Start by marking “Itsy Bitsy Spider” as Want to Read:

Itsy Bitsy Spider

The Kate Toms Series is a fantastic series by Kate Toms that will engage and amuse little ones and adults alike.

Itsy Bitsy Spider
is a beautiful, padded board book that babies and toddlers will love to share. It has a soft-to-touch cover with flocking and glitter and exquisite, hand-stitched illustrations throughout. The charming, rhyming text, loosely based on
Board Book, 26 pages
Published June 8th 2009 by Make Believe Ideas (first published February 1st 2009)

Annette Taylor-james
Jul 15, 2014 Annette Taylor-james rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
All life size pictures of each of the things mentioned in this story. It is a little different than the finger play version; it is a little bit more wordy; I would call it the an extended version of the nursery rhythm.
Quiana Coston
Nov 03, 2016 Quiana Coston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-nursery-rhymes
awards:none
Grade level: Birth-Kindergarten.

Summary: It has a thick durable cover that is soft and inviting for toddlers to turn. It is loosely based on the classic nursery rhyme because the spider does not stop once up the spout. The spider finds himself up a tree and even spins a web.

Review: The pictures are shimmery and colorful. I actually read this book often and I enjoy it every time. My copy has been through 3 children and it is still in tact so I think it is very well made.

Possible uses
Cindi
Dec 30, 2011 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Author Kate Toms has discovered why he kept climbing that infernal waterspout and how he finally made it to the top.

Written for infants and older children, the classic song of Itsy Bitsy Spider and his continual climb up the waterspout, is given additional verses by author Kate Toms. Throughout the story it's explained why the spider climbs the spout (he has built his web high so he can see what's going on in the world), his many techniques for climbing (swim goggles and an umbrella), and his e
Duane
Jul 31, 2013 Duane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing, I would not classify this as a board book. There is nothing about this book that is similiar. It's a full size picture book with amazing hand sewn illustrations that will entertain youngsters for a long time. Following the well known song, the author does a great job of showing how the spider tries varies ways of getting up the water spout. The book is a great one for storytimes and will be a big hit in your youth picture book collection.
Sandra Y.
Jul 31, 2013 Sandra Y. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how Kate Toms took a classic song and turns it into a story with a teaching moral. The Itsy Bitsy Spider here does not give up when he's washed out; instead he try's in many ways to make it up the spout until he succeeds. I like how it teaches children to problem solve as well as to not just give up. Great story, written in a semi-rhyming style. I would recommend this book for preschool and up.
Erin
Feb 24, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
With a creative and inspiring take on the beloved children's song, this book is surely a classic. Beautifully textured illustrations, a bouncy cadence with easy rhymes, and a delightfully silly story, Itsy quickly captivates young readers and inspires them to think creatively to solve their problems. This is one book I don't mind reading ten times an hour- and I can't think of a better recommendation than that!
jacky
Feb 02, 2010 jacky rated it it was ok
Shelves: board-books
I read several books at Walmart while looking for Pooh bear. Natalie loves the song this book is based on, so I was very excited to see this book. However, this was a let down. It had good potential, but the story strayed too far from the original song for my tastes. The illustrations weren't that great either.
Meg McGregor
Dec 16, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This will definitely become one of your little one's favorite books!

She jumped up and down, with excitement, when I gave it to her.

We have already read it several times today and the smile on her face would make Itsy smile too!
Mal Conner
Sep 16, 2010 Mal Conner rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
There is something about this book that I love! I got it from the library a couple days ago 'cause Madie loves books that I can sing to. She tends to pay attention to them. This one has the song on the first page, but the rest of the book is a story about Itsy and she doesn't listen to it, but I have read the book through probably five times. I love it! It makes me laugh.
Meg McGregor
Feb 01, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This will definitely become one of your little one's favorite books!

In fact, Lexi loves it so much her first copy wore out so I was delighted when I was able to track this down in the library's bookstore. She jumped up and down with excitement when I gave it to her.

Family
Jan 05, 2012 Family rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
My son LOVES the song "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and this book is absolutely perfect- you can sing the words as you learn about how the spider tries to get up the spout without being washed out. Adorable illustrations and great lyrical rhyming make this book a must have for any "Itsy Bitsy" fan.
Andrea
May 18, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
If the familiar verse isn't enough to catch your kids' attention, the wonderful pictures in this book should keep them entertained. Plus, the added story about determination is great for kids of all ages.
Nov 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite children's book. My kids love that it broadens and creates a story for Itsy and I love the positive messages that are found throughout the story. We read a lot and I'm so lucky to have happened upon this gem last Halloween!
Mary Train
Mar 17, 2010 Mary Train rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Like her other books, I love the illustrations of Kate Toms. I also love that she has taken some classic, great child-tested favorites to carry the piece. As a teacher and parent, I'd love lots of books like this for my collections.
Tracy
Oct 28, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Found this at Walmart and figured " why not". It's one of the songs Kalley is working on. Love it! Cute story, much more than just the well known song but I was able to sing through most of it and come up with hand motions. My girls both loved it!
Breanna
Mar 30, 2012 Breanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, t-l306
The author starts with the traditional verse and then weaves a story about the intrepid little spider and how he finally conquers the water spout. Kids will love the story and illustrations. I think it would be a great classroom tool, perhaps as an intro to putting your own spin on classic tales.
Jonathan
Dec 01, 2011 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Not my parents favorite, but I love to read it all the time. They think it's a bit complex and wordy. I love to ask "what's that" about everything on every page.
Erin
Jan 17, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Fun rhyming book about why Itsy needs to climb the spout and how he tries to accomplish it. Great for preschool.
Breana Vining
Feb 15, 2010 Breana Vining rated it really liked it
Did you ever wonder what happened to the itsy bitsy spider after he climbed up the water spout? This is a good book for a group of youngsters to listen to to hear of the adventures of the spider!
Megan Gery
Nov 03, 2015 Megan Gery rated it it was amazing
My favorite version of the Itsy Bitsy Spider ever! I love the creative problem-solving illustrated in this story, and of course, M loves it too!
Sarah Kelly
Apr 13, 2012 Sarah Kelly rated it it was amazing
Love it! The story behind the lullaby! My little girl adores this book we read pretty much every night!
Amie
Nov 20, 2015 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Absolutely adorable! Another baby shower gift. I think we'll find more books by Kate Toms to enjoy together.
John Lewis
John Lewis rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Stephanie Repine
Stephanie Repine rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Jette
Jette rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Emily Dybdahl
Emily Dybdahl rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Shelley Trick
Shelley Trick rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • I Love You Because You're You
  • What Makes Day and Night
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)
  • Tadpole Rex
  • How Do I Love You?
  • Ugly Fish
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Eight Silly Monkeys
  • Tickle Monster
  • Five Little Ladybugs
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Curious George Curious You: On Your Way!
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • I Love You, Mommy