Rowan of the Wood (Rowan of the Wood #1)
read ebook* *Different edition

Rowan of the Wood (Rowan of the Wood #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  40 reviews
"Rowan of the Wood, Winner of the Indie Excellence Award for Young Adult Fiction, tells the story of a young boy Cullen who meanders through the redwood forest every day on his way to school, losing himself in books and fantasy worlds full of elves, fairies, and wizards. He loves to escape to these magical lands because reality for him is not fun at all. Cullen and his two...more
Published April 22nd 2009 by Blue Moose Press (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rowan of the Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowan of the Wood

The Steward by Christopher  ShieldsThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeAngelfall by Susan EeFables of the Reconstruction by Hunter S. JonesIn My Dreams by Cameo Renae
Best Unknown but must be Known books
367th out of 4,434 books — 3,856 voters
Culloo by Murielle CyrNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillCatori's Worlds by Murielle CyrPhantom Bigfoot & The Vampettes From Venus by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot Strikes Again by Simon Okill
Trees, Woods, Forests
127th out of 201 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I really enjoyed reading ROWAN OF THE WOOD. It is the first in a series and I can't wait for the next one to come out.

It starts with two Celtic wizards, Rowan and Fiana, on their wedding day. They have been waiting for this day for many years. Once they are married their power will double. Just as they have been declared married, a band of Christian invaders attacks the ceremony. Fiana manages to escape to the otherworld but Rowan, through magic, s...more
Lindsey
Oct 14, 2009 Lindsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult fiction/fantasy readers, young adults, Harry Potter fans, Twilight fans
Recommended to Lindsey by: Christine Rose
This book is categorized as young adult, but I think it is just as, if not more, enjoyable for adults.
One of the most interesting things about the book is that it travels back and forth in time and through time.
I really enjoyed some of the commentary on religion and good/evil too.
Yes, some of the concept is a lot like Harry Potter's situation, but the story soon branches off into its own unique story line.
I feel as though I could be leaving a much better and more informative review on this bo...more
Jess (The Cozy Reader) Kennedy
See my blog for this review in full detail (links/images)

Plot: 4
Setting: 4
Writing: 3
Originality: 5
Characters: 4
Passion: 5
Overall: 25/30 83% B
Cover/Title Bonus: 4

I received this book in PDF format from the author to read and review.
Summary (Website)

Release the magic.

Cullen meanders through the redwood forest each day on his way to school with a book in his hands, losing himself in fantastic worlds of elves, fairies, and wizards. He loves escaping to these...more
Justin Osborne
Admittedly, I'm not much of a reader, and it takes a special story to garner my attention to actually sit down and read, Rowan of the Wood is one of those special stories. Engaging from page one, it grabbed my attention immediately and I breezed straight through it, not wanting to put it down. It's the story of a young boy, Cullen who is so rightfully dissatisfied with his own reality, he dives into fantasy books to escape, but quickly discovers that his fantasy has become his new reality. He fi...more
Toni Hayward
Very good for a first book. The story is very good and yes somewhat borrows from Harry Potter, in that a young boy gets involved with magic, (but not in a way you'd expect) & helps avert a crisis. The story contrasts Pagans & Christians in a very balanced way. At first you may think it is only "pro-Pagan", but as you read the authors really balance things thoughtfully & with great insight.

