Start by marking “Belonging” as Want to Read:
Belonging

Belonging

Realistic and involving, YAs will identify with Gustie and her wish to belong; the book should touch them and be popular. School Library Journal Gustie Blaine is 15 when she contracts meningitis and loses her hearing as a result. After struggling to adjust, she learns through her new boyfriend and his deaf brother about other deaf people and how they succeed.
Published July 1st 1987 by Gallaudet University Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Belonging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belonging

LARRY
Apr 17, 2007 LARRY rated it it was ok
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

I thought that *Belonging* was an ok book. This book dwelt too much on Gustie's dealings with her newfound deafness.

At 15, Gustie encounters spinal meningitis, which resulted with her being deaf. Of course, intially, she deals with this consequence with anger. Next, she deals with her fluctuating hearing loss by trying to lip-read and experimenting with a hearing aid.

At the same time, her friendship with Sara, Dana and others have have changed. They are sim
Gaile
Sep 16, 2010 Gaile rated it liked it
I did not like it that the heroine in this book did not want to learn American Sign Language. By not doing so, she cut herself off from a rich and unique culture going all the way to Martha's vineyard for the U.S.A.
Mariama
Mar 03, 2010 Mariama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mariama Camara
6/7Y
Belonging By Virginia M. Scott

This book is about a girl name Gustie that cought an illeness called meningitis witch left her right ear deaf. Things became hard for Gustie because she could no longer her well and she fell like there has been a wall between her and her friends and her feelings were bottled up and ready to explode. Gustie best friend Sara had no time to hang out with her because they did not have time for each other and Sara was ignoring her. As Gustie got use to
Nattie
May 13, 2013 Nattie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story; as I usually enjoy books about teens who go blind or deaf. This one was written well.

I didn't understand Gustie's friend Sara's so-called problems at all. The way she turned on Gustie her best friend of ten years was just sickening. From day one after Sara found out her "friend" had been sick, she didn't seem to care about Gustie's condition. All she cared about was that she had to repeat herself. She also began to feel like Gustie was pretending to get attention. What an
Emily Beach
Nov 16, 2016 Emily Beach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suggest everyone read this book if you are interested in school and how people bully each other. This book is about a girl who has tons of friends but then soon goes deaf and all of her friends talk about her and leave her. She starts to feel back and goes to therapy to get help. It made me emotional because I don't like when people talk about each other. It makes me upset. If you like upsetting books, read this.
Kimberley Shaw
Not a bad handling of an important topic (mainstreamed late-deafened schoolkid). The author reworks and improves upon the core of this novel in her later book, "Balancing Act". Happily, there is much more d/Deaf YA experience described in novels now! For some examples: "5 flavors of dumb" by Anthony John, "Deaf child crossing" by Marlee Matlin, and yeah, I'll be honest, my own "A Handful of Spells".
Georgia
Apr 17, 2010 Georgia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. It is one of the books closest to real life. I say this because what happened to the main character in this book could happen to anyone. I am not going to ruin this book for anyone who wants to read it but basically it is about a girl who "had it all". She had the best life. She was a cheerleader and was popular. Something occurred in her life which caused her to realize who were her real friends.
Mary
Feb 08, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This book is WAY dated and reads more like a public service announcement than a novel. I'm sure it was great for kids in the 1980's, but I'm probably going to weed it from my school's collection now. I wish I knew of a good YA fiction book about being deaf that I could replace it with, though.
Hil
Hil rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Western Allegheny
Western Allegheny rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2011
mdt
mdt rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2008
Nawal Zahra
Nawal Zahra rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Amy Lafleur
Amy Lafleur rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Randa Cornell
Randa Cornell rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2010
Emily Bailey
Emily Bailey rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Yvette
Yvette rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Iliana Magana
Iliana Magana rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
Mia
Mia rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Reading with Cats
Reading with Cats rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2017
Makenna
Makenna rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Leisl
Leisl rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012