Start by marking “Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2)

Vamps and the City (Love at Stake #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  9,870 ratings  ·  403 reviews

Who says a vamp can't have it all?

Darcy Newhart thought it was a stroke of genius—the first–ever reality TV show where mortals vie with vampires for the title of The Sexiest Man on Earth. As the show's director, Darcy's career would be on track again. And she can finally have a life apart from the vampire harem. Okay, so she's still technically dead, but two out of three

Kindle Edition, Reprint edition, 404 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 by HarperCollins Publisher (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Vamps and the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vamps and the City

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
5-Star Books
147th out of 373 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Dinjolina
People did not seem to like this book as much as the other Love at stake series.

Well I did!
In this day and age a lot of people love to watch reality shows.
I’m not one of them but I acknowledge that they can have spark.
This particular vampire show made me shed laughter tears all over the place.
I love the humor in these books!

‘You see. It is easy!’ Otto started to lower the chair when he yelped ‘Aagh!’ The chair tipped spilling Maria Consuela onto the floor whit a splat. Her scream was cut off whe
Yodamom
Audiobook-
Cute fun story, light humor, light drama, extra cheese.
I like this series there is a sense of fun that you don't find with many paranormal romance reads. It's a perfect audiobook for those long drives, walks... when you just want something light to chuckle at and forget the time.
What happened when humans are sneaked onto the Sexiest Man in the Universe which is supposed to have only vampire contestants ? Will the sexiest man be human ? No, it is impossible, just ask the vampires. Yes,
Beth (^v^)/
A vast improvement on the first in the series, I'm glad I kept reading. Fun and slightly surprising. PRN books have become a little predictable.

Boy meets mortal, mortal falls in love with vampire, vampire can't live without mortal. Sparkling may occur.

(Isn't that the best picture ever?)

Normally, I want to shake the crap out of the mortal.

But there's always a HEA, and that makes me happy.

I liked this story. First because the female vampire wasn't completely pathetic. She hates being a vampire,
Denni
Nov 20, 2008 Denni rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of light, slapstick vampire humor
Did I read the same book? Alot of reviews label this book as a winner...the winner of what, a junior high writing contest? The winner in the "cheesy" catagory maybe.

Not my cuppa. Fans of light, slapstick vampire humor may enjoy tho.
Liz
Vamps and the City is the second book in the Love at Stake series from Kerrelyn Sparks. This one only got 2 stars from me. It wasn't bad. I just didn't really care for it. But since I didn't hate it, I didn't give it 1 star.

In this book, Darcy Newhart is the focus. In book 1, she was less than a bit player. In fact, I could barely remember her. I had to go on Kerrelyn Sparks' website to remember who and what she was. Here, she is lacking purpose and is very bored. I wasn't sure if she was a vamp
Insidious
Ugh. Austin was such jerk it made it hard for me to enjoy the story. Frankly, I liked the nonromance parts of the book much better because I wasn't grinding my teeth over Austin's attitude. He just was not an admirable hero at all.
MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

(view spoiler)
Danielle Book Mafia Enforcer- Mad Rogan's Boo
So I didn't hate this book. It has some good points, some things that annoyed me, and some things that were just plain COOOOORRRRNNNYYY! Did I think this book was LOL funny? Naaaah. More like "Oh, that's cute" cue the small smile.

The GOOD:

I liked Darcy up until about 83% through the book. She got really hot and cold at that point about her relationship with Austin and it became really annoying. Other than that she was strong, indepedent, but also likable aside from her whiny "Woe is me, I'm a
Alexandria Tale
2.5

I was terribly disappointed. Their romance didn't convinced me at all. The first one because of the overuse of "I love you". I was sick of it. It seems they proclaimed their love in every page until I found it became a cheap thing. The second one was the fact that they were not in love, but in lust. There's no friggin way they loved each other when they spent so little time together (at the beginning of their confession). And I'm sick with the way ms. Sparks tried to convinced us, readers, th
Monica
This is the second book in the Love at Stake series. I read the first one on an all night work shift...it was good, this one was way better. I love the depth Sparks brings to her characters, how you can actually see them caught between disaster and happiness and longing and pain. Its amazing. I love Darcy and Austin, they are adorable together, now I am ready to see Connor get his girl. I am a bit annoyed that Darcy couldn't see past her anger to not blame Connor so much, he just wanted to try a ...more
valee
I really enjoy reading it, but I can't say that I adored it. I mean, the story is really nice and the book is a very interesting, funny, quick read.

Nevertheless, I can't enjoy this books as much as I do others more serious. Comedy is nice, but makes me not take the book as serious as I take other prn romances. Even Lynsay Sand's books were a bit more mature and with a more developed plot than this ones. Maybe the problem is that the word that describes these books is "cheesy". LOL. I like them,
Дани
Много ми хареса тази книга! Беше по-свежа от колкото първата с това риалити шоу, което, по мое мнение, беше доста особено странно, като оставим на страна вампирите в него, или пък смъртните, зависи от коя гледна точка виждаш... :D
Fanny

Vamps And The City es el segundo libro de la serie Love At Stake de la autora Kerrelyn Sparks y tiene como protagonistas a Austin ( Adam ) y Darcy, personajes secundarios en el libro anterior.
Aunque en algunas ocasiones me costo un poco de trabajo engancharme con la trama es una historia que vale la pena leer solo por lo divertida que es, mientras leia no podia evitar reirme de las situaciones en las que se metian los personjes.
Si quieres una lectura ligera y divertida te recomiendo esta saga, t
Jenifer
The second in the Love at Stake series, this book is just as good as the first.

Combining comedy, romance, and some interesting situations this book has become one of my favorites.

Meet Austin, a man who believes he is helping save innocent lives by joining the CIA Stake-Out team and helping rid the world of the creatures known as vampires, who is on his next mission: join onto DVN's newest show and gather information on the vampires.

Meet Darcy, former journalist turned vampire hoping to start a
Natasha
Vamps and the City is the second novel in the Love at Stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks. I'm really enjoying this series. Some are better than others, but I find I always enjoy Kerrelyn Sparks books. If your a fan of Lynsay Sands, then you should check out Sparks! Both guarantee a great, light read!

I didn't read this series in order, like I usually would and should, but even though I didn't read it in order, I wasn't completely lost. Sure, you get more of a background on the characters if you rea
Lover of Romance
Austin Erickson is a agent in the CIA, and he works for Sean Whealan, Shanna's Father who is determined to free his daughter. Sean thinks his daughter is captive against her will by vampires including the love of her life. Austin is part of the team that goes after vampires, determined to destroy every one of them. Shanna and Roman's wedding is coming up, and her father is going balistic over the news. He desperately wants his daughter back. On stake out one night, orders from Sean to try to see ...more
Holjo
Summary: Darcy Newhart used to be part of Roman Draganesti's vampire harem. This meant that she lived in Roman's home and never had to worry about working or taking care of herself. Most of the harem was perfectly content with this arrangement, but Darcy is a modern woman and she desperately missed her human life. So when Roman fell in love with Shanna in How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire, and then freed his harem to make their own lives, Darcy was thrilled.

There aren't a lot of job options for
Amanda
Carolyn F.
3.5 stars. Kind of a mad-cap happy vampire world. Darcy is a semi-new vampire that is the director of a new reality show starring Roman's ex-harem girls. Austin, from book one and one of the Stake-Out team, gets on the reality show and falls for Darcy convincing himself that she's a living human, but she's really a vampire. Now he's all conflicted and Darcy is trying not to get her heart broken.

Cute book. The series is enjoyable but I think I'm going to hold off on reading the rest because I do
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Originally posted at The Book Nymphoparanormal AUDIOBOOK smartfunnyVAMPS AND THE CITY by Kerrelyn Sparks was another fun and light listen. I liked the second book in the Love at Stake series a little more than the first book. I found the humor funnier and I connected better with the couple.

VAMPS AND THE CITY's plot of areality TV in the Vampire World similar to the Bachelor was a fun way to get Darcy and Austin together and to showcase some great side characters.

Like many paranormal romance series each book is about a diffe
Christine

In this, the second book in the Love at Stake (ouch) series, I realized why I don't like the romance -- it's lust at first sight with "love" being defined entirely through chemistry. In this case, the two see each other, can't stop thinking about one another, and quickly decide they're in love despite the fact that nothing else draws them together at all. In the "that which keeps them together" vs "that which tears them apart" dynamic, the latter overwhelmed the former by quite a bit. A
Joanne
I have read other reviews of this book that have labeled the humor and writing as being "cheesy." Well, if that is the case then I must like cheesy humor and writing. I found myself laughing out loud at the antics and just flat out genius silliness that Kerrelyn Sparks pours into her books. If I am outside the norm because of that, then that is fine, I can accept that happily.

I actually liked Darcy, the main character in this book. She was strong, independent, quick-witted, has a strong work eth
Joy
I enjoyed this second installment of the Love At Stake series. I didn't read the description so I didn't know what to expect, but it worked out well for me.

There's the usual instant attraction between mortal and vampire but what I appreciated is the parallel sides of both the Vampire and human world. I just love the vampiric counterparts, DVN is really amusing.

After four years, Darcy still couldn't get over the truth that she's a vampire. It took a mortal, Austin, to set her straight. I love t
Barbara ★
I instantly recognized this story so I assume I've read it before. However I don't remember a single thing about it so I may as well read it again.

Austin Erickson is a vampire slayer who works for the CIA's Stake-Out Team. His job is to find the CIA director's daughter who was apparently kidnapped by vampires. In his search he comes across Darcy Newhart, the director of the reality show, The Sexiest Man on Earth. He is instantly smitten with Darcy whom he believes is human no vampire at all.

The
Adele
This is Shaping up to be one of those series.
the ones where you inhale every book. and can't get enough of the world that they are created in.
I am falling in love with these vampires as they are falling in love with each other.
the main focus of this book Is Darcy and Austin.
Darcy is a vampire who was turned against her will ( only to save her life) she had regretted it lever science. she lost her family and her job as a news presenter that day. so when she goes for a job at DVN for a journalist
Hbeebti
This was really cute. The first book about dentist and now this one about a reality TV show . It was like The Bachelor for Vampires. Lol . Totally cute. I liked Darcy from the previous book. Maybe it was because she was one of nicest of the harem to Shanna. But yeah the harem is back and they are in the reality show to find a new master. I enjoyed how they were completely annoying and me wanting to strangle them to seeing them mature a little by the end. Darcy and Adam/Austin were great and they ...more
Mara
This book was a lot better than the first in the series, thanks to a less cliched romance, more intriguing main couple, and a gimmicky setting that worked for me (similarly to the way the Talisman Hie, the supernatural version of the Amazing Race, worked for me in Kresley Cole's No Rest for the Wicked). Basically, a bunch of vampires, and some humans are all involved in the making of a vampire Bachelorette, except some of those humans are actually slayers undercover. Shenanigans ensue.

While I w
Ren
Jan 09, 2011 Ren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, paranormal romance fans, fans of story with humor...
The story in this book is much the same like the previous book, instead the heroine is a vampire, and the hero is a mortal but with special ability

Darcy Newheart, is a newly turned vampire (she turned 4 years ago), and once a part of Roman's harem member (Roman is hero from How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks. When Roman get married so the harem is dismissed. The harem's member is desperate of course, without new master, they cant do anything, so Darcy take a step forward. She apply as an anchor for DVN (Digital Vampire Network)
Daniela
Way to take a new twist to this genre with yet another idea. Kerrelyn Sparks manages to keep the mood light despite the un-dead vs. live people, without letting you off the hook until the end. Her books are such enjoyable nail biters... I am already on to number 3 and 4.

In this book vampire slayer Austin sees the woman of his dreams, Darcy, when observing the local vampire TV station. As there are a few mortals working with vampires it is unclear for a long time wether she is human or vampire...
Julianna
Sep 20, 2012 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of PNR Romance, Romantic Comedy, The Bachelorette
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Vamps and the City was another great installment in the Love at Stake series. It was a really fun read that was essentially a paranormal spoof of The Bachelorette, except in this case, rather than having only one bachelorette, there are five, the cast-off harem of Roman Dragenesti from the first book. I'm normally not a big fan of reality TV and have never actually watched The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I wasn't quite sure how I would like the premise when I start
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Jan 10, 2013 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire lovers and those who like Humor in their reading
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: PA Lupton, the Enabler supreme
So I generally don't like books where the heroine is a vamp and the hero a mortal, that being said I really enjoyed Kerrelyn Sparks' Vamps and the City.

Using the TV station as a backdrop was sheer genius...With Darcy being a reluctant Vamp and Austin a Vamp Slayer..but what I really loved was the reality show KS created it was a hoot! Slimy bosses and casting couches and all. Again KS has created great characters, a great story and a very fun read:)

A fun 3.5 star read for me. I liked it..but th
  • Sugarplums and Scandal
  • Single White Vampire (Argeneau #3)
  • Zen and the Art of Vampires (Dark Ones, #6)
  • Bled Dry (Vegas Vampires, #3)
  • Wait Till Your Vampire Gets Home (Broken Heart, #4)
  • I Only Have Fangs for You (Young Brothers, #3)
Kerrelyn Sparks is the New York Times bestselling author of a series that mimics its sexy heroes by refusing to die. Now up to book thirteen, the Love at Stake series spreads laughter worldwide in thirteen different languages. In spite of a tendency to nibble on necks or howl at the moon, Kerrelyn’s vampire and shapeshifter heroes are still wonderfully romantic.

Please visit www.kerrelynsparks.com
More about Kerrelyn Sparks...

Love at Stake (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
  • Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3)
  • The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4)
  • All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5)
  • Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6)
  • Forbidden Nights with a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7)
  • The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake, #8)
  • Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9)
  • Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10)
  • Sexiest Vampire Alive (Love at Stake, #11)
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4) Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3) All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5) Forbidden Nights with a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7)

“Shanna was across the room with her new husband, chatting happily with Gregori's mother.
With a sly grin, Gregori motioned toward them. "Let's go congratulate Roman for taking five hundred years to find a bride.”
44 likes