Start by marking “The Right Hand of Evil” as Want to Read:
The Right Hand of Evil

The Right Hand of Evil

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  4,107 ratings  ·  119 reviews
When the Conways move into their ancestral home in Louisiana after the death of an estranged aunt, it is with the promise of a new beginning. But the house has a life of its own. Abandoned for the last forty years, surrounded by thick trees and a stifling sense of melancholy, the sprawling Victorian house seems to swallow up the sunlight. Deep within the cold cellar and et ...more
Published May 2nd 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Right Hand of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Hand of Evil

The Blackstone Chronicles by John SaulSuffer the Children by John SaulShadows by John SaulThe Manhattan Hunt Club by John SaulBlack Creek Crossing by John Saul
Best John Saul Books
11th out of 34 books — 65 voters
NOS4A2 by Joe HillWorld War Z by Max BrooksHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiTagged by Joseph M. ChironMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Best Horror Books of the 21st Century
118th out of 238 books — 404 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary
I was reading this book while camping. Everyone decided to turn in but me...I sat up alone by the campfire,and read. Before I knew it I got totally scared. I swear I could hear things in the woods going bump in the night,and I am dodging into the tent, burying myself into my sleeping bag, scared shitless..... If you want a fast read, scary novel, , not much thought needed, just a good old fashioned scare...this is one to read....

It's that good!
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
I read this one over Spring break, when I didn't have much time to read. I still finished it in a decent time, though, due to its storyline sucking me in. True, there was cheese there and sometimes dangerously close to overdoing it, and the tale was a bit cliché and used a very stereotypical villain most stories should avoid unless they're going to do it perfectly, but Saul wrote it relatively well so that you cared about most of the characters and wer curious how far he would take it and what w ...more
Rade
This was my first book by John Saul and it probably will not be my last book. He is great way with words where things come off as smooth and not tedious and overdrawn. The story was the actual problem in this book.

Now there was not anything wrong with the actual story (sure, there were some inconsistencies with it and things that were not explained/developed fully) but the problem was that the actual story was quite boring IMO. Filled with plenty of religious material that is brought on by a re
Kate
Jan 21, 2013 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
A family led by a simpering mother and a drunk abusive father inherits a foreboding property in small town Louisiana.

This book contains some typical horror elements-sinister religious vibes, a terrible father figure, a messed up family, suspicious townspeople, blah, blah, blah. It's fairly predictable and the writing is only so-so.

This just wasn't for me. However, if you are looking for stereotypical horror w/heavy evil religious stuff, and writing doesn't matter, then this might be for you.
Kathy Jackson
Sep 12, 2011 Kathy Jackson rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book is rather strange and not one I would necessarily recommend to anyone. It is about a family with a history of devil worship. They move into their ancestral home and immediately things start going wrong. As the story progresses, you see that the ones you at first thought was evil ended up being the good guys and the ones you thought were the good guys were not really so good.

I didn't care for this book the first time I read it and I have to say, my opinion hasn't changed. I am not one f
Carol Brannigan
I liked the concept of the book. However, the execution wasn't as tidy as it could have been. There were a lot of strings that were left loose. Several of the characters had changes that were abruptly reversed without any attempt of explanation. The end would have been better with an epilogue that perhaps undid some of the endings resolution. It was a good read but not Saul's best work.
Emily Crow
A really cheesy melodrama of a horror novel, complete with an alcoholic main character, demonic rites, sacrificial babies, dead animals and lots of vomit. I'm sure it's OK if you like that sort of thing, but it was just too hokey for me.
Kim
Kevin Muirhead
So, it's been a while since I have reviewed any books on here, mainly because it's been awhile since I actually finished reading a book. John Saul did an amazing job of bringing imagery horror to light with this novel. Grasping it from all aspects so that one could really indulge themselves in the story line, growing to like and dislike certain characters, and even at some points be frightened of other characters inpspite of the fact you know they aren't real. I would highly recommend this book ...more
Bandit
Creepy children, possessed children...John Saul is at it again. If you expect originality from his books, you'll be disappointed, the man has worked out a formula decades ago and stuck to it. However, this particular take on the same old subject was better than most of his books, more horror in it, better pacing, less cliched characters. Very quick read, despite its bulk, and a decent way to waste an afternoon.
Mara
I wanted a page turner to read over winter break, so I chose this one since I'm interested in haunted house thriller novels. The beginning of the book was a little dull and I almost gave up on reading it, but I stuck with and am mostly glad I did. The story is about a family, the Conways, that inherits a house that has a terrible history of suicides and murders. The townspeople are suspicious of the Conways and their new house. As the book progresses, the Conway men change and become very creepy ...more
Willow
This book sucked..the witchcraft, voodoo and worshiping the devil...the whole story line was bad. However, I read it to the end, but had skipped a lot of the gory pages.
Patricia
It's okay, but it's not the best book that he has written.
Effy Weasley
the conway family moves to st. albans becaue the father inherited the old family mansion - standing empty and abandoned for the last 40 years. he wants to open a hotel in that mansion but the inhabitants of st. albans are against it because they think that the conway family is somehow connected to the devil/something evil and bad because in the last century there were lots of mysterious happenings at the mansion like suicides, people and babies going missing etc.
soon the oldest son of the family
Mary
Nov 16, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
For the Conway family, moving into their ancestral home in Louisiana after the death of an estranged aunt promised a fresh start for them - a completely new beginning. Situated in the small town of St. Albans, the sprawling Victorian house seems to swallow up the sunlight. Surrounded by dense woods and a stifling sense of melancholy, the residence has sat abandoned for the last forty years.

