Start by marking “The Four Witnesses: The Rebel, the Rabbi, the Chronicler, and the Mystic” as Want to Read:
The Four Witnesses: The Rebel, the Rabbi, the Chronicler, and the Mystic

The Four Witnesses: The Rebel, the Rabbi, the Chronicler, and the Mystic

"Who Do You Say I Am?"
Four Witnesses Offer Strikingly Different Testimony to the Life and Death of JesusBringing the stories of Jesus to life for the contemporary reader, Robin Griffith-Jones revives the origional power and intent of each of the four gospels. He presents a lively discussion of how and why each gospel was written, considering the substance and style of the
Published April 3rd 2001 by HarperOne (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Witnesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Witnesses

Carol
Oct 23, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book when I first got it some years ago, and after reading more recent reviews, I wish to read it again. It definitely got into great detail concerning the four gospels, their authors, and the possible motives in writing them the way they did. I am looking forward to reading this yet again, with fresh eyes.
Justin Nichols
3.5-- Superb content as far as interpretation and information. Stylistically it was a bit strained and dense for my full liking. But I surely applaud Griffith-Jones for tackling this large of task and presenting ideas, vast themes, and detailed literary structures with tasteful, notable humility despite being obviously brilliant.
David
Dec 31, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book on airline flights over the last couple of years, and finally finished it. It is a very good book, which covers the gospel stories from the view of each of the authors, and their own points of view. It also brings everything to a good conclusion about who do you say that I am.
Carl Williams

Griffin-Jones, explored the four gospels from the point of view of their intended audience. It's wonderful, and sometimes a bit disconcerting how such similar words can lead to such different visions--of a mystic, a teacher, a rebel and a story teller. Essential traditional points of view, but well worth the read.
Rhett
Feb 07, 2012 Rhett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I got through the first section. My biggest problem was that there are no cited resources other than the Bible. All of the historical information sounded interesting, but I can't be sure of it's authenticity.
MikeFromQueens
Jun 14, 2010 MikeFromQueens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I now have insight into each of the authors of the gospels. This book taught me the perspectives of the their sources, and the rationale behind why they are the definitive word on the life and times of Jesus.
Tim Weakley
Worst book of the year so far. I was looking forward to reading a book about the authors of the four gospels, their times and places. What this very quickly became was a book of theology and opinion. I wanted history and got hearsay.

The author should be forced to rewrite his jacket notes.

Karina
Feb 21, 2010 Karina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unsorted
Oh, okay, I confused this book with another of a similar title. I only read a little bit of it, and it was kinda interesting, but I need to find some time.
Cayenne
Jan 17, 2015 Cayenne marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
This was over my head. I am really interested in knowing more about the authors of the four gospels, the settings and audiences they were intended for, but the language in this book was verbous and inaccessible to a newer scholar.
Greg Miller
Tought to get through but interesting. Good perspective on where the four gospels came from, and what their authors were trying to accomplish.
Ron
Jul 08, 2007 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this read. Clearly articulated the perspectives of each of the authors of the Gospel.
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2010
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Dino
Dino rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kelly Mccullen
Kelly Mccullen rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2011
Julbs
Julbs rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Katherine Blankenship
Katherine Blankenship rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Lynn Gaines
Lynn Gaines rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Scott Hoffman
Scott Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Rick Ludwig
Rick Ludwig rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2011
James
James rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Dawn Araujo-Hawkins
Dawn Araujo-Hawkins rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Char
Char rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Damion
Damion rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2007
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Jasonblodgett
Jasonblodgett rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2009