Start by marking “Invisible Nation: How the Kurds' Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq and the Middle East” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The dramatic story of the Kurds and their quest to create a nation—essential reading for anyone who wants to understand how the turmoil in Iraq will play out.

The American invasion of Iraq has been a success for one group: the Kurds. For centuries they have yearned for official statehood—and now, as one of the accidental outcomes of the invasion, the United States may have
Published July 7th 2009 by Walker & Company (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Nation

Matt
I read this book while deployed to the Kurdish region of Iraq and this book was not only invaluable in my dealing with and understanding of these complex and wonderful people, but the book ended up being a door opener for me on many occasions. As part of a Military Transition Team, I came across many instances while in the region where I needed and ice breaker to open doors and provide a connection with people I met on the battlefield. Too many times to count I reflected back on the history I le ...more
Emily
A really interesting look on the history of the Kurds, their place in Iraq, and potential for the future, as well as underscoring the difficulties of establishing a legitimate state of Kurdistan given the regional issues.

After reading Galbraith's End of Iraq with his three state solution that heavily favored the Kurds (he practically wrote it just for them), it was good to get more background on northern Iraq/the Kurds.

Also after seening Paul Bremer at Bowdoin, the assessment of him by the autho
my name is corey irl
found this kurdbook in a palestinian apartment building. its a real bad photocopy an so i guess jalal talabani prolly doesnt look sudanese irl (or maybe in the post-ba'athist melting pot that is modern iraq he does??). lawrence's accounts of the northern buildup to 2003 and the clashes with ansar al-islam are real cool. but anfal and saddam's one-time alliance with the kdp are sorta skimmed over even though theyre probably more interesting than pages and pages about chalabi. also the pkk dont ge ...more
Nov 29, 2014 Sarah is currently reading it
Shelves: history, on-site, kurdish
Just picked up a bootleg copy of this in the Citadel here in Erbil... it looks like this version, and the paper is good, but the cover is badly cut, printed and glued, and the internal pictures are very dark and squint. This and a few other interesting versions of recent works were stacked up in the back of the antique/junk/souvenir shop. I'm pleased to have found it all as bookshops are eluding me (but then this is a very confusing city) and thus far I hadn't seen anything in any language I can ...more
Riley
This book was informative, but it wasn't really what I had been looking for. Largely, it is an account of the Kurds as they relate to U.S. foreign policy and the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

I'd hoped for something broader and that touched more on the Kurds as a whole, including the history of the populations in Iran and Turkey.
Joel
A very readable history on a topic not yet widely written about.
Robert
I read this book while I was still living in Sulaymaniyah, Iraqi Kurdistan. It was fascinating to read about places I knew and events that I was familiar with.

More than that, though, this book is a fairly thorough and even-handed study of the modern history of the Kurds in Iraq.

It's also very well-written and I found it great fun to read. Lawrence's human subjects are treated with respect and he tells their stories as they might tell them himself; he's a great story teller.

I recommend this book
Jeremy Pike
A thorough account of modern Kurdish history from the Treaty of Sevres to the beginning of Barack Obama's administration in 2009. The most notable account is that of Saddam Hussein's al-Anfal campaign; genocide against the Kurds, often using chemical weapons. This book is crucial for students of Kurdish history.
Sarialp7
I cant say that i liked this book. There are lots of inaccurate and third party stories. Some parts of the book is more fiction than nonfiction. Anyway, its ok but i wouldnt recommend it for anyone to waste their time. There are other resources to read to get an idea about the region and Kurds.
Daniel
Engaging narrative and very informative. Lots of interesting anecdotes and interview excerpts. The footnotes are entertaining and an added bonus.
Nate
Give the Kurds a nation of their own!
Hellen
Hellen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Haad Ali
Haad Ali marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Anne Zaki
Anne Zaki marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Daniel Coe
Daniel Coe is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2015
Brian Gougherty
Brian Gougherty marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Hashem Mandee
Hashem Mandee marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
D
D marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Hama
Hama marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Ariel Luna
Ariel Luna marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Stephen Lockett
Stephen Lockett marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan
  • Baghdad: City of Peace, City of Blood
  • The Commanders
  • A World Of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East- from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • My Father's Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan
  • Days of God: The Revolution in Iran and Its Consequences
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • Understanding Iraq: The Whole Sweep of Iraqi History, from Genghis Khan's Mongols to the Ottoman Turks to the British Mandate to the American Occupation
  • The Burning Tigris: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response
  • The Kingdom: Arabia and the House of Sa'ud
  • Moshe Dayan: Story of My Life
  • When Baghdad Ruled the Muslim World: The Rise and Fall of Islam's Greatest Dynasty
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • 1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War