Killed by Clutter (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #4)

Killed by Clutter (A Domestic Bliss Mystery #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  27 reviews
At first glance, decorator Erin Gilbert fell in love with the charming little bungalow on a quiet street in Crestview, Colorado. Until she stepped inside. There, eccentric widow Helen Walker has created a maze of bric-a-brac, papers, and just plain junk that she won’t throw out. Even worse: two bizarre deaths have convinced Helen she is being stalked by a serial killer–and...more
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Lain
Once again, Erin Gilbert finds herself embroiled in an interior design job-turned-murder as her attempts to declutter an elderly woman's house result in dead bodies galore. What exactly is hidden amongst the moldering piles of newspapers and magazines? Will Erin save the old woman from her busy-body neighbors and interfering relatives before the plug is pulled on her own life? And how much longer can she and Steve Sullivan flirt around before someone makes a definitive move?

The characters are fu...more
Lisa
I thought this was a pleasant read. I haven't read any of the others in the series but I'm thinking about checking them out.

The only thing I didn't like about this was the decoration tips.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Decorator Erin Gilbert's down on her luck and re-imagines herself in a new career - a de-clutterer. Is her latest client a nutcase hoarder or is she a hoarder in danger? Love the fictional take on what appears to be an all too common disorder, and makes me want to clean house.

Good character development and small town cozy relationships that you love to love and hate. The family dynamics make you want to weep. Not much local color, but no matter, go read Fodors.

--Ashland Mystery

Michelle
Killed By Clutter
Leslie Caine
Mystery
328 pages
copyright: 2007
isbn: 978-440-33598-6

A Place for Everything And Everything In It's Place. Including Murder.

At first glance, decorator Erin Gilbert fell in love with the charming little bungalow on a quiet stret in Crestview, Colorado. Unitl she stepped inside. There, eccentric widow Helen Walker has created a maze of bric-a-brac, papers, and just plain junk that she won't throw out. Even worse: two bizarre deaths have convinced Helen she is being stalk...more
Desiree
While this isn't my usual type of book, I rather enjoyed it. I have often speculated as to whether or not my high stacks of books would come tumbling down on my head while I slept, so I thought this would be a good one for me! :-)

It's decent, albeit far-fetched and idiosyncratic. If I knew that someone was breaking into my home and taking things, I would certainly change my locks, something the protagonist refuses to do.... hmmm... I guess if she did, there wouldn't be much of a book! "Police of...more
Kris
I spotted this title at the Niles Library and know I had to read it! I struggle each day to de-clutter around here, but being a fairly serious packrat, I seem to be losing the battle.

Fortunately (is this a spoiler?) it doesn't appear the murder(s) in this book were actually caused by the piles of stuff. This book is part of a series of mystery novels by Leslie Caine--a "Domestic Bliss" series. It features a protagonist who is an interior decorator. I think that several of the other novels featur...more
Corky
Eccentric widow Helen Walker has created a maze of "stuff" she won’t throw out. Decorator Erin Gilbert has been hired by Helen's family to help her get rid of the clutter. Helen is reluctant as she is convinced that people around her who are dying are really being killed and her only defense is her cluttered house.Realizing that there is a method to her client’s madness, Erin sets out to discover just what is in the house that really is worth killing for.
Ruth
A neighbor gave me this book in a stack of several pulp fiction books. This is fairly cheesy writing but in the end it was interesting enough that it worked to keep my mind away from other concerns, so that's good. Evidently the author has several in a series of books about an interior-decorator turned detective. I prefer my Goldy Schultz catering mysteries over this sort of book, but it's still fine if you want a fluffy, easy read.
Kristal
Erin Gilbert, an interior designer in Crestview, Colorado, is hired by a couple to help their pack-rat aunt move back into her house instead of living in her garage, the only open space she has left. But the aunt is sure someone is out to kill her. And before you can say "junk", there is a dead body. And it's up to Erin to figure out who the killer is.
VJ
It was ok, but not my favorite cozy series. The premise of the series is cute and the main character is ok but this one just didn't do it for me.

The perp was a character I didn't really like but the reasoning behind the murder was really dumb. The side plot with the disappearing heirlooms by the nephew was more believable as a motive.
Dale
ill bk cute story of a clutter buster/interior designer and her client an old lady with paths in her house and a dead next door neighbor in the basement-- twists fromher past with her sister and her husband a pushy niece and sad sack nephew and the design firm of Sullivan and gilbert rides to the rescue
Judith
Fun mystery to read...
Interior designer turn amateur detective. I like interior designing and I like mystery. Not entirely realistic, but what's the point of reading a totally realistic fiction?
Julie Golding Page
While this was a fun and light read, I found the main character irritating in both her unrealistic meddling in her clients' affairs and her inability to be honest with her love interest.
Sheila
This is a nice - fun quick read murder mystery. Full of twists that keep you interested. Love the decorating / scrapbook connection.
Linda
I really enjoyed this installment in the series. It was a lot of fun and I really didn't guess who the killer was.
Lori
A bit of fluff - but good fun, with positive characters and humor. Murder lite, which is what I needed.
Jessica
I love this series. The author is one of my favorites. A cute cozy about an interior decorator.
Debbie
Cute, easy read. A little corny at times, but I didn't have to think about it at all.
Alicia V
Loved it! Great continuation in the series and awesome Decor tips through out.
Deedeebee
I enjoyed this book. Clutter busting meets murder!! What's not to like?
Julie
An entertaining but not mind-boggling mystery.
Deena Santori
A good, light-weight vacation read.
Jjd528
Another light fun read.
Dawn
Enjoyable summer read!
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Cluttered Corpse (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #2)
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #2)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • The Brim Reaper (Style & Error Mystery, #3)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • Fiber and Brimstone (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #8)
Aka Leslie O'Kane

(about the photo from author's own webpage)

"This is an old photo of my daughter and me in front of our house in Colorado. She is now in college and looks quite different, but amazingly, I haven't changed one bit!"

(from author's own webpage--abbreviated)

As the opening for my "Meet Leslie" page, here's a touch of biographical information: I have been married for more than two decade...more
More about Leslie Caine...
Death by Inferior Design Manor of Death False Premises Fatal Feng Shui (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #5) Holly and Homicide (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #7)