Start by marking “Collected Poems with Plain Prose Translations of Each Poem” as Want to Read:
Collected Poems with Plain Prose Translations of Each Poem

Collected Poems with Plain Prose Translations of Each Poem

brRimbaud is the enfant terrible of French literature, the precocious genius whose extraordinary poetry is revolutionary in its visionary, hallucinatory content and its often liberated forms. He wrote all his poems between the ages of about fifteen and twenty-one, after which he turned his back on family, friends, and France to roam the world. In his final years he was a t ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 7th 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Poems with Plain Prose Translations of Each Poem

MJ Nicholls
My forays into the canonical French poets continues with Rimbaud’s collected works. Poems 1869-1871 collects his “early” verses—all politicised fury, snotty swagger and clunky line breaks. Assorted Scribbles (not its real title) collects his vulgar heretical rants, cheeky fantasies and anti-other-poet slapdowns. A Season in Hell reads like the ravings of a melodramatic teenager after his first dumping in the McDonald’s car park. Illuminations is an incredibly mature, visionary work of symbolist ...more
Eadweard
Aug 22, 2015 Eadweard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great poems, specially the angsty ones. A Season In Hell was also great.

"What I liked were absurd paintings, decorations over doorways, stage scenery, travelling fairs’ backcloths, inn-signs, cheap coloured prints; literature gone out of fashion, church Latin, erotic books with bad spelling, novels our grandmothers used to read, fairy-tales, little books for children, old operas, meaningless refrains, crude rhythms.

I dreamed of crusades, unlogged journeys of discovery, republics with no histor
Garrett Dunnington
Arthur Rimbaud is not known for being sensible, but that is what makes it a beautiful read. One line I remember goes like, "And the moon beams dribbled on her breast." That's completely esoteric! Whether you don't understand it or you do, Rimbaud is a fine treat.
Richard Lodge
Feb 28, 2012 Richard Lodge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mine been like Verlaine's and Rimbaud ... The tumbling world of a strange genius. If this doesn't inspire you, you are probably dead.

Ipsita Debashree
Arthur Rimbaud embodies the spirit of spurned ideology and exuberant rebellion. To read these brilliant and extraordinary poems written by such a young poet (he wrote all his poems in a span of 4 years, abandoning poetry when he was just 21 years old) is a sublime experience.

A Season in Hell, Illuminations and The Deserts of Love are my favourites. I skimmed through Album Zutique and The Stupra due to their explicit aggression. Poems (1869-1871) consists of some excellent poems such as Nina Answ
meow_meow
Mar 04, 2015 meow_meow marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Poetry's not my strongest point when it comes to reading, but for the sake of Arthur Rimbaud I will try once more. :) I wish I was able to get a copy (a physical one) of A Season In Hell, but the heck, wasn't able to find (a cheap) one, so I ended up buying this one instead.

Let's see if I can manage to get out of this one unscathed, and with a fresh new perspective in poetry.
Nikki
Dec 22, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I can translate French well enough that I could grasp some of this, though I have no prior experience with other French poetry of the period. What I understood was gorgeous -- and the prose translations underneath did help, despite being, well, prosaic.

I'm going to keep working on understanding this fully...
Susan Jane McLeod
Apr 22, 2013 Susan Jane McLeod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Rimbaud. It's beautiful in French and English as well. The translators did a great job. But sometimes, like Baudelaire, his poetry is too raw and psychologically violent for me. They are both great poets though, extremely influential.
Mr_wormwood
Jun 17, 2014 Mr_wormwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a real treat to read all of Rimbaud's major works in one go. Fantastic imagery. now i feel a need to read some Baudelaire.
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Maria Velcheva
Maria Velcheva rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Peter Sloane
Peter Sloane rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Nick Traynor
Nick Traynor rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Pablo Zula
Pablo Zula rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Stefano Ortiz
Stefano Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Jacob Campbell
Jacob Campbell rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2008
Nataliejane
Nataliejane rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Bikash Singh
Bikash Singh rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Cordova
Cordova rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Kateřina
Kateřina rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Aysegul Cetiner
Aysegul Cetiner rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Brooke Ball
Brooke Ball rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Joelle Steele
Joelle Steele rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Geeky Spice
Geeky Spice rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
  • Maldoror and Poems
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • Poems and Translations
French poet and adventurer, who stopped writing verse at the age of 21, and became after his early death an inextricable myth in French gay life. Rimbaud's poetry, partially written in free verse, is characterized by dramatic and imaginative vision. "I say that one must be a visionary - that one must make oneself a VISIONARY." His works are among the most original in the Symbolist movement. Rimbau ...more
More about Arthur Rimbaud...