Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)

Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)

Following Sterling's spectacularly successful launch of its children's classic novels (240,000 books in print to date), comes a dazzling new series: " Classic Starts." The stories are abridged; the quality is complete. "Classic Starts" treats the world's beloved tales (and children) with the respect they deserve--all at an incomparable price.
Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic
Hardcover, (Classic Starts Series), Abridged, 153 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne of Green Gables

Margitte
A much enjoyed reread of one of the best books from my youth.

Who cannot love this classic who made a dedicated book lover out of me? It was a joy to reconnect.

I don't want to say much. Those who take reading seriously, will know where I come from in my thoughts.
Elyse
Nov 26, 2014 Elyse rated it it was amazing
I smiled when I saw a GR's friend re-read this book!

Aw......"memories-with-my-daughters": Good times!
Rachael
Jan 02, 2015 Rachael rated it really liked it
Great read with my 9 year old! We liked discussing pioneer days and comparing it to present day.
Adrianna
This is one of my favorite books to read. It's a great one to go back to.
Joyce
Oct 29, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it
"don't give up on all your romance, anne. a little of it is a good thing— not too much, of course— but keep a little of it"
Melissa Namba
Oct 14, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
although I have not liked other books in this series, I have to say that this one was actually very good. I am now willing to reread the full Anne of green gables. I hated as a child, but I think it may have been because I watched the show first and hated the Anne character. so when I read the book, Anne was always Megan Follows. which killed the book for me. the Anne in this book is very sweet and well intentioned. she isn't standoffish or haughty in the same way that the tv character was. ...more
Teressa Harp
Sep 13, 2011 Teressa Harp rated it really liked it
The protagonist in the story is Anne. The antagionist is Gilibert.The setting of the story is in Green Gables.
The plot of the story is about a girl nammed Anne she is a orphan. There is also a old cupple that need an orphan boy so mrs. Rachel sent the orphan they wanted, but it was not a boy it was Anne.When Matthew when to go get the orphan he realised it was a girl not a boy he was so supprised.On the way home Anne would not stop talking Matthew liked that though because he dosen't talk a lot,
Jen
Aug 01, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-w-kids
MA and I finished Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts) at bedtime yesterday. Note that this is an abridged adaptation from the original book that is for younger kids. For this purpose it's pretty good - my 5 year old enjoyed the story and was excited to have accomplished a chapter book with no pictures (with Mama reading to her).

It gets only 3 stars because the abridgment is slightly choppy in the later chapters.
Carrie
Apr 10, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I don't know how I lived through my childhood without ever reading this series. This is such a sweet, wholesome story. I recommend it to all youngsters, especially girls who have a "romantic" imagination. I am thankful to me dear friend, Lynette, for recommending this series to me. (Note: this book is available as a free download for e-readers from gutenberg.org.)
Becky F.
May 28, 2016 Becky F. rated it it was amazing
This was a good abridgment of the original book. Of course, it cut many details to fit within 150 pages, but the main points of the story were all there. Anne's character is still as lovable and spunky in this shortened version. Our children loved Anne and I'm sure they will love reading the full novel in the future.
Kaijsa
Nov 03, 2013 Kaijsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: natalie-s-shelf
This review was written by Natalie, age 6: I liked this book. I liked that they let her stay at Green Gables. I didn't like that Mathew died because it was sad. My favorite character was Anne and I liked her friend Diana.
Emily
Apr 22, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young at hearts, empathetics who like entertaining books
Recommended to Emily by: PBS
Actually, didn't read this version, but love the tale, and am five star looking forward to 'one day' enjoying this re-tell. I re-learned that I just enjoy a good story, with warm characters, portrayed in fun and kind lights.
Brinkley
Aug 16, 2012 Brinkley rated it liked it
It was exactly like the movie. I was expecting a few quotes from the movie to be in there, but besides that it was good.
Tiana Warner
Sep 06, 2016 Tiana Warner rated it it was ok
I know Anne is supposed to be charming and loveable, but I found her annoying! Maybe if I'd read it as a kid it would've been better.
Kaetlyn
Jan 13, 2016 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Anne lives in a beautiful house. She loves to play with Daina. She loves to read. She helped Daina's little sister from being really sick. She is good at helping people.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
It was a reread ... Still love it but I've kind of outgrown it. I used to call it a 5-star read. Now it's a 4.
CrowEye
Apr 05, 2016 CrowEye rated it it was amazing
Have to admit I don't cry very much when it comes to reading but this made me cry ever so much (Anne's way of talking :P). I wish I had Anne's personality.
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! I have always loved the pioneer days, and this book is like a dream come true for me. I give this book 5 star's because I was so intrigued by this book.
Anette S
Anette S rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Jennifer Quijano
Jennifer Quijano rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Michelle Norton
Michelle Norton rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Sherrill Scott
Sherrill Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Gabriele
Gabriele rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Alice Gibson
Alice Gibson rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Kacey
Kacey rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Anna Carter
Anna Carter rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Joan Kelley
Joan Kelley rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Brielle
Brielle rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Natta0021
Natta0021 rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
  • Pinocchio (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Secret Garden (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Call of the Wild
  • Heidi (Classic Starts Series)
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Kathleen Olmstead is the author of several Classic Starts books, including Anne of Avonlea and Moby Dick, as well as Jacques Cousteau: A Life Under the Sea and Matthew Henson: The Quest for the North Pole, both in the Sterling Biographies series.
More about Kathleen Olmstead...

Classic Starts (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • Animal Stories (Classic Starts Series)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Classic Start Series)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • Around the World in 80 Days