Start by marking “Eureka” as Want to Read:
Eureka

Eureka

Eureka. It’s what you say when you strike gold. It’s also a town in California where the truth might be buried forever.

In New York Times bestselling author William Diehl’s thrilling, accomplished new novel, the seamy past of America’s most glamorous state lies in this deceptively peaceful area, one hundred miles north of Los Angeles. It was the lawless place from which you
Published April 1st 2003 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eureka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eureka

David
Aug 21, 2012 David rated it it was ok
This book tries to do too much. The author wasn't sure which period he really wanted to write about and then sort of slammed them all together in a mish-mash of events that were a mixed bag. He starts off in the early 20th century, eventually moving to World War I, the Roaring 20's and then spends most of the time in the early 1940's. Granted, the mystery does go back quite a ways and SOME of the information\story had to be told in order for the author to treat the reader fairly.

The mystery itse
William
Feb 09, 2011 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I haven't read A William Diehl book since the conclusion of the Martin Vail series in 1997. I have had this book on my shelf for some time, and now regret not having read it sooner. The action was relentless, the plot twisted this way and that (although some of it was predictable), and I really liked the characters. Sadly, because of the author's death in 2006, I don't figure I'll get to see these characters again.
Chuck
Mar 30, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing
A 1940's homicide detective works a murder case, the roots of which,
go back to a tough little California town in the 1920's. Another good
story by Diehl. This guy is one of my favorite authors.
Harry
Jul 19, 2010 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting World War One history as background. Excellent character development and fast moving plot. I liked it!
Barbara ★
I picked up the audiobook of this and though it was an interesting story, the audiobook had a lot to be desired. There were lots of inconsistencies which had me thinking WTH. At one point Zeke, the lead cop was on the phone with a sheriff Brodie, and something was said about the look on Brodie's face when Zeke gave him some news. This book took place in 1941, I highly doubt they had phones capable of visuals. It happened more than once and was rather disturbing. Upon picking up the actual book, ...more
Ramona
Apr 30, 2012 Ramona rated it liked it
Acum majoritatea din voi vă veți gândi că titlul cărții este traducerea cuvântului din greacă și reprezintă evrika – cuvântul pe care l-a spus Arhimede. Dar nu! În această carte nu este vorba despre densitatea aurului sau descoperirea lui, aici Eureka reprezintă numele unui mic orășel din California unde singurul lucru îngropat adânc este adevărul.
Poate în primă instanță m-a derutat faptul că acțiunea se desfășoară în doouă planuri, adică se spun două povești care par să nu aibă nici o legătură
L8blmr
May 09, 2011 L8blmr rated it really liked it
I thought I had read all of Diehl's novels, but came across this one at a library book sale. I believe it was his last completed work before his death in 2006. Though drastically different from his earlier books, I still enjoyed this tale that began at the turn of the century and ended after World War II. Both "heroes" were likable in their own way with perhaps a bit more in common than either of them realized.

Given the opportunity to ask the author a question, I would do so about a couple of lo
Lisa H.
Interesting setting (California, mainly in the first half of the 20th century), interesting time frame (covering from the end of the gunfighter era to the end of WWII), somewhat interesting characters, if rather too perfect (this is an issue I have with Diehl in other books too - see, Martin Vail in Primal Fear/Show of Evil/Reign in Hell.) Everyone is heroic, or fantastically attractive, or dazzlingly good at what they do. (Except the bad guys, who drop before the heroes' hail of bullets just li ...more
ReaderSP
Oct 17, 2012 ReaderSP rated it liked it
This was the first book I had read by this author after my father-in-law recommended it to me. The story spans over several years (which I like) and involves some great characters. A lady is found dead in her bathtub at home and the search for the killer spans back over many years. I did enjoy the story but I felt that the characters were a bit unbelievable and therefore I didn't really connect with them. The plot was very well written but I don't think I will be rushing to buy another book by t ...more
Brian Kenneth Swain
Jul 29, 2013 Brian Kenneth Swain rated it liked it
Pretty standard cop novel, with the somewhat novel twist of starting out with several much earlier vignettes in which the main characters are seen in the wild west and then in WW1. These are presumably intended to provide us with backstory for the purpose of making the characters richer. To that extent, the device was only somewhat successful, as I felt the story would have been pretty much as good if Diehl had foregone that initial 75 pages or so of earlier stuff. Overall, a decent cop story, w ...more
Darjeeling
Jul 13, 2013 Darjeeling rated it liked it
I enjoyed Primal Fear so thought I'd give Diehl another read. This one was completely different. Much less psychological, much less suspenseful, and the pace at the beginning was really slow. It took a long time to get into it and even by the end I wasn't really that excited to find out what was really going on. I liked the main character but had a very difficult time relating to the rest of the characters. If this had been my first Diehl book it would likely have also been my last. As it is, ev ...more
Barry Simiana
Sep 09, 2012 Barry Simiana rated it really liked it
I like William Diehl, all he way back to Sharkys Machine, Thai Horse etc. He has a facination with World War 1 and in particular Belleau Wood. Be that as it may, this again is a great book. When a book i read ends and i go back and reread to find all the clues i missed it's a good read to me. As always at the books end, the denument gives the final answers, and not the ones you were expecting. Great factual basis with characters from the past briefly coming to life, mixed with the fantasy world ...more
Sammcnair
Sep 01, 2011 Sammcnair rated it liked it
The author writes a compelling story, even though it was somewhat convoluted. Started w/ orphan befriended by rich family, went off to fight as a Marine in WWI, cop comes back from fighting in WWII, continues investigation into murder that is connected to events from when the orphan returned from WWI. Possibly I read this before...
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
.5 STARS

