Where You Belong
read ebook* *Different edition

Where You Belong

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Frost Devereaux's odyssey of self-discovery spans three decades and takes him to every corner of America. Guiding him along his journey are the twin loves of his life: Frankie & Frank Maguire. Through his tempestuous relationships with them, he learns who he is and where he belongs.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Where You Belong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where You Belong

Michael Offutt
This book is awesome.

The author, Mr. Dilloway, has woven a beautiful narrative through the often troubled life of Frost Devereaux. From his mother and father's terrible relationship to how he gets manipulated by the Maguire twins, the events that unfold are heart-wrenching.

Really, all Frost wants is to be loved and to not have to live a life alone. This yearning causes him to bounce between Frankie, the woman who taught him passion with A Streetcar Named Desire to Frank(her twin brother) who eng...more
Timothy
WHERE YOU BELONG is a bildungsroman featuring Frost Devereaux, a scarred (literally) protagonist who is orphaned at a young age, slowly evolves personally and professionally, clarifies his sexual identity, and then finally seems to land in an emotionally comfortable zone, where he can build from his difficult past.

A review of WYB on Amazon.com compares this novel to THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP. While I have not read GARP (or any John Irving novel), I did look up Irving on Wikipedia, where the p...more
Suzanne
Frost Devereaux is that passive character whose life experiences are determined by his more outgoing and driven friends. Much like the main characters in A Prayer for Owen Meany or Our Lady of the Lowriders, he is simply swept along into adventures, never really charting his own course. While his passivity is understandable in his younger years, it becomes annoying as he ages, and as he is repeatedly victimized.

I thought the beginning of the book was great, but it really dragged through the mid...more
Laphri
This book is good.
The title and description on the back intrigued me, but nevertheless I shelved it for a couple of months before I finally shrugged and picked it up. From page one I was hooked.
What kept me reading after that was the main character. I fell in love with him. Frost was such a nice guy and he seemed so real. It was really easy to get caught up in his life and care what happened to him. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't relate to him. It turns out that the difficulties he faced...more
Stacy
Karla
The paceing of this was well done never felt bored or drawn out. I love to read coming of age stories so I knew I'd enjoy this. Great character development really felt the characters were real. Being from the midwest I don't have much insight into how it feels to know anyone that is questioning there sexual preferance so this offered insight into the private mind of Frost I would never have had the oppertunity to know. This ended well with all lingering questions anwered. So grateful to have won...more
Molly
Lydia
Very well written story about a boy who becomes a man and his journey to find his way and discover who he is in life and what that all means in the scheme of things. I enjoyed reading this and was able to read it realitively quickly. Enjoy!
Cindy Borgne
I liked the main character Frost early in the story. Frost starts out in life with some problems. His mother dies in an accident which also leaves him scarred at an early age. His deadbeat father leaves and for a lot of the story Frost just goes about not really having a place in life, so he goes along with some friends that are rich and pretty much take him in. I liked him early in the story considering his background. He also pines for the almost crazy woman Frankie who is completely bad for h...more
Anne Miller
Nice character development. Main character maintains his essential goodness despite the losses and betrayal he experiences.
Michelle Pick
No time to write a review, but I DO recommend this novel. BILDUNGSROMAN: It forced me to revisit the definition and it's a great example of one, kind of an epic coming-of-age that covers 30 years (or more?) of a guy's tumultuous life. Since I'm short on time, here's what I commented on the author's own review of his book a few years after he'd written it:

Really grateful to find this review after staying up (way too late) last night to finish it. Your review affirms my feelings about the book. E...more
Patrick
Jan 23, 2010 Patrick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's been about a year since I finished writing and editing this book--and from the look of it I should have done at least one more edit. I figured that would be enough time to get a little perspective on the story since it wouldn't be so fresh in my mind. It's good to see that after a year I still like t. Maybe after five years that will be different, though I doubt it.

I set out to write something in the style of John Irving novels like The World According to Garp and The Cider House Rules and...more
Desiree
This book kept me reading to the end. It was interesting enough but I was disappointed with the end because we still don't know if Frost will ever find someone he is happy with or can trust. He seemed happy to have anyone to love him and was always betrayed. If only he had a mind of his own. And the irony's in this story was a little over the top.
Dina
Jul 29, 2009 Dina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very excited about winning this book. I can not wait to read it!
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Pastor
Pastor marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Mindy Stevens
Mindy Stevens marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2013
Swartzbg
Swartzbg marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Beth Gubbins
Beth Gubbins marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Hollie Lind
Hollie Lind marked it as to-read
Edel
Edel marked it as to-read
Melodie Ramone
Melodie Ramone marked it as to-read
Pam Schaitel
Pam Schaitel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Reha Sharma
Reha Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Gay Marriage 2 7 Mar 26, 2011 10:46AM
Chapter 1 Sample 1 6 Jun 09, 2009 09:15AM
Pat has never climbed Mt. Everest, never fronted a rock band (or played a musical instrument), never played on a pro sports team, never dated (or even seen up close) a supermodel, never been linked to any celebrity (A, B, D-list or otherwise), never walked down a red carpet, never had anyone discuss a "baby bump," never been featured on reality TV, and never been the star of a YouTube video. Howev...more
More about Patrick Dilloway...
Virgin Territory The Carnival Papers