Start by marking “Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1)

Soul Bonds (Common Powers #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  960 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Series: Common Powers; Next Book: Rush in the Dark
Genre: LGBT Paranormal

Mitchell Collins is the king of denial. Five years after the death of his lover, Steve, he finds himself in a gay bar, wondering why he’s even there. He has a rule he won’t break: Don’t take anyone home.

Sammi’s trying to survive on the streets of Houston. It’s not easy for someone with no money, no ide
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Bonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Bonds

Daisiemae
Lynn Lorenz is a new author for me. I had bought the book Soul Bonds quite some time ago, but have always put off reading it. When I noticed that her third installment of the Common Powers series was out this week, and because I have this thing about reading books that are in a series in order, I thought I needed to get off my tush and read the darn thing. I am glad I did.

Sammi is a product of a foster care system that doesn’t work. Ever since a he was a young boy, he has been shifted from one h
Christina
My Rating: 3 out of 5

Mitch is a nice guy who doesn’t take chances, doesn’t break the rules he’s set for himself, and never does anything to risk his safe, quiet, life. Until he meets Sammi in a gay bar and takes him home. His connection to Sammi is instant and intense and Mitch finds himself breaking every rule he’s ever made and then some.

Sammi turns Mitch’s ordered life upside down, but Mitch wouldn’t have it any other way. Despite getting into trouble at work over something related to Sammi (
Natsroshan
I give 4 because of the fun i had in the beginning (the scenes at the office are too funny__can't say more...).
But really it worth 3,5.
The story is really nice but it lacks of credibility (excuse my poor english, hope you'll understand!).
It's too bad we don't have much explanation about the "soul bond" thing.
Buttercup
Emma Sea
I re-read this recently, to see if I'd been too hard the first time around. For a sex-slave-with-paranormal-powers meets fated mate story, it's perfectly OK.

However, I still think that if your boyfriend is a rescued sex-slave then it is not recommended to say, during sex, "I'm your sex slave babe". I propose that your boyfriend would think sex slaves are the least-arousing thought on the planet, and I don't think he'll cum at mere idea.

Tara
OK, This book was a little weird. Sammi is on the run from Donovan. That's when he meets Mitchell. Him and Mitchell turn out to be Soul Mates and they bond instantly. Then it is up to them together to keep Sammi safe from Donovan. Which is no easy task because Donovan has his hired muscle out in droves to bring back Sammi.

I think the problem I had is that this book was all over the place. Sammi's "gift" and the reading of emotions and the bonding all seemed like we were going to a paranormal rom
Mercedes
Worst case of instant love I have come across yet plus too much sex. I know these guys are "bonded" but still. They also don't get a real chance to get to know each other in the book since they are apart most of the time.

Sammi is OK but Mitchell makes some pretty idiotic decisions there. I cant believe I find myself saying Edward Unconditionally is better. Yikes!
Charly
Sweet story but very little depth

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- Sweet story of a guy who’s been abused finally finding a gentle, compassionate lover who treats him with respect.
- Mitchell’s best friend, Brian, is devoted and considerate. He’s one of my favorite parts of the book, actually, and I look forward to reading about his own romance in Rush in the Dark.
- There’s a stark, blunt scene that takes place in a free clinic and involves
Julia
I would've liked this one more, but everything felt rushed to me. I like insta-love stories and understand the whole mate thing, but it felt odd to me that Mitchell, who had no clue about such things, was so accepting so quickly. A few pages in and he's saying, "I love you?" Even the relationship with Oscar felt rushed. After two days of employment he's offering to promote him from dishwasher to chef and saying he's the best employee he's ever had? 2.5 hurry-it-right-along stars
Charlie Richards
I enjoyed the story. Sammi is sweet, which is odd considering what he's been through. At times he makes some decisions that make me want to smack him, but since he's been a sex slave for the last several years and not used to making his own decisions, I suppose that's par for the course. I really liked Mitchell. His acceptance of Sammi and drive to keep him by his side was heart-warming. May we all find someone as devoted as he. I plan to look at the rest of the series.
Julia
Another one that went back and forth for me. In the end, it was just too heavy on the paranormal (unlike the third in the series) and the overused reference "backdoor" just bothered me. However, the characters are fantastic and lovable, the storyline wasn't great, but good, and certainly kept me reading until the end. Happily, I might add.
Erin (PT)
The short review: this is one of the worst books I have ever read.

The long review can be found on my blog: here.
ElaineY
Sammi is another one of those boy-man protags I can but help falling for. Vulnerable, optimistic, cheery, fearful...that kind of mix that makes me go all protective.

I've had Soul Bonds since it came out in June 2008. After reading all the reviews and comments, I bought the 2nd and 3rd book. I'm not sure what took me so long to get to reading them but I think it's my reading phases. At the time I bought the books, I was 100% not into paranormals of ANY kind and I'd seen there were paranormal elem
Plainbrownwrapper
Ohhhh, this book was just too full of dumb things. It's not worth rewriting my notes for, but here's some comments I made while reading the book --

Arrrrrg, another serious case of insta-love. Insta-love with telepathy. I may gag.

Here's a free clue for the MC -- having phone sex in an open cubicle in the middle of a work day is a REALLY STUPID IDEA.

Okay, and now we're getting Vatican City involved in purchasing sex slaves??? I may throw this one across the room in just a minute or two.

