Start by marking “The Belonging Heart: The Atonement and Relationships with God and Family” as Want to Read:
The Belonging Heart: The Atonement and Relationships with God and Family

The Belonging Heart: The Atonement and Relationships with God and Family

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The third in a trilogy of books relating to the Atonement, The Belonging Heart explores what it means to feel at one with our Father in Heaven, with Christ and his cause, and with our family and friends. This book's theme deals with how the Atonement helps us build our relationships with the Lord and with others, especially family members. As we accept the Atonement, the L ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about The Belonging Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Belonging Heart

Sandy
An incredible explanation of how the Atonement affects are feeling of belonging in all our relationships. The authors discuss what we can do to make a difference in our own sense of belonging through true acceptance of the Atonement and allowing ourselves to truly belong to the Savior.
Melissa
The older I get, the more I come to realize that all people--whether old or young and whether verbalized or not--desire to belong and feel loved. Bruce and Marie Hafen share beautifully why we long to belong, how we we can belong to Christ, and how we can build a greater sense of belonging with those around us, including our families.

A few favorite quotes:

“Jesus Christ came to accomplish the great at-one-ment, not the great alone-ment…He seeks to bring us to his Father, to himself, and to each
Heather
It was the title of this book that originally got me reading Elder Hafen's trilogy of books about the heart (and it was my favorite). I think that we all want to belong to something, someone. Our hearts instinctively yearn for connections and love; they yearn for God. Ultimately that's where we belong - with Him. But these instincts of the heart are not what the world teaches today. Too many people these days are seeking for individual freedom and less connection to others.

This book points out
Ang
WOW!!! I learned so much and became aware of so much about myself that I couldn't see before. This book is so helpful in thinking through current day trends in society. LOVED IT!! gave it away as a gift. Plan on giving it away so more. the three books together in this series are an amazing contribution by this husband and wife.
Jenna
This book applies charity to the Atonement. It puts relationships into an eternal perspective and causes you to realize the need for not only mortal relationships, but a heavenly relationship with a loving God. I feel a lot of solace and completion when I read this book because it touches some of my deepest desires--to belong.
Regan
A well written book that addresses two subjects that are often spoken of, but not as often spoken of together - family and the atonement. It does an excellent job of speaking of the ideal that we strive for while accounting for the difficulties and general messiness of life.
Melissa Caress
Known as "The Trilogy of the Heart" to those who have read "The Believing Heart", "The Belonging Heart" & "The Broken Heart".

Some of the most insightful books on the atonement and relationships that I have read. These really changed my life.
Erin
This was a hard book for me to keep reading. I started it in December, took it back to the Library after 8 weeks, unfinished. Checked it out again in March. Still took 4 weeks to get through. It is good, but not Great!
Karen
An excellent book on the atonement and finding meaning in the trials and challenges we inevitably face through our families and relationships.
Matt
Ranks right up there with Hugh Nibley's "Meaning of the Atonement" essay in my list of favorites on this subject. Very insightful.
Kathryn
I read this a while ago. But I remember loving it and teaching the Young Women about this book and giving a talk on it.
Angelina
If I am in time of need...I know I will find strength in this book!
Rick
This is the third in a series by Bruce Hafen. Good reads.
Elaine Duree
this book is hard to get into.
Stacey Peterson
Stacey Peterson marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • Pure in Heart
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • Tinkling Cymbals and Sounding Brass: The Art of Telling Tales About Joseph Smith and Brigham Young (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 11)
Bruce C. Hafen has been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy since 1996, having served recently as Area President of the Australia/New Zealand area. Earlier he was president of Ricks College, Dean of the BYU Law School, and the number two administrator (Provost) at BYU. Elder Hafen is known to Deseret Book readers for his frequent Ensign articles and his bestselling trilogy on the Atonement ...more
More about Bruce C. Hafen...
A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times