Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four - Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four - Volume 2

Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four - Volume 2 (Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Celebrate Marvel's 70th anniversary by experiencing the tales of the world's most-famous super heroes from the very beginning The Marvel Masterworks have brought readers deluxe hardcover collections of Marvel's classics from the Golden Age, Atlas Era, and the mighty Marvel Age, and now you can join in the Masterworks excitement with Marvel's new, monthly Marvel Masterworks ...more
Published July 8th 2009 by Marvel (first published April 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Evan Leach
This book collects issues 11-20 of the Fantastic Four along with the first annual. Highlights include a face-off with The Hulk, the return of Doctor Doom, and COMMUNIST SUPER-APES IN OUTER SPACE GOD HELP US ALL:

img: FF1

All of these issues were written way back in 1963, and it’s safe to say that they can feel pretty dated at times…

img: FF1

Wow, computers were pretty sweet in the ‘60s!! Not very portable, though. Anyway, you either enjoy the Stan Lee style or not. If the panels above made you groan, the last thing
Printable Tire
The Marvel Masterworks I read isn't the exact same edition as this because it didn't include the annual, but whatever. I continue to enjoy these early light-hearted adventures. I especially love the interactivity of the comic book medium back then; clearly Stan Lee & Jack Kirby wanted to be crowd pleasers, and they wanted fans to feel like the FF were real people, taking their suggestions. No misunderstood artistes these! Thus the changing of the design of the fantasticar so it doesn't look ...more
Oscar Salas
Despachado el impacto inicial, Lee y Kirby se enfrentan a la tarea de mantener la frescura y el interés antes los lectores cautivos. En este segundo volumen se denota el comienzo de la experimentación que llevará a los 4 Fantásticos a cumplir a rajatabla con el motto de "El Cómic Más Grande del Mundo". Hay episodios de relleno y resoluciones flojas, pero también destellos de genio: particularmente en el primer Anual de la colección, se establecen dos bases: la composición amplia de las viñetas K ...more
Alex Robinson
This one was a bit of a chore to get through compared to volume 1, which at least had the novelty of Lee and Kirby sort of figuring things out. The one advantage this volume has compared to the first is that Lee and Kirby finally stopped relying on the boring Sub-Mariner (who only appears once) and introduced some new villains.
The first story tries to stick up for the importance of Sue on the team and pretty much fails. I have a better understanding of how different and fresh Storm and Phoenix may have appeared to readers seeing this story. It took me months to make it through this volume and I would not have even tried without Kirby's art.
Rich Meyer
This second Fantastic Four volume of the Marvel Masterworks series has Jack Kirby hitting his stride on the book. The issues in this one feature the debut appearances of the Super Skrull, the Red Ghost and his Super Apes, Impossible Man, the Watcher, and the return of Doctor Doom, the Puppet Master and the Sub-Mariner.

The late Dick Ayers handles the inks on nine of the issues, with the remaining one, the introduction of the Red Ghost, being inked by Steve Ditko. This is one of those "can't fail
It's a good representation of stories, with a nice rogues gallery. One of my favorite things was finding the origins of Impossible Man, whom I had been unable to track down since I remembered him only as the Imp. There is also a good balance of mixing it up with other characters, including the Hulk, Spider-Man, Ant Man, and Namor.

Reading it was also a pain because I really find most of the Four kind of annoying. Maybe that's why my favorite is Ben Grimm, because he is usually pretty crabby with
The writing remains terrible. The characterizations are starting to improve, though not by much. Sue is starting to think about being maybe not totally useless. Ben is still a broken-record rage machine. However, the stories themselves are getting better. Namor stories are particularly engaging.

I still can't recommend it though, except for uber-completists and Sub-Mariner fans.
Dec 02, 2014 Andrew rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: ToReadPhil
Shelves: capes, 2014
Every blank spot Kirby left in the panel Lee just had to fill up with dialogue - mostly trivial exposition. I wish Kirby created even busier pages then what's already a super busy comic page. I enjoy Kirby's early 70s work, but I've never had any success with his 60s stuff. I don't see the brilliance in his art, not outside of a historical point-of-view (and even then in these pages he's hardly the greatest of his time).

I ended up skimming most of Lee's dialogue and following the plot just base
Kitten Kisser
These are great compilation books! My husband is collecting them & he loves them! They are filled with glossy color pages inside & the book is hard cover with a dust jacket. You get 10 comics per book & it is a great way to collect these rare jewels. I will continue to purchase these books for my husband in the future.
Mike Jensen
Two or three of the issues reprinted here are not up to the rest, but the rest are Lee and Kirby doing their best work together so far. The best of these are fun stories and fine storytelling.
Sam Poole
So- this is awesome sometimes, annoying a lot of the time. Stan Lee is so awful at writing female characters and Kirby is just too good to have to deal with poor scripts like this
This where Lee & Kirby really hit their stride with the Fantastic Four. A few issues don't work quite as well (The Molecule Man, for one), but the Annual where Namor invades the surface is just aces. The Dr. Doom two-parter and the Super Skrull are also great fun.
Its really amusing to read these really old school comics and be able to appreciate how far they have come as a genre. Some of the new villains introduced in this volume were pretty silly, but I enjoyed them nevertheless. I also loved the superliminal Pro America/anti-communist comments in the Red Ghost story. It was funny and interesting to think about how different our world was fifty years ago when these were originally written.

Edward Davies
The FF face off The Impossible Man in this second volume of antics, spanning issues 11 to 20 and the first annual whih guest stars Namor and Spider-Man. Plus we have first appearances by The Mad Thinker, The Watcher and The Super Skrull as the FF go from strength to strength.
Apr 03, 2010 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
It was hard to get through, but it was kinda cool seeing some of the old classic villains. I liked the Namor stories the best.
Nicholas Doyle
This one was harder to get through than the first volume, but I'm almost to the great stuff.
Tara Calaby
The early Fantastic Four comics are definitely among the best of Marvel in the 60s.
Joseph Rice
not as good as the first volume, but still enjoyable.
Edward McWhirter
Edward McWhirter marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Sam added it
Sep 29, 2015
Imogen is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2015
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Ryan Atwood
Ryan Atwood is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2015
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Amanda Balding
Amanda Balding marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
James is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
  • Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • The Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1
  • Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Spider-Verse Prelude
  • The Flash: Terminal Velocity
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 1
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 8
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 9
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 10
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four, Vol. 11
How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1