Start by marking “Milo Armadillo” as Want to Read:
Milo Armadillo

Milo Armadillo

Tallulah’s present is not what she asked for. And it’s not what the other kids have. Would she be better off without him?

Published December 22nd 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Milo Armadillo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milo Armadillo

Caroline
Feb 13, 2017 Caroline rated it really liked it
Summary: This book is about a girl who asks for a pink, fluffy bunny like her friends have, but her grandma made her a pink fluffy armadillo named Milo. Milo was smart, creative, adventurous, and a great listener, but Tallulah wasn't pleased at first because she wanted the toy that everyone else had. Milo comes to accept that he cannot change himself into becoming a rabbit unless he goes back to Tallulah's grandma's house and asks her to unravel him and turn him into a rabbit. On his way to her ...more
Emily Morgan
Feb 13, 2017 Emily Morgan rated it really liked it
The book Milo Armadillo by Jan Fearnley was a story about a girl who did not appreciate what she had right in front of her. Tallulah wanted a pink rabbit like everyone else, and although her pink armadillo was great at everything, she did not appreciate Milo like she should have. Finnally Milo did the only thing he thought he could, and tried to change himself to please her. Finally, Tallulah realized she only ever wanted a Milo, and from then on she realized he was the toy for her.

Theme: The s
Emily Pozzi
Feb 12, 2017 Emily Pozzi rated it it was amazing
It was almost Tallulah's birthday, and all she wanted was a pink fluffy rabbit. It was not easy though, to find a pink fluffy rabbit in the stores, so her Grandma had an idea that she would knit her a pink fluffy rabbit for her birthday. As grandma was knitting, she ran out of pink, so she added in scraps of other colors. She also got a bit tangled in her work, and did not have time to pull it all out and start again, so she kept knitting. When she had finished, she had made a pink, fluffy, arma ...more
Tasha
Feb 18, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tallulah wants a pink fluffy rabbit for her birthday. But it wasn’t easy to find a pink fluffy rabbit. They could find other pink stuffed animals, but not a rabbit. They could find rabbits, but not a pink one. Then her grandmother had a great idea! She would knit Tallulah one. She started with pink fluffy yarn, when she ran out she added other colors, and in the end she had created something very different from a pink fluffy rabbit. She had created Milo Armadillo. Tallulah was disappointed, but ...more
Angie
Feb 21, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "When no one can find a pink fluffy rabbit to buy for Tallulah on her birthday, Grandma gets creative with her knitting needles. But the surprise Tallulah lifts out of the box is not a rabbit, it’s a pink fluffy . . . thing, named Milo Armadillo. He’s athletic, musical, and great for sharing adventures, but Tallulah’s friends say he’s funny-looking. What can poor Milo do to make Tallulah happy? With humor, poignancy, and a nod to the out-of-the-ordinary, this sweet story shows that if ...more
Dec 29, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Mommas who knit will enjoy reading this story to their little ones. Tallulah really wants a pink fluffy rabbit but can't find one at the toy store or pet store. Her grandmother decides to knit a pink fluffy rabbit for her but the project goes just a bit awry and Tallulah ends up with a charming, hodgepodge armadillo named Milo instead. At first, Tallulah is disappointed with her armadillo but gradually comes to realize that she loves his unique and caring character. Just as Tallulah comes to val ...more
Danica Midlil
I'm not yet sure what to say about this one. I'm conflicted because I think I would have been disappointed to not get the rabbit TOO! The whole part of her friends all having the pink rabbits seems sort of tacked on. Apparently, we are supposed to be completely fine with her not getting what she asked her grandma to make just because there is peer pressure involved here? I don't know. I'm not convinced. I felt a little cheated when grandma can't be bothered to fix her knitting mistakes and then ...more
Miz Lizzie
Jan 13, 2010 Miz Lizzie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2-7 year olds and knitters
Talllulah wants a pink fluffly rabbit for her birthday. When this proves difficult to obtain her Grandma decides to knit her one. Unfortunately the knitting takes on a life of its own, in the shape of a cute, pink, fluffly Milo Armadillo. Tallulah is disappointed so Milo Armadillo does everything he can to make himself into the pink fluffy rabbit of her dreams. That's when Tallulah realizes that Milo Armadillo is exactly what she wants. A cute picture book that is especially enjoyable for the il ...more
Katie
Feb 13, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is really adorable, as Jan Fearnley's books tend to be.

Tallulah wants a fluffy pink rabbit like all her friends have. When one simply can't be found, Grandma decides to knit one, but she gets carried away and the end result is the adorable Milo Armadillo.

Tallulah and Milo have great fun together, but Tallulah can't shake the desire for a fluffy pink rabbit. That is, until Milo packs his bags and disappears.

