Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind

Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Many of us face daily demands and overwhelming difficulties that cause seemingly uncontrollable feelings of anxiety and fear. When you feel this way, it's healing to calm yourself and to reclaim your sense of innate goodness and well-being. For centuries, yoga has offered a quiet retreat away from life's pressures and has enabled us to reconnect to our inner wisdom and pea...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by New Harbinger Publications

Janeen Paul
Wow, I can't say enough about this book. I will start by saying if you're looking for another yoga pose manual, this isn't it. Consider Relax and Renew by Judith Lasater for that. This book is a gold mine of yoga philosophy, interpreted in a way that is easy to understand and directly applied to anxiety and stress. That being said, anyone can benefit from this book. Who doesn't get stressed or overwhelmed, engage in negative self-talk, or feel down about themselves at times? This book offers sug...more
BooksAndTea
The book is not strictly yoga focused on anxiety, but it does seem to have some good tips and practices. The authors take a fairly approachable way of discussing what is anxiety, what it does to our bodies and what we can do to work through it. Sprinkled throughout the text are personal anecdotes, meditation/mindfulness practices and discussions of sheaths, chakras and other aspects of our minds and bodies.

Although this is, for me, is more of a reference to keep than to read through, I thought i...more
Cara Patterson
Fluffy yoga philosophy. I thought it would focus more on yoga as exercise for soothing anxiety. Ordered it on my library's website; if I had actually flipped through it before starting to read it, I'm sure I would have realized it's not the book for me. It was short, though, so no big deal.

Contrast the section on "chakras" (energy centers in the body) with Lawrence LeShan's explanation of the problem with a lot of meditation teachers: they confuse metaphor and reality. No, there isn't actually...more
AnandaTashie
Nov 15, 2012 AnandaTashie added it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
Read bits and pieces of this, but it's written quite accessibly with mental / emotional / spiritual exercises, plus focus on breath, meditation, and simple yoga poses.

A couple of things I want to remember from the exercises:

- Explore your story of identity ("I am the kind of person who ___. I've always believed that I was ___. I describe myself as ___.")

- Remember unity experiences and profound connection experiences.
Jill
This was a great reference when I started yoga again after a car accident. I've had anxiety for a long time but it became fairly unmanageable after the accident. This book helped me to stop and breathe. It also had good exercises to lead me to let go of past thoughts and behaviors. I would highly recommend this book!!
Allie
Inaccurately named. There was only a smattering of yoga. That's not to say that there isn't valuable information and meditation practices, but that's not what I was looking for. Also there's a lot of pseudoscience which is the worst.
Teacatweaves
This book starts out as a slow read because of all the exercises up front. The real meat are the exercises and the guides to yoga techniques. Pick and choose what works for you!
Liser
Excellent insights into anxiety as well as some calming yoga moves. This book really helped me through a rough time and I would recommend it to anyone willing to be open minded.
Sarah Reando
Sarah Reando marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Tara Caul
Tara Caul marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Kalem Wright
Kalem Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Nikki Lewis
Nikki Lewis marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Petr
Petr marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering Yoga Mind, Peaceful Mind: Simple Meditations for Anxiety and Emotional Healing