Start by marking “In the Rooms” as Want to Read:
In the Rooms

In the Rooms

London literary agent Patrick Miller comes to New York dreaming of joining the big league, only to find himself selling celebrity dog books. But when he spots legendary novelist Douglas Kelsey on the street and follows him into an AA meeting, a world of opportunity beckons. Who knew that sobriety offered such networking possibilities? Or that the women would be so ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about In the Rooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Rooms

Renee
Aug 11, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it
In the Rooms is about a London literary agent (Patrick)who travels to NY with the intentions of being scooped up by the big league, only to find himself selling celebrity dog books. Shone is a razor sharp writer who writes with such flair and pace.

This book really takes off when Patrick spots a legendary novelist on the street and follows him into an AA meeting in effort to represent his long awaited new book. Who knew that sobriety offered such networking possibilities? Or that the women would
Margee
May 21, 2011 Margee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading along with growing horror as literary agent Patrick Miller stalks his hero, a reclusive author entering an AA meeting, I realized this story couldn't possibly go well for Patrick. For me, however, it was delightful from beginning to end. There were many laugh-aloud moments and continual restrained guffaws from just about every page, as I welcomed characters from the sublime (Lola, an attractive recovering drinker) to the ridiculous (Felix, a several layer-clad AA attendee with street ...more
Jeanne
Jun 06, 2011 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: nyt
Shelves: new-york
British literary agent Patrick Miller is having his doubts about moving to New York. After all, he moved for Caitlyn, and she’s already dumped him. And his job? Well, that’s not so secure right now. If only. . .

Patrick has the opportunity of a lifetime when he spots his literary hero, Douglas Kelsey, on the streets of the city. Kelsey, like many formerly successful writers, has become reclusive. Nobody’s heard from him in years. Now Patrick has found him, and he’s not letting him out of his sig
Ellen
Jun 03, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it
I picked this book up a while ago and just couldn't get into it so back on the shelves it went. This time, I really enjoyed it! Must be the difference in my life is all I can say. In the Rooms is about a British literary agent, Patrick Miller, who follows a girl he meets in London over to New York. In New York, he's happily going about his life as a literary agent when he spots a famous and famously missing author walking into a building in the city. The author, Douglas Kelsey, has been hunted ...more
Charlotte
Apr 01, 2016 Charlotte rated it it was ok
I found this book to be unbearably sexist. I can usually tolerate it as I'm of the mentality that once I start a book I have to finish it, but I found myself really pushing to pick this one up to complete it.

I don't have the exact quote, as it was a library book, but he describes Lola, his cute little love interest "as outgoing as a girl half as attractive as her."

Honestly, the whole plot of "unhappy male protagonist has career and mental health issues falls in love with girl half his age" is ti
Amanda Shannon
May 09, 2011 Amanda Shannon rated it really liked it
After my initial trepidation about this (seriously, who could live up to comparisons to Jay McInerney-meets-Nicky Hornby with blurbs by Gary Shteyngart and Helen Fielding?), I found this to be an interesting book about self-deception, acceptance, and booze. As some reviewers have noted, there is a big shift in tone and momentum over the course of the book. What started out as witty, incisive commentary on the world of fiction and British culture vs. American culture became a much more somber and ...more
Jamie
Sep 22, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
This was quite cute but I don't necessarily know if people who have no experience with 12 step programs would like it as much as I did. The story follows a literary agent, Patrick, who spies his favorite author on the street and follows him into an AA meeting. The people in the meeting "mistake" Patrick for a newcomer and somehow Patrick thinks it's a great idea to continue going to meetings so he can talk to his idol. Quite tragic hilarity ensues. The book is a bit of a time capsule as there ...more
Patrick
Jul 15, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it
This is the first novel (or film) I've read (seen) that accurately captures the world of 12-step recovery groups.

That it's a satirical work helps. The 12-step world suffers from an abundance of earnestness, if not zealotry, and deserves to be taken down a peg once in a while.

The gist of the story is this: expatriate Brit literary agent spies a famous, reclusive author going into an AA meeting. Brit follows, hoping to make commercial contact, and not realizing what he's getting into.

Then he star
Scott
Jul 03, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it
A first novel by my friend Tom, former film critic of the Sunday Times (of London), about a Brit in New York, a literary agent who spots his hero, a reclusive author, on the streets, and follows him into what turns out to be an AA meeting. Our hero is not an alcoholic, but he does return to "the rooms" of AA several times, to try to sign the author. He also gets a massive crush on a sober alcoholic while there. Complications, as you can imagine, ensue. I thought this great: funny and smart, ...more
Deborah Bobo
Patrick has come to America from England to be with girlfriend Caitlin and to get away from the publishing job that he was on the brink of loosing. He spots a famous, favorite author heading into an AA meeting and decides to attend in order to meet him and sign his next book. Patrick is not an alcholic, or is he?
Marie
Sep 24, 2013 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
Excellent book. Laugh out loud on the train kind of book. The protagonist is an extremely likeable idiot who does the wrong thing for the wrong reason but isn't mean just plain doesn't understand.

There is some discussion around the 12step approach to sobriety, there is Englishman lost in New York, there are potshots at the literary industry. All very amusing.
Wilde Sky
Nov 06, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it it was amazing
A British literary agent, living in New York, sees a famous writer, who has become a reclusive, follows him and ends up in a series of madcap adventures.

I really enjoyed this book. There were many laugh-out-loud moments, as a series of crazy characters (many of whom were oddly believable) go through a succession of awkward / crazy scenes.
Magda
Feb 13, 2011 Magda marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-library-marion
I'm confused. In this Slate article from February 10, 2011, it says the book is "forthcoming," and the Amazon page says it will be out on April 12, 2011. Yet the goodreads page says it was published "June 23rd 2009," and someone even put it in the "2009" category.
Laurie B-W
I had a hard time getting into this book. At first I didn't like the writing or the main character enough to think I wanted to keep reading, but I kept reading. Finally, about midway I sort of got into it. There were some amusing parts and the bits about twelve step programs were interesting and seemed accurate, but this just wasn't my type of book.
Amy
Jan 29, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Okay story about a guy who tries to get sober because his life is a mess. Written in the style of a British character trying to act American, which is annoying. Thought it would be better, or at least realistically humorous.
Robin
Jun 10, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The main character, a literary agent, "stalks" one of his favorite authors at AA meetings and finds himself facing his own demons. It has some laugh-out-loud funny moments. I might read this book again.
Laurie
Sep 05, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Refreshingly different from the books I normally read.Enjoyed the highly flawed but still likable narrator and his friends,old and new.
Julie
Apr 25, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story very much. It was a little slow in the beginning, but really drew me in the second half. Very likeable and sympathetic characters!
James
Jun 25, 2011 James rated it liked it
Part of my latest series of reads with cocktails on the cover. I enjoyed this book and the quick flowing story but writing vacillated between well written sharp prose and forgettable writing.
Camille
Jan 04, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
Cute, not great but it has its heart in the right place. Gave me good insight into what goes on in those rooms and made me laugh out loud in many places.
Lynn Kearney
Jun 20, 2011 Lynn Kearney rated it liked it
3.5. This was sold to me as a riotously funny book. There were amusing parts to be sure, but the alcoholic centre I found quite chilling.
Frannie
Accurate perception of recovery. Fun story. Decently developed characters. And, insight into recovery. Maybe.
Rob
Sep 04, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it
An interesting look at life from the POV inside the rooms of AA. Part thriller, part spiritual tome. Fast paced and never dull.
Heather
Jan 24, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok
The writer thinks he's the genius writer he created in his book, AND the idiot protagonist. How utterly annoying.
Jen Jermon
Jen Jermon rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2016
Zuri Stanback
Zuri Stanback rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Annalawny181
Annalawny181 rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Suzy
Suzy rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Janet Leonard
Janet Leonard rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Christian Meditation: Experiencing the Presence of God
  • Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife
  • Parched
  • One D.O.A., One on the Way
  • Little Town, Great Big Life (Valentine, #8)
  • Family Acts
  • Poems 1959-2009
  • Becoming George Sand
  • Love-Lies-Bleeding
  • Ellington Boulevard: A Novel in A-Flat
Tom Shone was born in Horsham, England, in 1967. From 1994 to 1999 he was the film critic of the London Sunday Times and has since written for a number of publications, including The New Yorker, The New York Times, the London Daily Telegraph, and Vogue. He lives in Brooklyn, New York."
More about Tom Shone...