Deep within the cold cellar and etched into the very walls, is the long dark history of the Conway name -
Candice Mckinney
Ted Conway's Aunt died leaving him the family home. This seems like a good thing for the family. Ted had just lost another job because of his drinking. The family packed up and moved to the big old house that had been vacant for the last 40 years. Kim and Jared are twins and have a special connection where they always know if the other twin is in trouble. There is also a little sister named Molly. Soon after moving into the house, things start happening. Kim's cat is missing, Kim loses her conne ...more
Christina
For the most part, this book had the right elements for me. When I find a book that is set in an old and abandoned mansion in the Deep South, there's very little anyone can do to stop me from hitting the "Purchase" button on Amazon and running upstairs to turn off the lights off and read as much as I can before sleep forces me to cut my time short.

This book starts off as most horror novels do with a truly imperfect and dark character named Ted who just so happens to be the head of the Conway fa
Karissa
The standard thriller story, though this one I could imagine being made into a movie. Not an amazing movie, about the same as the book I would imagine.
Ted Conway is a drunk who has just lost yet another assistant management position at a hotel. His wife is extremely frustrated, but is in a position where she feels like there is nothing she can do with three kids to support. Luckily, Ted's aunt dies and they inherit a beautiful ancestral home. But there are secrets surrounding the old home that
Makaylee Parizek
Very good and I think that he is a very good author. He is also very descriptive in the things that he writes . He also is kind of like a thriller writer in some ways and in others he is a murder mystery writer. This is a very good book and I would recommend it to anyone who would like to read a murder mystery by the greatest author in the world!!!! This has got to be the best book that I have ever read in my whole life it is very descriptive and very very good and It is full of action. I honest ...more
Donna
Kelley
Sep 02, 2013 Kelley added it
I've always enjoyed John Saul, but not this one. Aside from the paranormal activity, which I can believe for the sake of the story, the super-human abilities of these people just annoyed me. The family moves to a new town, into the 40-year abandoned and dilapidated family property.

In two days, the boy is late because he is hanging out with buddies. In less than one school day, the father overcomes alcoholism (okay, that is part of the supernatural stuff), buys a truckload of supplies, fights and
I agreed with other reviewers that this book had an excellent premise, but poor execution of the storyline (included animal torture), was way too religious, and had an ending I didn't feel good about. Not one I'd read again.
Ht
I want to say it was good but different. Honestly, I dont know what to say that this book was really messed up. I cant even put it into words that would make any sense. I do know why I dont read his books, this book was wayyyyyyy out there. if I do have anymore of his books tucked away, they will be given away!
Tracey
I really liked the beginning, middle, and about 100 pages before the end. Satanism? Not my thing. Wish it could've ended with a different cynerio. But John Saul draws you in. Now I'm on another one of his books. He's pretty good!
Matt Seraph
Absolutely no surprises, crushingly on the nose Christian messaging, negative sex roles and sexuality and an actual magical black person - this has it all!
Alex Kargin
Like other John's books around something wrong, but nobody can understand what happening. If you love mystery books, this book about Evil for you.
Courtney Edson
Personally, I loved the book. I would recommend it to anyone! I couldn't put the book down, it was definitely a page turner. Absolutely no dull moments in the book. The characters sound incredible, just the setting, everything was wonderful! I would definitely read this creative book again. At first I was a little sketchy about reading because I haven't ever heard of John Saul until I picked this book up at a yard sale. He is an excellent author, at least by this book it did him justice. I will ...more
Lisa Thompson
This is one of the creepiest books I've ever read. I loved every word, every letter. This is a MUST read for every Horror genre lover.
Amanda
Great horror book - dragged in a few areas but overall suspenseful if you like horror books about demonic possession
Heather
One of my favorites! Very scary and full of heart pounding moments. I could not put this book down.
SCAREDY CAT: anyone read this? 14 92 Nov 03, 2014 11:18AM
The Manhattan Hun...: The Right Hand of Evil (Group Read - February 2013) 21 15 Jun 10, 2013 08:04PM
Did I miss something? 2 36 Jul 08, 2012 06:33AM
  • A Room For The Dead
  • The Return
  • The Forbidden Zone
  • The Uncanny
  • Mr. X
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • Wither (Wendy Ward, #1)
  • The Pines
  • Superstitious
  • Come Out Tonight
  • Shattered
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he