A Sense of Belonging

A Sense of Belonging

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Cholmford Hall Mews is far more than an exclusive home to its new inhabitants. In their different ways, all the newcomers to Cholmford are searching for something—love, peace, a sense of belonging. But will they find more than they bargained for?
Published June 1st 2001 by Orion Publishing (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Sense of Belonging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sense of Belonging

Sue
Four houses in a new development are occupied over a period of a week or two. There's a married - but rather incompatible - couple, with a social-climbing wife. There's an unmarried, but apparently very compatible couple - he's nearly fifty, and very gentle, while she is considerably younger, but the only problem appears to be his glamorous ex-wife, who still works with him.

Then there's Jessica, a writer, who we first meet in Corfu as she finishes her novel, and then leaves the philandering man...more
Diana Hockley
Written in 1998, this story is ageless. Erica James tackles the sticky subject of a disabling illness - MS - with sensitivity and realism.

Inflicted with the disease, Josh cannot come to terms with his family and friends' change of attitude toward him, which manifests in what he feels is obsessive caring. Always active, superbly good-looking and successful in partnership with his brother in the family business, he is humiliated and grief-stricken as the ravages of multiple sclerosis bite deep int...more
Maureen Vincent-Northam
A Sense of Belonging is based around the inhabitants of Cholmford Hall Mews – four houses in an 18th century converted barn.

The story opens with main character Jessica Lloyd, a writer who is about to leave her home in Corfu, along with an unsatisfactory relationship, to be near her mother in Cheshire. Jessica becomes one of the Mews’ residents – the others being Kate and Alec (a beautiful woman much younger than her recently divorced partner), Amanda and Tony (a marriage of convenience) and the...more
Tracy Barrall
This was a lovely read from Erica. I believed and felt for the characters and situations they got themselves into. Jessica is the main character and is bold, straight forward and over protecive to her mother. She wants to be loved with passion but does that really happen to people like her. She moves back from Corfu ending a relationship that was going nowhere and moves into a converted barn complex with five homes four of which have very different new owners. The story is based around these fou...more
Nicola
A nice readable book, light but well written, a good holiday read.
Lara
Apr 09, 2012 Lara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Dull and badly written. All 'tell' rather than 'show' with each character ruminating endlessly about their motives and wondering what the other characters are thinking. The bored reader can't wonder themselves as we get to hear inside everyone's head. And when there is conversation it is of the 'would you like a coffee?', 'Yes, please'. 'With milk' 'yes please'. 'And sugar', 'yes thanks' variety.
Jenny L
Another good story by Erica James. The characters a mix of likeable and fairly unpleasant! A happy outcome, but one which kept you guessing throughout, if only to see how the author would resolve some of the weightier issues of the storyline. This story touched on the serious and debilitating illness of MS and gives you the reader some insight to that. Overall, definitely one I would recommend.
Betty Bell
This is a story of the inhabitants of a new development in the Cheshire countryside. They include a writer worried about her mother, an older man young woman unmarried couple, a married couple with child and a young successful man adjusting to life with MS.
The characters come alive and I wanted to yell at one sometimes.
once again, erica james has warmed my heart and made me miss my boyfriend like theres no tomorrow!!! james has taken tough issues and made them readable in a light way that hurts and touches the soul. and yet you can't get enough of her writing. i still have my favourites by her, but i still enjoy all her books.
Mariagriffiths66
It was ok. I wasn't really keen on the characters and didn't care what happened to them. I also got a bit irritated by the way the book was written. I found myself getting annoyed by the silly detail like using maximum hold hair spray etc. I won't be reading any more Erica James I don't think.
Virginia
Erica James at her best on characterization. Lives interweave and some work out well and some not so well. A good solid light read.

How much does the book you finish influence the next? I had just finished a horrible book I read on someone's recommendation.
Patricia
Loved this book, at first I thought it would be a bit dull---the usual. However it kept my attantion all the way through and one didn`t really know what was going to happen until the last chapter--lots of surprises!!
Fi
There was a great sense of completeness to this book: the fewer pages there were left to read, the slower I read them, as I really didn't want it to finish - surely a good recommendation for a book?
Jo Sully

A "comfortable" read. Enjoyable enough if a little predictable. With Erica James you know what you're going to get. Couldn't read her novels back to back but ok once in a while.
Sheila
For more than 35 years I have not read romance. This book was purchased by my son in England in Nov 2012 and thought would give it a try. Very disappointed and it is unrealistic book
Kathryn
Thought this was a beautifully written book, and made me want to read more by Erica James. I did guess from early on what would happen at the end, but was a good read.
Nell
Classical Erica at her best - a warm engaging story with lots of different threads all tied up into a deliciously satisfying read.
Carrie
This was a sweet book. Perhaps, dare I say, almost too sweet? The book takes place in England and it was very pleasant to read.
Beverley Hoe
Galloped through this one. Erica James as usual, easy to read and kept me interested. A good summer read.
Sharon
I liked it enough that I'll try another book by this author. It was fairly good but not great.
Sheri Darby
Very easy to read, yet quite badly written. I won't look for more books by this author
Nina
'I've always though that it's the childlike who relate best to children' p, 115
Cheryl
Erica James..........I love all her books.
What more can I say!
Val
As always a very well written enjoyable story
BookAmbler
Easy, entertaining read.
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • Octavia
  • Highland Fling
  • How Will I Know?
  • Sowing Secrets
  • Confessions of a Hollywood Star (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #3)
  • Girl Meets Ape
With an insatiable appetite for other people's business, Erica James will readily strike up conversation with strangers in the hope of unearthing a useful gem for her writing. She finds it the best way to write authentic characters for her novels, although her two grown-up sons claim they will never recover from a childhood spent in a perpetual state of embarrassment at their mother's compulsion.

T...more
More about Erica James...
Tell It to the Skies The Queen of New Beginnings Gardens of Delight Love and Devotion It's the Little Things