Start by marking “Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)” as Want to Read:
Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)

Salvation in Death (In Death #27)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,821 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews

Mass Market Paperback, 436 pages
Published by Piatku Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Salvation in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation in Death

Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 07, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Holy moly. I'm not sure how J.D. Robb continues to write such consistently fabulous stories about Eve and Roarke, but she's done it again with "Salvation in Death".

This time the victim is a Priest! And he was killed via the sacrament during a funeral mass. Into this holy mess (HAHA) steps Eve the cop. Musing her way through a mass (!) of subjects while trying not to step on too many toes ("I never genuflect in public.") Eve soon discovers the dead priest was not really a priest. The threads for
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 22-26 September 2013

2nd read 11 March - 10 April 2016
LJ
SALVATION IN DEATH (Pol. Proc-Eve Dallas-New York City- Future/2060) - VG
Robb, J. D. (aka Nora Roberts) – 28th in series
Putnam, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155222

First Sentence: At the mass of the dead, the priest placed the wafer of unleavened bread and the cheap red wine on the linen corporal draping the alter.

Performing communion can be deadly. At least it was to the priest officiating at a funeral service. One sip of from the chalice and he is dead.

One other small problem; as Eve inve
Catherine
Started out slow but eventually picked up. Good but not great but it def had its moments.
Joseph Young
Nov 26, 2014 Joseph Young rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
Midway through the book, the main character thinks about some lawyer, "Does this guy really want to be a cliche?" and I thought, "Why not? Everyone else in this book is."

I don't know if the audio version makes it worse, but almost all the characters in the book were cliches. The main character, while slightly more fleshed out, is unlikable to me, as she seems to be a power-tripping asshole who somehow justifies it by having been a victim at one point in her life. She is never wrong as a detectiv
Beth Allen
Nov 20, 2008 Beth Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
J.D. Robb, a.k.a Nora Roberts, does not write great literature.

But she writes a ripping good story.

The year is 2060, and a Catholic priest has been murdered as he performs a Mass of the Dead.

And you just won't believe what happens next!

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYC homicide detective, is a tireless champion for the victims of crime.

Once again, Eve finds out "who done it," while struggling with her own demons.

Eve is smart, and sassy, and in love with her rich/gorgeous husband Roarke.

Every so often,
Venus Blancia
I will always remember the plot with this convo.
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back.

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
Catherine
I can't seem to stop reading this series, and it's driving me nuts! The series really started well with nice character development in an inventive futuristic world, but the characters of late have just fallen into this formulaic routine...they need to grow more. Unfortunately, this book, in particular, lacked the interaction with many of the minor characters...definitely a step in the wrong direction...less character evolution. I'm starting to think that the author of "more than 150 novels" shou ...more
Kjen
Just did a re-read...Really love Eve and Roarke in this one. They are very "married" but so many good parts and lines. The car sex was hot and hilarious! One of my new favorite quotes/exchanges...Roarke: "I'm often better than I think I am." Eve: "No one's as good as you think you are." Love it!
Nicole
Jun 21, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
J.D. Robb's latest paperback release Salvation in Death was a bit of a disappointment for me. I thought the storyline was rushed and not as well-rounded as past efforts in the series.

*************
Holy communion spells death for Fr. Miguel Flores, a popular Catholic priest in New York City's Spanish Harlem, after he swallows wine laced with cyanide during a funeral in bestseller Robb's unusually introspective 27th crime thriller to feature Lt. Eve Dallas (after Strangers in Death). The ensuing ho
Anna Francesca
Jan 31, 2009 Anna Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore this series the way I adore peanut butter cups-- they might not be nutritious, but boy are they yummy! While there are some two-dimensional "extras", the main characters are well-defined. I found the examination of religion and moral ambiguity in this book to bring a greater depth to this volume than some of the other Eve Dallas novels. If I could, I would give it 4 1/2 stars, and I would recommend it to any of my friends mature enough to deal with a degree of non-gratuitous violence and ...more
Caz Malpas
3.5 - 4 HOLIER THAN THOU STARS

Well this is a first for me, rating an In Death book less than a full 4 stars, I can't pin point one reason why, only a few little ones, this one seemed to lack the humour and the banter that normally comes in abundance, the amount of characters and who they were just confused me and to be honest after the first few hours of listening to it, I was ready to abandon it, but Jonetta told me it does improve and it did, however it just fell below the normal high bar set
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
4 Stars

I found Salvation in Death to be an interesting installment though it is far from my favorite in the series. Things start off with a bang (not literally) when a Catholic priest, Father Flores, dies after drinking Holy Communion wine in the middle of a funeral. Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner Detective Delia Peabody are assigned to case which gets weirder when it is discovered that the body in the medical examiner's office does not match the DNA of Father Miguel Flores.

In terms of th
Julie
Mar 27, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the funniest of the "In Death" series so far. Both Eve and Peabody got some zingers in. Eve mostly with the religion thing, her not understanding it, calling the communion wafer a "cookie, cracker, what the hell do I call it" in her head before the priest supplied the word host. While working through guests at the funeral the priest says " You can probably eliminate the infants and toddlers..." Her response, "I don't know toddlers are pretty suspicious." Eve isn't usually so glib ...more
Kathryn
Another excellent book in this series. Eve again proves her care and compassion to stand for the dead, it doesn't matter how far back. And she knows how to reel in someone who thinks she has got away with it. Loved her reception of a cake that set of a new train of thought. Her foray into a murder in the Catholic church brings her to meet a priest that she is able to question and show her theology is pretty good too. It's not all about rules!
Andree
Jul 06, 2016 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
And I am apparently flying through these this week. This one is again solid. The religion aspect was generally well done, which I appreciate. Although I thought the Catholic masses were in Latin in this world (they were according to one of the first books). The way this was written, didn't get that impression that was the case. Which, I get why, for ease of writing reasons, but for some reason I am inexplicably sad to lose that little detail.

