Start by marking “The Death of Conservatism” as Want to Read:
The Death of Conservatism

The Death of Conservatism

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Sam Tanenhaus’s essay “Conservatism Is Dead” prompted intense discussion and debate when it was published in The New Republic in the first days of Barack Obama’s presidency. Now Tanenhaus, a leading authority on modern politics, has expanded his argument into a sweeping history of the American conservative movement. For seventy-five years, he argues, the Right has been spl ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Random House (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Conservatism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Conservatism

brian
the world seems to want to order itself bilaterally. nature, that unfeeling uncaring wench, seems to have a thing for it. physically we have two arms, two eyes, two hands, two testicles, two breasts, etc... and we mostly organize ourselves into bilateral groupings: liberal/conservative, republican/democrat, capitalist/communist, etc... there's a mystical component to numbers (albeit, usually overblown by religinuts and new-age morons) just as there's a mystical component to symmetry. and that th ...more
Todd Martin
The Death of Conservatism is what passes for an intellectual effort in some circles. Basically it consists of an endless series of quotes from other sources lightly strung together with some connecting verbiage. Here’s a typical paragraph:

What America needed, Kristol proposed, was a renewed “national purpose” that could overcome “the ideological barrenness of the liberal and conservative creeds”. Later in the decade, Kristol expanded this argument, urging Republicans to give “comprehensive thoug
Anna Murray
This is surely one of the most ridiculous books that I've read in a long time. It's only redeeming quality was in the few pages it spent reviewing history. Other than that, the whole proposition of the book is silly; to wit, the Conservative party is dead in America unless they become more like the Democrats. Values and visions are not to be maintained, but rather, should flow and change with the desires of the populace, whatever those desires might be. Forget about giving people real choices in ...more
Zack
My curiosity about this book stemmed from its pointed, provocative title, and the willingness to give it a chance. I knew or assumed that Tanenhaus could not possibly have been as naive to believe that the election of Obama was a definitive repudiation of conservatism, given the seemingly uphill battle the administration has had almost since beginning office against a Congress that its own party ostensibly dominated for two years. Having first published the book in 2009 (I read a 2010 edition wi ...more
Leonard Woods
This book is a complete waste of time. Like Todd's excellent reviews mentions, it's basically a masturbatory exercise for the literary class on one of their favorite topics - how stupid people who disagree with them are.

The basic argument is that Conservatives abandoned Tanenhaus's interpretation of Edmund Burke, and so modern Conservatives aren't really Conservatives. This is because modern Conservatives (i.e. not of the vein Tanenhaus likes) don't believe government should grow and do too muc
Eric
I should probably own a copy of this so that I can take the high ground and note that my taxes aren't paying for recreation. But, I did borrow it from the library - the down side is that it won't likely remain available there for as long as it should - conservatism keeps dying over and over again, and I need to keep up on its latest death spiral. It reads easily, and summarizes a good chunk of relevant political history. I do think at times that far too many people blur the line between conserva ...more
Esteban del Mal
Always was a sucker for a good title.
Elliot Ratzman
This book is an overrated, muddled gesture, widely reviewed and somewhat discussed but practically outdated. Here is Tanenhaus’s picture: there is Classical Conservatism (Edmund Burke, Disraeli) and there is this new-fangled Movement Conservatism (Barry Goldwater to the Tea Party). Classical is moderate and good—exemplified by Eisenhower and, gasp! Bill Clinton; Movement is radical and bad—see Reagan and Palin. The story is too convenient and sweeping to be accurate. He also complicates the pict ...more
Richard
Sam Tanenhaus, editor of the New York Times Book Review, is well known for his writings on conservative politics. He is the author of "Whittaker Chambers: A Biography" and of an equally-exhaustive forthcoming biography of William Buckley. This book is sandwiched between those. It was first published in 2009, in the wake of Barack Obama's stunning ascendancy of the Presidency; it was updated with an Epilogue from the author in 2010.

This is a brief, concise history of conservatism. Tanenbaus takes
Den
The title of this short, but densely written, book may seem like wishful thinking in the hindsight of last month's election results. I'm always skeptical whenever someone declares a particular movement "dead'. In this case, Tanenhaus covers the history of the conservative movement from the New Deal Era to the present. Skimming through the decades, he describes how movement conservatism went from opposition to the liberalism to dominating the political discourse in the past thirty years. The "dea ...more
Harsha Sekar
Tanenhaus's slender book frequently favors platitudes over substance--he offers very little hard evidence, empirical or qualitative, for why conservatism has "died," but rather frequently and often annoyingly name drops various commentators and introduces arbitrary quotations from the likes of Gary Wills in a confusing attempt to advance his titular claim. I finished this book shortly after the 2008 election, and in hindsight, Tanenhaus's prognosis is of course way off, as movement conservatism ...more
matt
A slim diatribe that took me an embarrassingly long time to get through, The Death of Conservatism makes the semi-convincing case that the abandonment of true Burkean conservative principles has left the New Right, with its hot-air demagoguery, estranged from the American populace. Though the Bill Owens and Doug Hoffman debacle speaks to that very point, Tanenhaus' skeletal outline asserting that revanchist Republicans ignoring the conservative electorate has led to the 'death' of its title is p ...more
Krishan
An excellent short essay tracing the intellectual history of movement conservatism, from its origins as a political philosophy developed by disillusioned ex-Trotskyists (Whitaker Chambers, James Burnham etc.), to the American conservative movement founded by their students (W.F. Buckley, Russell Kirk) to its success in the 70's and 80's as a governing philosophy, and finally to its spectacular implosion during the Bush administration.
This book is important because it shows us how a political m
William
Very short book, which is actually mostly taken up recounting the rise of conservatism. But this is probably because it is harder for a reader today to understand why conservatism rose at all, than why it has fallen. Tanenhaus eventually says the conservative movement is what has died, and the reason is that America itself has become conservative. So, really, conservatism is somewhat ascendant, and it is merely the conservative movement that is dead.

