Start by marking “Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)

Heist Society (Heist Society #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  66,185 ratings  ·  4,220 reviews
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leav ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Heist Society, please sign up.

Catrin Personally I adored another one of Ally Carter's series 'Gallagher Girls' but was very disappointed with 'Heist Society', finding it quite boring. The…morePersonally I adored another one of Ally Carter's series 'Gallagher Girls' but was very disappointed with 'Heist Society', finding it quite boring. The only reason I continued to read the series was in oder to be able to read 'Double Crossed', a book where Ally Carter introduced the main characters from both Gallagher Girls and Heist Society.(less)
Ella Grace In my opinion no. I think this is a really good book but not a good first read! It really depends what sort of things you are into eg. romance or…moreIn my opinion no. I think this is a really good book but not a good first read! It really depends what sort of things you are into eg. romance or fantasy etc. If you are looking for a book to read visit my blog: http://learntolovetoread.blogspot.co.uk/ I've recommended some of my favorite books and what sort of age its best to read then at etc. (less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
73rd out of 20,646 books — 55,537 voters
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHeist Society by Ally CarterOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
Best YA Spy/Mystery Novels
2nd out of 457 books — 1,453 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
Dec 04, 2013 Kat Kennedy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers. The real kind - the ones with pimples
My husband once told me a story about a neighbour he had before his family moved to our city. His very friendly, community conscious neighbour had a mower stollen one night by a couple of drunken goons. His parents gave him their sympathy and inquired as to why he didn't call the police. He replied that he didn't need to.

Whoever this man really was and whatever he really did, I won't expound on. It's enough to say that two days later his mower was returned to his yard. Cleaned. With a free case
Lyndsey
Also posted on STRANGEMORE.COM.

Who is in the Heist Society?

* One of them is a mini Sydney-Bristow-in-training, whose family has been falsely accused, and she's armed with a big attitude and huge problems.

* Then there is the handsome and debonair millionaire thief who compares dancing to navigating through a laser grid.

* There is also the beauty who is literally electrifying in high heels and a skirt. At least, when she gets too close to priceless works of art.

* Two of them are the ones who
Heather
Jul 16, 2011 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to people who liked the movie Ocean's Eleven or just looking for something new
I love it when you get excited when seeing a book you never heard of before, and then while reading, it turns out to be fantastic, instead of the opposite. I am now a huge fan of Ally Carter's. I have her other series (the Gallagher Girls), but I just haven't had the time to read them yet...what, with so many other books to read, but not now. I wont wait to read them.

I can see this series becoming my new YA favorite.

I loved the characters and the twist and turns in the plot-line. It wasn't pred
Sue (YAHollywood)

Listen to my Heist Society fanmix in 8tracks and see the tracklist here.

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

This book is everything I wanted and more.

Heist Society has the same international thrill as The Conspiracy of Us which is one of my favorite reads this year. And it went delightfully well. I might be crying tears of blood. Please give me twenty. Mini review to come.
Krystle
May 28, 2011 Krystle rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Okay, the only reason I wanted to read this book was because I took a course called “Art in Popular Literature” and it was an awesome class that really sparked my interest in art. Perhaps that wasn’t the right perspective to view this book from because the complete absence and respect paid to the true real works of art in this book left me absolutely pissed.

First of all, for the majority of the book I was so confused. All the amounts of names for characters we had to keep track of and backstory
Bry
Definitely 5 stars! Put it this way, I got this on audiobook from the library, finished it today in the car on the way to work, and stopped at the book store on the way home from work to buy a copy to keep. What a great premise! A bunch of preteens pulling off an Ocean's 11 worthy heist all in the name of saving family.

Katerina Bishop (such a fantastic name) is the daughter of Bobby Bishop - one of the world's greatest thief's - and she is well on her way to being the same. She pulled her first
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I love tales about thieves and con artists, book series like The Curse Workers and movies like Ocean’s Eleven. I love it when seemingly random events come together neatly and cleverly in the end. Therefore, I loved Heist Society. It is admittedly not as clever as White Cat, for example, but I had a hard time putting it down and that’s a big deal these days.

Fifteen-year-old Katarina Bishop is a very experienced con artist. She may be ridiculously young, but in her line of work, she’s one of the b
Rachel Lightwood

Heist Society was one of the most confusing books I have ever read and by that I don't necessarily mean the plotline was befuddling - though it was not exactly easy to follow - I mean that my feelings towards the characters and the book in general was different for every chapter which left me awfully confused for most of the book. One point I was loving it, next I was confused, then I a little bored only to be shocked by an intense scene bursting with suspense, intrigue and mysteriousness.

The id
PurplyCookie
After a childhood spent assisting her father, one of the world’s most talented art thieves, Katarina Bishop tries to leave the family business behind when she forges her way into a New England boarding school.

She quickly discovers, though, that her past is inescapable. Her father has been accused of stealing already stolen masterpieces from a dangerous Italian billionaire. Certain that her father is innocent, Kat resolves to find the missing paintings and return them to their unsavory owner, wh
Chamonix
WHY? I don't understand all these stellar reviews. It's mind boggling because truly this book was nothing spectacular. It was clever, sure. I like the idea of it more than I like the book per se.

The main character is a ninny. All she ever does is float around worrying, trying to reassure me that although she has/had amazing ninja stealing skills, she doesn't approve of them. GET OUT OF THE WAY PRISCILLA, I'LL TAKE YOUR PLACE. GUN-FRICKING-HO. Not to mention she was flat. Like, tasteless kind of
Nic
Rating: 4.5 stars

Favourite Quote: "It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth."

Heist Society is a brilliant read! It was fun and fast paced and I loved every minute of it.

Kat is a 15 year old retired thief or was until she was forced to get back in the family business in order to save her Dad. Her father has been set up, accused of stealing paintings from a mobster type of guy that lead to some very dangerous co
blueJae
4.5 stars!
I love heist movies so I guess it's not much of a surprised that I really enjoyed this book!! I loved the countdown pages and how this book made me feel like I've traveled the world as part of their team haa. There were some scenes that I wished I could have seen since I had trouble visualizing some of the details of their heist even with the descriptive narrative. The characters were all fantastic and hilarious. The crew dynamic was my favorite!

Full review to come!
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 Stars
First Marie Lu with Legend and now Ally Carter... Let me ask you one thing, what kind of sixteen year old kids were you back then?

My big and only problem with this book is how a couple of sixteen year old kids manage to do extraordinary things despite not being this a fantasy book? Or was it? Why so goddamn young?

Heist Society was good, very good. The kind of book you can read on a sunny afternoon. It was funny, smart, light and so delightfully written. Kind of Ocean's Eleven for YA,
~Tina~
Katarina Bishop has pulled off one of the biggest cons of her life, stealing an education to one of the best schools in the world, only to be framed, expelled, and thrown back into her old life of lies and thievery.
Five famous pieces of art work as been stolen by someone who's not to be messed with and Kat's father as been blamed. Now Kat and her band of thieves has two weeks to steal it back.

Heist Society is a surge of excitement and an absolute thrilling blast!
I have to hand it to Ally Carter,
Erin
Three stars in the best way possible. :)

This is the story of Katarina Bishop. She is a teenager, a boarding school reject, and an unambiguously moralistic thief. Kat and her posse of fellow teen thieves are on a mission to clear her dad's name of a dangerous crime before the dude he supposedly ripped off (who has the coolest name ever, Arturo Taccone) uses her father as an example of what happens when Mr. Taccone is crossed. Intrigue!

Honestly, the beginning chapters did not grab me. At all. I th
Sesana
3.5 stars, rounded up to four.

Heist Society is essentially a teen heist novel. Realistic? Maybe not. Hale sure isn't. Fun? Yes, it's definitely that. Good enough to keep going with the series? Well, maybe not.

There are definitely things to like here. The characters, especially Kat, reasonably act and sound like teens who grew up surrounded by organized, career criminals. For the most part, I found their actions and reactions believable, and they were mostly likeable without being dull and overly
Melissa
As a fan of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series, I was surprised to find out that she was coming out with another series. However, surprise quickly turned into anticipation after I read the summary of Heist Society, especially since it was about thieves.

Heist Society was a great, quick read. The plot was suspenseful, full of twists and turns; the characters were unique and interesting; and the writing was quite dramatic at times, making certain scenes have more of an impact to the story.

I reall
Katie
I haven't read an Ally Carter book in a while so I forgot how much I love them. This one is no exception. I am pretty stingy with perfect ratings but Heist Society deserves it!

Katarina Bishop has given up the family business, or so she thinks. When an old friend shows up with a message she is plunged right back in. How can she turn away when it's her father's life on the line? She can't, so with the help of her teenaged crew she plans the biggest robbery of her career. Will she succeed or will s
Jasprit
(4.5 stars)

Katarina Bishop was a thief, she was one of the best thieves in her family that is until she decided to give it all up, turn her back on her family and join the elite Colgan school. But after three months she’s kicked out of the school for something she didn’t do. She’s then forced to return to her family and friends to clear her dad’s name, he’s been accused of stealing a private collection of paintings belonging to the dangerous Arturo Taccone, he gives her an ultimatum, she has two
Nomes
Jul 25, 2010 Nomes rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
3 and a half :)

Heist Society is like reading Ocean's Eleven but with a rag tag bunch of teens (including best friend hottie, glamour girl and geektastastic nerds). It's actually already been optioned for a film and I can see why.

