Start by marking “The Story of Miss Moppet ” as Want to Read:
The Story of Miss Moppet

The Story of Miss Moppet (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  997 ratings  ·  53 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Miss Moppet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Miss Moppet

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
171st out of 890 books — 437 voters
The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix Potter
Beatrix Potter
14th out of 28 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Biena (The Library Mistress)
Reminded me of Tom and Jerry. Haha.
Squeakyoak
Digital Book for iPad and iPhone in new Immersive format!
This book comes alive with sound and zestfully ingenious interactivity!
You can read about book here: http://squeakyoak.com/en/books/miss-m...
Link to English version on App Store:
Danielle
Apr 04, 2011 Danielle is currently reading it
Currently reading this book with one of my students. She loves it but we've only gotten through about 4 pages. We only have about 10 minutes to read. Looking forward to finishing it!
Linda
I read the Potter books to my children at bedtime years ago. Planning a trip to her home this year, I'm revisiting the tales. I fell asleep reading this, proving that they're STILL great bedtime stories. This one is short and to the point. Sometimes the little guy wins.
Windy A. Alicia
Yang ini seru, saling mengelabui. Paling lucu itu pas si tikus dibungkus pakai kain lap dan dijadiin bola. PESAN : Hati-hati, jangan ceroboh. Lubang yang memerangkap tikus juga merupakan lubang yang membebaskannya.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
B-zee
Yang ini lucu dan sederhana. Cerita dan pesan moralnya ga muluk-muluk, tapi menurutku keren dan menggambarkan kehidupan banget. We always have difficulty to know which side to choose.
Kathryn
Simple and fun. I just may name my next kitty, whenever that may be Miss Moppet.
Jeffrey
Fluff from start to finish but so frothy - Miss Moppet is such a little bratsicle!
Natasha
This is another of the really simple Beatrix Potter stories about a kitten named Miss Moppet who tries to catch a mouse.

Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection.

Very reminiscent of Tom and Jerry.
Julia Rai
Such a cute book and I have fond memories of it as a small child.
Jazz
A hilarious predecessor of Tom and Jerry.
AJ
TREES OF REVERIE 72 HR READATHON JANUARY 2015: BOOK #3

A very short story but still quite charming.
jacky
What a cute kitten! Like A Fierce Bad Rabbit, the writing in this one was for readers who are a little younger so the style was very different from most of the books and more like the children books I'm used to. I liked how the kitten played with her food, like cats do, but also how she learned her lesson about two wrongs don't make a right. (Although, the mouse didn't learn anything).
Saashya Rodrigo
I am not a fan of cats- I'm more of a dog person. I think this book pushed that dislike a little :) The cat is mean!!! But it's still a cute book. I remember laughing when Miss Moppet lost the mouse because she forgot about the hole. It's a fun bedtime story I think. Short, not too heavy, but still fun!
Robert
Beatrix Potter was a wonderful writer. What a fun tale! One can just imagine the creators of Tom and Jerry having read this as children.

It is the classic cat and mouse tale. The mouse teases the cat, the cat returns the favor. Except she finds out the mouse has fooled her.
Young Napoleon
I think I might have an abridged version (a concept that baffles me). Mine is only 29 pages long, & seems to make little sense as a story. Art is kinda cute, but Jesus, I hope there is a real version. Because this is easily one of the worst book's I've ever read in my life.
Allyson Foster
My son (24months) and I loved this one! It is very funny. Miss moppet, the kitten, tries to catch a mouse. When she is successful she plays with it roughly (as is her kitty nature) but then it escapes and mocks her! A great little introduction into Beatrix Potter.
Prashant
This is a typical Tom and Jerry story with the old cuter version of the mouse and the nastier one of the kitten.

THE Classic One
Sam
A beautifully quaint story telling of a battle of wits between a cat named Miss Moppet and a mouse who manages to outwit her time and again. Superbly written with beautiful illustrations that will appeal to readers of all ages.
Bella
I really enjoy Beatrix Potter and her books. I think they're so lovely and just beautiful. I would love to have the entire collection so i could read them whenever i just want to have a break from adult books.
Polly
I can't actually remember if I ever encountered this as a child. It's very short and simple, and like The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit, I assume it's meant for younger children than is the average Beatrix Potter story.
Sue
As precious as every other Potter book. This is the story of Miss Moppet a kitten who tries to cat the mouse that is teasing her. She catches the mouse in her scarf, but when she looks he’s gone. What happened?
Emkoshka
A cat and mouse play a game of ... well, cat and mouse. The mouse outsmarts the cat, not once but twice, and then does a jig. This story needed a touch of naughty rabbit.
Steph
A Tom-and-Jerry-type of story involving cat and mouse antics. Well, more specifically, a little kitten and a very intelligent mouse. A very cute and quick read.
John
Yet another book bought as part of a boxed set for my eldests Christening many years ago... this book, along with the others, was a firm favourite of both my children.
elissa
Has one of my favorite Beatrix Potter illustrations in it (Miss Moppet holding a cloth and looking out at the reader). One of the shorter Potter stories.
VWrulesChick
Lovely little tales of truth for our impressionable generation through little stories of nature and animals. Lovely pictures, too!
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
  • Marshmallow
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Comet's Nine Lives
  • The Siege of White Deer Park (Farthing Wood, #5)
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Town
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • 100 More Easy Recipes in Jars
  • Dandelion
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Julius
  • The Color Kittens
  • My Goodnight Book
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny