Start by marking “The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding

The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,637 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
The first farm that Beatrix Potter owned, Hill Top, was an old house with thick walls and many hiding places for rats and mice. In The Tale of Samuel Whiskers this farmhouse is Tom Kitten's home and the story tells what happens when Tom accidently comes upon the rat Samuel Whiskers living in a secret hideout behind the attic walls.

The Tale of Samuel Whiskers is number 16 i
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published January 1st 1908)

Manny
Mar 24, 2016 Manny rated it liked it
It's crying out to be filmed by David Cronenberg. Here's how I imagine his treatment of the pivotal scene:

[Interior. The home of SAMUEL WHISKERS and ANNA MARIA. The two mice, who have tied up TOM KITTEN and covered him in pastry, are about to bake him alive]

SAMUEL WHISKERS: His tail is sticking out! You did not fetch enough dough, Anna Maria.

[He takes out a mirror and cuts a line of coke, which he noisily snorts. ANNA MARIA examines TOM KITTEN, leaning forward so that her ample mouse cleavage is
Alessandra
Apr 16, 2012 Alessandra rated it did not like it
When I was a child this book gave me screaming nightmares about being smothered in pie dough and dragged between the walls of my house where no one could find or hear me being eaten by rats. I didn't even know there were spaces between walls in houses until I read this book. The rats rolled up the kitten into a pie -- drawn very realistically -- and were going to bake him alive. Thank you very much, Beatrix Potter.

It took me a while to find this book to review, since my copy was called "The Roly
Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Sweetest Beatrix Potter that I have read to date.

A house of cats with mischievous kittens who all are afraid and pestered by the huge number of rats in the house. Samuel Whiskers is the father rat who lives along with his wife in the same house.

Tom Kitten gets into trouble while trying to hide away from his mother and gets into the hands of Samuel Whiskers.

Potter tells us the story of how the rats started to spoil the farmers produce and how the cats started hunting for the rats. These arch e
Nicole Clear
Aug 19, 2013 Nicole Clear rated it it was amazing
This story is somewhat of a children’s thriller. Tom kitten runs away from his mother so he doesn’t have to be locked away while she is baking. He comes across his worst fear; two merciless rats who wrap him up in dough and prepare for him to be baked. Unsure of what will become of Tom kitten, children will be sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if his mum will rescue him in time or the evil rats will have their wicked way.

I remember reading this book as a child and watching the animat
Shannon
Oh my god, I remember reading this when I was a little kid. My mom bought the VHS for me that had all the stories animated. I can honestly say this one traumatized me. I know it's a book, but it gave me nightmares when I was younger. I seriously thought Tom Kitten was going to meet his death and be baked into a pie by the two rats. FREAKY FREAKY! So disturbing...back in the day this must have done a good job teaching kids not to disobey their parents. The moral is if you don't listen to your par ...more
Jason Goodwin
Mar 09, 2014 Jason Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Ultimate noir, from the original Mistress of Menace (cf The Tale of Mr Tod), and with illustrations.
Uttam Singh
Nov 21, 2012 Uttam Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful classic from the beloved ‘Peter Rabbit’ series by Beatrix Potter. The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding, is a cautionary tale featuring anthropomorphic, Edwardian; cats, rats and even a ‘handyman’ dog. The tale, as with all others in the series, is beautifully complimented to great effect by Mrs Potter’s classic illustrations, at one point being mentioned in the story itself to mark out the particular spot in the house a character was.

The plot centres around the disap
Annet
Dec 26, 2012 Annet rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Delightful little book, my first Beatrix Potter. Discovered two little Potter books on my bookshelves recently while cleaning up ;-)
Hey... what's this... haven't read those yet... must have picked them up in a second hand bookstore... I absolutely loved the story and especially also the illustrations and black/white and colour drawings of the cats, the kittens and the rats. Could imagine this is a bit of a scary story for the little ones...
Will continue to read Beatrix Potter definitely.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Bizare story! So the cat family don't hunt rats (odd), till they take it up as a profession (logical). Also, shouldn't all the animals be friends against the farmer? I guess not... also, the turning of Tom Kitten into dinner is a bit Hannibal Lecter and he suffers from PTSD the rest of his life if he sees any rodent bigger then a tiny mouse. Also, they USE the ingredients that Tom was wrapped in to make dinner. Ew.
Natasha
Dec 31, 2014 Natasha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This has got to be one of the most bizarre children's stories I've ever read.

