Start by marking “Small-Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
First published in 1977, this book—from one of America’s most famous and prolific agricultural writers—became an almost instant classic among homestead gardeners and small farmers. Now fully updated and available once more, Small-Scale Grain Raising offers an entirely new generation of readers the best introduction to a wide range of both common and lesser-known specialty ...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Small-Scale Grain Raising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small-Scale Grain Raising

Emma Cooper
Jan 14, 2010 Emma Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Vegetables, fruits and herbs are all common in kitchen gardens, but very few gardeners ever consider growing their own grains. The common perception is that you need a lot of space to make it worthwhile, and that processing grains is something that is difficult and time-consuming to do on a smaller scale.

‘Small-Scale Grain Raising’ aims to set the record straight, by laying out exactly how much land you need to raise a reasonable quantity of various grains, and the benefits of doing so. If you h
John
Oct 26, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: prospective homesteaders
It's another Gene Logsdon farming book, and it's very good, though I can't quite recommend this one as heartily as All Flesh is Grass.

Logsdon does a good job taking us through the various grains, discussing everything one would need to know. We get information about planting, cultivation, harvesting, and storing, weeds to worry about, pests to worry about, and both modern and old-time methods for these grains. His slant tends to favor the small homesteader (hence the name) or even gardener: he d
Sutherland
Feb 06, 2015 Sutherland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
There was some really great info in here for small and medium scale small-grain and bean growing. It also has a great layout that makes it useful as a reference book. I didn't always agree with the flavor text but it made the book entertaining enough to read cover to cover. I'm going to try some rye this year.
Theresa
Dec 28, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting with wheat and may venture into oats next year.
Darcy
Apr 12, 2011 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous entertainment, I felt wonderfully validated for many of the practices I pursue, I was inspired to try some new crops, and I love how he calls us gardening farmers rather than hobbyists. After all, I am certainly not a commercial farmer, but I want to supplement my own and my animals' diet with homegrown goodness, and I wish I could turn even the tiniest bit of a profit with my all of the hard work I put into my gardens and goat herd.
Anna
Jan 26, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, although (as usual) I felt it glossed over some very important aspects of bringing grain growing to the backyard. Still, the book made me feel that growing grain was within my reach.

Check out the gems of information about growing grains as a backyard endeavor on my blog.
Bre
Nov 28, 2012 Bre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I save five-star reviews for life changing books. This book has changed my life. I feel like I am now armed with information that makes possible a new facet in farming and homesteading that I had not seriously considered before. Small scale grains? Homemade bread just became even more exciting than it had been previously!
Melissa
Jun 30, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
I wasn't able to finish this one before it was due back at the library, but what I did read was fantastic. Logsdon makes a potentially dry topic interesting and easy to understand, and he's completely banished any misconceptions I held about grain raising being too complicated for the home gardener. I can't wait to read more.
Alex
Some parts are not based on the author's experience; other parts are mostly based on his farming in northern Ohio. Nevertheless he gives very clear and detailed information on what he knows, which is quite broad in scope. And he is very outspoken against some concepts and practices based on "group thinking".
Michael
Lot of information but definitely not for the "I'm just curious" reader (which is myself. This would be a good book for somebody who was about to start growing their own grains and needed all of the nitty gritty details. Because of that difference, I'm holding off on rating this book at all.
Jul 16, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small scale, of course, means only a few acres in Logsdon's world, and the tools and techniques are aimed at small farmers rather than gardeners. But for the most part he includes planting/ harvesting options that are possible even if we just decide to try planting a single row.
Matthew
Mar 21, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farming
I found this a great resource for someone wanting to raise grain on a small scale. I picked up this book for that very purpose. It covers many different grains from corn to rice and even some older grains that are not used much on large grain farms.
Justin
Feb 02, 2011 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book! I'm growing my first wheat crop this year. So far, so good, thanks to this book. For more detailed info, see your county extension website.
Michael De Paola
Looks like a 45' x 45' square can grow all the grain we need. This book was fantastic! I'm thrilled to have gotten a copy for Christmas!
Matt
Dec 13, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Love it! So helpful to the beginning grain farmer. I'd love to hear more about crop rotations, however.
Michelle
Jun 14, 2011 Michelle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent information on how to raise grain in a small area and harvest without machinery.
Thejerseyhomesteader
I am finding this to be a great resource for my interest in having a small farm.
Megan
Apr 24, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical but also good for general info on good organic grain production
Judith
Jan 15, 2016 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reference book, for the most part.
Josie
Useful information for...someday.
Christopher
May 21, 2011 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice and insights.
Kenneth Moehlig
Kenneth Moehlig marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
David Shipe
David Shipe is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Josh
Josh added it
Jun 18, 2016
Rosalinde Czaja
Rosalinde Czaja rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
The Girlfarmer
The Girlfarmer rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Pastured Poultry Profits
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Five Acres and Independence
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • How to Make a Forest Garden