Start by marking “Delta Blues” as Want to Read:
Delta Blues

Delta Blues

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection of nineteen pieces of fiction about the blues, centered on the Delta region of the American South and its traditions, covering gothic themes of love, betrayal, heartbreak, and struggle.
Published October 20th 2009 by Bleak House Books (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Delta Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delta Blues

Steve
Inspired by the blues (well, DUH!), this collection stretches from comic to nightmarishly dark and most of the stops in between with very few weak spots. Most of them deal with crime in one way or another, and a few give established writers a chance to experiment, usually with satisfying results.

There are nineteen stories in the collection, so let me simply say that many of the stories work well, starting with what looks like familiar ground and making a sudden turn that brought me along with th
Jan
I loved this book. My son was a teacher for TFA in the Delta and lived in Clarksdale for a couple of years. He is now a Vice-Principal in Marks; so we have spent some time in the Delta visiting him. It is truly a unique culture and the blues music is awesome. The more we visit, the more I appreciate the people, their struggles and their history. These short story totally capture the flavor of the area and the authors are all very gifted. I wanted the book to continue on and on.
John
Being a blues lover I found this book very much to my liking. All of the stories are well written. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of this uniquely American music genre.
Alice
I'll admit that I have a short story in this book, which was my first published fiction. However, the other writers are awesome. This is a classic about blues and the Mississippi Delta.
Chance Lee
I always pick up the anthologies thinking I'll read something by someone new, but I just read the one or two authors I already know. Maybe when I move back to Mississippi, the blues theme will grab me more.

Charlaine Harris's story was about a blues man who sells his soul to the devil (by accident) on a moonlit night in a cornfield. Everything just seemed to happen *to* this poor guy, and I felt the story happened *to* me.

Toni Kelner's story was an interesting mystery about a lady searching for h
CartoonistAndre
Great stories that get you into that steamy Mississippi Delta mood, cooled off with some legendary Blues history throughout.
Sara
“In this land a unique American form of music was born, a rootstock strong enough to spawn many derivatives. The Mississippi Delta is ground zero of the blues, meaning it was here where it all began.”
---Morgan Freeman

Review to follow later.
Jan
I really enjoyed these short stories. You certainly don't need to be a blues fan but, for me, it made the stories that much better.
Gina
Did not like this book and did not even finish reading it ... sorry :(
Mindy
I enjoyed these stories but like most short stories - I wanted them to go on!
Marie
A GREAT collection of stories :)
Lynne Griffin
Lynne Griffin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Laureen
Laureen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Lilah Brown
Lilah Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
KH
KH added it
Jun 03, 2015
Pamela Rossell
Pamela Rossell marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Lori Scott
Lori Scott marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Elianne
Elianne marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Bellewitch66
Bellewitch66 marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Charmayne
Charmayne marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Elizabeth Downing
Elizabeth Downing marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Late Rain
  • Melting the Slopes
  • The Deputy
  • Dangerous Women
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Winter Wishes
  • Romancing the Holiday (Kent Brothers, #3; Holloway, #3)
  • The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • What Happens In Vegas...: Hot For You\Stripped\Red-Handed\The Deal
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)