Start by marking “A Glass of Water” as Want to Read:
A Glass of Water

A Glass of Water

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Award-winning memoirist, poet, and activist, Jimmy Santiago Baca has established himself as an inspiring and important spokesperson for the Chicano experience, continually giving voice to the voiceless. His first novel, A Glass of Water is a gripping tale of family, loyalty, ambition, and revenge that takes us inside the tragedies unfurling along our country’s borders. Hav ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about A Glass of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glass of Water

J
I love Jimmy Santiago Baca's poetry so, when I was walking around the book store today and, "A Glass of Water" caught my attention, I sat down for a quick sip. It didn't take long for me to decide to buy the book. This is his first novel (according to the jacket) and it is incredible. It was so engaging that I read it entirely in one sitting - a 4 hour drink to be exact.

I don't want to give any spoilers so I will be deliberately brief. The story is about two brothers whose divergent paths conve
Tara
This book had marvelous spots of prose ("As far as the eye could follow ran a continuous background of cottonwoods concealing the Rio Grande, a wall of leaves so dense that midday air was blue under it's canopy"), and a plot with a suprise twist, but I had trouble following the multiple POVs. They didn't quite patch together as well as, say, Sherrie Flick did in Reconsidering Happiness. I was at times confused, out of place in time, and wanted more of certain characters than others. Still, fans ...more
Stephanie Pendrys
I had heard of Jimmy Santiago Baca's poetry and this book caught my eye at the library. It was a quick read and filled with some really remarkable prose; there were many lines that I read two or three times in an attempt to commit them to memory. n. A Glass of Water examines the human toll of immigrant labor practices from the point of view of those inside the workforce, who believed in the myths of success and freedom only to realize too late that neither can be achieved because of a corrupt an ...more
Jeffrey
In the description alone the phrase "ever-elusive" American Dream, but in this novel Santiago Baca's main characters, the two brothers who are the center of the novel, do achieve their so-called American Dream to the extent that such a thing can ever be said to be truly had.
Maybe I appreciate his honesty, his scathing critiques of our country while simultaneously giving his characters the wherewithall to claim their country and, if not to thrive in it, than to definitely find measures of success
Katie
I think this was Baca's first novel. He writes more short stories and poetry. Anyway, my fella really likes him, being from New Mexico and all, so I originally brought the book home for him.

It's a very interesting story of a family and their progression through the years. The language was beautiful; you could tell Baca is a poet. I don't think I fully appreciated the actual words. Sometimes the stories are too interesting for me to pay attention to really beautiful, descriptive language. A lot
Cassandra Slattery
A Glass of Water is an important novel that should be read by all. It is a riveting story about the clash of ambition and loyalty, revenge and justice, as a family fights for survival and reinvents the American Dream. Mr. Baca boldly explores the brutal devastation of the U.S. immigration practices that are truly an atrocious affront to humanity. He shows this profoundly horrific reality without seeming predictable or didactic. It is a heartfelt and inspiring story about brotherhood and persever ...more
Carrie
I enjoyed this book. Style of writing is almost prose-like. Living in an area where there is a good-sized Latino population, this book brings out my empathy for these people who are simply searching for a better life for themselves and their families. It is unfortunate for them that they do not know how to/choose not to/ or are unable to move to the U.S. in a legal manner. Each of the characters in the book just don't seem quite developed enough for me to give this book a "4" rating.

Colin
3.5 stars on this one. There were moving and beautifully written parts of this book. I felt like the character of the father was pretty typical disability-as-metaphorical-tragedy, though. However, Baca's poetic gifts shine in here, and there's some awesome stuff about oppression, resistance and community-building. It's a good, quick read.
Rose  Mary Achey
Hispanic illegals work their entire lives...have two sons who grow up to become landowners.
Terry Sterling
Eric
Dec 29, 2010 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Fast read, I cant decide what bothered me about this book. Either that the characters were not as developed as I would have liked or that I didnt like what parts of them developed as??? I cant put my finger on it. That being said I liked this book. I must have since I couldnt put it down.
Pat
Another small gem! This book was about a Hispanic family and their pursuit of the American Dream. Or Not.
This book will break your heart; but worth the read. Beautifully written prose!
Kate
Gave up halfway in.....the writing was sparse and did not grab me the way I thought it would and OMG the cliche plot!!!! Two macho brothers fall for the same woman - come on!!
Stan Lanier
This tale of contemporary Mexican Americans affords Baca the platform from which he shows the dignity of struggle inherent in the lives of brown skinned people in the Southwest.
Kathleen Schuerger
Another contribution to border literature. Very poetic, maybe overly so. A fresh, sympathetic approach to the problems of migrant labor in the Southwest.
Siri
I enjoyed this book. Current day fiction from a chicano/mexican immigrant point of view. Very interested and entertaining.
KellyWells
This was a good read. Although it was fiction, it gave a raw look into the life of migrant workers in the southwest.
Helen
Great writing but a hard book to read, the lives of the characters are so harsh.
Kym
I am currently reading and love the language and the flow of the book!
Courtney Cerefice
Love his writing, but this wasn't my favorite.
Kate
Great language and strongly human
Linda
Nice writing, insightful, sad.
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Lisa Wright
Lisa Wright marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Chelsie
Chelsie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jimmy Santiago Baca of Apache and Chicano descent is an American poet and writer.
More about Jimmy Santiago Baca...
A Place to Stand Martín & Meditations on the South Valley Black Mesa Poems Healing Earthquakes Immigrants in Our Own Land & Selected Early Poems