Start by marking “Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dark Mission: The Secr...
Richard C. Hoagland

Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA

For most, 'NASA' suggests an image of technological infallibility. Yet the truth is that NASA was born in a lie & has concealed the truths about its occult origins. Dark Mission documents this seemingly wild assertion. Why was the Bush administration intent on returning to the moon as quickly as possible? What are the reasons for the current space race with China, Russ ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Mission

Richard C. Hoagland is a real piece of work. The guy believes that the "Face on Mars" is a sculpture (despite all evidence to the contrary) and that it's surrounded by a ruined Martian city. He believes there are the remains of crystaline ruins on the Moon, and the reason the astronauts don't remember seeing them is that they've been brainwashed. Furthermore, the Real Truth about ancient alien civilizations is being suppressed by NASA, which is under the control of some kind of mystery cult. Mas ...more
Aug 30, 2016 Owlseyes marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ufoseeker
Shelves: astronomy

Last Friday (19th of June) I had read that Russia wanted an "international investigation" on the "obscure moon landings" of the period 1969-1972.

After watching the documentary ("Moon Rising") by Jose Escamilla, you'll certainly be in the position of wanting to know more and quite suspicious on the pictorial narrative you've been fed so far.

In the words of Mike Bara, who was prompted by the research of Richard Hoagland, you'll start wondering about a "secret space program", a populated moon
Feb 19, 2013 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to dismiss the authors' claims of artifacts of intelligent design on the moon and Mars as well as the existence of three "secret society" factions embedded in NASA in its earlier years when the information is just blatantly presented. I've read Hoagland's earlier work, The Monuments of Mars, and I must admit that his research tactics and reasoning have remained consistent in the twenty or so years since that book was published. Do I believe everything that the authors claim in this new ...more
Les Gehman
Nov 13, 2010 Les Gehman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
O.K. I bought this book from because the description sounded interesting. (BTW, rocks, it's not their fault that this book is a crock of shit.) I didn't notice who the author was. Richard Hoagland is a fucking quack. It's a decade after the "face" on Mars has been thoroughly de-bunked and he's still trying to sell this shit. He's a fucking idiot. I'll still probably read this book just to see how whacked out it is. But I'm sure there's no astronomy or astrophysi ...more
Feb 25, 2009 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a complete sucker for this kind of book and when I saw it at the Liberty Science Center, I just had to buy it.

But after reading, I'm a bit disappointed. To really do this kind of book right, you have to go the full crazy. And Hoagland and Bara only go about 60% crazy. I'm in no position to judge the scientific aspects of their thesis - alternate modes of physics really aren't my bag, nor are photographic enhancement techniques. As for the political aspects (essentially that if NASA found evi
May 11, 2008 Frank rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hoagland is a menace. His credentials are over-exaggerated and his NASA theories are harmful to the actual good that the organization produces. No government agency is without sin, but this isn't the book to go looking for factual dark secrets.

Hoagland sets himself up as a purveyor of scientific theories but he is not a scientist and thus is free from third-party verification and peer reviews. He uses distorted satellite imagery to back up his creepy claims.

Domes on the moon. The face on Mars.
Jun 09, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't know what to say about this book's truth-quotient. I DO know that NASA and other listed agencies ARE connected to secret societies, this has been independently verified by other sources. NASA is more interested in keeping things hidden, why else did Matlin peter out the Mars pictures, and why go to such links to make the "litter box" version of the Face on Mars if it isn't anything let the unalterated picture speak to itself and why show Mars as redder than it REALLY is? These r ...more
Mar 26, 2011 Elsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I saw a picture of the "Face on Mars", if I remember correctly was sometime in 1997, when I was at the bookshop browsing through Graham Hancock's new release "The Mars Mystery". Must say, at the time,the topic didn't catch my interest, and I didn't feel the need to read the book. Nevertheless, that picture of the "Face" was interesting...

