Start by marking “Chivalry” as Want to Read:
Chivalry

Chivalry

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"A delicious tale of an elderly British matron who buys the Holy Grail at a rummage store.

Selected Shorts is an award-winning series of classic and contemporary short fiction read by acclaimed actors. The readings are recorded live at Peter Norton Symphony Space in New York City. The Selected Shorts radio series is a co-production of Symphony Space and WNYC, New York Publi
Audiobook
Published May 25th 2009 by Symphony Space (first published October 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chivalry

Shane
Absolutely terrible. Filled with purple prose and uneccesary "bits and bobs" of information. I actually had to read this as a prompt in a standardized test and thought the writing was so awful I tracked it down on goodreads to complain about it.
Kalli
One of the best short stories I have ever read! Neil Gaiman's presentation of the story is so matter-of-fact that it comes off quite hillariously. My only wish is that the story would keep going; however, it is perfect the way it is.
Federiken Masters
Parece que la manera para subir un cuento (que no llegue a abarcar un libro por sí solo) de Goodreads es con un audio-book. Yo no escuché este audio-book pero sí leí el cuento dentro de su correspondiente libro ("El cementerio sin lápidas", creo), y me resultó bastante simpático y ameno, sobre todo la viejita. Y no es que recuerde mucho más, la verdad-
Steven Awalt
A delightful short tale from start to finish. Clever to the point it should make any other writer jealous. Humorous, gentle and sweet to its core. The live reading by Christina Pickles is a pleasure. I'd love a studio version with actors cast in the roles.
Alisha Webster
I enjoyed this one. I'm reading Smoke and Mirrors - I didn't think It would be right to rate them all in a lump. I can't say this was amazing. I am hoping that the other short stories are better.
Sue Berg
This is one of the most wonderful short listens in my collection! I love Christina Pickles reading the story. There is a version of it being read by the author, in one of the collections of his works which is wonderful -- as is anything read by Gaiman, but this version is the one I enjoy the most :D
and as stories go, this falls outside of the Gaiman genre of horror for children -- it is just a short story with some ironic twists -- well worth your time!
Elena
Oct 05, 2014 Elena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comedy fans, arthurian legend fans, short story fans, Neil fans
Recommended to Elena by: Audible
This was awesome. A reading of a Neil story by Christina Pickles on Selected Shorts. I don't usually like when people besides Neil read his stuff because I am a spoiled (and slightly obsessive) fan. But this was very well done. The narrator matched the character well. The story is read in a little under half an hour, and it has a nice comedic tone to it.
Heike
Apr 27, 2014 Heike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
This is a hilarious short story. I need to give this to my dad, I think he will really enjoy it! A true Knight in shining armor!
Susan
this is a GREAT short story and I love the way Gaiman reads it. It's part of the extras on the DVD "John Bolton: A Short Film by Neil Gaiman" and I finally convinced Lisa to listen/watch with me one night.
Chichi
I don't know if this was meant to be a funny story but I laughed. And loved it! Really sweet.
And the titles of the Mills and Boon books are just hilarious!
Thorin
A very fun short story. I heard this read on NPR's series "Selected Shorts" it's a free podcast download.
Mary
I loved this very short audiobook! It was full of humor and the characters were--characters!
Connie
What a wonderful short story. I enjoyed it so much! I immediately read it again.
Shelly
Listened to the story read on Selected Shorts (available on Audible.) Loved it.
Kayleen
It was ok.

A short story about the Holy Grail, among other things.
Jeff
Very short and classically unpredictable. So fun!
Random
you can never go wrong with Neil Gaiman...
Lisa
He is so great as a short story writer.
James
Julia
Mar 06, 2013 Julia added it
good
  • Papa You're Crazy
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Billy Collins Live: A Performance at the Peter Norton Symphony Space April 20, 2005
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Makropoulos Secret
  • One Man's Initiation: 1917
  • Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“Mrs. Whitaker found the Holy Grail; it was under a fur coat.” 0 likes