Tabitha Twitchit (a cat) decides to lock her kittens in a cupboard while she does some baking, but the kittens all run away and hide around the house. Two of the kittens just hide in pots/barrels but Tom Kitten climbs up inside the chimney. He ends up under the attic floorboards where a couple of rats decide to eat him, so they tie him up with string and cover him in pastry!
Karen
Mar 26, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Ellie's favorite book from Beatrix Potter. Jacob rated this 4 stars...3/26/15

Read again, outside, while letting the bunnies frolic in the grass and smelling the sweet smell of the blossoms from the grapefruit tree. Life does not get better!..krb 2/19/16

Read again for Ellie before bed. She just loves these little mischief makers....can she relate to them? :)..krb 6/6/16

Ellie is reading through all the Beatrix Potter books we have..krb 1/28/17
Sabrina Wannet
Jan 06, 2017 Sabrina Wannet rated it it was amazing
De cover is super schattig en trekt direct je aandacht. De boeken van beatrix potter zijn echte jeugdsentiment die ten alle tijde leuk blijft om te lezen. Dit is boekje 16 van 23 uit de serie waarvan je de boekjes apart kunt lezen.
Enchantress  debbicat ☮
Shenanigans! I am a HUGE cat lover. Arch enemies, cat and mouse, the potato farmer. This one has it all. It's pretty funny and I had to chuckle at the humor. Read it for yourself and enjoy a few grins. I enjoyed it through my library kindle app.
Mariamarta Lee
Sep 15, 2010 Mariamarta Lee rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Samuel Whiskers is shameless.
the best quote is "we are discovered and interrupted!."
Lesley
Read, and enjoyed, this so many times with my children it has to get 5 stars.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
Tom Kitten being made into a roly-poly dumpling or pudding or whatever! oh wonderful. those rats are sooo bad..
Calista
Jul 08, 2017 Calista rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, children
This is a longer story. The big theme here is don't run away from your mother or you'll be rolled in a pie. There are color illustration and there are some black and white simple prints mixed in. There are rats and cats in this story. Tom Kitten is not having the best of days. It all turns out alright in the end.

It's an enjoyable story.
Mimi
Jul 21, 2017 Mimi rated it really liked it
An extra long story featuring Tom Kitten and how he (almost) ended up as a pastry...
Tobi Grantham
Mar 07, 2017 Tobi Grantham rated it it was ok
A remarkably stressful read. Not my favourite of Potters by a long way.
Dione Basseri
Sep 15, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
A rather long story, by Potter's standards. We return to the trio of kittens, who this time have to deal with danger coming to THEM, rather than courting it their own selves. Samuel Whiskers doesn't feature so much until the middle of the story or so, and when he does appear, things go downhill fast for Tom Kitten. Whiskers is a rat, and a strong one at that. He and his wife capture Tom Kitten and roll him up in dough, intending to cook him, and come frighteningly close to doing so. This story m ...more
shawnna
Nov 15, 2015 shawnna rated it it was amazing
a little book about the childhood sin of disobedience.

we see tom kitten. a young kitty who lives with his mother, tabitha. tom has two sisters, moppet and mittens. the house they live in is infested with rats. tabitha's kittens are a tad unruly, so she puts moppet and mittens in a cupboard to try and keep them under control, but tom escapes up the chimney. as he makes his way up, he comes across a crack in the wall and, squeezes through it, finds himself in the attic's floorboards. he meets the
Jane Stadermann
Jun 08, 2016 Jane Stadermann rated it really liked it
There are a few Beatrix Potter mini books that I read and think...What? Where'd the plot go? Is that an epilogue or is that part of the story? Where did that character come from and what have they got to do with the plot? Did she have an editor?
And then there are other times when I think....great traditional illustrations and great expose of a devious character.
The Tale of Samuel Whiskers had me thinking the other time thoughts.

