Start by marking “Stay Here with Me: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Stay Here with Me: A Memoir

Stay Here with Me: A Memoir

Olmstead journeys back to his youth on his grandfather's New Hampshire dairy farm to confront the ghosts that continue to afflict him, laying bare the acute pain of his father's alcoholism and the decline of his grandfather, the family patriarch. Authentic, intimate, and intense, Stay Here with Me is about growing up and leaving home and about the acts of rebellion that fr ...more
Published August 15th 1997 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Here with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Here with Me

Peter Derk
Jun 25, 2012 Peter Derk rated it it was amazing
I had a really great poetry teacher in school. Funny. Smart. Great bullshit detector. Seriously, almost frighteningly attuned to suss out if you were full of it.

One of our assignments was a poetry portfolio, one where we were to collect a couple dozen poems we loved, then supplement them with a few of our own.

It was easily one of the most difficult assignments I'd ever done.

The thing is, filling the binder with a couple dozen poets was easy. Philip Levine, Denver Butson, Donald Hall. And Raymond
Michelle
Feb 14, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This was a WONDERFUL book. Thanks Sarah for sending it to me, I might otherwise not have read it. I absolutely loved his style of writing and now I can't wait to read everything else he has written.
For sure one of my favorite books.
Sonia Reppe
(Slow start only because the descriptions of nature go over me as I don't have the vocabulary for horticulture and vegetation and all that—I wish I did). This book is beautiful and overwhelming in a good way, because it's so truthful. Olmstead captures his life at 18, his first love, his farm life, his friends, his family. The dichotomy of Olmstead is that he writes about a man's world with such preciseness and fine expression and feeling, yet does not lose any manliness in doing so.
Carrie
Sep 10, 2007 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ashamed to admit how long I've had this book on my shelves without reading it. It's a really gorgeous Southern Gothic memoir that doesn't fall prey to sentimentality or Prince of Tides-style grandiosity. Just a gorgeous, heart-wrenching story about being tied to the land and tied to people who can't live without hurting themselves and each other.
Megan
Dec 13, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, ever (maybe because it's set in the rural New England of my childhood). I love the narrator's voice: it's a coming of age story told with bravura and sentimentality but also with honesty and a reverence for a way of life that's dying out.
Sbacchi33
Jun 23, 2010 Sbacchi33 rated it really liked it
A very easy, but touching read. Not 'light reading', but the author is very unpretentious while sensitive and articulate. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks, Lesley!!
RoseMary Achey
Jan 12, 2014 RoseMary Achey rated it really liked it
Coming of age novel of young man working on a dairy farm in NH.
Mike
Aug 17, 2010 Mike rated it liked it
A memoir. Very well done. His descriptive power is enviable. However, I found myself wanting to skip through parts (I didn't) but by the end I did not want it to end
Milt
Milt rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2010
Stedman.tiffany
Stedman.tiffany rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Lauren Housman
Lauren Housman rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Mike Alcock
Mike Alcock rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2010
Jan Zelfer-redmond
Jan Zelfer-redmond rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Majerle
Majerle rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Stephanie Ferland
Stephanie Ferland rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2009
Phillip bode
Phillip bode rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Ron Louise Salomon
Ron Louise Salomon rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2008
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2009
Jon Sequeira
Jon Sequeira rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
April
April rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2011
Scranton
Scranton rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Brill
Brill rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Erich Wendt
Erich Wendt rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Natalie Reed
Natalie Reed rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Olmstead (born January 3, 1954) is an award-winning American novelist and educator.

Olmstead was born in 1954 in Westmoreland, New Hampshire. He grew up on a farm. After high school, he enrolled at Davidson College with a football scholarship, but left school after three semesters in which he compiled a poor academic record. He later attended Syracuse University, where he studied with Raymon
More about Robert Olmstead...