Start by marking “Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1)

Soul Bonds (Common Powers #1)

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,031 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Series: Common Powers; Next Book: Rush in the Dark
Genre: LGBT Paranormal

Mitchell Collins is the king of denial. Five years after the death of his lover, Steve, he finds himself in a gay bar, wondering why he’s even there. He has a rule he won’t break: Don’t take anyone home.

Sammi’s trying to survive on the streets of Houston. It’s not easy for someone with no money, no ide
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Bonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Bonds

Daisiemae
Lynn Lorenz is a new author for me. I had bought the book Soul Bonds quite some time ago, but have always put off reading it. When I noticed that her third installment of the Common Powers series was out this week, and because I have this thing about reading books that are in a series in order, I thought I needed to get off my tush and read the darn thing. I am glad I did.

Sammi is a product of a foster care system that doesn’t work. Ever since a he was a young boy, he has been shifted from one h
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
My Rating: 3 out of 5

Mitch is a nice guy who doesn’t take chances, doesn’t break the rules he’s set for himself, and never does anything to risk his safe, quiet, life. Until he meets Sammi in a gay bar and takes him home. His connection to Sammi is instant and intense and Mitch finds himself breaking every rule he’s ever made and then some.

Sammi turns Mitch’s ordered life upside down, but Mitch wouldn’t have it any other way. Despite getting into trouble at work over something related to Sammi (
Natsroshan
I give 4 because of the fun i had in the beginning (the scenes at the office are too funny__can't say more...).
But really it worth 3,5.
The story is really nice but it lacks of credibility (excuse my poor english, hope you'll understand!).
It's too bad we don't have much explanation about the "soul bond" thing.
Emma Sea
I re-read this recently, to see if I'd been too hard the first time around. For a sex-slave-with-paranormal-powers meets fated mate story, it's perfectly OK.

However, I still think that if your boyfriend is a rescued sex-slave then it is not recommended to say, during sex, "I'm your sex slave babe". I propose that your boyfriend would think sex slaves are the least-arousing thought on the planet, and I don't think he'll cum at mere idea.

Buttercup
Juxian
Feb 19, 2017 Juxian marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
Waste of time, waste of money, whatever you spend to read this book is a waste.
Tara
Jun 01, 2010 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, m-m
OK, This book was a little weird. Sammi is on the run from Donovan. That's when he meets Mitchell. Him and Mitchell turn out to be Soul Mates and they bond instantly. Then it is up to them together to keep Sammi safe from Donovan. Which is no easy task because Donovan has his hired muscle out in droves to bring back Sammi.

I think the problem I had is that this book was all over the place. Sammi's "gift" and the reading of emotions and the bonding all seemed like we were going to a paranormal rom
Mercedes
Worst case of instant love I have come across yet plus too much sex. I know these guys are "bonded" but still. They also don't get a real chance to get to know each other in the book since they are apart most of the time.

Sammi is OK but Mitchell makes some pretty idiotic decisions there. I cant believe I find myself saying Edward Unconditionally is better. Yikes!
Charly
Nov 02, 2012 Charly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story but very little depth

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- Sweet story of a guy who’s been abused finally finding a gentle, compassionate lover who treats him with respect.
- Mitchell’s best friend, Brian, is devoted and considerate. He’s one of my favorite parts of the book, actually, and I look forward to reading about his own romance in Rush in the Dark.
- There’s a stark, blunt scene that takes place in a free clinic and involves
Julia
Feb 27, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I would've liked this one more, but everything felt rushed to me. I like insta-love stories and understand the whole mate thing, but it felt odd to me that Mitchell, who had no clue about such things, was so accepting so quickly. A few pages in and he's saying, "I love you?" Even the relationship with Oscar felt rushed. After two days of employment he's offering to promote him from dishwasher to chef and saying he's the best employee he's ever had? 2.5 hurry-it-right-along stars
Charlie Richards
Jun 02, 2011 Charlie Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story. Sammi is sweet, which is odd considering what he's been through. At times he makes some decisions that make me want to smack him, but since he's been a sex slave for the last several years and not used to making his own decisions, I suppose that's par for the course. I really liked Mitchell. His acceptance of Sammi and drive to keep him by his side was heart-warming. May we all find someone as devoted as he. I plan to look at the rest of the series.
Julia
Mar 05, 2010 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
Another one that went back and forth for me. In the end, it was just too heavy on the paranormal (unlike the third in the series) and the overused reference "backdoor" just bothered me. However, the characters are fantastic and lovable, the storyline wasn't great, but good, and certainly kept me reading until the end. Happily, I might add.
Erin (PT)
The short review: this is one of the worst books I have ever read.

The long review can be found on my blog: here.
*~*~*Kael*~*~*
My G-d, no! No, no, no, no!! This has NOTHING to do with any of the insta-love and everything to do with, well, everything else; the writing, the editing, the pacing, the dialogue, everything!! Just NO!!
Christy Duke
'Soul Bonds' is book one in the 'Common Powers' series by the incomparable Lynn Lorenz. This is an author whom I greatly enjoy and try to keep reading as much as possible. Granted, I've definitely not been able to get to as many of her backlist as I would like, but I'm still working my way through. When I read the description for this book, my heart went out to Sammi, and that was just from the blurb. I had a pretty good feeling that this would be my type of story. I love it when I'm right.