A kitten goes missing, his mother searches for him, two rats catch
Kate Sarkar
May 14, 2013 Kate Sarkar rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written, cautionary tale for children who do not listen to their mothers! Tom kitten escapes from his mother up the chimney and into the attic floorboards, where he has the misfortune of stumbling into an enormous rat - Samuel Whiskers and his wife Anna Maria. The two rats wrap poor Tom in dough - thieved from his mother's kitchen and fashion him into a giant roly-poly pudding which they plan to bake and eat. Luckily for Tom, help is on hand in the form of John Joiner, a ca ...more
Shainna
Sep 13, 2014 Shainna rated it did not like it
Normally, I liked Beatrix Potter. My sister and I received a collection of her stories when we were younger and would read them. Most of them were nice but I especially loved the illustrations.

This story, however, freaked me out. (Which is saying something since I've seen movies that have scared other people senseless and I wasn't bothered.)

I have cats. I've always had cats. The idea that some mouse would decide to bake my cat scared the hell out of me.

Thus I have never read this story again,
Kim
Dec 08, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Cats getting into mischief; right up my alley. Also to note, the mother cat is anxious and paranoid, causing her to be overprotective and controlling. So her 3 kids get into trouble because they rebel and try to escape. Hmmm...

I've read about half of Potter's books so far and animals escaping being eaten in a very extravagant way seems to be a reoccurring theme. Nature, I get it. But it is turning into a bit of a bore (not awful because the stories and circumstances are all very different. But s
GoldGato
...it shows how very unwise it is to go up a chimney in a very old house, where a person does not know his way, and where there are enormous rats.

Rats who can ambush a kitten, tie him up, and then roll him in dough for baking! What is this, the Brothers Grimm? This story had such an effect on me as a child, I have, to this day, refused to live in any home that has a chimney. Truth. I also grew up believing rats took snuff.

"...let us collect our property - and other people's - and depart at once.
Briana Apuzzo
The Tale of Samuel Whiskers ends well but seems a bit tumultous for the young audience. It is a tale of a mother cat with three michievous kittens. Thomas being the most michievous of the three who is caught in between the walls by two rats: Anna Maria and Samuel Whiskers. The pictures show Thomas being tied up, stuffed into dough, and rolled out! Although, in the end, Thomas is saved and the rats go away, you should consider the age and sensitivity of your readers/audience. Overall, it is a goo ...more
Jonathan
Apr 13, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mrs Tabitha Twitchit has rather outmoded child-rearing ideas - like locking her children (or kittens in this instance) in a cupboard while she is baking, to stop them getting up to any mischief. Is she for real? Well yes, because, as it happens, on the day in question, her little boy kitten Tom does get up to mischief, climbs the chimney, gets captured by a rather large rat called Samuel Whiskers and then is turned into a roly-poly pudding by Mrs Whiskers - but luckily is saved before he is cook ...more
Jaymie Starr
Jan 31, 2011 Jaymie Starr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I just found a very old copy of this book for only a $1.00 at an antique store. I had never read it and was curious about one of Beatrix Potter's stories that had never come across our paths before. It's the story of a naughty Tom kitten (suprise, suprise), who gets himself into all kinds of awful trouble and the other chaos that ensues.
Enjoyable little lessons for all children! SO much easier to learn a life-lesson from animals than from lectures.
Week 1 1 4 Jan 22, 2012 08:29AM
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
  • Winter Story
  • One Monster After Another
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Comet's Nine Lives
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • Blaze and the Gray Spotted Pony
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (Peter Rabbit)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester