Start by marking “Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text” as Want to Read:
Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A bitter feud between the Montagues and the Capulets keeps the city of Verona, Italy, in a state of constant unrest. Despite the enmity, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet fall passionately in love. Enlisting the help of Friar Laurence, the young lovers wed in secret, hoping that their marriage will finally unite the two families. But things go terribly, tragically wrong. O ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Classical Comics (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel

Danijela
My second graphic novel that I read this semester. I liked it much better than American Born Chinese. I also really enjoy it but I can't say that I liked it more than the original text of Romeo and Juliet because lets be honest, there will never be a better version of Romeo and Juliet. I loved, loved, loved the art in this book. It kept me interested because it combined the words with the visuals and having already read the story of Romeo and Juliet, it didn't ruin anything for me. I think this ...more
Angela
I DONT LIKE THIS. AT ALL. ROMEO YOU LOVE SICK FOOLISH FOOL. I am not looking forward to read the original Romeo and Juliet. *shiver*
Stephanie Banks
Oh, graphic novel. Graphic novel! Wherefore art thou graphic novel?

If you know anything about William Shakespeare, then you must have heard of Romeo and Juliet by now. You know… Start crossed lovers. Feuding families. The story of two young people who fall so deeply in love they’re willing to drink poison and take a dagger to the chest to be with each other forever. Yeah, for the few of you who have never heard of the story, I’m not making this stuff up.

I’ve never had any desire to read Shakespe
Tracey
Gale Cengage publishes some excellent texts to enhance a young reader's experience with classical literature. This graphic novel of Romeo and Juliet is well done. There are places where I would have liked to see different paraphrasing of the original lines, but overall it makes pieces of the play accessible that often are difficult for them to understand (Mercutio's Queen Mab speech or Juliet's soliloqy about being afraid to be in the tomb).

Plenty of good resources included as well - a family tr
Lilyan (Little Yams)
Adding this only because it counts for my 2014 reading challenge ;_; I'm behind
Danielle
I hate this story but the graphics were good.
Tamar
May 21, 2014 Tamar added it
sad, but very good
Janie
Once again the art astounds. Very good visualization of the famous play, though I did have different pictures of how the main lovers themselves, Romeo and Juliet, looked. I would have preferred the Original Text version, but this was the only one available in my library system, and it despite my dislike for translations and abridged adaptations, it held up very well.
Mike Jensen
A 5 star script, since it is unabridged Shakespeare, but the lack of glosses means that many pages of jokes make no sense. The art is not thought out, fumbling the storytelling a half-dozen times. There are also redundancies between the art and the dialogue that the artist fails to resolve. The art is attractive, though derivative, but the tale is not well told.
sara frances
This was really cool. It seems that graphic novels are a fitting format for plays because plays weren't really meant to be read without visual aid. However, the artwork wasn't anything amazing.
Cassie ♥
Romeo and Juliet is played out well in this graphic novel. I had forgotten, a bit, how they had been confused about each others death. Loved a reminder of all of the Shakespeare classics.
Mike Jensen
I am commenting on this in my contribution to a book to be published in Scotland next year. It would not be fair to the editors or publisher to give away too much here.
Colleen
Close to the Zeffirelli film version in layout, easy to read and keeps the essence of Shakespeare. I liked it.
Michelle
Using this with my ESL kiddos. It's fantastic!
loved this, review coming soon..
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Gg
Gg marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Aisha Yelwa
Aisha Yelwa marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jj
Jj added it
Nov 17, 2014
Emma Davis
Emma Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Faricazhong
Faricazhong marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Beckie Monson wilkinson
Beckie Monson wilkinson marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
For more than 20 years, John McDonald has performed as a storyteller across the great state of Maine from Eastport to Fort Kent to Kittery. During that time, his steadily increasing popularity has allowed him to bring his unique brand of Maine humor to an ever widening audience. His humor column and weekend radio show on WGAN reach thousands of people every week, while his book, A Moose and a Lobs ...more
More about John McDonald...
Macbeth: The Graphic Novel (Original Text) A Moose and A Lobster Walk into A Bar: Tales from Maine The Tempest Graphic Novel A Midsummer Night's Dream: The Graphic Novel Down the Road a Piece: A Storyteller's Guide to Maine