Start by marking “Invisible Nation: How the Kurds' Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq and the Middle East” as Want to Read:

The dramatic story of the Kurds and their quest to create a nation—essential reading for anyone who wants to understand how the turmoil in Iraq will play out.

The American invasion of Iraq has been a success for one group: the Kurds. For centuries they have yearned for official statehood—and now, as one of the accidental outcomes of the invasion, the United States may have
Published July 7th 2009 by Walker Books (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Nation

Matt
Mar 28, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while deployed to the Kurdish region of Iraq and this book was not only invaluable in my dealing with and understanding of these complex and wonderful people, but the book ended up being a door opener for me on many occasions. As part of a Military Transition Team, I came across many instances while in the region where I needed and ice breaker to open doors and provide a connection with people I met on the battlefield. Too many times to count I reflected back on the history I le ...more
Emily
A really interesting look on the history of the Kurds, their place in Iraq, and potential for the future, as well as underscoring the difficulties of establishing a legitimate state of Kurdistan given the regional issues.

After reading Galbraith's End of Iraq with his three state solution that heavily favored the Kurds (he practically wrote it just for them), it was good to get more background on northern Iraq/the Kurds.

Also after seening Paul Bremer at Bowdoin, the assessment of him by the autho
my name is corey irl
found this kurdbook in a palestinian apartment building. its a real bad photocopy an so i guess jalal talabani prolly doesnt look sudanese irl (or maybe in the post-ba'athist melting pot that is modern iraq he does??). lawrence's accounts of the northern buildup to 2003 and the clashes with ansar al-islam are real cool. but anfal and saddam's one-time alliance with the kdp are sorta skimmed over even though theyre probably more interesting than pages and pages about chalabi. also the pkk dont ge ...more
Jul 02, 2015 Sarah marked it as want-to-finish
Shelves: history, on-site, kurdish
Just picked up a bootleg copy of this in the Citadel here in Erbil... it looks like this version, and the paper is good, but the cover is badly cut, printed and glued, and the internal pictures are very dark and squint. This and a few other interesting versions of recent works were stacked up in the back of the antique/junk/souvenir shop. I'm pleased to have found it all as bookshops are eluding me (but then this is a very confusing city) and thus far I hadn't seen anything in any language I can ...more
Riley
Feb 11, 2015 Riley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was informative, but it wasn't really what I had been looking for. Largely, it is an account of the Kurds as they relate to U.S. foreign policy and the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

I'd hoped for something broader and that touched more on the Kurds as a whole, including the history of the populations in Iran and Turkey.
Bruce Garland
Nov 03, 2015 Bruce Garland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative book about a part of the world that my work takes me.
Joel
Aug 23, 2014 Joel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very readable history on a topic not yet widely written about.
Robert
Jun 20, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while I was still living in Sulaymaniyah, Iraqi Kurdistan. It was fascinating to read about places I knew and events that I was familiar with.

More than that, though, this book is a fairly thorough and even-handed study of the modern history of the Kurds in Iraq.

It's also very well-written and I found it great fun to read. Lawrence's human subjects are treated with respect and he tells their stories as they might tell them himself; he's a great story teller.

I recommend this book
Sara Sharick
May 11, 2016 Sara Sharick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good rendering, from the Kurdish angle, of how the United States got from point A to point B in Iraq, through about mid 2008, read this book.
Answer
Oct 20, 2015 Answer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A biased book, but a good one regardless - especially if one wishes to refine his/her view opposing American invasion of Iraq in 2003.
Jeremy Pike
May 23, 2015 Jeremy Pike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thorough account of modern Kurdish history from the Treaty of Sevres to the beginning of Barack Obama's administration in 2009. The most notable account is that of Saddam Hussein's al-Anfal campaign; genocide against the Kurds, often using chemical weapons. This book is crucial for students of Kurdish history.
Sarialp7
Jul 21, 2010 Sarialp7 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cant say that i liked this book. There are lots of inaccurate and third party stories. Some parts of the book is more fiction than nonfiction. Anyway, its ok but i wouldnt recommend it for anyone to waste their time. There are other resources to read to get an idea about the region and Kurds.
Daniel
Jan 22, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging narrative and very informative. Lots of interesting anecdotes and interview excerpts. The footnotes are entertaining and an added bonus.
Nate
Aug 07, 2011 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give the Kurds a nation of their own!
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
mali
mali marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jules Shapiro
Jules Shapiro marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jamie Guildea
Jamie Guildea marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Will Beech
Will Beech marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Marcello Tomasina
Marcello Tomasina marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Desmond
Desmond marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Hasso von Moltke
Hasso von Moltke is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2016
Jameson Nevitt
Jameson Nevitt marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ben Martin
Ben Martin rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Nick Lloyd
Nick Lloyd marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Naman Siad
Naman Siad marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • A World Of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East- from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • A Modern History of the Kurds
  • The Commanders
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • The Forgotten Palestinians: A History of the Palestinians in Israel
  • War Without End: Israelis, Palestinians, and the Struggle for a Promised Land
  • To Dare and to Conquer: Special Operations and the Destiny of Nations, from Achilles to Al Qaeda
  • آخرين سفر شاه
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • Peasant Wars of the Twentieth Century
  • Lion of Jordan: The Life of King Hussein in War and Peace
  • Churchill and the Jews: A Lifelong Friendship
  • Tragic Mountains: The Hmong, the Americans, and the Secret Wars for Laos, 1942-1992
  • The Making of a Quagmire: America and Vietnam During the Kennedy Era
  • Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq
  • A History of the Habsburg Empire, 1526-1918
  • Why Did Europe Conquer the World?