Aaaaaaannnn
Ami
While this book have several things that MIGHT annoy me, i.e. instant love and jumping straight into sex in the name of "soul mate", with a number of sex scenes ... but somehow Lynn Lorenz's writing is able to win me over instead.

I think the winning element is the character of Sammi. He's just an admirable rent-boy. Being a sex slave that endures abuse, he is able to stand up to Donovan (his master), getting away using his wit, to be able to land Mitchell (as his love) as well as a job of his o
Becky Condit
Lynn Lorenz’s SOUL BONDS is a thrilling story full of suspense, romance, and a touch of the paranormal. The characters enjoy an instant love attraction that normally annoys me, but in this case it works and I even had an instant attraction to Sammi and Mitchell.
I enjoyed the chase, the result of getting help from friends in the community, the HEA, and most especially what happens to the villain. Sammi is sweet, Mitchell is kind if a bit foolish, and his best friend Brian is steadfast and well-co
Julesmarie

This was okay. The instant-love thing between Mitchell and Sammi was not handled as well as I would have liked it to be. It was never explained well why it happened, or what the reason was. I'm hoping that, like Sammi and Brian's emotion-reading thing, it might get explained a little better in book 2. But it does frustrate me, even if that's true, that I have to read a 2nd book to make sense of the first.

The only thing that gets this the extra .5 star is Sammi. He totally charmed me and
Charlinda Jenkins
I don't know how I even finished this. I skimmed through the middle and end. Some parts just made me cringe.
Lala
3.5 stars.

I read Edward Unconditionally first and was intrigued enough by Sammi and Mitchell to pick up their book. I still like both of the heroes, but the story hit a couple of UNhappy buttons of mine.

Firstly, this was the MOST INSTANT insta-love I've EVER read. No doubts, no procrastination...the heroes met, had sex, established their soul bond and claimed their undying love in the first 8% of the book. The rest was just some back-and-forth and technicalities.

Donovan's thug's gall was just a
Teresa
This was slightly ridiculous. The ease in which Mitchell accepts the soulmate insta love is crazy and their reactions to events odd. Plus (view spoiler)
Brenda (b)
Sammi captured my heart. He needed and deserved Mitchell so much. I'm hoping the second story has more about them because Sammi really needs to know about his family.
Alina
Loved it!
Sweet, intense story, very likeable characters, hot sex and wonderful romance. I'm off to read the sequels.
Alex Hahn
I really liked that it had paranormal but also enough that it could seem possible.
Tina
Loved the series and never reviewed it.

Need to remedy that...
Pushubuu
Okey folks, we have insta-love
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Seriously, he was beaten in all of his foster homes? Yeah, foster care sucks but there are oodles of good foster parents out there!

Good that despite the urgency, Mitchell stopped to find condoms.

This is mostly sex but so far it's good stuff. The phone sex scene was really hot.

25-50 sexual encounters a year seems small for a sex slave. That's less than one a week even at the highest.

Really good depiction of claustrophobia. He held it together better than I would have.

I don't like that Mitchel
Chancey Knowles
I can ignore silly writing even if it briefly throws me out of a story for example calling a man's anus a portal. But it is offensive for a man, who supposedly loves a recently rescued young man that was severely abused & literally a sex slave, to yell out in the throws of sex that he's the sex slave now. I understand he's trying to help this young main gain some control of his life & give him a taste of power, but those words should never have been said. I'm still bothered by how lightl ...more
Shirley Frances
I've had this book on my TBR shelf for a long time and always hesitated when I was gonna read it. The book as a whole was not bad, it just went too fast for me in the romance department and left me feeling nothing for the characters. Its mostly a 2 star book but I added another one because I like the soul mates concept of the book, even if I feel the "Soul Bond" was not developed properly and that the author could have done much better with it.

I liked the characters Sammi and Mitchell, but they
Christy Loves 2 Read
'Soul Bonds' is book one in the 'Common Powers' series by the incomparable Lynn Lorenz. This is an author whom I greatly enjoy and try to keep reading as much as possible. Granted, I've definitely not been able to get to as many of her backlist as I would like, but I'm still working my way through. When I read the description for this book, my heart went out to Sammi, and that was just from the blurb. I had a pretty good feeling that this would be my type of story. I love it when I'm right.

The s
Ann Roberts
I really enjoyed the main bulk of the story. The writing was fairly solid and the plot was not too contrived. I appreciated the strong bond between the main characters, the struggle for the one to distance himself from the pain of his past relationship, and the dynamics between the two main characters and Brian, a close friend. There are a lot of positive qualities that are played up, such as not letting your past mistakes or circumstances get you down and the typical money/no money conflicts. M ...more
  • Easy
  • Perfect Man
  • With Love (With or Without, #0.5)
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Hunger (Chicken Ranch, #1)
  • Notturno (The Hours Trilogy #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Survival
  • Pretty Man
  • Extinction (Refuge Shifters, #1)
  • Altered Heart
  • Souls Deep
  • Giving Up the Ghost (Laying a Ghost, #2)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Nick of Time (Preters, #2)
  • Healing Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #2)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
(1)gay romance

I’m from New Orleans, that’s N’awlins for those of you who speak the language. I grew up in the Riverbend, or Carrollton, for the old timers, but was a Quarter rat from the age of 11, taking 3 buses to go to art class on Burgundy Street at the Cabrini Doll Museum and NORD center. I attended Univers
More about Lynn Lorenz...

Common Powers (3 books)
  • Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3) Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1) Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2) Bayou's End (Rougaroux Social Club, #2) Best Vacation That Never Was