I think the book gives much too little discuss
Joseph Stieb
A solid critique of the decline of the conservative movement since the New Deal. Tannenhaus portrays the history of political and intellectual conservatives, dividing the movement into the purist "movement" camp and the "consensus" camp. He pushes for conservatism to stop being a government-destroying, revanchist movement and become a more reasonable opposition movement to liberalism. He looks at Burke and Disraeli, both conservatives who made key corrections and found consensus with more progre ...more
Josh Zeringue
At first I hated this book because I disagreed with the author's political philosophy and his solutions for the decay of American conservatism.

But upon reflection, I realized there is much of value in the author's criticisms of modern conservatism. It is indeed a movement fundamentally defined by revanchism. This cannot be stressed enough!

The solution, however, is not a Republican Party that looks more like the Democrat Party. The solution is to reject Hannity, Beck, Coulter, Palin, Romney, etc
David
I learned a lot reading this book, though I'm not really sure I buy the argument for any number of reasons. On the other hand, it's kind of a compelling thesis that is sympathetic to the conservative movement despite the author's probable antipathy towards conservationism. I think, despite what's coming in November, the idea that conservatism as we know it is in ruins is pretty compelling. The right might win a lot of seats, but can they govern?

An index would be very handy for this one.
Rachel Weis
This well written little book on the history and current state of conservatism in the US is a timely read. I especially appreciated the non-partisan view points presented with clear accurate facts. Everyone interested in American politics should read this, regardless of ideology. As a matter of fact, this book denounces ideologies in general and promotes working to improve the current state at a fact based level. Very refreshing and unlike the media hype we are fed 24/7.
Adam
Really a book-length essay collection by a neighbor and fellow journalist colleague, but there's nothing light-weight about it. It really opened my eyes to the "true" conservatism, which has little to do with the reactionary turf you usually associate the label with. A deeply cogent argument about why we need political engagement among those with differing views. Well done, and highly recommended if you want to understand American politics today.
Matt
It doesn't quite prove its title's claim that movement conservatism has died, but Tanenhaus provides a great overview of the ebb and flow of conservatism in America. He especially nails the tension between classical conservatism and movement conservatism. At roughly 120 pages, it's a quick read and certainly worth your time if you're interested in the subject.
Denis Kaufman
Very good review of American conservatism over the last century, and of the crucial differences between classical conservatism (which is conservative) and "movement" conservatism (which is anything but conservative). Also a fair warning of the dangers that waning (classical) conservatism portends for liberalism in America.
Superfluous Man
While his conclusions are no doubt uncongenial to contemporary conservatives, Mr. Tanenhaus has produced a noteworthy critique of the Grand Old Party and, more broadly, the “Conservative Movement.” My full review is available here.
Pjtibbetts
I saw Tanenhaus on Bill Moyers, he had some thoughtful things to say, figured I'd give his book a crack. It's good stuff - not quite the fire-breathing left-wing rhetoric you'd expect based on the title. Rather, it's a calmly-told history of the conservative movement from the New Deal onward.
Kevin
I read this short book when it came out a couple of years ago and then against over the last two days. The election only confirmed what Tanenhaus wrote. I wish that my all of my conservative friends would read this instead of listening to Rush and Hannity.
Pat
More of an essay than a book. Not very compelling reading, but a good overall summary of conservatism over the past 80 years. Most definitely written subjectively from a left-center perspective, the title reflects more of the writer's hope than the reality.
Kevin Kosar
A cacophony of voices have taken up the topic of “what’s wrong with the right?” Sam Tanenhaus, editor of the New York Times Book Review, has written an engaging book on the subject...(read more)
arieswym
Started off dense but last two thirds flew by. Lays out very clear examples of conservatives demonstrating similar behavior to what we currently see against President Obama. And these examples go back to FDR, so it's not a new phenomenon.
Truck Smith
Good analysis of the way what he calls 'movement' conservatives strayed from, redefined conservatism during the past thirty years. Cautionary tale for liberals. Ultimately power and/or the pursuit of power corrupts.
Amy Drew
Feb 04, 2010 Amy Drew marked it as to-read
my mom has been pushing this on me for a few months, so I guess I'll have to read it despite my overwhelming cynicism/political burnout. I can't even watch rachel maddow anymore! damn you, moms.
Sean Chick
A very thoughtful book that is unfortunately mistitled. If anything it is about how conservatives have lost their way in a nation that is becoming conservative in the Burke tradition.
  • The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
  • Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth About the American Voter
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • The Rise and Fall of Communism
  • Frost/Nixon: Behind the Scenes of the Nixon Interviews
  • Moyers on Democracy
  • Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • The Flight of the Intellectuals
  • The United States of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy
  • The Politics of American Religious Identity: The Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle
  • The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin
  • Common Nonsense: Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance
  • Renegade: The Making of a President
Sam Tanenhaus is the editor of both The New York Times Book Review and the Week in Review section of the Times. From 1999 to 2004 he was a contributing editor at Vanity Fair, where he wrote often on politics.

His work has also appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New Republic, The New York Review of Books, and many other publications. Tanenhaus’s previous book, Whittaker Chambers: A Biogra
More about Sam Tanenhaus...
Whittaker Chambers Literature Unbound Louis Armstrong Kentucky Basketball Black Americans of Achievement