"Thomas Culhane leaves the Californian town of Eureka to make his way in the world. On his return, he becomes sheriff, and 20 years later he is about to run as state governor. But how is he connected to the mysterious death of a woman and how did she get $100,000 in her bank account?" (From Amazon)

I did not care for this novel as it lacked the suspense and seemed rushed.
Wayne
Jan 29, 2014 Wayne rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th Diehl book I have read. He has got me hooked. If you are into well-plotted mystery/suspense novels with wonderful character development, you just might get hooked as well. It is difficult to 'guess' what is going to happen next. Eureka is like a historical novel in that it takes place in gold-rush California and current day California. A good read.
Melinda Elizabeth
Feb 04, 2013 Melinda Elizabeth rated it it was ok
This book confused me. Started off in one era with one set of characters, then jumped to decades earlier and I honestly thought that first chapter was a mistake, a glitch in my ebook. Then 30% through the book those characters pop up again, what the?! Had me thinking there was something terribly wrong with my copy!!
Πάνος Τουρλής
Πολυπρόσωπο και περιπετειώδες. Όμως αυτή η πολυπλοκότητα κούρασε. Δεν ξαφνιάστηκα με τον κατάσκοπο, γενικώς δεν είχα διακυμάνσεις παρά μόνο στην ξαφνική αρχή του μυθιστορήματος. Μετά όλα έβαιναν τον δρόμο τους, όχι φλύαρα ομολογώ αλλά να πότε εδώ, πότε εκεί...

Στα ελληνικά από Bell το 2003 (Η πόλη του χρυσού).
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I generally steer clear of novels set in other than contemporary times but one of my web book friends gave this a strong recommendation and I am so glad he did. The story goes from 1900 through 1945 and follows the people of a small California town. A woman found dead in her bath in 1941 leads to a trail through the history of this small town. The book grips from word one to the end.
Cuykendall
Sep 16, 2015 Cuykendall rated it liked it
3 stars because I believe Diehl is a good writer, but by the last quarter of the book I started skimming. His descriptions of everything were excruciatingly detailed. Houses, people, streets, food, shoes, cars...it took a paragraph to describe anything. By the end I didn't really care anymore.
Ed
Oct 15, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Thriller - Investigation of the murder of Wilma Wilensky brings LA homicide sergeant Zeke Bannon to the coastal town once known as Eureka, where Sheriff Brodie Cullane is making a bid for governor. Eureka from the turn of the century to the end of WWII.
Rita
Nov 04, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it
I loved this book! There is a busy, time transfers I found tricky or tested at times but maybe it was me? I enjoyed the plots, the writing style and the characters. Good dialogue is essential for me and the author nails it!
Meredith
A fun "read". The person reading it really gave it that right feeling to go with the setting. There were a LOT of names to keep up with, not as much of a challenge to follow in pros but on audio, I had to pay more attention AND I had to listen to the ending twice!
Lorena Drapeau
Apr 28, 2008 Lorena Drapeau rated it liked it
i started this book abt five times before i got through it. i love diehl's writing but i didn't like the "gangster" story line this started out as. i ended up liking it lots though. i wish i had followed through the other four times...
Beth
Feb 10, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the story, a great whodunit with a lot of twists and turns in the plot. Mix in a love story and US history (the World Wars)and you have a great read.
Razvan Banciu
Sep 05, 2013 Razvan Banciu rated it it was amazing
a reasonable plot, some nice characters (including the dog, Rosie), a very readable book. the language is ok, also the dialogues. a little bit of humor and romance. a "must read" one!
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 04, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A murder in Los Angles leads to the investigation of a murder a generation earlier in Eureka. Two simil;iar lwamen from different generations and locations become involed for different reasons.
Cindy
Feb 20, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
This is one of those books where you do not learn the truth until the end. I liked it, but not sure I'd add it to my "OMG you gotta read it!" list.
Jenny
Oct 07, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
A combination of "L.A. Confidential" and the old West. Told in first person, by the gumshoe, so you really get the scoop.
Bill Klanderman
May 15, 2013 Bill Klanderman rated it it was amazing
New character - sergeant Bannon. Very well put together. Keeps the suspense going until the very end. great read.
Carol
Aug 18, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I found the book hard to follow. It seemed all over the place with flashbacks and different periods of time. I had trouble getting through the book but it did all come together at the end.
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • The Detective Branch (A Pyke Mystery, #4)
  • The Golden Orange
  • The Sea Witch
  • The Hell Screen (Sugawara Akitada, #5)
  • The House of Death
  • Pay The Devil
  • Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #2)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Murder at Manassas (Harrison Raines, #1)
  • Rough Cider
  • Hunting A Detroit Tiger
  • Lee at the Alamo
  • Dead Meat
  • A Pure Double Cross (American Spy Trilogy, #1)
  • Black Water (Merci Rayborn #3)
  • Warriors (The Conquest Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
William Diehl was an American novelist and photojournalist.

Diehl was fifty years old and already a successful photographer and journalist when he decided to begin a writing career. His first novel, Sharky's Machine, which became a movie by the same name was directed by and starred Burt Reynolds. Diehl saw the movie shot on location in and around his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia.

More about William Diehl...