The s
The Novel Approach Reviews
Soul Bonds begins with Sammi on the run from Donovan, and that’s when Sammi heads towards a bar where he hopes to find someone who will hide him until he figures out what to do. Instead, what he finds is Mitchell, a man who’d lost someone and has never quite recovered from it, but upon meeting Sammi, he instantly starts to feel something again. Mitchell turns out to be Sammi’s soul mate, and not only can Sammi read Mitchell’s thoughts but Mitchell can read Sammi’s also. Not to mention, their att ...more
ElaineY
May 16, 2010 ElaineY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Sammi is another one of those boy-man protags I can but help falling for. Vulnerable, optimistic, cheery, fearful...that kind of mix that makes me go all protective.

I've had Soul Bonds since it came out in June 2008. After reading all the reviews and comments, I bought the 2nd and 3rd book. I'm not sure what took me so long to get to reading them but I think it's my reading phases. At the time I bought the books, I was 100% not into paranormals of ANY kind and I'd seen there were paranormal elem
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 20, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Ohhhh, this book was just too full of dumb things. It's not worth rewriting my notes for, but here's some comments I made while reading the book --

Arrrrrg, another serious case of insta-love. Insta-love with telepathy. I may gag.

Here's a free clue for the MC -- having phone sex in an open cubicle in the middle of a work day is a REALLY STUPID IDEA.

Okay, and now we're getting Vatican City involved in purchasing sex slaves??? I may throw this one across the room in just a minute or two.

Aaaaaaannnn
Ami
Feb 28, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book have several things that MIGHT annoy me, i.e. instant love and jumping straight into sex in the name of "soul mate", with a number of sex scenes ... but somehow Lynn Lorenz's writing is able to win me over instead.

I think the winning element is the character of Sammi. He's just an admirable rent-boy. Being a sex slave that endures abuse, he is able to stand up to Donovan (his master), getting away using his wit, to be able to land Mitchell (as his love) as well as a job of his o
Angie
Dec 13, 2016 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads Review Team~
This book was just ok for me. The blurb grabbed my attention but some of this book was really farfetched. The whole soul mate thing had potential but fizzled out for me. This book had a lot of mumbled up story line and things just didn’t seem to mess. It wasn’t so horrible I couldn’t read it and had to stop, it just wasn’t that great that I am not sure if I will read the next one in the series.
Characters: well
Julesmarie
Mar 18, 2012 Julesmarie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

This was okay. The instant-love thing between Mitchell and Sammi was not handled as well as I would have liked it to be. It was never explained well why it happened, or what the reason was. I'm hoping that, like Sammi and Brian's emotion-reading thing, it might get explained a little better in book 2. But it does frustrate me, even if that's true, that I have to read a 2nd book to make sense of the first.

The only thing that gets this the extra .5 star is Sammi. He totally charmed me and
Becky Condit
Apr 01, 2012 Becky Condit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Lorenz’s SOUL BONDS is a thrilling story full of suspense, romance, and a touch of the paranormal. The characters enjoy an instant love attraction that normally annoys me, but in this case it works and I even had an instant attraction to Sammi and Mitchell.
I enjoyed the chase, the result of getting help from friends in the community, the HEA, and most especially what happens to the villain. Sammi is sweet, Mitchell is kind if a bit foolish, and his best friend Brian is steadfast and well-co
Teresa
This was slightly ridiculous. The ease in which Mitchell accepts the soulmate insta love is crazy and their reactions to events odd. Plus (view spoiler)
Pushubuu
Nov 21, 2009 Pushubuu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
Okey folks, we have insta-love
Alex Hahn
I really liked that it had paranormal but also enough that it could seem possible.
Charlinda Jenkins
Apr 28, 2014 Charlinda Jenkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I even finished this. I skimmed through the middle and end. Some parts just made me cringe.
Brenda (b)
Sammi captured my heart. He needed and deserved Mitchell so much. I'm hoping the second story has more about them because Sammi really needs to know about his family.
Alina
Aug 16, 2011 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Sweet, intense story, very likeable characters, hot sex and wonderful romance. I'm off to read the sequels.
Tina
Apr 06, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-i-love
Loved the series and never reviewed it.

Need to remedy that...
Natosha Wilson
Dec 08, 2016 Natosha Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book but I wish it would have been more revealing about some of he things that happened. I feel like their is still more of a story here that we did not get in this book. Hopefully that will be what book two is.

Sammi has every reason to be acted because he is definitely running for his life against his former boss per say. Sammi was held as a sex Slave and once he escapes Donavan would do whatever is necessary to get back his cash cow in Sammi including kill the ones who may stan
  • Easy
  • Notturno (The Hours Trilogy #1)
  • Pyromancer
  • Extinction (Refuge Shifters, #1)
  • Perfect Man
  • Survival
  • Falling
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • With Love (With or Without, #0.5)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Handyman (Handyman #1)
  • Mind F*cked (Faerily Imperfect, #1)
  • Giving Up the Ghost (Laying a Ghost, #2)
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
(1)gay romance

I’m from New Orleans, that’s N’awlins for those of you who speak the language. I grew up in the Riverbend, or Carrollton, for the old timers, but was a Quarter rat from the age of 11, taking 3 buses to go to art class on Burgundy Street at the Cabrini Doll Museum and NORD center. I attended Univers
More about Lynn Lorenz...

Common Powers (3 books)
  • Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)