This book has the "don't know what you've got till it's gone" message that's presen
Treasure
Mar 06, 2010 Treasure rated it really liked it
A sweet tale of little Milo, who was made by Tallulah's grandmother, even though little Tallulah really wanted a pink fluffy rabbit like her friends. Milo Armadillo tries his best to pleace Tallulah, but eventually gives up and heads to grandmother to ask her to unravel him and make him into the rabbit Tallulah wants. Tallulah misses Milo and realizes that what she really wants was right there all along, and races to save Milo in time. Will she make it?
A great story to help kids appreciate what
Jess Brown
Aw, I really liked this book! Although all Tallulah desperately wanted a fluffy pink bunny for her birthday, no one could find one! So grandma sits down to knit her something special which turns out to be a pink, fluffy...armadillo? Despite her initial disdain, Tallulah plays with the armadillo, all the while reminding him that bunnies can be this fun, too. The armadillo tries desperately to become a pink bunny, but nothing works. He leaves, sadly, and that's when Tallulah realizes how much she ...more
Gwen the Librarian
Jan 22, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Had I seen this book in 2009, it would have made my favorites list. It's a sweet story with adorable illustrations about a girl who wishes for a pink stuffed rabbit, but her grandma knits her a pink stuffed armadillo instead. While slightly embarassed, Tallulah is a well-mannered child and strives to love her new friend. Milo Armadillo hears all the snide things that are said about him, though, and runs away from home, leaving Tallulah to understand how much she wants him after all. I'm a fan of ...more
Alice
Dec 10, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This one hit me in a weird way, I don't know if I should rave, or if it is an okay. I love the knitting and yarn detail in the pictures. The story makes me a little sad. She wants a pink bunny but none are to be found so Grandma knits her once, but it turns out to be an armadillo. We all don't want to hurt our Grandmas feelings so we just say "Thanks I love it" A sweet story with nice pictures.
Shelli
Feb 07, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tallulah's birthday is fast approaching and all she desires is a pink, fluffy, rabbit. Only there appears to be no pink, fluffy, rabbits anywhere to speak of. Will Tallulah be happy with any other gift? (Spoiler) What I loved about this story what how she grew to love her rabbit substitute over time. Being happy with what we have and appreciating the efforts of others are qualities everyone needs reminded of.
MissInformation
Mar 19, 2010 MissInformation rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Tallulah wants a pink fluffy bunny, but cute pink Milo Armadillo arrives instead. Milo works as hard as he can to please her, but concludes she'd be happier if he had grandma re-knit his yarn into a bunny. Happily, Tallulah learns to appreciate him just in time.
Illustrated with lively colors, and cute characters. Milo won my heart too.
Kayla
Feb 15, 2011 Kayla rated it really liked it
My son's name is Milo, so of course we loved the title and cover right away. Jan Fearnley's illustrations are wonderfully whimsical and we're very fond of her books. I enjoyed the way this story highlights the importance of appreciating the differences in others, the things that make each of us unique.
Sandi Roe
Dec 27, 2013 Sandi Roe rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This is a wonderful story. Shows how sometimes, we get what we need instead of what we think we want. Milo is not the fluffy pink rabbit that Tallulah aksed her Grandmother to make. It turns out, he was even better!
Amanda
Very cute book and it includes knitting- double score! It's a nice story about being grateful for what you have despite their differences. The illustrations are mixed media with lots of woven and handknit fabrics.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Little girl would like a fluffy pink rabbit for her birthday...but grandma's knitting needles spin up something a bit different. A story that shares with children how sometimes things may not be as we desire yet they are exactly what we need.
Buxmont Uu
Aug 31, 2014 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: re-library, lsu
LSU 5
Irene
May 17, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book with the dont know what you've got until its gone moral for kids.

AND a knitting pattern so you can make your own interactive toy
Kelly
May 16, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Charlotte (my 3 year old) loved this book so much when we had it from the library that I ended up buying it for her just so we could take the library copy back!
Mckinley
Jul 31, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Wanted verse peer-pressure.
Molly
Aug 18, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
I love the look of this book.
Paula

When no one can find a pink, fluffy rabbit to give to Tallulah for her birthday, her grandmother knits her a pink, fluffy "thing" that they name Milo Armadillo, which proves to be a great present.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: damien
warm and fuzzy feelings
Tina Bartholoma
Apr 17, 2010 Tina Bartholoma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
pink stuffed animals, knitting, disappointed, wrong present
April
Feb 19, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-ideas
An absolutely precious book about a knitted armadillo and the little girl who learns to love him even if he's not a pink bunny. Would be good for a family storytime.
Jane
Jan 31, 2010 Jane added it
Charming illustrations incorporating photographs of knitting and yarn, which gives them great texture. Sweet story about coming to love someone even if they're not what you expected.
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014