Start by marking “The Tale of Pigling Bland” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Pigling Bland

The Tale of Pigling Bland (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  32 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Pigling Bland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Pigling Bland

If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe NumeroffThe True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaOlivia by Ian FalconerThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Picture Books About Pigs
12th out of 142 books — 77 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë1984 by George Orwell
Best British and Irish Literature
398th out of 778 books — 812 voters

More lists with this book...

PenNPaper52
Beatrix Potter's yarns for children are somethings quite endearing, while at other times they can get quite boring and preachy. This is one very good example. Its about Pigling Bland who along with his brother is sent to the market with his papers pinned, but along the way his brother loses his papers and then they are caught by the police. The police then takes his brother home leaving Pigling Bland to go to the market on his own. While on his way, he discovers his brother's papers among his ow ...more
Elaine
Waaaahhhh!! Very cute pigs! The names tho Cross-patch, Suck-suck, Yock-yock and Spot for the lady pigs and Alexander, Pigling Bland, Chin-Chin and Stumpy for the boys! Hihi I love Pigling Bland, he is so nice and kind.
Matt Schumann
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if those anamorphic animals in a children's story lived with humans who still cared to eat them even though they could talk? This is such a book. The subtle overtones of government oppression and longing for a freer society were also evident. I no longer know if this is a kids book or not but I know I never plan to read it again.

Also the version I had was missing the first 14 pages for some reason. Looked like it was printed that way?
Just Me
Dec 31, 2014 Just Me rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People that like pigs
Although I haven't read this one in years, I remember I'd always reach for this one again and again from my Beatrix Potter set. The illustrations were so appealing.
Alicia
This one also seemed to flow a bit awkwardly. I could have broken the reading up into two nights, Evelyn was getting a bit antsy toward the end.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One.

Pig licenses? Really?

Despite loving the name of Pigling Bland, his tale was awkward. The plot was disjointed and the ending too sudden and abrupt.
Eliza
Sep 18, 2008 Eliza rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peter Rabbit lovers
Shelves: picture-book
from her mom:

This little book has been Eliza's favorite bedtime story throughout September (2008). Her dad has read it to her 20+ times, so she has large chunks of the text memorized now.

I have only read it once, and all I can remember is that it's about Pigling Bland, who is tossed out of the farm by his mother to go earn a living at market; there begins his adventure. This is one of the longer Beatrix Potter stories - somewhere between the length of a typical picture book and a beginning chap
Kaethe
I don't know why this one stands out in my mind, except that I dearly love the name "Pigling Bland."
Kathryn
This was not one of my favorites. I do love the names of the characters - Aunt Pettitoes and her little girl pigs Cross-patch, Suck-suck, Yock-yock and Spot and her four little boy pigs Alexander, Pigling Bland, Chin-chin and Stumpy....
Linda K
One of her longer stories, this one concerns a mother pig with too many piglets and sends many out into the world on their own. The story tells of the adventures of mainly two of them.

Miss Potter's introduction of more complicated words into children's stories makes her stories well worthy reading.

All the Potter books are endearing, and this one is no exception.
Jake
Aug 25, 2008 Jake added it
from Jake's mom:

wow, I wasn't expecting this book to be as long as it was! I thought we'd have just a quick, short little bedtime tale like a lot of the other little Potter books. Yeah . . . not so much.

It was also a little hard to read . . . like the first time you read Jane Austen and you're sitting there going "Uh, what?"
A Pearson
This little piggy went to market, this little piggy didn't get there and rescued another pig ... What happened next? I guess we'll never know. Too much of an abrupt ending, I get the notion of leaving the reader wanting more but there is no sequel to this book so I must live my life without ever finding out ...
jacky
This one was okay. It was on the longer side and it had a real plot, unlike some of the other ones which are more a snapshot of a moment or getting to know a character. The trouble was that I didn't find the plot all that exciting. I especially didn't like the beginning before Pigling set out.
Bella
I really enjoy Beatrix Potter and her books. I think they're so lovely and just beautiful. I would love to have the entire collection so i could read them whenever i just want to have a break from adult books.
Sam
A longer tale telling of Pigling Bland as he sets off to market and ends up rescuing another pig from a not so pleasant farmer. Still beautifully written and illustrated, this story will appeal to readers of all ages
Kelly
this is about a pig and singing pig and a great escape!!
and there are a lot of GREAT names:
Pigling Bland, cross-patch, suck-suck, yock-yock, spot, alexander, chin-chin, stumpy, aunt pettitoes, and pig-wig.
Kim
Pigs go out in the world. One loses paperwork. Sets another pig free. The end.
VWrulesChick
Lovely little tales of truth for our impressionable generation through little stories of nature and animals. Lovely pictures, too!
Emkoshka
A picaresque, picturesque tale of a pig turned out of his family farm home to find his way to market. Along the way he finds a mate.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Um...so...yeah... not sure about this one. Pigs being stupid and indentured servants and needing papers to travel... all very weird.
Marte Patel
A sweet little tale of a pig going to market and ends up rescuing another pig. The ending was very abrupt - I want to know what happened!
Lili
Beatrix Potter was a magnificent children's story teller and the books passed down through generations are still loved today
Kirsty
I loved all of the Beatrix Potter books as a child, I used to take them out of the library over and over again!
Rachael
I just thought that the ending left some things a little unresolved. Maybe that was the point, but I don't know.
Gail
This one was a little too long for my almost three year old, but we will revisit it later and rerate it.
Skylar Burris
This one is just a bit too long and outdated for my daughter to follow well.
John Yelverton
Another fun and delightful book from the mind of Beatrix Potter.
Jenn
Piggy finds his true love after a series of misadventures.
  • Winter Story
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Where's Waldo? In Hollywood
  • Mr. Happy (Mr. Men, #3)
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Town
  • A Green, Green Garden
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • The Quicksand Pony
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny