Start by marking “God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi ” as Want to Read:
God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi

God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi

This warm, richly detailed biography brings the beloved saint alive in all his human and profoundly spiritual dimensions.
Published September 2nd 1987 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about God's Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Fool

Padraic
May 23, 2008 Padraic rated it it was amazing
I was in the middle of much religious turbulence when I read this book back in the 1980s. But its presentation of this most appealling of Christianity's saints was just what I needed at the time. Francis comes across not as someone telling you what to think, but as someone who keeps walking with you and pointing out the common beauty of the created world. To shun him would feel like a blind man kicking his guide dog.
Chris
Aug 29, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
this is a good follow-up to claiborne's book, since francis is one of his faith heros. but it's also just a masterful work of literature. it's easily the best-written book i've experienced in a long time. the last thing i wanted was a dry account of the facts of francis's life; i wanted a poet to tell me the story, and green has more than fulfilled that desire. but in addition to achingly beautiful prose i've found that nearly every page is decorated with brilliant insights, which seem to origin ...more
Jennifer Collins
In intermingling biography and lore, culture and history, and sympathy with academic examination, Green accomplished a beautiful and impressive biography of Francis of Assisi. In short straight-forward chapters, Green examines Francis' short life, from beginning to end, bringing to life the world he lived in at the beginning of the thirteenth century. The end result is a beautiful examination of a man and his belief--not only in God, but in the wonder of the world around him and in the goodness ...more
Donovan Martin
Dec 19, 2016 Donovan Martin rated it really liked it
I have had a fascination with Francis of Assisi for some time and have only read a few articles that refer to him or those that follow him.
I found this book insightful and have a little better understanding of Francis. I find his desire to serve only Christ and to live in poverty a real challenge. The simplicity of his life was anything but simple.
The book's format was extremely helpful. Most chapters are small bite size portions of the larger picture of Francis. It was easy to read at a slow
Amy Moritz
Jan 31, 2016 Amy Moritz rated it liked it
With Ash Wednesday approaching, I was drawn to pick up this biography of St. Francis off my bookshelf. It's been on my "to-read" list since I was accepted to St. Bonaventure University (now about a million years ago) when I received from the Office of Admissions "The St. Bonaventure 39" - a list of suggested reading, both fiction and non-fiction, compiled by the university faculty. I've long wanted to read all the books on the list and thought of dedicating a year to trying just that. But there' ...more
Melanie
Apr 10, 2008 Melanie rated it liked it
I read this the same summer I read An Arrow Pointing to Heaven, a biography of Rich Mullins that made me curious to learn more about St. Francis of Assisi, who had so profoundly influenced him.

A favorite part:
But what in the world did Francis have to fear? Without a word he tore off his clothes in hot haste and threw them, one item after another, at his father's feet--everything including his breeches, and, to top it off, the damned purse that he had simply brought with him, hidden in one of his
BJ Rose
Apr 24, 2009 BJ Rose rated it really liked it
Many biographers fill their books with lots of dry details that sometimes make the biography a boring read. Not so here - the author converted to Catholicism as an adult, and fell in love with the ideals and goals of Francis of Assisi. He writes the results of his research/pilgrimage of Francis' life in a series of short vignettes, as if he were having a conversation with the reader.
Kim Counts
Feb 14, 2015 Kim Counts rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! I found the chapters accessible and well written, and the author to have done his very best to separate truth from legend. I came away with a much deeper portrait of the saint than just the man who preached to the birds and tamed a wolf.
Jill
Nov 04, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, biography
I read this slowly, but enjoyed watching the spiritual growth of one of the most well known saints in our day. I knew so little about this man. Green does an excellent job researching St. Francis' life and reports it in such a reader friendly way.
J. Alfred
Jun 27, 2012 J. Alfred rated it really liked it
Saint Francis is sort of a hobby of mine-- he's one of the great characters, so to speak, in all of Christian history. This book is a poetically written account of his life which nevertheless attempts to be scholastically conclusive.
Joey
May 19, 2016 Joey rated it really liked it
I don't often find myself so emotionally attached to biographies, but this one struck me. The graceful and simple language of the author does more for St. Francis's legacy than all the garden statues on earth.
Franklin Tait
Franklin Tait rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Mark
Sep 18, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
One of my fav's of all time!
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2008
January Carroll
January Carroll rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2010
Roberto
Roberto rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Ken Root
Ken Root rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Laura Sorrells
Laura Sorrells rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
Fredr
Fredr rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
J
J rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
JF at  SustainableTraditions
JF at SustainableTraditions rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Catherine Dumont
ok maybe a weird book to bring along on a trip to Havana!
Margie Zylstra
Margie Zylstra rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Tim Hoiland
Tim Hoiland rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2009
Stasha
Stasha rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
  • The Big Book of Martyrs
  • Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Ramakrishna and His Disciples
  • The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution
  • Jesus: A New Vision: Spirit, Culture, and the Life of Discipleship
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • Reluctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • An Infinity of Little Hours: Five Young Men and Their Trial of Faith in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order
  • Place, Not Race: A New Vision of Opportunity in America
  • Considering Hate: Violence, Goodness, and Justice in American Culture and Politics
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • Handbook on Counseling Youth
  • Lost Christiantiy
Julien Green was an American writer, who authored several novels, including Léviathan and Each in His Own Darkness. He wrote primarily in French.
More about Julien Green...