The Belonging Heart: The Atonement and Relationships with God and Family

The Belonging Heart: The Atonement and Relationships with God and Family

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The third in a trilogy of books relating to the Atonement, The Belonging Heart explores what it means to feel at one with our Father in Heaven, with Christ and his cause, and with our family and friends. This book's theme deals with how the Atonement helps us build our relationships with the Lord and with others, especially family members. As we accept the Atonement, the L...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Deseret Book Co

Sandy
An incredible explanation of how the Atonement affects are feeling of belonging in all our relationships. The authors discuss what we can do to make a difference in our own sense of belonging through true acceptance of the Atonement and allowing ourselves to truly belong to the Savior.
Heather
It was the title of this book that originally got me reading Elder Hafen's trilogy of books about the heart (and it was my favorite). I think that we all want to belong to something, someone. Our hearts instinctively yearn for connections and love; they yearn for God. Ultimately that's where we belong - with Him. But these instincts of the heart are not what the world teaches today. Too many people these days are seeking for individual freedom and less connection to others.

This book points out...more
Regan
A well written book that addresses two subjects that are often spoken of, but not as often spoken of together - family and the atonement. It does an excellent job of speaking of the ideal that we strive for while accounting for the difficulties and general messiness of life.
Ang
WOW!!! I learned so much and became aware of so much about myself that I couldn't see before. This book is so helpful in thinking through current day trends in society. LOVED IT!! gave it away as a gift. Plan on giving it away so more. the three books together in this series are an amazing contribution by this husband and wife.
Jenna
This book applies charity to the Atonement. It puts relationships into an eternal perspective and causes you to realize the need for not only mortal relationships, but a heavenly relationship with a loving God. I feel a lot of solace and completion when I read this book because it touches some of my deepest desires--to belong.
Melissa Caress
Known as "The Trilogy of the Heart" to those who have read "The Believing Heart", "The Belonging Heart" & "The Broken Heart".

Some of the most insightful books on the atonement and relationships that I have read. These really changed my life.
Erin
This was a hard book for me to keep reading. I started it in December, took it back to the Library after 8 weeks, unfinished. Checked it out again in March. Still took 4 weeks to get through. It is good, but not Great!
Karen
An excellent book on the atonement and finding meaning in the trials and challenges we inevitably face through our families and relationships.
Matt
Ranks right up there with Hugh Nibley's "Meaning of the Atonement" essay in my list of favorites on this subject. Very insightful.
Kathryn
I read this a while ago. But I remember loving it and teaching the Young Women about this book and giving a talk on it.
Angelina
If I am in time of need...I know I will find strength in this book!
Rick
This is the third in a series by Bruce Hafen. Good reads.
Elaine
this book is hard to get into.
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Daniel Gibbons
Daniel Gibbons marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Azure
Azure marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Sarah Hanselmann
Sarah Hanselmann marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bruce C. Hafen has been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy since 1996, having served recently as Area President of the Australia/New Zealand area. Earlier he was president of Ricks College, Dean of the BYU Law School, and the number two administrator (Provost) at BYU. Elder Hafen is known to Deseret Book readers for his frequent Ensign articles and his bestselling trilogy on the Atonement...more
More about Bruce C. Hafen...
A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times