Start by marking “Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind” as Want to Read:
Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind

Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Many of us face daily demands and overwhelming difficulties that cause seemingly uncontrollable feelings of anxiety and fear. When you feel this way, it's healing to calm yourself and to reclaim your sense of innate goodness and well-being. For centuries, yoga has offered a quiet retreat away from life's pressures and has enabled us to reconnect to our inner wisdom and pea...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Anxiety

Janeen Paul
Wow, I can't say enough about this book. I will start by saying if you're looking for another yoga pose manual, this isn't it. Consider Relax and Renew by Judith Lasater for that. This book is a gold mine of yoga philosophy, interpreted in a way that is easy to understand and directly applied to anxiety and stress. That being said, anyone can benefit from this book. Who doesn't get stressed or overwhelmed, engage in negative self-talk, or feel down about themselves at times? This book offers sug...more
BooksAndTea
The book is not strictly yoga focused on anxiety, but it does seem to have some good tips and practices. The authors take a fairly approachable way of discussing what is anxiety, what it does to our bodies and what we can do to work through it. Sprinkled throughout the text are personal anecdotes, meditation/mindfulness practices and discussions of sheaths, chakras and other aspects of our minds and bodies.

Although this is, for me, is more of a reference to keep than to read through, I thought i...more
Siobhan
This book only loses a star because although being with your anxious and upset emotions is healthy there is a limit to how much this is effective. If a person is a survivor or child abuse or severe trauma for example then being with the emotions will be too much. There needs to be regulation of how much and how long a person is immersed in their feelings because if there isn't then it's too overwhelming and instead of it being a release it becomes a re traumatization even if the person says to t...more
Cara Patterson
Fluffy yoga philosophy. I thought it would focus more on yoga as exercise for soothing anxiety. Ordered it on my library's website; if I had actually flipped through it before starting to read it, I'm sure I would have realized it's not the book for me. It was short, though, so no big deal.

Contrast the section on "chakras" (energy centers in the body) with Lawrence LeShan's explanation of the problem with a lot of meditation teachers: they confuse metaphor and reality. No, there isn't actually...more
AnandaTashie
Nov 15, 2012 AnandaTashie added it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
Read bits and pieces of this, but it's written quite accessibly with mental / emotional / spiritual exercises, plus focus on breath, meditation, and simple yoga poses.

A couple of things I want to remember from the exercises:

- Explore your story of identity ("I am the kind of person who ___. I've always believed that I was ___. I describe myself as ___.")

- Remember unity experiences and profound connection experiences.
Chris
I think this book could have been condensed down to chapter 6 and 7. The first five chapters are filler material. Chapter 6 gives you the yoga poses. Chapter 7 gives you some meditation. For myself that was all I needed to read. I read all of the antidotes that make up the rest of the chapters in this book and found that they did not help relieve my stress, but rather added to it.
Jill
This was a great reference when I started yoga again after a car accident. I've had anxiety for a long time but it became fairly unmanageable after the accident. This book helped me to stop and breathe. It also had good exercises to lead me to let go of past thoughts and behaviors. I would highly recommend this book!!
Allie
Inaccurately named. There was only a smattering of yoga. That's not to say that there isn't valuable information and meditation practices, but that's not what I was looking for. Also there's a lot of pseudoscience which is the worst.
Teacatweaves
This book starts out as a slow read because of all the exercises up front. The real meat are the exercises and the guides to yoga techniques. Pick and choose what works for you!
Liser
Excellent insights into anxiety as well as some calming yoga moves. This book really helped me through a rough time and I would recommend it to anyone willing to be open minded.
AJ
AJ added it
Oct 19, 2014
Nichole Dowdle
Nichole Dowdle is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Jen W
Jen W is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 30, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Denika Clay
Denika Clay marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Angela Johnson
Angela Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Sarah Whittenburg
Sarah Whittenburg marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering Yoga Mind, Peaceful Mind: Simple Meditations for Overcoming Anxiety