Then, sometime in 2004, when I was reading "The Lost Book of Enki" by Zecharia Sitchin, which through exhaustive research of primary sources, an
Jun 29, 2008 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
OK, so I like to occasionally read on the fringe conspiracy theory books, so shoot me. I may not even buy into the ideas but it does make for an interesting read now and then.
Richard C. Hoaglands latest book Dark Mission deals with NASAs hidden agenda in the space program and what they choose to to tell or not tell the public about the moon and Mars.
Honestly, some of the pictures Hoagland claims as proof of "ruins" on the moon just look like pixelated fuzz to me, however, at the very least th
B. Wilson
Jan 23, 2016 B. Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nasa, occult, space
O.K.. There are conspiracy theories and then there are conspiracy theories, but this one could be the mother of all conspiracy theories. The publisher lists the book as "non-fiction" ...I don't know, I'm really struggling here. There seems to be such a mix of truth and fiction in the book that it's hard to tell where one begins and another leaves off. I love grail mythology and "Dark Mission" sort of fits into the genre, but this is a mythology that seems to absorb every other popular conspiracy ...more
B. Reese
Jun 18, 2015 B. Reese rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Hoagland puts forth many very interesting ideas and theories in this book. Unfortunately, his proof does not stray far from either of those and a pinch of circumstantial evidence or conspiracy theory.

I enjoyed reading the book, and it did convince me, briefly, that NASA had covered up the habitability of Mars and alien presence in the solar system. Unfortunately, I later found out that Hoadgland used pseudoscience to bolster his claim.

The ideas in this book would have made an epic sci-fi story
Oct 05, 2009 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Ann
rarely do I not finish a book no matter how slow it is. This is the rare choice, I will be sending it back to the library about half done and no interest in getting it again. This is a leave on the shelf for me. Pages of convoluted sentences and I am not sure I get the point. Not one for me.
Aug 04, 2008 Dante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of revelations concerning the real men, reasons and objectives behind NASA. Did you know the first flag on the moon was NOT the US stars and stripes, but a Freemasons ritual flag? True.
Feb 23, 2016 Roger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who grew up in the shadow of the space program in Cape Canaveral, this book was bittersweet. I'm glad to live in a country that still allows writers to express divergent opinions (like those in this book), but I'm disappointed that, after reading this book, it's hard to see the American space program in the same light.

Although I do not agree with all of the authors' conclusions, I can agree with their primary claim that NASA is not always forthcoming with the truth and that it fails
Guy McElwaine
This entire book is a paranoid fantasy, expressing nothing other than the authors' bizarre hatred of NASA and utter ignorance of science. Neither of them has any training in science, and neither of them has ever conducted a scientific experiment in his life. On page 224 Richard Hoagland describes himself as a scientist, but this is, in common with most of its context, arrogant nonsense. If you, too, are a NASA-hater, you'll probably enjoy this book and you probably won't care that it is factuall ...more
Adam Stallman
A very thought provoking read. Toward the end of this book I started losing interest because I saw in the news that the author had been discredited on some other works. A lot of the subjects are pretty unbelievable but he does a very good job at being convincing. I went ahead and gave it three starts because it was entertaining but I did not feel comfortable rating it higher because I'm not sure whether this is really a non-fiction or fiction book.
Vin Forte
Oct 13, 2015 Vin Forte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of Hoagland's claims are very out there, but the bulk of this book is a surprisingly grounded and intriguing read. I feel like many of us already assume some covering up of *something* by NASA and this book is a great introduction to those avenues. Whether you want to see a lot of it as speculative fiction, pure fact, or something in-between; this is an entertaining ride none the less meant to make you ask questions and be more active in demanding transparency.
Mar 20, 2012 T rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the guy has some points and I emphasize "some". I would give it 2 stars for the effort put in the research, though it appears clearer and clearer towards the end of the book that such research is biased, and one star for entertainment. I think he'd have been better to write a fiction novel. The truth is that no one has evidence enough to suggest that there are extraterrestrial biologic entities though I am sure there is life out there (assuming that there are at least 10,000 earth like p ...more
Dec 04, 2013 Anthony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy, ufos
I read this as a favor to a friend who gave me the book. Frankly, I found it ridiculous. The artifacts on Mars and the moon I find rather unbelievable,but it's the part where he tries to tie in the Kennedy assassination where he really lost me. He doesn't even attempt to explain why Oswald would be involved in a conspiracy involving alien ruins on the moon, which might have at least upped the entertainment factor. Instead there was an overabundance of shifty math and pseudoscience. The book was ...more
Michael Roop
May 15, 2011 Michael Roop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is something special. In that wow kind of way or the kid on the short bus drooling on the window. Some of the theories in this book are far fetched. FAR FETCHED. I'll give it to Hoagland though, he was able to make a good supportive case for them. Other of the theories and actual for real history's in this book were amazing. The public and government communication channels the shuttle has and it's reason. The what can only be called alien contact cover ups...really, really savage. This ...more
Tom Kenis
If anything this book is an ode to the human brain's impressive ability to impose structure where there is only static and chaos. We are somehow very adept at pointing out amazing coincidences even if these are thrown up by a near infinity of random occurrences. It's literally how living beings survive. As for the book's central thesis; Nasa's cover-up of alien artifacts on the Moon and Mars and its connection to the Egyptian pantheon.... Mmm, I dunno.
Then again, it's not a question of whether
It's a report on the discrepancies in NASA's public posture and the possible cover-up of Moon and Mars information that needs to be investigated. I learned that I find conspiracy books much more interesting than fiction. Fiction creates situations and characters to tell a story. Non-fiction tells true stories. Conspiracy fiction tells a story and offers it as truth by connection to selected real facts.
Mar 11, 2009 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gain knowledge
Some of this book is hard to believe. Some of it makes perfect sense. It includes everything from the nazis, to the assasination of JFK. It shows the flawed ideals that people have become comfortable with. Dark Mission touches the very dark side of corruption in NASA. I have Finished the book and I feel more educated on conspiracies than ever before...
Nov 30, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this book has some good information and is well worth reading. I found it very technical in some aspects and took my time reading and re-reading sections to make sure I understood what the author was conveying to me. I only have a plain kindle and the photos - especially color ones were difficult to decipher.
Mike Smith
Mar 14, 2016 Mike Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy
A very unorthodox look at the history of NASA. Some of the theories presented are well thought out while others are way out there. Very tough to read on the Kindle because the images are placed at the end of the chapter instead of being placed in the text. I would recommend the paper version over a digital one.
Barbara Moroch
I love a good conspiracy theory. However, this book has way too many words -- way too many technical abstracts. I know that Hoagland is dismissed by the scientific community as being a crack-pot, but I do believe there are some elements -- some -- of his claims, that are valid and worth exploring further.
Dec 06, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UFO buffs
Very intresting but extremely deep in scientific, arcological/engineering and mathmatical theories. The theories are needed to justify or predict the existence of alien artifacts left behind on the moon and mars that NASA has withheld from the public since entering space.
Jan 04, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Some parts are a bit technical but overall a very good read. Very interesting. Talks about how Nasa was formed and the things that have been kept secret from us. Includes info about the JFK assassination and the masonic relationship in Nasa.
Mar 27, 2008 Dash marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dash by: Dear old dad (a gift from him!)
  • Gods of Eden
  • The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America
  • Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
  • Lost Knowledge of the Ancients: A Graham Hancock Reader
  • There Were Giants Upon the Earth: Gods, Demigods & Human Ancestry: The Evidence of Alien DNA (Earth Chronicles)
  • The Philosopher’s Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--and Why GI's Are Only the First Victims
  • A.D. After Disclosure: The People's Guide to Life After Contact
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy: And How to End It
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • Hidden Truth, Forbidden Knowledge
  • Dreamland: Travels Inside the Secret World of Roswell and Area 51
American author, and a proponent of various theories about NASA, lost alien civilizations on the Moon and on Mars and other related topics.

His writings claim that advanced civilizations exist or once existed on the Moon, Mars and on some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and that NASA and the United States government have conspired to keep these facts secret.

One of his most known theories is the
More about Richard C. Hoagland...