Start by marking “The Rustlers of West Fork” as Want to Read:
The Rustlers of West Fork

The Rustlers of West Fork (Hopalong Cassidy #1)

In this first of four classic frontier novels, Louis L'Amour adds his own special brand to the life and adventures of one of America's favorite fictional cowboys, Hopalong Cassidy. In The Rustlers of West Fork, the quick-thinking, fast-shooting cowpuncher heads west to deliver a fortune in bank notes to his old friend, Dick Jordan. When he arrives at the Circle J, he disco ...more
Published (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Rustlers of West Fork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rustlers of West Fork

Benjamin Thomas
May 08, 2016 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Many lists indicate this novel to be the first novel ever published by Louis L’Amour (although he had been publishing short stories in the pulps for over ten years). Some list it as the second published novel. It first appeared way back in 1951 and helped L'Amour refine the novel-writing skills that would eventually propel him to become far and away the all-time bestselling Western fiction author. This novel is one of four Hopalong Cassidy novels he wrote but they were originally published under ...more
Donna
There's a reason Louis L'Amour disavowed writing this novel. It's obviously a beginner's effort. It is a Hopalong Cassidy novel his family republished after his death. It captures the stereotypical mystique of the old west.

I still maintain I was born in the right century.
Steve Chaput
May 06, 2013 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years, L'Amour denied that he ever wrote these books, but even when it became an open secret (thanks to the copyright on one of them becoming public) he continued to distance himself from the work.

The Hopalong Cassidy we find here is tailored after the original character created by Clarence E. Mulford, for a series of short-stories and novels. When L'Amour was hired to write the books the American public was much more familiar with the portrayal of William Boyd in dozens of films and an up-c
James Sorensen
Nov 24, 2012 James Sorensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of four Hopalong Cassidy novels writen by Louis L'Amour under the name Tex Burns.
L'Amour actually refused to admit authorship of the Hopalong Cassidy novels during his lifetime. Although often called the second book in the series, The Rustlers of the West Fork is actually #1.

The story opens with Cassidy taking money to friend Dick Jordan, of the Circle J, that pays of a lone owed by another friend, Buck Peters. But Dick and his daughter Pam are being held prisoner by rustler an
Tani
Aug 30, 2009 Tani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, male-author, western
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Louis L'Amour does some great descriptions, and although the cowboy stereotype gets on my nerves slightly, it wasn't enough to make me dislike the characters. In fact, I was pretty intrigued by some of them, such as Mesquite Jenkins and Johnny Nelson. I'm almost curious enough to go hunt up some of the original Hopalong Cassidy books, just to see what they're like. And Louis L'Amour may hit my list of authors I want to read more by in the future. ...more
Ed
Jul 17, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, western
#1 in the Hopalong Cassidy series by author Louis L'Amour, writing as Tex Burns. L'Amour hid these novel under a pseudonym because his publisher demanded a kinder and gentler Hoppy in the TV and movie William E. Boyd persona rather than as the hard-bitten cowhand in the Clarence E. Mulford tradition whose series of novels L'Amour had been picked to continue.

The Hopalong Cassidy Novels #1 - The quick-thinking, fast-shooting cowpuncher heads west to deliver a fortune in bank notes to his old frien
Chris
Jan 19, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beau L'Amour writes a lengthy after words explaining how his father denied having written any of the Hopalong Cassidy novels. Beau is emphatic that his father did this out of some stubborn desire to hold on to an old lie. But really I think he denied writing the Hopalong books, because they're silly. The characters don't talk the way his characters normally do, and they react with violence when he might normally have them scare the antagonists into submission. The books just don't fit into his c ...more
Aaron Toponce
Mar 23, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite what Goodreads thinks, this is actually the first book in the series, not the second. On the back of the book even, it says "In this first of four classic fronteir novels, Louis L'Amour adds his own special brand to the life and adventures of one of America's favorite fictional cowboys, Hopalong Cassidy." Also, despite what his son, Beau L'Amour thinks, I actually found this story to be a great read.

Even though Louis L'Amour denied ever writing these books (they were written under the pe
Thomas
Aug 16, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes westerns, or action novels.
My second "western" and I really liked it. I can't say if it's the genre I like, the particular author, or just the action, clear-cut story line and theme. It may even be that having seen Hopalong Cassidy on television as a child I find it easy to associate the characters. I'll try another western in the future by a well-known author to try and figure out what I like about westerns (if anything). One of the best parts of this book was the afterward by Louis Lamour's son, where he says that Louis ...more
Ken Schloman
Sep 20, 2015 Ken Schloman rated it liked it
This is a good early L'Amour effort even though he refused to say he wrote it. He wanted to be faithful to the classic Mulford Hopalong Cassidy character. Publishers wanted a sanitized version of the character to cash in on the popular TV series at the time. Although I prefer the Mulford character, this novel captures what was to become the L'Amour trademarks of detailed research and excellent description. Well worth the read.
Alyx Tschirhart
Nov 25, 2015 Alyx Tschirhart rated it really liked it
An easy read/listen. In my mind, Louis L'Amour can do no wrong.
Growing up in the late 20th century, I have always been a huge L'Amour fan. I have only read a few Clarence E. Mulford novels. Therefore, the comparison between Mulford's Hoppy and L'Amour's, didn't really have an effect on my opinion of the novel.

I also appreciate a western series. Looking forward to the next 3 books.
Gene
Jul 07, 2016 Gene rated it it was amazing
In keeping with my desire to read all of Louis L'Amour books in the sequence of his writings, I have read the second book (first of the Hopalong Cassidy books) and am still in love with the descriptions and actions of His westerns. This is a great book to read after having grown up with the series and movies of the fifties.
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
**** "The Rustlers of West Fork" is the first Hopalong Cassidy by Louis L'Amour. I like how he makes the best of the formula western, fast action, bringing history to life, place and time. Everything feels real, despite publisher limitations. Heroes are tough, honorable, fast, loyal to friends who follow and help, fair to enemies, and leave the ladies with a smile. Here, Cassidy finds an old pal, crippled and confined with his now grown daughter. With gun, fist, experience, and imagination, our ...more
Emily Maughan
Jan 30, 2016 Emily Maughan rated it liked it
My first ever Louis L'Amour! Not my favorite genre but it reminded me of my dad and father in law so I liked it more than I normally would.
Dalton Sheridan
Nov 19, 2014 Dalton Sheridan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book. You really felt like you could connect with the characters and what they were going through.
Mike Capanda
Jun 02, 2015 Mike Capanda rated it really liked it
Tex Burns aka louis lamour ! 1st of 4 hopalong Cassidy novels. I enjoyed the story.
D. Norman
Jul 06, 2016 D. Norman rated it it was amazing
What a great read. I love the HC series and the LL westerns.
Buddy Draper
Apr 10, 2016 Buddy Draper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I absolutely loved L'Amour's take on an aging Hopalong Cassidy.
Sue
Aug 01, 2016 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Too much slang, too many apostrophes. Hard to follow.
Charlotte
Rose Marie
Typical western
James Love
Jul 02, 2015 James Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, own, ebook, western
This (per Beau L'amour) is the first of four books commissioned by Hollywood officials (insert sarcastic look here) to continue the adventures of Hopalong Cassidy. His father kept to the Clarence Mulford style. Sadly, William Boyd wanted the character in the books portrayed as he portrayed the character on the silver screen, a sanitized version that did not smoke or drink, which was not how Mulford had originally created the character.
Steven
Jul 13, 2014 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is not my first L.L. novel. I really enjoyed "The Empty Land" but I didn't care for this one.
Villager
Jun 12, 2011 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Louis L'Amour western featuring Hopalong Cassidy. It is a simple story of good and evil in the wild, wild West of yesteryear. My Dad loved reading L'Amour books and I 'spose that I'm becoming my Dad in that sense. There are four books in the Hopalong Cassidy series written by L'Amour and I recommend the entire series to anyone who enjoys a good fictional story about our nation's western heritage.
Phoebe
Jan 13, 2014 Phoebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
Read as a teenager. Loved that sandy, salty westernness. Totally fell for Hopalong Cassidy. Can't for the life of me remember anything else about it!
Joanne Fate
I don't want to give any Louis L'Amour book 3 stars, but I struggled with this. I'm not even sure what it is that made it difficult to read, but it might have been the big cast of characters. I guess I'm more in love with some of his other books. I wish that I had read the Afterward by his son, Beau first. It spread some light on how this came to be, and might've made it more enjoyable.
Charles
Jul 25, 2010 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is one of the Hopalong Cassidy books that L'Amour wrote and then spent years denying that he'd written. He apparently didn't want his name associated with them because the publishers altered L'Amour's characterization of Hopalong. It wasn't the writing because these are solidly told stories and quite good. They were only published by the family after L'Amour's death.
Bruce
This is second of four Hopalong Cassidy novels that Louis L'Amour wrote as Tex Burns. He never did admit to writing them, but after he died his son republished them under his name. He had to write them, not as he wanted to, but to be faithful to the movies and TV series. He did not like them. This was the best one of the ones I've read so far. 4 Stars.
Steven
Nice to read another simple, black hat-white hat adventure story, with none of that complicated introspection. I like layered characters and richness and growth as much as the next, but who has time for that when your hero is on the run trying to save a few lives and mete out frontier justice? That Avery Sparr, he needs killin....

Great vacation book.
  • A Lone Star Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Bull Hunter
  • Gunman's Rhapsody
  • The Handsomest Man in the Country (The Traherns #1)

Hopalong Cassidy (4 books)
  • The Trail to Seven Pines