Did find the intricacies of the case a bit hard to fo
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
I have to admit as I started reading this one I thought, for a little bit, that I might have come across the first ever "in Death" book that I wouldn't care for.....but of course I was wrong. LOL.

Admittedly, this book started out kind of slow for me and I wasn't "excited" about the nature of the crime. Then everything started to roll and I like where she went with this particular story-line.

In a nutshell - A priest dies in the act of giving a funeral mass. On the surface he seems to be a well-li
DaJa
Mar 15, 2016 DaJa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eve-dallas, 2016
Als grosser Fan der Serie bin ich auch bei diesem Band wieder auf meine Kosten gekommen und vergebe 4,5 Sterne.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"In the year 2060, sophisticated investigative tools can help catch a killer. But there are some questions even the most advanced technologies cannot answer.

Ridley Pearson has praised J. D. Robb’s suspense as “taut” and “nerve-jangling.” Her latest thriller sets a new standard for suspense, as the priest at a Catholic funeral mass brings the chalice to his lips--and falls over dead.

When Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained potassium cyanide, she’s d
Lou Douglas
***some spoilers***
I have read Salvation in Death three times now, and found it to be a very dark story, a very sad story... but that's not why I gave it only three stars. I can get into dark, sad stories. The story of the murder of Father Flores is generally a good one, with lots of depth. There is, however, less of the typical happy interaction In Death fans love among our favorite cast of characters, and what there is tends toward the heavier side. Even this, though, I could accept, even appr
Laurie
So J.D. Robb is an alter ego of Nora Roberts the romance novelist, and seems almost as prolific as a vaguely sci-fi (the series "In Death" is set in the year 2060) detective novelist. The main character is a NY City cop, and her husband is a reformed criminal with a lovely Irish accent. Eve, the cop, is investigating a dramatic murder of a priest from poisoned communion wine, when she discovers a case of identity theft and a long ago gang war murder that is increasingly involved in the priest's ...more
Tamora Pierce
It's amazing--28 books; they've been married for most of them, and yet the sexual tension between Eve and Roark still works! I wish Roberts would teach her secret to TV writers so they would stop putting characters through weird stuff and multiple partners rather than maintain a working relationship with one partner (::coughandysipowitznypdbluecough::).

The plot covers the murders of two men of faith, one a priest, the other a roller who maid it big. There are all kinds of twists and turns for Ev
Lizabeth Tucker
Eve Dallas is back in a new full-length novel and I couldn't be happier. We start off with a Roman Catholic priest dying while consuming the wine and wafer during a funeral service. The investigation leads Eve into a world she barely knows and uncovers deeper mysteries than just the murder of a well-liked priest who wasn't one.

Just as Eve's investigation begins to focus more on the man's background as a motive for murder, another man of God is murdered. Are the two connected?

J.D. Robb, aka Nora
Christina Coad
Jan 27, 2013 Christina Coad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series I read. I actually didn't even know it was part of a series when I read it, but now I'm hooked. I'll admit I haven't read all of them (I don't care as much for the earlier ones where Eve seems so rude) but even though I've read many of them now this first one still has a special place in my heart.

It's not for everyone though, I gave it to my dad to read thinking he'd enjoy it as he usually likes police novels but he didn't even finish it. I'm thinking about f
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Well, I decided I needed something to help take my mind off the wait for the latest Kate Daniels series to come out... and, well, why not move along this epically long series (maybe, just maybe, I'll get to the end one of these days...)

I have to say, it was among one of the better books in the series. Over the series I've gotten kind of passive and just *meh* about Dallas and her past childhood with her father; it's just another back story after 25+ books in the series. But this one... I actuall
Patricia
Dec 27, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable read! It's another murder mystery, and I immediately liked the murdered priest. As I learned more and more about his life, I began seeing him in a very different light, yet for some reason I still liked him! The truth about him and everyone else comes out in the end. Whatever you think about him, he didn't deserve to be murdered. It's a good read if you enjoy murder mysteries.
Callyson
I was actually a little disappointed in Salvation. I love JD Robb books more than just about anything, but this one didn't live up to the others for me. There was a lot less action and Eve's life was never really in danger. It didn't seem like this was a case up to Dallas standards.

In addition there was hardly any mention of my favorite recurring characters. There was very minimal interaction with Feeny, Mavis, Nadine, Dickhead. Rather disappointing. At least the foundation was consistent and th
Jan C
Jul 16, 2009 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I haven't really figured out why I like these books.

They are stupid, light, quick and all the same. Well, maybe this was a little different. Here, we have an ex-gangsta type who had plastic surgery and masqueraded as a priest for five years while waiting. What was he waiting for?

But, as I said, they are quick reads for the commute or during lunch, etc.

And I would never pick up one of her books under Norah Roberts. This one barely even mentions Roberts, doesn't even mention her books, unless the
Lyndi
Feb 25, 2016 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisty turvy plot that somehow all made sense in the end. I think.
Jennifer Lazareck
A good read. A few plot twists and a solid ending.
J.D. Robb : Salvation in Death (Spoiler Zone) 41 110 Jan 27, 2015 09:35AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
133 likes
“Statues are too much like dolls, and dolls are creepy. You keep expecting them to blink. And the ones that smile, like this?" Eve kept her lips tight together and she curved them up. "You know they've got teeth in there. Big, sharp, shiny teeth."

I didn't. But now I've got to worry about it.”
105 likes