Start by marking “Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside #2)” as Want to Read:
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside #2)

Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  10,580 ratings  ·  287 reviews
I'm John Taylor. I work in the Nightside - the gaudy, neon noir, secret heart of London, where it's always three in the morning, where gods and monsters make deals and seek pleasures they won't find anywhere else.

I have a gift for finding things. And sometimes what I'm hired to locate can be very, very dangerous indeed.

Right now, for example, I'm searching for The Unholy G
Published (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Agents of Light and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agents of Light and Darkness

Dan Schwent
John Taylor gets hired by a priest from the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail, the cup Judas drank from at the last supper. Standing in Taylor's way are all the other people looking for the Grail: Walker from the Authorities, angels from Above and Below, Nasty Jack, and others. With Suzie Shooter at his side, can Taylor find the Grail and walk out of this situation alive?

Agents of Light and Darkness is like a Ramones song. Short but, at the same time, the perfect length. Both the humor and horror
Justin
This is the second book in multi-volume series by Simon R. Green. The story once again follows the almost always abstruse John Taylor, the private detective who is really good at finding things. In the first book you learn John is a former Nightside badass who in his time away from the Nightside developed a conscious. He went back into the disturbing scene that is the Nightside to help someone in need. Agents of Light and Darkness follows a similar premise, except on a larger scale. This time it ...more
T.J.
This series has promise as it is full of interesting ideas and settings, but the author seems dead set against examining them in depth. Ideas and settings that could fill an entire novel are explored in a matter of pages and dismissed. The world of the Nightside is presented as something extremely old and filled with interesting characters and story lines. Yet in book two, the size of the world already feels small as we are already re-visiting many of the same locales and characters from the fi ...more
Nancy Oakes
As I think I've mentioned somewhere before, I am the biggest sucker for pulp fiction. Simon R. Green's Nightside series take pulp fiction an extra step & meld it to the supernatural and the weird sci-fi realm. You may be a little lost if Agents of Light and Darkness is where you start in the series; I would definitely start with the first one "Something From the Nightside" and go through the books in order.

In this episode, our hero, John Taylor, is back in the Nightside again, and finds hims
Ken
I am always amazed at any writer that can put together 200 pages worth of thoughts into a coherent, cohesive and interesting story line. I doubt very much that I have in me what it takes to put together anything that is a fraction as good as the lowest rated books that I have ever read.

That being said, it amazes me further when an author can take those few pages and the few words on those pages and weave not only a theme worth following, but an entire previously undefined world and in such intri
Robin
Agents of Light and Darkness is the second book in Simon Green's Nightside series. Here's my review from Audible. It pretty much says it all.

"I just can't decide"

Parts of these stories are so well told it can bring a tear to your eye and part of it feels repetitive and part of it bugs me to no end. You'll have to find the good bits on your own. I'm not going to spoil it.

The repetitive, is the instance that anything out of this world is possible in the Nightside. That's fine, I got it the first
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
What lessons did I learn from this book? Angels are as scary as they are majestic. Whew. I really don't want the angel apocalypse hitting anywhere I live like it does in the Nightside. Also don't get in the way of an angel with a mission. You will not survive the encounter. In this case, the angels are after someone who has the Judas Cup, not the Holy Grail. Yeah, you can guess this cup is probably not going to be used for benevolent purposes.

The action is fierce, the horror is very evident, th
Lea
The many shortcomings are made up for with pitch black gallows humor. Actually, is there a color darker than black? Because that would describe this parody of urban-fantasy-noir Perfectly.
Kristy
The last chapter of this book is worthy of 5 stars, that's how amazing it is! I don't think I've ever seen a better representation of Jesus's character in a non-Christian book than right there in that chapter. No, the story is not Biblical and I know that, so please don't send me messages regaling me for thinking so. But at the same time, the last chapter contains what to me is exactly what Jesus's character, love, and forgiveness CAN do.

