Start by marking “Chivalry” as Want to Read:
Chivalry

Chivalry (Neil Gaiman's Angels & Visitations)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  290 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"A delicious tale of an elderly British matron who buys the Holy Grail at a rummage store.

Selected Shorts is an award-winning series of classic and contemporary short fiction read by acclaimed actors. The readings are recorded live at Peter Norton Symphony Space in New York City. The Selected Shorts radio series is a co-production of Symphony Space and WNYC, New York Publi
Audiobook
Published May 25th 2009 by Symphony Space (first published October 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chivalry

Shane
Mar 06, 2013 Shane rated it did not like it
Absolutely terrible. Filled with purple prose and uneccesary "bits and bobs" of information. I actually had to read this as a prompt in a standardized test and thought the writing was so awful I tracked it down on goodreads to complain about it.
Kalli
May 06, 2010 Kalli rated it it was amazing
One of the best short stories I have ever read! Neil Gaiman's presentation of the story is so matter-of-fact that it comes off quite hillariously. My only wish is that the story would keep going; however, it is perfect the way it is.
Tara Schaafsma
Jan 28, 2016 Tara Schaafsma rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on tape and really liked it. I've been kind of into Neil Gaiman lately.
Federiken Masters
Jul 09, 2013 Federiken Masters rated it liked it
Parece que la manera para subir un cuento (que no llegue a abarcar un libro por sí solo) de Goodreads es con un audio-book. Yo no escuché este audio-book pero sí leí el cuento dentro de su correspondiente libro ("El cementerio sin lápidas", creo), y me resultó bastante simpático y ameno, sobre todo la viejita. Y no es que recuerde mucho más, la verdad-
Steven Awalt
Jan 12, 2015 Steven Awalt rated it it was amazing
A delightful short tale from start to finish. Clever to the point it should make any other writer jealous. Humorous, gentle and sweet to its core. The live reading by Christina Pickles is a pleasure. I'd love a studio version with actors cast in the roles.
Alisha Webster
Aug 10, 2014 Alisha Webster rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this one. I'm reading Smoke and Mirrors - I didn't think It would be right to rate them all in a lump. I can't say this was amazing. I am hoping that the other short stories are better.
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2014, fantasy
The best 27 minutes of listening delight

This is the short audiobook I return to over and over when I need a 1/2 hour boost and it never fails to put a smile on my face. Christina Pickles conveys the dotty old woman who buys the Holy Grail at the Op-Shop (Thrift Store), and proceeds to wash it out because there is something reddish brown dried in the bottom of the cup. A Knight appears at her door asking for the Grail, to complete his quest, and she serves him tea, has him do odd chores, then say
Sue Berg
This is one of the most wonderful short listens in my collection! I love Christina Pickles reading the story. There is a version of it being read by the author, in one of the collections of his works which is wonderful -- as is anything read by Gaiman, but this version is the one I enjoy the most :D
and as stories go, this falls outside of the Gaiman genre of horror for children -- it is just a short story with some ironic twists -- well worth your time!
Elena
Oct 05, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: comedy fans, arthurian legend fans, short story fans, Neil fans
Recommended to Elena by: Audible
This was awesome. A reading of a Neil story by Christina Pickles on Selected Shorts. I don't usually like when people besides Neil read his stuff because I am a spoiled (and slightly obsessive) fan. But this was very well done. The narrator matched the character well. The story is read in a little under half an hour, and it has a nice comedic tone to it.
Nicol
Dec 29, 2015 Nicol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, shorts
An adorable and funny story about an elderly lady who picks up the holy grail at a second hand store. It has all the wits and funny any reader comes to expect from Gaiman. A must read for any Gaiman fan!
Miguel
Dec 03, 2015 Miguel rated it really liked it
Very funny and enteratining short story about an old lady that founds the Holy Grail at a rummage store, and a chevaliere from Camelot who is on a quest to find it.
Heike
Apr 27, 2014 Heike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
This is a hilarious short story. I need to give this to my dad, I think he will really enjoy it! A true Knight in shining armor!
Lilly de Vries
Dec 26, 2015 Lilly de Vries rated it it was amazing
I really loved this... Funny without trying :)
Nancy
Nov 25, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Loved this little story! Charming and funny!
Elena
Apr 01, 2016 Elena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Очень милый рассказ:)
Susan
Sep 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, collected
this is a GREAT short story and I love the way Gaiman reads it. It's part of the extras on the DVD "John Bolton: A Short Film by Neil Gaiman" and I finally convinced Lisa to listen/watch with me one night.

And WTF is up with that cover? ... huh
Chichi
Aug 13, 2013 Chichi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I don't know if this was meant to be a funny story but I laughed. And loved it! Really sweet.
And the titles of the Mills and Boon books are just hilarious!
Thorin
Nov 20, 2010 Thorin rated it it was amazing
A very fun short story. I heard this read on NPR's series "Selected Shorts" it's a free podcast download.
Mary
Sep 30, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audio
I loved this very short audiobook! It was full of humor and the characters were--characters!
Connie
Jul 13, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful short story. I enjoyed it so much! I immediately read it again.
Shelly
Apr 10, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it
Listened to the story read on Selected Shorts (available on Audible.) Loved it.
Kayleen
Feb 10, 2012 Kayleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
It was ok.

A short story about the Holy Grail, among other things.
Jeff
Oct 23, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Very short and classically unpredictable. So fun!
Random
Aug 22, 2013 Random rated it really liked it
you can never go wrong with Neil Gaiman...
Lisa
Nov 26, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
He is so great as a short story writer.
James
Jun 29, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyable and fun...
Alyssia
Jun 09, 2013 Alyssia rated it really liked it
fabulously hilarious. <3
TC
a light and fun short story
Melody
Oct 10, 2013 Melody rated it it was amazing
Wonderful short story
Maggie
Aug 23, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
delightful. perfect.
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • Holiday Classics
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Billy Collins Live: A Performance at the Peter Norton Symphony Space
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • The Neil Gaiman Reader
  • One Man's Initiation: 1917
  • Reckonings (The Books of Magic, #6)
  • The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories
  • Runway Zero-Eight
  • Become Who You Were Born to Be: We All Have a Gift. . . . Have You Discovered Yours?
  • Dancing the Dream
  • Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters---And One Man's Search to Find Them
  • Glorious Nemesis
  • 100 Bullshit Jobs...And How to Get Them
  • Mama, I Love You

Neil Gaiman's Angels & Visitations (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Nicholas Was . . .