

Dynasties: The Elliotts (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Billionaire's Proposition (Dynasties: The Elliotts #1)
  • Cause For Scandal (Dynasties: The Elliotts #3)
  • The Forbidden Twin (Dynasties: The Elliotts #4)
  • Mr. and Mistress (Dynasties: The Elliotts #5)
  • Heiress Beware (Dynasties: The Elliotts #6)
  • Under Deepest Cover (Dynasties: The Elliotts #7)
  • Marriage Terms (Dynasties: The Elliotts #8)
  • The Intern Affair (Dynasties: The Elliotts #9)
  • Forbidden Merger (Dynasties: The Elliotts #10)
  • The Expectant Executive (Dynasties: The Elliotts #11)

“Nothing - not prestige, power or pride - is worth sacrificing the things that you truly want, the things that you truly love. "Don't be afraid to take time and smell the roses. Don't hesitate in seeking out those things you hold dear. Seeking them out and holding on to them. And don't ever cease standing up for what you believe in, and fighting for those things that you want. Life is too short. Do what makes you happy, regardless of how others might feel.” 14 likes