The second to last chapter was not so cool, and in fact I
Solace Winter
Honestly, rating this book was hard. Three stars was the low end, four stars would have been the higher end. I went with three only because this book did seem a bit repetitive. It's short, and a quick read, so it should not be repetitive. Another issue with the novel is his search for his mother. It's like the author already had a huge plan for what would happen when Taylor found his mother but did not want to give the plot too soon. The third, and I swear the last, issue was that it was predict ...more
Cupof Tea
This is the second book in a weird series about a fantastical place hidden from the world called the Nightside. Told in the style of a noir detective novel with a lot of dry humour, mixed with urban fantasy and horror elements, in this story John Taylor is tasked with finding the Unholy Grail before the angels of both Heaven and Hell can get their hands on it.

There were quite a few LOL one-liners, and his adventure includes a few famous folk like Marilyn Munroe and Merlin, and even takes them to
Donna
You've heard about the Holy Grail, the chalice that Christ drank from during the Last Supper. What about Judas' chalice, the Unholy Grail, which is a cup that causes its owner to do evil? Never heard of it? Neither had John Taylor until he accepted the Pope's commission to locate it and get it out of Nightside before the Angels of Light and Darkness started a war over it.
As always, Green' sardonic wit and rapid action create a wonderful book that will make you laugh and will keep you sitting gl
Lissibith

Agents of Light and Darkness follows a gent in a paranormal underworld as he tries to find a particular item for a client - a specialty of his.

Of course, this item is the unholy grail, the cup of Judas, and there are angels and demons all trying to find the thing before him, so things are a little bit wild.

This book, the second in a series, is in a weird place and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. A lot of the time it was just fun, with the setpieces being action-packed and the
Kiwie
As quick and easy as the first, but my two major annoyances from the first book (way too much repetition of little useless facts, and that I was always painfully aware that we were being introduced to the world and the next books and thus felt like the mystery it was centered around was just a sub-plot) have been majorly toned down. Yes, the descriptions and character introductions are still the same, and by now I really am aware that John doesn't carry a gun because he doesn't need one, you don ...more
Hannah
This second book in the Nightside series continues to develop the main characters while sending them on another adventure that could destroy the world: finding the Unholy Grail for the Vatican before the angels and devils get their hands on it. I enjoyed the noir writing and religious elements, but thought too much time was spent on the numerous side villains. There's a new baddie in almost every chapter! This is a quick, fun read that sticks the landing at the end, and I would read it again.
Chris Lake
I don't really have anything to add as far as a review of this book. I liked it because of it's atmosphere and all around creepiness. Green has great skill in putting in that one detail that twists a scene or character into something very creepy. The only flaws I have with this book is the rather simple plot. (I had guessed who Jude was almost from the beginning,) but otherwise a fun and interesting book. I will continue with the series and hope his plots start to become more exciting.
Jen
I really loved this story! It was absolutely fantastic!! :)

It opened with John Taylor's meeting with Jessica Sorrow the Unbeliever, an incredibly scary woman/thing. In this very same opening chapter, a frightened man was turned into a statue by unknowns for not having the correct Grail in his hands. What a harrowing and fun-to-read first chapter! :)

Soon everyone, from the Nightside's major players to angels from Above and Below, wants to hire/force John Taylor to find the Grail - the Unholy Grai
D.K.
It was a fun read, but I couldn't bring myself to give it four stars. If you're looking for a quick read to fill some downtime and looking for action and humor, Agents of Light and Darkness is the book you should read.

I will definitely continue with the series.
Brandy
I read the first two books in this series in two days. I thoroughly enjoyed Something from the Nightside (book 1). I thought it provided fantastic humor and great notes of horror. The second book was not quite as engrossing, but I think it would have been if I had given it a few days in between. John Taylor is slowly becoming more interested in the idea of learning about his mother which will likely have some unfortunate consequences. The style of the novel is in keeping with the first book and ...more
Kristin
Just as enjoyable as Something from Nightside (Book 1), if not a bit more polished and filled out. Which is what I would expect as the author starts to flesh out and tidy up his world. As far as Nightside can be tidied up...

