Start by marking “The Shark and the Goldfish: Positive Ways to Thrive During Waves of Change” as Want to Read:
The Shark and the Goldfish: Positive Ways to Thrive During Waves of Change

The Shark and the Goldfish: Positive Ways to Thrive During Waves of Change

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
An illustrated business fable that gives you the faith, courage and confidence to win in today's tough economic climateFear and uncertainty are staples of daily life in today's struggling economy. As bad as things can be, economic downturns also lead to new opportunities. It's easy to worry, give up and let fear paralyze you. However, you have more control than you think y ...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shark and the Goldfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shark and the Goldfish

Sydney Sears
Jun 03, 2015 Sydney Sears rated it really liked it
A shark or a goldfish? We can either be the predator or a victim. Will we wait for our food or go and find it ourselves. These are some of the lessons taught from the mind stretching book The Shark and the Goldfish written by Jon Gordon, who was a International Bestselling Author of The Energy Bus. This book was introduced to me by my dad who works for a logistics company, and this book was introduced to him by his boss to all of his employees so that they could learn the importance of ‘positive ...more
Toni Biker
Jan 14, 2015 Toni Biker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A short, fun book about facing changes (professional or personal) with a positive attitude.
Mtbike40
Oct 04, 2009 Mtbike40 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Jon Gordon continues to deliver great guides to leading a life through unique stories that make his books a true pleasure to read. I think that his work on the The Shark and the Goldfish is simply amazing. Jon really condenses so many tested approaches to maintaining a positive attitude, event in difficult time, in such a short, quick read.

I really appreciate that Jon addresses "Abundance Theory". All the politicians and news media try to drive just the opposite into our heads every day. Jon als
Poedust
Oct 16, 2014 Poedust rated it liked it
The book is straightforward and very short. Lacking a real plot; serves more as a reminder to keep moving and being positive for those of us who have read this type of book, yet as an incomplete introductory book for folks not familiar with the motivation and life-coaching subject. Overall it was ok and an easy read for teens or adults.
Wil C
Aug 25, 2015 Wil C rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this story about how to make opportunities instead of waiting for things to be given to you. And it is shown through a odd story about a goldfish being swept to the ocean that anyone could read and it could effect anyone.
Jenn
Jul 17, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
The backdrop story may be a bit cheesy, but the practical principles are spot-on. For anyone burdened by fear, afraid of change, or just looking for a renewed outlook on life, I would highly recommend this easy read.
Mary
Dec 12, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: now-reading
A small book but very inspiring and uplifting to energize you to continue to run the race despite the challenges that you may come up against. I enjoyed it completely and will reread again and again.
Mandy Peterson
Mar 27, 2016 Mandy Peterson rated it liked it
This would be an excellent read aloud for children. I would like to see a full scale children's book with this same content. However, for adults, it's nothing you haven't already heard.
Michelle Brosi
Apr 07, 2016 Michelle Brosi rated it it was ok
Cute analogy for being positive. While I liked it fine, to me it was just another positivity book. It would probably help others, though.
Paige
Apr 12, 2016 Paige rated it it was amazing
A short but powerful book whether personal or professional. I recommend taking a few minutes out of your day for this quick read.
Josh
Jan 11, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you a shark or goldfish

This book was great! Tons of real life applications and help getting started moving your group in a positive direction
Heather
A freshman English class connected this motivational book to The Blind Side movie.

It was okay.

Katie
Jul 29, 2012 Katie rated it did not like it
I think this is the first time I have given 1 star (and I love books about positive thinking!). This book would really be better in poster form. The illustrations that cover 50% of the book are a tad lame, shall I say? One nice colorful poster sized image of the goldfish and shark accompanied by a one-sentence summary of the story (which is simply repeated over and over as if trying to teach an infant in the book) would be completely sufficient. "Be a shark and go after your own food; don't wait ...more
Pavan Kondapuram
Apr 06, 2015 Pavan Kondapuram rated it really liked it
Motivation is provided from a different perspective here. A fun filled tale for kids too.
John Sakalauskas
Jan 24, 2016 John Sakalauskas rated it it was ok
A short easy to understand book that didn't engage me as I read through it.
Naomi Bussinger
Dec 29, 2014 Naomi Bussinger rated it it was amazing
Super fast read. Very inspirational and can even be shared with the kids.
Iptay_J
Apr 21, 2016 Iptay_J rated it really liked it
Good short book on having a shark-like attitude in order to thrive in life and business. I recommend it to anyone who needs motivation to take control of their destiny.
Not a deep, serious book but gets the proven points across.
Mehraveh
Sonal Garg
GG6 DL026710
Glenda
Nov 17, 2013 Glenda rated it liked it
The book is filled with so much positivity which how life should be. It is a nice book to read especially when you're down and need some inspiration. You'll find it easy to survive and thrive once you learn and apply all the principles it teaches us. Yet i think it is beyond my capacity to absorb all these positive vibes. Which is why I admire Jon Gordon :>
Lia S
Apr 03, 2013 Lia S rated it liked it
This book is tiny and half pictures, so you can read it in half an hour. I read it to my 7th grade Girl Scouts and they definitely understood the message about taking ownership for one's own choices and destiny. A quick inspiring read. It's not clear the target audience, but I think it could work for most ages and interests.
Matthew
Jul 26, 2010 Matthew rated it liked it
This was a good book, but it wasn't great. I enjoyed the story and the principles, but I felt like I'd heard most of them before. It was still a good reminder, but it wasn't the amazing book I hoped it might be.
Traci Vanover
Feb 20, 2010 Traci Vanover rated it really liked it
Cleverly written story that highlights the need for us to be able to adapt to the waves of change in our lives. An easy, enjoyable read that will appeal to both business owners and non-business owners alike.
Bill Donhiser
Not as good as other Jon Gordon Books but it still has a very good life lesson on personal responsibilty and self reliance. Quick Read
Matt
Apr 01, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Short and easy read with simple concepts that a lot of us overlook. A great read to get out of victim mentality and into accountability.
Lisa Seanger
Aug 05, 2012 Lisa Seanger rated it it was amazing
Cute story, reminds you that you choose your own path and whether you are going to get things done or let everything get in your way.
Anderu002
Dec 21, 2011 Anderu002 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book, motivated us from the story...
how to get food...
it's really can be compared to our life...
Deb
Oct 19, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Great book to share with kids. The shark is an unsuspecting mentor to a goldfish who has to learn to survive in the ocean.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Fun business fable and a quick read. Good way to look at how you adapt to change in your personal/professional life.
  • Secrets of Simplicity
  • Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • Seal of God
  • Photoreading
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • The Ten-Minute Inservice: 40 Quick Training Sessions That Build Teacher Effectiveness
  • The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die
  • The One-Day Contract: How to Add Value to Every Minute of Your Life
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • The Way of Baseball: Finding Stillness at 95 mph
  • 9 Things a Leader Must Do: How to Go to the Next Level--And Take Others With You
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • Building Teachers' Capacity for Success: A Collaborative Approach for Coaches and School Leaders
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...