Start by marking “Delta Blues” as Want to Read:
Delta Blues

Delta Blues

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection of nineteen pieces of fiction about the blues, centered on the Delta region of the American South and its traditions, covering gothic themes of love, betrayal, heartbreak, and struggle.
Published October 20th 2009 by Bleak House Books (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Delta Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delta Blues

Steve
Inspired by the blues (well, DUH!), this collection stretches from comic to nightmarishly dark and most of the stops in between with very few weak spots. Most of them deal with crime in one way or another, and a few give established writers a chance to experiment, usually with satisfying results.

There are nineteen stories in the collection, so let me simply say that many of the stories work well, starting with what looks like familiar ground and making a sudden turn that brought me along with th
Jan
I loved this book. My son was a teacher for TFA in the Delta and lived in Clarksdale for a couple of years. He is now a Vice-Principal in Marks; so we have spent some time in the Delta visiting him. It is truly a unique culture and the blues music is awesome. The more we visit, the more I appreciate the people, their struggles and their history. These short story totally capture the flavor of the area and the authors are all very gifted. I wanted the book to continue on and on.
John Price
Being a blues lover I found this book very much to my liking. All of the stories are well written. I recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of this uniquely American music genre.
Alice
I'll admit that I have a short story in this book, which was my first published fiction. However, the other writers are awesome. This is a classic about blues and the Mississippi Delta.
Chance Lee
I always pick up the anthologies thinking I'll read something by someone new, but I just read the one or two authors I already know. Maybe when I move back to Mississippi, the blues theme will grab me more.

Charlaine Harris's story was about a blues man who sells his soul to the devil (by accident) on a moonlit night in a cornfield. Everything just seemed to happen *to* this poor guy, and I felt the story happened *to* me.

Toni Kelner's story was an interesting mystery about a lady searching for h
CartoonistAndre
Great stories that get you into that steamy Mississippi Delta mood, cooled off with some legendary Blues history throughout.
Sara
“In this land a unique American form of music was born, a rootstock strong enough to spawn many derivatives. The Mississippi Delta is ground zero of the blues, meaning it was here where it all began.”
---Morgan Freeman

Review to follow later.
Jan
I really enjoyed these short stories. You certainly don't need to be a blues fan but, for me, it made the stories that much better.
Gina
Did not like this book and did not even finish reading it ... sorry :(
Mindy
I enjoyed these stories but like most short stories - I wanted them to go on!
Marie
A GREAT collection of stories :)
Matt Wallace
Matt Wallace marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Holly Albright
Holly Albright marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Miltos
Miltos marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Vermeka Searcey
Vermeka Searcey marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Warren Green
Warren Green marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Juliene Noerenberg
Juliene Noerenberg marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 15, 2015
Ronald Hergert
Ronald Hergert marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best
  • Late Rain
  • Trouble Down South and Other Stories
  • Melting the Slopes
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Winter Wishes
  • Dangerous Women
  • What Happens in Vegas... After Dark
  • The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer
  • Wolf Whistle
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Silver Lake
  • His For The Holidays
  • Green Light for Murder
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)