Not only is the plot intricate with a glamorous setting, but the writing is really a cut above. I loved the sophisticated tone and intelligent humour that amused me from the first chapter. Even with teenage protags, it doesn't necessarily have a YA feel about it. It's in
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Kat used to lead a life of danger before she pulled her biggest con ever and walked away from a life of thievery to attend boarding school. Her enrollment lasts a few months before her old life comes crashing in on her and her plans.

She's framed for a prank she didn't commit, but that will nonetheless result in her expulsion from school. Quickly she realizes this dismissal is the work of an old family friend. He's here to tell her that her master t
Samantha
I found this to be quite cute! It reminded me a little of a YA version of The Heist, which I loved.
Shannon Thompson
No one—and I mean no one—creates spy girls and art thieves like Ally Carter. Feisty, secretive, and…sometimes forgotten (since all thieves must be unseen), Katarina (Kat) Bishop has created her first Heist Society. She’s on a mission…but not of the usual type. This time, she’s stealing paintings back, and a villain beyond villains has set a deadline…or everyone gets it. ;] (You know what I mean.)
One of my favorite parts of this novel is how believable it is, even when the main paintings discusse
Daiane
Did you know that your great-great-grandmother was a very fine painter in her own right?"
Kat nodded. She did know. Who else could have forged the Mona Lisa that hung in the Louvre?

If you are looking for a really complicated book with mean thieves, this is not your book.
If you are looking for a big hot romance, this is not your book. Yet, I hope.
Now, if you are looking for a light read with a lot of cons and testing others' abilities, this is definitely your book.

Never live anyplace you can't
Auntie J
First I want to say this is a pretty fun and enjoyable read. Of the light and fluffy variety. But I had a big issue with it that continuously spoiled my ability to enjoy this story. Particularly since this story is about and for teens. And no, my issue wasn't how ridiculously implausible it is. I can go with implausible when it's well-written and entertaining.

I'm certainly able to enjoy a story about unrepentant and even sympathetic criminals (I loved Paper Moon). This isn't that.

Kat here isn't
Tina
Jan 25, 2013 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tina by: Maria
Shelves: gifts, contemporary, ya, 2013
Original post from One More Page

I never realized that I really liked con stories until I am already right in the middle of reading or watching them. Case in point: I wasn't sure if I would enjoy watching Fast & the Furious 5 when my friend invited me to watch it with her, until I saw the big job they were attempting to pull in the movie and I enjoyed the entire thing immensely. Con stories are so smart and cunning...and now that makes me wonder why I've only watched only one Oceans movie? :o
Sara Grochowski
HEIST SOCIETY is absolutely amazing! When I heard that the amazing Ally Carter was writing a new book that wasn’t a Gallagher Girls book, I was intrigued. After reading the premise I was unbelievably excited. Ally Carter continues to write books that rock my socks off. For readers who love the GG books, HEIST SOCIETY is a must read and won’t disappoint. For those of you who haven’t read an Ally Carter book, for goodness sake, what are you doing!? Go out and pick one up now!

First off, I have to s
YA Buddy Readers'...: Heist Society series by Ally Carter - Reading 'Uncommon Criminals' from July 10th 2015 84 83 Jul 12, 2015 10:53PM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Heist Society (Heist Society): Apr 27 13 16 May 05, 2015 02:15PM
The Heist Society 1 13 May 01, 2015 06:04PM
Favorite YA Con Artist Book? 1 18 Mar 28, 2015 02:34PM
What do the W.Ws stand for in Hales name? 8 79 Dec 30, 2014 11:59AM
Nick vs Hale 60 229 Dec 26, 2014 01:09PM
  • Fight to the Finish (The Specialists, #5)
  • Killer Spirit (The Squad, #2)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)
  • A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • The Empress's Tomb (Kiki Strike, #2)
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Den of Thieves (Cat Royal, #3)
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Fat Cat
  • Princess for Hire (Princess for Hire, #1)
  • Scarlett Fever (Scarlett, #2)
  • Just One Wish
  • Runaway (Airhead, #3)
  • The Cinderella Society (The Cinderella Society, #1)
  • Goddess Boot Camp (Oh. My. Gods., #2)
  • The Season
Ally Carter writes books about spies, thieves, and teenagers. She is the New York Times Best-selling author of the Gallagher Girls and Heist Society series. Her books have been published all over the world, in over twenty languages.

ALL FALL DOWN is the first book in her highly-anticipated new series, Embassy Row. She grew up on a farm in Oklahoma, and has never caused an international incident (t
More about Ally Carter...

Heist Society (4 books)
  • Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2)
  • Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society, #3)
  • Untitled (Heist Society, #4)
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2) Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3) Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4) Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5)

“It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth.” 1101 likes
“And I didn't choose it, Kat. I chose you.” 461 likes