Start by marking “Taking Care of Business” as Want to Read:
Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business (Dynasties: The Elliotts #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From the moment she met Tag Elliott, Renee Williams thought of nothing but how his lips would feel on hers. That and darkened bedrooms and whispered promises. But as a member of Manhattan's wealthiest family, Tag was way out of the social worker's league. Besides, no matter how much she craved him, there was one small matter: She was black and Tag was white.

Renee allowed t
Published February 1st 2006 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Taking Care of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Care of Business

Angela
The first mixed race romance I've ever read, and I had expected it to be less than appealing as I anticipated not being able to identify with the heroine. I was pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong. A sympathetic story, a likeable pair of star characters, and although the dialogue occasionally was uninspired, their scenes were sensuously and enjoyably described.
Some of the minor characters' thought processes seemed slightly superficial, whereas this is not necessarily the case for bigots, so
Faith
A pretty predictable and meh romance. Considering when this novel was written, the heroine's handwringing over being in an interracial relationship was just implausible to me. I felt like I was reading about an interracial relationship from the 1970s or 1980s as opposed to an IR relationship from the mid 2000s. The romance itself was also predictable and formulaic. I finished it quickly and it held my attention, so I gave it two stars.
Makii
Tag la miró muy serio." —Y yo te he dicho ya que me da igual lo que piense mi familia, que no necesito su aprobación; no te escudes en eso —le espetó antes de soltar su mano y ponerse de pie —. No sé qué más decirte, Renee. Lo único que te pido es que no te rindas, que nos mantengamos unidos. Y si alguien intenta decirnos que hay alguna razón por la que no podamos estar juntos, entonces lo miraremos a los ojos y le diremos que se vaya al infierno.
—Tag, no creo que…
—Pongamos nuestro amor a prue
PT
Lynetta
COLOR CODED

Interracial dating has its own battles yet to be overcome. Taking care of business is an introduction to the these battles but does not offer a thorough view into understanding personality formation and environmental influences on the choices individuals make. The premise is good but authenticity that stems from real life experiences is lacking.
Connie
The book was ok. I was hoping to get more out of Ms. Jackson's writing than what I have on the past. It could have been a fabulous story, but it was SO predictable that it was boring. Yes I want to be with you but we can't because of our skin differences yada, yada, yada. I got a great feel about Renee's character, but Tag was a little flat. We understood that Renee was warm and caring, but I didn't get that like him or hate him vibe from the story. I just wish that Ms. Jackson would offer the r ...more
Shawnette
Suprisingly Disappointing

I love Brenda Jackson, unfortunately this romance novel didn't do it for me. Not the best romance I've read, but it was okay. The characters were not very memorable. The story just didn't grab me. The romance and intimacy lacked it's usual spicy, heat that Mrs. Jackson usually gives us. It just didn't have enough depth to pull you and get you caught up in the main characters. But it was a cute idea, that just fell short between the pages.
Iris
I love this couple and I loved this book. I liked the fact that there was a build up to Renee and Tag's relationship. And yes I can understand Renee reluctance to be in a mixed relationship. Yes it is 2012 but it don't stop fools staring at you, Its only in time that you realise that these people mean nothing in your life. In the end Renee realised that you have to live your life and make yourself happy, would love to read more about this great couple.
Merve  Özcan
I didnt like this book very much. she is black and a working girl he is white and rich. She did care too much about gossip, what will they tell about them that she almost let her love go.
By the way, Gallon made me crazy again, he is the one who let his unsecurities ruin his love and now he gives love advice to his brother. Like he knows much about relationships. Good god. Just wanna kill him.

Aldy
Medio decepcionante, tenía sus breves momentos buenos pero en general fue bastante "estático" el libro. La protagonista resulta detestable, vive negando querer estar con él porque presupone que lo suyo no puede ser ya que ambos son de distinta clase social y color de piel.
Él es demasiaado bueno, le falta esa pizca de incorregible que me suele atraer en los protagonistas masculinos.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Such a sweet story. I wa a bit shocked with the blatant comment made by one person, but other than that she was pretty spot on when it comes to the stares and whispers of interracial couples.

Just wait till they have children. Oy! I could tell YOU stories!

Good, fast, sexy read. I want to read more about this great couple!
Didichan
Loved this book... loved the authors writing but really the issue of race in the story took to much importance.. i mean every other sentence and there it was again .... it turned me off ... were it not for the issue of race i liked the book and it could have being a great read.
Donisha
Another romance read. I liked it just not enough to read the series.
Lecia
Lecia marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Janine
Janine added it
Dec 16, 2014
Pamela Mccord
Pamela Mccord marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Myeeshia Carter
Myeeshia Carter marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Shurhonda Dorrough
Shurhonda Dorrough marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
  • Living Large
  • The Color of Love
  • No Commitment Required
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • Can't Get Enough Of Your Love
  • Romancing the M.D. (Hopewell General)
  • Choices
  • You and No Other (Graysons of New Mexico, #2)
  • Harrier's Healer (The Megalodon Team, #2)
  • Beyond The Boardroom : The Elliotts
  • Crush
  • She's My Baby

Brenda Jackson was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. She got married to Gerald, her high school sweetheart, in 1972 after graduating from high school. She went on to earn a degree in business administration from Jacksonville University, and to expand their family by having two sons, Gerald Jr. and Brando
More about Brenda Jackson...
Irresistible Forces (Steele Series #5) Delaney's Desert Sheikh (The Westmorelands #1) Thorn's Challenge (The Westmoreland Series) A Little Dare (The Westmoreland Series) Riding The Storm (The Westmoreland Series)

“Nothing - not prestige, power or pride - is worth sacrificing the things that you truly want, the things that you truly love. "Don't be afraid to take time and smell the roses. Don't hesitate in seeking out those things you hold dear. Seeking them out and holding on to them. And don't ever cease standing up for what you believe in, and fighting for those things that you want. Life is too short. Do what makes you happy, regardless of how others might feel.” 12 likes