Milo Armadillo

Milo Armadillo

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Tallulah’s present is not what she asked for. And it’s not what the other kids have. Would she be better off without him?

When no one can find a pink fluffy rabbit to buy for Tallulah on her birthday, Grandma gets creative with her knitting needles. But the surprise Tallulah lifts out of the box is not a rabbit, it’s a pink fluffy . . . thing, named Milo Armadillo. He’s ath...more
Published December 22nd 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Milo Armadillo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milo Armadillo

Angie
Synopsis: "When no one can find a pink fluffy rabbit to buy for Tallulah on her birthday, Grandma gets creative with her knitting needles. But the surprise Tallulah lifts out of the box is not a rabbit, it’s a pink fluffy . . . thing, named Milo Armadillo. He’s athletic, musical, and great for sharing adventures, but Tallulah’s friends say he’s funny-looking. What can poor Milo do to make Tallulah happy? With humor, poignancy, and a nod to the out-of-the-ordinary, this sweet story shows that if...more
Mommas who knit will enjoy reading this story to their little ones. Tallulah really wants a pink fluffy rabbit but can't find one at the toy store or pet store. Her grandmother decides to knit a pink fluffy rabbit for her but the project goes just a bit awry and Tallulah ends up with a charming, hodgepodge armadillo named Milo instead. At first, Tallulah is disappointed with her armadillo but gradually comes to realize that she loves his unique and caring character. Just as Tallulah comes to val...more
Tasha
Tallulah wants a pink fluffy rabbit for her birthday. But it wasn’t easy to find a pink fluffy rabbit. They could find other pink stuffed animals, but not a rabbit. They could find rabbits, but not a pink one. Then her grandmother had a great idea! She would knit Tallulah one. She started with pink fluffy yarn, when she ran out she added other colors, and in the end she had created something very different from a pink fluffy rabbit. She had created Milo Armadillo. Tallulah was disappointed, but...more
Katie
This is really adorable, as Jan Fearnley's books tend to be.

Tallulah wants a fluffy pink rabbit like all her friends have. When one simply can't be found, Grandma decides to knit one, but she gets carried away and the end result is the adorable Milo Armadillo.

Tallulah and Milo have great fun together, but Tallulah can't shake the desire for a fluffy pink rabbit. That is, until Milo packs his bags and disappears.

This book has the "don't know what you've got till it's gone" message that's presen...more
Danica Midlil
I'm not yet sure what to say about this one. I'm conflicted because I think I would have been disappointed to not get the rabbit TOO! The whole part of her friends all having the pink rabbits seems sort of tacked on. Apparently, we are supposed to be completely fine with her not getting what she asked her grandma to make just because there is peer pressure involved here? I don't know. I'm not convinced. I felt a little cheated when grandma can't be bothered to fix her knitting mistakes and then...more
Jess Brown
Aw, I really liked this book! Although all Tallulah desperately wanted a fluffy pink bunny for her birthday, no one could find one! So grandma sits down to knit her something special which turns out to be a pink, fluffy...armadillo? Despite her initial disdain, Tallulah plays with the armadillo, all the while reminding him that bunnies can be this fun, too. The armadillo tries desperately to become a pink bunny, but nothing works. He leaves, sadly, and that's when Tallulah realizes how much she...more
Miz Lizzie
Jan 13, 2010 Miz Lizzie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2-7 year olds and knitters
Talllulah wants a pink fluffly rabbit for her birthday. When this proves difficult to obtain her Grandma decides to knit her one. Unfortunately the knitting takes on a life of its own, in the shape of a cute, pink, fluffly Milo Armadillo. Tallulah is disappointed so Milo Armadillo does everything he can to make himself into the pink fluffy rabbit of her dreams. That's when Tallulah realizes that Milo Armadillo is exactly what she wants. A cute picture book that is especially enjoyable for the il...more
Treasure
A sweet tale of little Milo, who was made by Tallulah's grandmother, even though little Tallulah really wanted a pink fluffy rabbit like her friends. Milo Armadillo tries his best to pleace Tallulah, but eventually gives up and heads to grandmother to ask her to unravel him and make him into the rabbit Tallulah wants. Tallulah misses Milo and realizes that what she really wants was right there all along, and races to save Milo in time. Will she make it?
A great story to help kids appreciate what...more
Gwen the Librarian
Had I seen this book in 2009, it would have made my favorites list. It's a sweet story with adorable illustrations about a girl who wishes for a pink stuffed rabbit, but her grandma knits her a pink stuffed armadillo instead. While slightly embarassed, Tallulah is a well-mannered child and strives to love her new friend. Milo Armadillo hears all the snide things that are said about him, though, and runs away from home, leaving Tallulah to understand how much she wants him after all. I'm a fan of...more
Rachel
warm and fuzzy feelings
Mckinley
Wanted verse peer-pressure.
Shelli
Tallulah's birthday is fast approaching and all she desires is a pink, fluffy, rabbit. Only there appears to be no pink, fluffy, rabbits anywhere to speak of. Will Tallulah be happy with any other gift? (Spoiler) What I loved about this story what how she grew to love her rabbit substitute over time. Being happy with what we have and appreciating the efforts of others are qualities everyone needs reminded of.
MissInformation
Tallulah wants a pink fluffy bunny, but cute pink Milo Armadillo arrives instead. Milo works as hard as he can to please her, but concludes she'd be happier if he had grandma re-knit his yarn into a bunny. Happily, Tallulah learns to appreciate him just in time.
Illustrated with lively colors, and cute characters. Milo won my heart too.
Sandi Roe
This is a wonderful story. Shows how sometimes, we get what we need instead of what we think we want. Milo is not the fluffy pink rabbit that Tallulah aksed her Grandmother to make. It turns out, he was even better!
Kayla
My son's name is Milo, so of course we loved the title and cover right away. Jan Fearnley's illustrations are wonderfully whimsical and we're very fond of her books. I enjoyed the way this story highlights the importance of appreciating the differences in others, the things that make each of us unique.
Tricia
Little girl would like a fluffy pink rabbit for her birthday...but grandma's knitting needles spin up something a bit different. A story that shares with children how sometimes things may not be as we desire yet they are exactly what we need.
Amanda
Very cute book and it includes knitting- double score! It's a nice story about being grateful for what you have despite their differences. The illustrations are mixed media with lots of woven and handknit fabrics.
Paula

When no one can find a pink, fluffy rabbit to give to Tallulah for her birthday, her grandmother knits her a pink, fluffy "thing" that they name Milo Armadillo, which proves to be a great present.
Jane
Jan 31, 2010 Jane added it
Charming illustrations incorporating photographs of knitting and yarn, which gives them great texture. Sweet story about coming to love someone even if they're not what you expected.
Kelly
Charlotte (my 3 year old) loved this book so much when we had it from the library that I ended up buying it for her just so we could take the library copy back!
April
An absolutely precious book about a knitted armadillo and the little girl who learns to love him even if he's not a pink bunny. Would be good for a family storytime.
Tina
pink stuffed animals, knitting, disappointed, wrong present
Molly
I love the look of this book.
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 06, 2014
Sarah added it
Jul 10, 2014
Tiarna
Tiarna marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Ben Worth
Ben Worth marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Martha in the Middle Mr. Wolf's Pancakes Just Like You Watch Out! The Search for the Perfect Child