I did find a few places where the editing could have been tighter, you jump from being in one...more
Bitten_by_Books
Cullen Knight has not had an easy life. After losing his father and sister in a tragic accident, Cullen’s mother is mentally unable to care for him, so Cullen is sent to live with the Samuels. While outwardly the Samuels may seem to be a suitable foster family for the young boy, in reality they treat Cullen like a servant and are only interested in getting their hands on the inheritance that he is to come into at graduation...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fan...more
Catherine
I was sucked into Cullen, Rowan, and Fiana's varying worlds and couldn't stop reading until they all collided! This is an exciting novel by debut authors Christine & Ethan Rose...they've created characters that are strikingly vivid and a plot that draws the reader into a world much like our own, yet not our own. I can actually see Cullen walking through the majestic Redwood forest...Rowan and Fiana hand-in-hand among the standing stones in Caledonia...the many amusing cats scattered about Ra...more
Julie S.
This book was selected by my creatures book club this month. I found this book boring, and especially did not like how it took a long time to go over what happened in the past but rushed the ending. I also didn't care for the characters. Well, maybe I liked April and Maddy a bit, but they were not the main characters. There were also many errors that shows this book did not go through a good editing process. I can't stand seeing multiple errors in books I had to pay for. I was just underwhelmed,...more
JoAnne Kenrick
Aug 31, 2009 JoAnne Kenrick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JoAnne by: My son, and all the amazing reviews from facebook/twitter friend
I totally enjoyed the tale of Rowan and his lost love. I adored Cullen, and his family reminded me of Roald Dahl's Matilda. It was wonderfully written -- I can see why my son favors it over Harry Potter. Mind you, he is a bit of a Druid at heart!

I'm so happy I waited until now to read it, because I won't have long to wait for the sequel :O)
Crystal
Very good book! I thought it was more directed towards junior high/ high school with some of the story line. It may be a bit to scary or intense for a young child. I can't wait for the books to follow assuming there will be some! Defiantly a good book if you like mystical books! Plus it was an easy and fast read!
Clint
I was browsing through freebooks and I came across this one. The cover looks a bit lame, but the book is pretty good. It's a quick easy read, so if you're looking for something fun, you might want to check it out.
Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)
A fun, light read.

Great book for kids ages 13+

An interesting blend of druidic legends, vampirism, and modern times. Plus, the protagonist was easy to love and relate with.

I’d recommend it. :)
Gabrielle
An excellent young adult book which I would highly recommend for anyone, young or old...
Codi
Jul 29, 2008 Codi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Codi by: work
I think this is a great book! Watch out Harry Potter! I can't wait for the next one.
Karen Field
Rowan of the Wood is an enjoyable story about a young boy dealing with life as a foster child. He escapes his unloved life by reading fantasy stories, but one day he finds himself in a situation that is confusing and dangerous when all the elements of one of his stories finds him in real life.

Meanwhile, a second story is unfolding. A story of legends, myths, witches and vampires. We move through the centuries with another character, a woman who is desperate to find her lost love and will do anyt...more
Adrienne Crezo
For my second #writeconnect post, I read Rowan of the Wood, a YA Fantasy by Christine and Ethan Rose. Young Adult is totally out of the normal scope of reading for me, and even as a kid I was reaching for the bigger “grown-up” books on the shelves. However, I do love a good story, especially one that emphasizes the importance of discovery, good self-esteem, and the love of books, and Rowan just so happens to fit the bill.

Kindle edition only $0.99!
I try to approach each book I read without expect...more
Robert Collins
The story starts off with Cullen, a put-upon 12-year-old who's an avid fantasy reader living in present-day northern California. Things shift to post-Roman Britain and Rowan, a druid who escapes an attack by raiders by disappearing into a wooden wand. Also along is Rowan's bride-to-be Fiana, two girls who are Cullen's only friends, and a teacher he has a crush on.

The plot takes off when Cullen finds the wand and begins to communicate with Rowan. At times Rowan even takes over Cullen's body. Rowa...more
M. B.
Evelyn Ink
Read on, no plot spoilers here. . . Three UP for originality, great characters, and inventive use of myths & history.

1. This book is incredibly original, if not a bit odd at times. I found the plot to be intriguing, and enjoyed the mix of character point of views (changing up the POV is tricky, and this is one of the few books I’ve read that did it right!) moving past and present through history, the story is as beautifully woven as a celtic knot.

2. The main character is very likable, despit...more
Steph Su
Before Scotland, there was Caledonia. Rowan and Fiana are two powerful magicians whose impending love marriage will bring peace and happiness to their people. However, enemies interrupt the ceremony, forcing Rowan to hide inside his wand. Fiana swears to do anything to find Rowan…including using black magic.

