Start by marking “Peter” as Want to Read:
Peter

Peter

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Pressured by his peers and society to conform to the stereotyped macho image, fifteen-year-old Peter feels both confused and repelled. His confusion and his horror increase when he finds himself attracted to his brother’s best friend, David, who is gay. Here is a daring, exceptionally honest novel about sexuality and the need to be true to oneself. Peter shares his every m ...more
Published April 30th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Peter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter

Turning 16 by Perie WolfordTormented Discovery by Jayson JamesFinding Our Way by Jayson JamesSomething Like Summer by Jay BellSafe by C. Kennedy
Best 'Unknown' LGBTQ Books for Teens
8th out of 96 books — 192 voters
Boy Meets Boy by David LevithanThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyGeography Club by Brent HartingerLuna by Julie Anne PetersHero by Perry Moore
Best GLBT books for teens
60th out of 202 books — 289 voters

More lists with this book...

LARRY
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

*Peter* is a simple read about a typical Australian teenager. Peter Dawson is like any other normal teenager. His divorced mother is working full-time as some health care specialist. His father comes and goes from time to time. He has a love/hate relationship with his older brother.

Peter enjoys his roaring bike. He has a group of peers that also enjoy bikes and motorcycles. These guys tease each other incessantly. Often, they'll be put on the spot to prove t
Kernos
Apr 14, 2012 Kernos rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pubescent boys, adolescents and their parents
Shelves: gay-fiction
This was a fun, one-nighter read about Peter, a 15 y/o Australian boy, trying to come to terms with his sexuality in the face of societal and peer pressures. It is more about Peter's internal struggles and muddles than external events, though the plot is driven by events.

It was written for Australian kids and the Aussie slang, culturisms and turns of phrase where a lot of fun. You will like Peter.
Amber
May 20, 2011 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amber by: Book List

Peter, a dirt bike loving boy, meets his brother’s friend (who just happens to be gay), his life gets turned upside down. Despite the other bikers who claim he's a poof and don't care about anyone but themselves, his arse-hole brother, his over-sensitive mother and his never-around father, Peter's life hasn't been ideal. But now on top of that he has the pressure of his 'best-friend' pushing him towar
Nick Bicknell
Tara Spears
I really can't figure out what to say about why I liked this book as much as I did, because nothing was super spectacular, and the ending kinda left me hanging a bit. I didn't love it, but I did really like it, and read the darn thing in less than a day.

It's a pretty simple story, and not a heck of a lot happens, however the writing is quite pleasant, and I liked the characters. I guess that's what it boils down to. Likable characters...
Ann
I've been searching for this book for over a year and was overjoyed when Amazon finally had a few items in stock again! I devoured it within a day, because it was easy to breeze through but yet dealt with issues well and provided a nice stock of likable and non-likable characters.

I definitely had my issues with Peter sometimes but in the end I came to really like him, when he dealt with his situation head on and stopped his denial of things.

Sometimes the book felt a bit dated but since it didn'
Madeeha (D-ha)
I thought this book was good overall. I thought the ending of this book wasn't that great. My reasons for thinking this way is because in the end peter and david never really got together and peter was still confused in the end of the book. I think that there could have been more things done with this book. Maybe the author wanted to end the book that way to leave us thinking and wondering what will happen to peter? Maybe the author wanted to convey a message to the reader? or maybe just wrote t ...more
Penny
I never would have guessed I could get so engrossed in the story of an Australian teenage boy trying to figure out whether he's gay. But of course, the adolescent struggle for identity is universal, even if the circumstances are different for each of us.

Is Peter really gay? Does he really have a crush on David, or is it just that David is the only person in the WHOLE WORLD who is actually nice to him?

That question remains unanswered at the end, but this novel is still a very satisfying read.
Benjamin
Set in Australia, Peter is a fifteen year old boy, although he prefers “nearly sixteen”; he’s a keen motor cyclist (a dirt bike) and a talented photographer. He has an older brother with whom communication is limited, and his father has separated from his mother. The main topic of talk amongst his friends is girls. This seems quite normal to Peter until a disastrous intimate moment with a pushy girls has him worried; he likes girls, but he begins to realises he does not feel that way about them. ...more
Jim
Peter by Kate Walker is a very easy read indeed. The style of writing is very much aimed at the Young Adult market and may lack complexity for more mature readers. The story takes place over a week in the life of Peter Dawson during school vacation. He has few friends except for Tony, a sex obsessed Italian 15 year old, however he does seek something more and rides around with a group of trail bike riders. During this week, certain events take place where the group turn on him becuase he is seen ...more
Photon
Growing up is painful, that is obvious enough. The teenage years is the point in our lives where we are looking for answers and there seemingly isn't one that is profound enough to give meaning to our existence. (At least for those special introspective people.) This book, I think, provides a lot of insight that is grounded in reality.

It shows how boys relate to each other by one-upping, eager to be part of the group. How important approval is, even when you know what you're about to do is stupi
Robbie
Look at the cover. Betcha cannot guess what Peter by Kate Walker is about. What’s that? You think it’s about a teen named Peter who rides a motorbike? Oh, O.K., maybe you can guess. :) However, it’s not that simple.

