Start by marking “Stay Here with Me: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Stay Here with Me: A Memoir
Preview

Stay Here with Me: A Memoir

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Olmstead journeys back to his youth on his grandfather's New Hampshire dairy farm to confront the ghosts that continue to afflict him, laying bare the acute pain of his father's alcoholism and the decline of his grandfather, the family patriarch. Authentic, intimate, and intense, Stay Here with Me is about growing up and leaving home and about the acts of rebellion that fr ...more
Published August 15th 1997 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Here with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Here with Me

Peter Derk
I had a really great poetry teacher in school. Funny. Smart. Great bullshit detector. Seriously, almost frighteningly attuned to suss out if you were full of it.

One of our assignments was a poetry portfolio, one where we were to collect a couple dozen poems we loved, then supplement them with a few of our own.

It was easily one of the most difficult assignments I'd ever done.

The thing is, filling the binder with a couple dozen poets was easy. Philip Levine, Denver Butson, Donald Hall. And Raymond
Michelle
This was a WONDERFUL book. Thanks Sarah for sending it to me, I might otherwise not have read it. I absolutely loved his style of writing and now I can't wait to read everything else he has written.
For sure one of my favorite books.
Sonia Reppe
(Slow start only because the descriptions of nature go over me as I don't have the vocabulary for horticulture and vegetation and all that—I wish I did). This book is beautiful and overwhelming in a good way, because it's so truthful. Olmstead captures his life at 18, his first love, his farm life, his friends, his family. The dichotomy of Olmstead is that he writes about a man's world with such preciseness and fine expression and feeling, yet does not lose any manliness in doing so.
Carrie
I'm ashamed to admit how long I've had this book on my shelves without reading it. It's a really gorgeous Southern Gothic memoir that doesn't fall prey to sentimentality or Prince of Tides-style grandiosity. Just a gorgeous, heart-wrenching story about being tied to the land and tied to people who can't live without hurting themselves and each other.
Rose  Mary Achey
Coming of age novel of young man working on a dairy farm in NH.
Megan
One of my favorite books, ever (maybe because it's set in the rural New England of my childhood). I love the narrator's voice: it's a coming of age story told with bravura and sentimentality but also with honesty and a reverence for a way of life that's dying out.
Sbacchi33
A very easy, but touching read. Not 'light reading', but the author is very unpretentious while sensitive and articulate. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks, Lesley!!
Mike
A memoir. Very well done. His descriptive power is enviable. However, I found myself wanting to skip through parts (I didn't) but by the end I did not want it to end
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
cameron
cameron marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Moy
Moy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Tina Neyer
Tina Neyer marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Roz
Roz added it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Olmstead (born January 3, 1954) is an award-winning American novelist and educator.

Olmstead was born in 1954 in Westmoreland, New Hampshire. He grew up on a farm. After high school, he enrolled at Davidson College with a football scholarship, but left school after three semesters in which he compiled a poor academic record. He later attended Syracuse University, where he studied with Raymon
More about Robert Olmstead...
Coal Black Horse The Coldest Night Far Bright Star Trail of Hearts Blood Wherever We Go: A Novel River Dogs: Stories