Over a thousand years later, among the redwood forests of modern-day California, twelve-year-old foster child Cullen Knight stumbles across an odd-looking stick of wood. Life is harsh on Cull...more
Anne
I enjoyed the Rowan of the Wood series. Bought the books at the Boulder City Renaissance Faire in April. Found the characters engrossing and the story line interesting. Kept reading until all five were finished. Planning to send them to my nephews in order to share the wealth! Thought the villain unraveled a bit quickly at the end. Would enjoy a sequel to follow-up on the group a year later!
Fiona
I thought this was a well-written book. I found the beginning pages a bit difficult to get into, because (for me) it dragged a bit, and took a while to really plunge into the heart of the story, although there did need to be some set up of the situation. Once I got past that first part and into the modern world, I thought it picked up a lot and the twists were interesting. I enjoyed the tie-in with the teacher, and you can tell that the writers are passionate about Celtic history.

I guess because...more
Joan
I had high hopes for this book as I bought it for my 8 year old granddaughter. I decided to read it first as I loved the Harry Potter series. However, this book seems to borrow alot of ideas from the Harry Potter premise (victimized orphan) and also from the Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series (vampires). I found it to be better for kids 13 years or older. Some of the writing was well done but covering 1,000 years to bring the two main characters back together made it drag. After reading this book...more
Lara Dunning
I liked the historical aspect of this story and how it chronicled the characters over time, along with the myths and legends that have carried through the ages. The characters were well defined and their paths very clear. But, I was a little unsure about the sexual tone in the book with the adult characters when the central character is a 12 year old kid. Parts of the book seemed geared toward more of a young adult or adult audience.
Elaine
Great new young adult fantasy series with a 12 year old protagonist. Cullen doesn't fit in anywhere with friends or family. One day his life changes when he finds an ancient wand and unintentionally releases an ancient Celtic wizard who ends up sharing his body and involving Cullen in the battle between black magic and his own world.

Nicole Romine
This was a Kindle purchase I made only because it was cheap. Despite my motivation for purchasing "Rowan of the Wood," this was such a wonderful book. A great blending of celtic, vampire, and wiccan myths. Pretty much every character in this book was dynamic and likable. I've already bought the second book in the series.
Jan (the Gryphon)
The theology seems a little shaky, but the settings and action scenes are good. The characterizations are more consistent than is sometimes found in collaborations and the plot is reasonably fantastic. I'm thinking this book--and the series it presages--is well-designed and written for the sub-teen (8-12) crowd.
Eric D. Sanders
A very well thought out, well written book. Loved the overall relationships betwixt the characters, Cullen, Maddy, April, Ms. MacFey, Rowan, Fiana, etc. A lot happening in this magical thrill ride. Would have liked to seen another Chapter at the end to conclude the story a little better though.
Chella LaNiece
A unexpected delight!
Rowan of the Wood is a YA novel that appeals to a broad range of readers. The story weaves modern day with the ancient past in such a great way. I loved the way the authors did this. Just do yourself a favor and read this!
Whereis
This is a very charming book! It incorporates Celtic mythology wonderfully. It does borrow from Harry Potter often in the beginning, but becomes more original as you read through the book. Anyone who likes children's fantasy book will enjoy this.
  • Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • The Zarder
  • Tales of Aradia the Last Witch Volume 1
  • Legends of the Celts
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, #3)
  • Play Me
  • Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
  • Demon Gates (Nexus Wars Saga, #1)
  • Daughter of Ireland
  • Whill of Agora (Whill of Agora, #1)
  • Banner Of Souls
  • Chieftain (Border, #3)
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Celts: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Mark of a Druid
  • The Obsidian Dagger (Celtic Mythos, #1)
Award-winning author of the Rowan of the Wood YA fantasy series. Helps emerging authors feel successful by educating them about the publishing industry and marketing their book. Needs copious amounts of dark chocolate, frothy mochas, and loving attention.

She writes the Rowan of the Wood fantasy series with her husband Ethan, and she has written a nonfiction book titled Publishing and Marketing Rea...more
More about Christine Rose...
Witch on the Water (Rowan of the Wood, #2) Fire of the Fey (Rowan of the Wood, #3) Publishing & Marketing Realities for the Emerging Author Power of the Zephyr (Rowan of the Wood, #4) Spirit of the Otherworld (Rowan of the Wood, #5)