In Agents of Light and Darkness, John Taylor is hired by the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail before the Agents of Above and Below do and start the apocalypse early. The angels are not nice beings, and proceed to wreak havoc and chaos upon Nightside, killing anyone who might
Yona
Another interesting adventure of John Taylor in the Nightshade.
Trak
I have to admit that I love Simon R Green's work ever since I read the quirky Blue Moon Rising.
Green is adept at mixing fantasy, horror and humour into a fast packed read. Even though many of his books are series I never had any problems reading them as stand alone novels.

John Taylor has been requested to find the unholy Grail and with Suzie Shooter as his partner there is plenty of mayhem. The characters are great, well constructed the world is full of interest and believable.

It is easy to g
Donald Dudley
I found this book to be as bad as the first.
Suz
3.5 to 4 stars

I'm still finding this series a bit cliche. I also find it interesting that I can't tell whether it's an intentional tongue in cheek kind of thing or unintentional.

I'm also having trouble figuring out if it's the narrator or the writing, or if I'm just subconsciously comparing it all to the Dresden audio. I hope not as that would be terribly unfair.

I enjoyed it. The recurring characters are unfolding and the world is becoming more familiar. The story had flashes of brilliance inte
Julie
This book is actually the second in the Nightside series but I had to read it first because the book store didn't have the first. That said,

ZOMG IT WAS SO FUN!!!!!!!

John Taylor is a PI that works in Nightside, a city that exists in London for those that seek things that are a little...off. It's always 3:00 am in Nightside, a Biblically fragile time if you believe that sort of thing.

John's a little special and, for once in a character, doesn't apologize for it or for the dark things he sometimes
Bella
Angels with Brass Knuckles (3.5 out 5)

As the second book in Simon R. Green’s Nightside series, Agents of Light and Darkness is much better than its debut novel. Green gives us a no bars attached version of the Nightside, where the villains are not as silly as the evil house-monster in the first book. John Taylor, once again, finds himself on a well-paid mission, but this time, he’s hired by an emissary from the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail, Judas Iscariot’s cup from the Last Supper. Unfortun
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 17, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri Leen
This is the second book in the Nightside series and I liked it more than the first. I'd give this three and a half stars if GoodReads allowed. The first book introduced us both to our first person narrator, John Taylor, private eye, and to his otherworldly home hidden within London the way Harry Potter's Diagon Alley is hidden from the mundane.

The Nightside "is a square mile of narrow streets and back alley in the centre of city linking slums and tenement that were old when the last century was
Fangs for the Fantasy
John Taylor is back in the Nightside with his ability to find anything, anything at all, anywhere.

Which makes him in high demand when the Grail disappears – the Unholy Grail. The cup that Judas drank from. A cup that corrupts all those around it, a cup that could very well bring about the end of the world.

It’s in the Nightside and lots of people want it. More than people – the Angels of Light and Darkness want it as well – and they’re willing to rip apart the entire Nightside to get it. They’re
Jul 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I've read the first six books of the Nightside series, and this is my second favorite of those six. The angels are determined and they are not subtle; they're described as "celestial storm troopers," and they make a huge mess of the Nightside.

Agents of Light and Darkness is a big improvement over Something from the Nightside, partly because its sole purpose isn't to introduce everything. Unfortunately, Green is a little lazy whenever he talks about the Nightside or a recurring character: we get
Jody
This is the second book in the series and you should go back and read numer one first to get a feel for the atmosphere. Once again Green keeps me interested by bringing new charaters to play. This guy has really got an imagination. I did like this book and do plan on reading more in the future it's just that someone has them all checked out right now and is taking their sweet time with them. That is so rude! I understand that it is frustrating to be in a series and go to the library hyped up abo ...more
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros #4)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6) Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)

“It's tucked away in a quiet corner, shadowed and obscured, no part of the Nightside's usual bright gaudy neon noir. It doesn't advertise and it doesn't care if you habitually pass by on the other side. It's just there for when you need it. Dedicated to the patron saint of lost causes, St. Jude's is an old old place... St. Jude's isn't a place for comfort for frills and fancies and the trappings of religion. just a place where you can talk to your god and sometimes get an answer.” 9 likes
“It's always thoughts of family that drive me crazy, and it's always my friends who bring me back.
Agents of Light and Darkness p.218