Fifteen-year-old Peter lives with his Mom and his older brother Vince. His Dad, who lives on the other side of town, visits sometimes, but it always seems to devolve into fighting with Peter’s Mom. Peter likes to escape by riding his motorbike out on the paddock near his house, even t
Rachel
Poignant and well written, Peter introduces us to a fifteen year old who is just coming into himself. He loves to ride dirt bikes and get dirty, but he's slowly realizing that maybe he's just a bit different than the other guys who ride, who always call him a poof and make fun of him. His mother babies him, not wanting him to be involved in such a dangerous sport, and he watches as his older brother becomes weirder and weirder: adopting new hairstyles and hanging out with new friends. It's the b ...more
Matt
I actually quite enjoyed this book, though I did personally feel it was too short and would had loved more of the novel. I like how they stood away from the typical stereotypes and explored Peter's sexuality. A nice added touch was that the book itself was not completely focus on his sexuality, I personally enjoyed that. My only wish was that I learned more of the story, what happen to Peter, etc. The ending just left me with wanting more of his story. Overall, I would recommend this novel.
Tyler
Peter's identity alludes me. Even at the end, I'm not sure if he really was gay, he seemed interested enough in Sophia, just not in a rush for sex. Personally, I think he might be heteroflexible or bi. The confusion in his character is strong and evident throughout the book and makes him very real, the only real issue I had with it was the abrupt concern that he was gay, I didn't really see where it came from.

The characters in the book seemed realistic if scary but the time period for homosexual
Angeluismanzueta
this book is about a teenager named, peter. the main part of this book is that simply peter might like his brother's best friend called david. he might believe that he is gay since lately he has been looking at men magazines, and beinning to like david alot. but he also has a dangerous side, he rides his dirtbike, and shows that he is very willing.
i could connect this book to the world b/c he shows that he is gay and you shouldn't be afraid to say so. and being something that you want is ok.
i wo
Josephine
Peter, I hope you figure out what you want.

this book is about an Australian boy named Peter, he is trying to figure out his sexuality. He rides his dirt bike. and gets accused of being a poof (gay.) He is into photography. girls want to do stuff with him.
He accidentally pushes Gloria away while in his darkroom. His brother Vince is there for him in a different way then advising him with his problems.
Vince's friend, David, is out of the closet and hires Peter to photography his car. David is the
Jennifer Lavoie
I would give this book between a three and a four, because the ending was very good. The last few pages literally made me tear up, and I enjoyed that. The rest of the book was okay. I liked Peter and David, and I thought they were great characters. The language and some of the content was a bit harsh for some students, so I would recommend it for older teens. Some of the terms used I had to get used to as well, since the book is set in Australia. It was a quick read and one that I had been wanti ...more
David Rain
Plenty of other reviews discuss the characters and events of the story, but I haven't read any that talked about Kate Walker's great success in capturing Peter's "voice."

The book is written in first-person narrative, so Peter tells his own story. The author succeeded brilliantly, in my opinion, in finding his voice and making it authentic and believable.

I'm old enough to be Peter's grandfather, but I enjoyed the book, nonetheless, and remember well the feelings and issues the author raises. Kudo
Amoena
Such a sweet book.
Jeff
A very interesting book. Not a lot happened but I was drawn into the story quite a bit. It follows the path of one young teen as he discovers the confusing concepts of masculinity and sexuality. It ends in an unusual but satisfying part in the story. It was also published in 1991 so it's interesting to see what it was like for homosexuals twenty years ago. Great read.
J.
A fantastic read. What I really liked is that Walker works against gay stereotypes on many levels. If anything, she reverses that stereotypical treatment on the father character, and the peer group. I have to be honest: I'm sort of okay with that as a reaction. Unlike most other LGBT YA novels, I felt the angst was realistic; not overly dramatic, but not nonexistent, either.
Travispug
Not too bad I thought. It's short but definitely sweet and manages to finish off with semi-optimistic ending. Peter is left disappointed but also reassured in himself about himself and more understanding of the feelings he had early on. Peter was a good character. I liked him.
Madison
I will admit I really didn't enjoy the book in the beginning, but once I kept reading I found it was an okay book. Its about a boy names Peter who is a biker, his parents got a divorce and his dad owned the hill where all of the boys in the community biked on.
Beth
Dec 14, 2010 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, kids
This was an okay about a teenager questioning his sexuality. Good subject matter, but it came across as dated to me. On the other hand, I think kids would enjoy reading this and some of the emotions expressed felt very real to me.
Belkis
Okay, who else thought it was EXTREMELY funny when Peter went into the bathroom and looked at the gay mags. Anyone ? Ahaha I truly did love this book.
Rory
About the long and tense processs of knowing who you are and who you can be. It's magical and noble and harsh and mean but solid and true.
Abi_88
This book was not what I expected. I respect the author for breaking stereotypes with the character of David.
Raymond
Eh. It was alright. Just another gay novel, to be sure. Same elements as all of the other ones.
  • Saints of Augustine
  • David Inside Out
  • Leave Myself Behind
  • When You Don't See Me
  • The Price of Falling
I Hate Books! Love Letters and Other Stories The Dragon Of Mith Marty Moves To The Country Une Faim D'éléphant